Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

boner confessor posted:

sorta, in the same way that only having one eye impedes depth perception. like you still have it but you have to rely on other cues. the bigger problem there is redundancy i would think

Why do you still give out your wholly uninformed opinion on LIDAR? Like what's compelling these answers to questions nobody directed at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JawnV6 posted:

Why do you still give out your wholly uninformed opinion on LIDAR? Like what's compelling these answers to questions nobody directed at you.

if you dont like my posts put me on ignore, it's better than reading your uninformed complaints about my posts

the poster immediately after me said the same thing i did but you're not whining about him

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 28, 2018

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

boner confessor posted:

the poster immediately after me said the same thing i did but you're not whining about him
I liked the post that came before yours more:
It's punchy, direct, and correct. You've swung wildly on your personal interpretation of LIDAR in this thread to the point where it's utterly clear that you haven't worked directly with the technology and it shows. For folks who stumble in your complete ineptitude might not be apparent. I respect withak's opinion as I've seen that poster around other technology threads and if you think you said "the same" thing, you're dunning-krugering harder than I thought possible.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JawnV6 posted:

It's punchy, direct, and correct. You've swung wildly on your personal interpretation of LIDAR in this thread to the point where it's utterly clear that you haven't worked directly with the technology and it shows. For folks who stumble in your complete ineptitude might not be apparent. I respect withak's opinion as I've seen that poster around other technology threads and if you think you said "the same" thing, you're dunning-krugering harder than I thought possible.

i'm sorry that you have a personal grudge against me but nobody cares, including me. there's nothing wrong with my opinions except you don't like them because you disagree with me. i'm not going to respond to you further than this because it's so boring. please just put me on ignore instead of continuing to be a crybaby

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

i'm sorry that you have a personal grudge against me but nobody cares, including me. there's nothing wrong with my opinions except you don't like them because you disagree with me. i'm not going to respond to you further than this because it's so boring. please just put me on ignore instead of continuing to be a crybaby

I mean, lidar uses time of flight of a laser beam to find depth, not parallax, it's pretty much exactly nothing like "in the same way that only having one eye impedes depth perception." the whole point of lidar is that it's a laser range finder that measures depth of numerous points directly.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

boner confessor posted:

Your "opinions" are objectively incorrect, see: every poster who is not you.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

looks like that arizona governor came out so harshly against uber to cover his own rear end:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/28/uber-arizona-secret-self-driving-program-governor-doug-ducey

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twodot posted:

Your "opinions" are objectively incorrect, see: every poster who is not you.

sorry you don't know what 'impede' and 'sorta' means, i guess

are you going to object to the use of multiple sensors for redundancy as well or is that below your pedant threshold

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boner confessor posted:

sorry you don't know what 'impede' and 'sorta' means, i guess

are you going to object to the use of multiple sensors for redundancy as well or is that below your pedant threshold

Its not at all like what you said. Its like the field of view change if you close one eye I guess but each lidar module is capable of independently making depth measurements.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

Its not at all like what you said. Its like the field of view change if you close one eye I guess but each lidar module is capable of independently making depth measurements.

quote:

like you still have it but you have to rely on other cues

triangulation being one of those cues, something aided by having multiple lidar sensors on the vehicle. is it jump up boner confessor's rear end day today or what

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Make like a LiDAR and time of flight from this thread.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Make like a LiDAR and time of flight from this thread.

...that just means i'm going to return with an accurate reading, to be parsed incorrectly by substandard algorithms

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

boner confessor posted:

triangulation being one of those cues, something aided by having multiple lidar sensors on the vehicle. is it jump up boner confessor's rear end day today or what
No you're just being very wrong and instead of saying "Wow the ways LIDAR and eyes measure depth have nothing to do with each other, and comparing them is, at best, an incredibly misleading analogy I never should have made, my mistake", you're insisting there's some vendetta, which is resulting in more people telling you you're wrong.
edit:
Wait when you say "triangulation" do you mean actual triangulation or just using multiple sets of data to improve margin of error?

twodot fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 28, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
A single lidar sensor will still give distances to all points in view, and be able to create a map with depth and correct distance to objects. This is fact.

boner confessor posted:

sorta, in the same way that only having one eye impedes depth perception. like you still have it but you have to rely on other cues. the bigger problem there is redundancy i would think

Depth perception is not impeded with a single sensor. The only thing you lack is perspective to see behind objects.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

Depth is the literal only thing a laser sensor can measure directly. It wouldn't even be possible to "triangulate" depth from two depth measurements. Like you do with two eyes and parallax of passive light collection.

