Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Saucer Crab posted:

Fracture was good, I miss Fracture. Hell I miss having the stun on WAR as an extra dps button to slam, muscle memory is still there.

I miss fracture on level synced pld because it was their best dps until you got goring blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Philonius posted:

I've never seen the reason for going solo healer runs. The solo healer won't be DPSing as much so the actual kill time is not drastically improved, but it just adds mechanic headaches like that.
Satisfies the sloth of DPS and the masochism of healer?

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I miss fracture on level synced pld because it was their best dps until you got goring blade.

I miss fracture because levelsynced paladin is boring as hell. Even as high as 50 you basically only have halone combo, spirits within and circle of scorn to press.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Philonius posted:

I've never seen the reason for going solo healer runs. The solo healer won't be DPSing as much so the actual kill time is not drastically improved, but it just adds mechanic headaches like that.

It has nothing to do with kill time and everything to do with time to form a party. The fewer non-DPS needed for the party the faster you can actually get to the content.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's definitely also kill time. A solo healer with 2000 dps and a dps with 5000 dps is better than two healers at 2500dps or whatever people do these days. Ideal party for farming old poo poo is 1/1/6 if mechanics permit it.

If they don't just go 2/2/4 tho, it won't be that big a difference :shrug:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Eureka is really bad and I don't like it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

check out this good opinion over here

anyway what I really miss as a warrior are bloodbath and flash thanks for reading

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I miss the sound bloodbath + overpower made on a big pull.

I never felt as if it were doing anything meaningful, but it was satisfying all the same.

Steel Cyclone isn't quite the same.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fell Cleave has the second most satisfying sound in the game though. (First is Gravity, third is Holy.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
:rip: original broil

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

while we're at it I with BLM had more actually good casting animations. Their oGCDs are good (especially Triplecast) but the actual GCD animation just doesn't do it for me. SCH/SMN's feels way more dynamic.

The effects are generally pretty good tho.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

*Bazelgeuse theme blares in background*

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Trying to clear A11S is like being repeatedly beaten with a bag of rotten oranges.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

forward and backward and forward and backward and forward and

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm going to hear that in my nightmares tonight.

Savages Left to Clear:
- Midas: 8
- Deltascape: 3, 4
- Sigmascape: 7, 8

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

itskage posted:

Wrong quote? :v:

Yes, but not anymore. Thank you.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

vOv posted:

while we're at it I with BLM had more actually good casting animations. Their oGCDs are good (especially Triplecast) but the actual GCD animation just doesn't do it for me. SCH/SMN's feels way more dynamic.

Highlander BLM casting animation is awful. Are Midlander / Xaela / Raen animation any better?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I can say that Raen and Hellsguard BLM animations are pretty baller.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I thought that casting animations didn't have race/gender differences?

e: for reference I'm a Xaela.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Saucer Crab posted:

Fracture was good, I miss Fracture. Hell I miss having the stun on WAR as an extra dps button to slam, muscle memory is still there.

I mean you hit Upheaval about as often as you hit Brutal Swing (25 vs 30 cooldown). It's not like the gauge cost really matters now that you spend 95% of the time with 40+ gauge.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

EponymousMrYar posted:

In SB, the only dynamic for growth was Alisaie getting used to how things are done and Lyse learning that you can't just punch politics. There was no inter-group conflict and on the whole the expac was more concerned with 'hey this is a neat new place completely different from what we're used to, let's learn about it!'

I wonder if the key to Heavensward vs Stormblood at this stage is that we 1) don't have the full story of Stormblood laid out to us yet 2) Stormblood lacks that feeling of 'Things are never going to be the same again.' that Heavesnward had. By the time Heavensward had rolled around, the 'normal' we were accustomed to with the Warrior of Light had been upended completely. The Scions were basically gone and really, they still are. This isn't a story about the Scions coming to bail you out in cutscenes like 1.0 any longer.

I feel like the only way they could really recapture that feeling again would be if they completely upended the status quo on us.

I dunno, revealed that Zodiark is the real planetary spirit and Hydelain is a Primal, or something like that.

(Lahabrea IS fast to call her a parasite that threatens the world's aetheric balance afterall...)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gearhead posted:

(Lahabrea IS fast to call her a parasite that threatens the world's aetheric balance afterall...)
I just replayed that to scam some Poetics to finish my DRK gear. Lahabrea is really eager to bring that up after you've hosed up his superweapon and killed his main stalking horse. He's either talking poo poo to reassure himself, playing for the cheap seats, or is hoping to stall you with doubt.

I don't think they're going to do something like suddenly reveal Hydaelyn is a planetary primal or whatever. If they did do something like that, it seems more like they would expand the definition and there would be some kind of thought-form platonic ideal category which includes primals but includes Hydaelyn and Zodiark. Like some STALKER noosphere poo poo.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Gearhead posted:

I feel like the only way they could really recapture that feeling again would be if they completely upended the status quo on us.
Honestly? You can sum all of what happened at the end of 2.55 as 'an excuse for us to get to know Ishgard because like it or not, it's our new home for the foreseeable future.'
Once the return to Ul'dah happened that was basically over. The awesome road trip that everyone loves and remembers happens after the Ul'dah resolution.

Also, Stormblood definitely did that segue better than HW. 'Wow Zenos kicked our butts pretty hard maybe we should try someplace where he isn't and 'coincidentally' work on like, four things we've had on the backburner since before HW.'

You can't use the same stakes for the same reason again because that is like, the height of boringness.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Heavensward was sad and depressing and everyone did dumb poo poo and died and was entirely too based on Game of Thrones, which sucks rear end and is made by an rear end in a top hat. I liked it overall but I mean the big plot payoff in the end is that they reinvent the worst government ever devised that isnt (outright) fascism whoo yay

Stormblood has some focus issues but Yanxia and the whole plot arc where you help a bunch of hill people (and I have a soft spot for hill people, hill people own) deal with being hosed over and traumatized by imperial forces is bar none the best "middle level" jrpg plot arc ever and I liked that the overall theme was that of liberation and rising up and having hope for the future after having the everloving poo poo kicked out of you. Overall I think it's cool that mostly you as WOL helped a bunch of people secure their own liberation and didn't just spend a bunch of time babysitting Einstinien who is absolutely jonesin to toke up and gently caress everything up AGAIN while blaring Simple Plan and crying about dragons the whole time. The various fantasy cultures and how they interact is way more interesting than "wow ishgard and the elf pope sure are being assholes again while this dragon is too old and wise to give a poo poo about lifting a talon to make everyone's lives not absolutely miserable again god i hate all these ishgard people i dont want to do anything for them." and of course they kill off ysayle because game of throoooooooooones

I have some (major) issues with some of the plot beats in the patch stories so far in Stormblood but they mostly boil down to that I want the plot to go Fullly Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism but of course it never will so whatever.

The real genius of Stormblood anyway is that they have gotten REALLY good at what they do, and there's a lot of small decisions around balancing and how content is designed that shows they actually give a poo poo about the quality of life and the fun things to do in this game, like note how everybody loved to pull the entire dungeon, AOE it, and skip past barriers in unintended ways? Then for a while they just started putting barriers you have to clear mobs with after every goddamned pack and it was tedious? But then in Stormblood they gave everyone good AOE rotations and designed the dungeons so you can do fun big pulls if you want and it's fine and doesn't break the pacing. There's a story told with the mechanics and systems in this game, and it's really good, and they keep making it better. Like this might be the only MMO ever where after it's been around a while there likely won't be a clamoring to return to the "good old days" of X or Y expansion because the game just keeps getting genuinely better, more interesting, and more fun to play with every patch. I have a bit of a soft spot for 2.1 and all what with yelling about tanking dragons in the middle and the first BCoB but I don't really want to go back to the QoL or comparative lack of content in that era, either. Plus it isn't like you never get to see old content anyway, and this game has always been absolutely better for the fact that content is never truly obsolete.

And if you don't dance along to Lakshmi you're a soulless monster :colbert:

edit: also Stormblood features not one but 2 women villains that could absolutely step on me any time no questions asked dont @ me

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Heavensward was sad and depressing and everyone did dumb poo poo and died and was entirely too based on Game of Thrones, which sucks rear end and is made by an rear end in a top hat. I liked it overall but I mean the big plot payoff in the end is that they reinvent the worst government ever devised that isnt (outright) fascism whoo yay

Stormblood has some focus issues but Yanxia and the whole plot arc where you help a bunch of hill people (and I have a soft spot for hill people, hill people own) deal with being hosed over and traumatized by imperial forces is bar none the best "middle level" jrpg plot arc ever and I liked that the overall theme was that of liberation and rising up and having hope for the future after having the everloving poo poo kicked out of you. Overall I think it's cool that mostly you as WOL helped a bunch of people secure their own liberation and didn't just spend a bunch of time babysitting Einstinien who is absolutely jonesin to toke up and gently caress everything up AGAIN while blaring Simple Plan and crying about dragons the whole time. The various fantasy cultures and how they interact is way more interesting than "wow ishgard and the elf pope sure are being assholes again while this dragon is too old and wise to give a poo poo about lifting a talon to make everyone's lives not absolutely miserable again god i hate all these ishgard people i dont want to do anything for them." and of course they kill off ysayle because game of throoooooooooones

I have some (major) issues with some of the plot beats in the patch stories so far in Stormblood but they mostly boil down to that I want the plot to go Fullly Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism but of course it never will so whatever.