Like just admit you were wrong and name like literally any property other than depth for a thing that would be useful to have two lidar sensors for. Anything other than depth and you'll be right.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
That's another glaring problem with the analogy we've spent a page watching someone resuscitate in vain, parallax is like.. 7th on how humans do depth perception. I've been generously corrected on this point by someone with one eye. Like you know how large a basketball *ought* to be, you can play the game with an eyepatch because the relative size of the ball is a better/faster heuristic for distance, and the rate of change in that relative size is good enough for timing a catch. But I also don't cobble together broken analogies from information I scraped up from goon replies, so

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boner confessor posted:

The output of a lidar sensor is a point cloud. You can register two point clouds to get a more accurate measurement but that isn't triangulation.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/mammothfactory/status/979083093943488512

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

boner confessor posted:

...that just means i'm going to return with an accurate reading, to be parsed incorrectly by substandard algorithms

I don't have a dog in this fight but I gotta say this reply was pretty good.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

The output of a lidar sensor is a point cloud. You can register two point clouds to get a more accurate measurement but that isn't triangulation.

two point clouds generated at roughly the same time would be, wouldn't it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boner confessor posted:

What triangle are you creating

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

Your eyes capture an image, you get the width of an object and by having two images of it you can calculate the depth by drawing a triangle between your two eyes and solving for the missing side to figure out how long that side would have to be to get that amount of width distance. You are TRIANGULATING the depth.

A lidar shoots a beam out then counts how many seconds before it gets back then dividing by the speed of light. So you know the distance/depth. If you had two and wanted to triangulate something you would be triangulating the width in a useless way since the width between two fixed points is just a function of distance and isn't telling you anything except how far apart your lasers are that you attached to the car and already knew how far apart they were. With a laser you are MEASURING the depth.

Having two would also get you coverage of blindspots or different angles, or error checking or redundancy and you need to just admit you said a wrong thing and name literally any other attribute other than depth for what two lidars get you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

What triangle are you creating

between any two sensors on the car and some point on an object being detected, within the same short period of time. where with only a single sensor you'd have to take two different readings from the same sensor to the same point on an object across a short period of time

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

between any two sensors on the car and some point on an object being detected, within the same short period of time. where with only a single sensor you'd have to take two different readings from the same sensor to the same point on an object across a short period of time

With your eyes you don't know how far objects are and only have an image of them. But with the known distance between your eyes you can use the differance between the object in the two images to draw a triangle and find the depth to the image.

Lidar measures depth and so the mystery edge of the triangle would be the distance between the two lidars. Which is nothing and wouldn't ever need to be calculated like that,

Like seriously, you can name like 50 other things that having two lidars might be useful for. But you are picking the one thing (triangulating depth) that it'd be absolutely perfectly useless for to be the one thing you are stuck on. Just change your answer to literally anything else and you'd be right that having two is better than one. You have fixated on like literally the one incorrect answer.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Your eyes capture an image, you get the width of an object and by having two images of it you can calculate the depth by drawing a triangle between your two eyes and solving for the missing side to figure out how long that side would have to be to get that amount of width distance. You are TRIANGULATING the depth.

A lidar shoots a beam out then counts how many seconds before it gets back then dividing by the speed of light. So you know the distance/depth. If you had two and wanted to triangulate something you would be triangulating the width in a useless way since the width between two fixed points is just a function of distance and isn't telling you anything except how far apart your lasers are that you attached to the car and already knew how far apart they were. With a laser you are MEASURING the depth.

Having two would also get you coverage of blindspots or different angles, or error checking or redundancy and you need to just admit you said a wrong thing and name literally any other attribute other than depth for what two lidars get you.

You claim in the first point that two eyes capture the width in some inherent way that two sensors can't. Your eyes are fixed points so how is there data better than the sensors?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Marenghi posted:

You claim in the first point that two eyes capture the width in some inherent way that two sensors can't. Your eyes are fixed points so how is there data better than the sensors?