The real genius of Stormblood anyway is that they have gotten REALLY good at what they do, and there's a lot of small decisions around balancing and how content is designed that shows they actually give a poo poo about the quality of life and the fun things to do in this game, like note how everybody loved to pull the entire dungeon, AOE it, and skip past barriers in unintended ways? Then for a while they just started putting barriers you have to clear mobs with after every goddamned pack and it was tedious? But then in Stormblood they gave everyone good AOE rotations and designed the dungeons so you can do fun big pulls if you want and it's fine and doesn't break the pacing. There's a story told with the mechanics and systems in this game, and it's really good, and they keep making it better. Like this might be the only MMO ever where after it's been around a while there likely won't be a clamoring to return to the "good old days" of X or Y expansion because the game just keeps getting genuinely better, more interesting, and more fun to play with every patch. I have a bit of a soft spot for 2.1 and all what with yelling about tanking dragons in the middle and the first BCoB but I don't really want to go back to the QoL or comparative lack of content in that era, either. Plus it isn't like you never get to see old content anyway, and this game has always been absolutely better for the fact that content is never truly obsolete.

And if you don't dance along to Lakshmi you're a soulless monster :colbert:

edit: also Stormblood features not one but 2 women villains that could absolutely step on me any time no questions asked dont @ me

Until your edit, I wanted to agree with this entire post :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm kind of confused about the Ishgard thing because they seem a lot closer to a democracy than any of the other three city-states. Other than that I can certainly agree that Stormblood gives us a much clearer idea of what people actually went through and live through than Heavensward.

Also have you considered fully automated luxury Sharlayan communism?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Yeah, isn't Limsa basically a dictatorship where Merlwyb will cap you for going against her?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Artless Meat posted:

Yeah, isn't Limsa basically a dictatorship where Merlwyb will cap you for going against her?
Limsa is traditionally ruled by an admiral who in theory is determined by some kind of traditional Admiralling-Off which I know Merlwyb won and which may be in abeyance given everything. Merlwyb is absolutely a dictator although perhaps "autocrat" is more accurate.

Ul'dah is in principle a monarchy but is in practice an oligarchy. I'm not sure what you'd classify Gridania as. Ala Mhigo seems to be a morass at the moment but was previously a monarchy which fell in large part due to a really bad monarch. The Sharlayan outpost in Dravania was obviously 100% a creature of Sharlayan considering they all packed up and left.

I mean, this is a fantasy story in a video game - in the fantasy genre, yet - so you can see things like Hien accepting the flaws in pre-Yotsuyu Doma and resolving to act more justly as sort of a dramatic summary of what would be a greater political movement. But post-HW Ishgard seems like it has more political freedom than anywhere else we've been to, save the pirate confederacy.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I too don't get the Ishgard thing but that's probably because in my 4x experience I've always had way more success with a Republic system than a Democratic one.

Artless Meat posted:

Technically it's a Meritocracy where merit is established in a contest held every so often among peers (Pirate Captains.)
Pirates being Pirates, of course some of them are going to be sore losers and, Pirates being Pirates, anyone who goes against the Admiral (which can be read as 'Captain of Limsa Lominsa') is a mutineer and mutineers will be dealt with promptly.

Nessus posted:

I'm not sure what you'd classify Gridania as.

You can classify it as a Theocracy like pre-HW Ishgard only in Gridania's case, the objects of appeasement/worship have had an active role in governance.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Plutocracy, except they're rich in spirit.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

vOv posted:

The effects are generally pretty good tho.

I agree. I look like my staff turned into a snake and I'm trying to keep it from biting me (F4/Flare).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Lakshmi has some of the worst primal music and I don't understand why people like it so much.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Lakshmi has some of the worst primal music and I don't understand why people like it so much.

Because people have good taste and you don't.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Verranicus posted:

We've found it folks, the Worst Opinion

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Verranicus posted:

Really? I think that song is an absolute blast.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Lakshmi's better than Ravana.

Waltzes are stupid and slow and boring and the music syncing is getting more and more outdated as they keep doing it and doing it better.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vargatron posted:

Eureka is really bad and I don't like it.

Allow me to elaborate a bit now that I've stopped being Mad About Video Games.

I think the presentation of Eureka is what upset me more than the actual content. It would have been better if the game had explained the zone a bit better other than just dropping you off at the dock and telling you "go". I'm probably a very dumb gamer but I looked at the elemental wheel and had to ask what the hell it was for. The game probably explained it to me but it got buried in the whole "wtf" aspect of me walking out and taking at least 45-60 seconds killing an on level mob solo. That's even with popping Inner Release and spamming Fell Cleave.

So if the zone was presented as "group up with friends to collect seals from monsters for equipment upgrades", then it would have been easier for me to enjoy it initially. Trying to solo the area is awful. I've been told that drop rates go up once you hit around level 7 or so, which is fine, but exp gains are so minimal that you really have to just work to get on a NM train ASAP (but you're on foot for a while, so lol).

Basically, I'll do the zone after I've done all the other DRs and then just watch Youtube while I mash overpower ad nauseum.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The whole point of Eureka was to not hand-hold the player through it, to make them discover how it works on their own, so you thoroughly missed it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The whole point of Eureka is to collect the saddest of brains in one place for study, without having to spend $10 on some kind of account to watch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The only good part in the Ravana themes is when the intro to the second comes in like Duel of the Fates right when he's swinging his glowing red antsaber around