Read the post above yours. Here, I’ll quote it.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

With your eyes you don't know how far objects are and only have an image of them. But with the known distance between your eyes you can use the differance between the object in the two images to draw a triangle and find the depth to the image.

Lidar measures depth and so the mystery edge of the triangle would be the distance between the two lidars. Which is nothing and wouldn't ever need to be calculated like that,

Like seriously, you can name like 50 other things that having two lidars might be useful for. But you are picking the one thing (triangulating depth) that it'd be absolutely perfectly useless for to be the one thing you are stuck on. Just change your answer to literally anything else and you'd be right that having two is better than one. You have fixated on like literally the one incorrect answer.
Now keep reading it until you understand it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Marenghi posted:

Your eyes are a camera. Two cameras can calculate parallax.

two lidars can't calculate parallax because the thing they are measuring in the first place is the distance. the missing leg on a triangle between two lidars is the distance between the lidars instead of the distance to the object.

Your eyes catch a beam 'starting" at a distant object, a lidar catches a beam 'starting" at the lidar.

cyclops could find the distance to an object by shooting it with his laser eyes by shooting it out and counting seconds till it hits an object (since the comics show it as moving at a dodgeable speed) having two cyclops shooting it the two cyclops could calculate where the other was shooting from since they know the distance to the object and the speed of the beams. You have passive eyes so you determine depth by using the angular differance in the location of the same object in two images captured from two cameras of known location. instead of calculating distance traveled by some sort of vision beam coming from your eyeball.

like you can calculate like 20 new things using two lidars that you can't with one, "depth" is literally the only wrong answer.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 29, 2018

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What's left to disrupt? I know! Let's take a bite out of BIG NAP!

quote:

Hi everyone! If you thoroughly enjoy naps then this is the place for you! I’m trying to create a business around taking naps and I want you all to be a part of my journey I have a couple of goals that I want to achieve before my business becomes a reality but in the meantime I’m just going to put up helpful, fun, interesting content for all of you and keep everyone updated on how everything goes.

Thanks for stopping by ☺️

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A single Lidar camera is a perfectly fine way to tell exactly how far away something is, and roughly what it is shaped like. We frequently design complicated civil engineering structures using essentially a single Lidar image. That only works when looking from directly above though; if you want a reasonably complete 3D scene to drive a car through then you will need more than one Lidar camera, and you will want them situated as far apart as possible.

A single eyeball can't tell how far away something is (even approximately) without additional input.

edit: I propose that all self-driving cars be accompanied by at least one drone situated overhead, equipped with an optical camera and a Lidar camera.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 29, 2018

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Can posting about self-driving cars be accompanied by being mown down by a self-driving car?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Weatherman posted:

Can posting about self-driving cars be accompanied by being mown down by a self-driving car?

Thankfully I have stairs and am thus protected.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Trabisnikof posted:

Thankfully I have stairs and am thus protected.

That depends if you're upstairs or downstairs.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Weatherman posted:

Maximum Uberdrive.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-29/tesla-recalls-early-model-s-cars-to-retrofit-power-steering-part

Tesla Recalls About 123,000 Early Model S Cars

quote:

Tesla Inc. is recalling all Model S cars built before April 2016 to retrofit a power-steering component as the company caps its worst one-month performance in the stock market since December 2010.

The issue, which the carmaker said has not led to any accidents or injuries, impacts only the flagship Model S sedan, not the Model X sport utility vehicle or more affordable Model 3. The recall affects roughly 123,000 vehicles globally.

The carmaker said it’s performing the voluntary recall after observing “excessive corrosion in the power steering bolts, though only in very cold climates, particularly those that frequently use calcium or magnesium road salts,” according to an email sent to impacted customers Thursday.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/buzzfeednews/status/979478840794693632?s=21

lol Facebook is so bad at this

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mods please change the thread title to "tech terror thread" thanks in advance

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

If you really actually believe that connecting people is the one true solution to the world's problems and outweighs any other concerns (because you're a naive idiot who thinks people will go out and learn to respect each other and e-hug it out instead of sequestering themselves into toxic communities full of like-minded assholes) then you should of course invest in Nokia drive forward your lovely website for connecting people at any cost. I can actually buy that Zuck & friends were in denial about how facebook has problems for a very long time, even without requiring them to be cynical assholes.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 30, 2018

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

:drat:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What am I supposed to get here?