Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Xguard86 posted:

OTOH 1993 was 25 years ago and I weep silently because people talk about their non-sense kung fu and street combat "too real for the cage" bullshit all. the. time.

I don't really encounter it ever, the guys who do the wooey stuff at my gym all pipe down and slunk off when the mma/boxing people turn up. I don't think it's a big thing in the UK anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Xguard86 posted:

OTOH 1993 was 25 years ago and I weep silently because people talk about their non-sense kung fu and street combat "too real for the cage" bullshit all. the. time.

A friend was claiming to do Chinese wrestling for awhile that I thought was Shuai jiao, but when I asked if he'd like to show me some standup he told me it wasn't possible because the moves are set up to :airquote: break your bones during takedowns :airquote:.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Chinese MA are the originators of too deadly, so no surprise.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

You'd have assumed with the advent of the internet and all of the information, including picture and video, that "SELF DEFENSE TOO DANGEROUS FOR STRETS" would disappear, but nope.

Traditional martial arts like Karate, Wing Chun to extent, etc would still be around for cultural purposes, but not TOO LETHAL SELF DEFENSE BS

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I bet the TOO DANGEROUS things were originally just something like "and when you throw the guy you can also spike them on their head – but please don't actually do that" and then the story grew in the telling.

Edit: "Original Kano-ryu Jujitsu! Limb-shattering techniques once considered too dangerous to teach!!"

And then it's just judo kata and kawazu-gake drills all day long.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 28, 2018

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Didn't some dude in the ufc 1 compete under a gym that had bone breaking in the arts title.

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Didn't some dude in the ufc 1 compete under a gym that had bone breaking in the arts title.

Are you thinking of the Academy of Small Joint Manipulation?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
No it was something like "Samoan bone breaking combat"

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
"A method of fighting your pansy rear end generation desperately needs" Is the only style of TOO LETHAL karate I want learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwwxNbtK6Y

This looks amazing, if this does not belong in the Martial Arts thread I don't want to read it anymore.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spandexcajun posted:

"A method of fighting your pansy rear end generation desperately needs" Is the only style of TOO LETHAL karate I want learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwwxNbtK6Y

This looks amazing, if this does not belong in the Martial Arts thread I don't want to read it anymore.

"Girls a natural cobra"

Not quite, she did a double leg takedown, she's a little out of your realm.

Honestly I cant wait to see this.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

No it was something like "Samoan bone breaking combat"

Without looking it up, I believe that was John Tua, at UFC 5 or so, who practiced the Hawaiian art of bone breaking. I believe that he got totally fucksmashed by Big Daddy Gary Goodridge.

Now I'm going to look it up and see if I'm right.

e. John Matua, UFC 6, clobbered by Tank Abbot. That's even funnier.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 28, 2018

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

CommonShore posted:

Without looking it up, I believe that was John Tua, at UFC 5 or so, who practiced the Hawaiian art of bone breaking. I believe that he got totally fucksmashed by Big Daddy Gary Goodridge.

Yeah, Tank Abbot. Thats my style. Brick Shithouse.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

CommonShore posted:

That was it, and yea he got completely wrecked. I remember hearing about people thinking he was going to kill everyone because the name of his martial art meant he was just going to break everyone's limbs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/HHtAUXK.mp4

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

You'd have assumed with the advent of the internet and all of the information, including picture and video, that "SELF DEFENSE TOO DANGEROUS FOR STRETS" would disappear, but nope.

a couple of days ago a really stoned guy who used to be my neighbour started harassing me in facebook messenger about martial arts apropos of nothing

here are some highlights

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

On another note, am I out of line for wanted to see judo throws in hockey fights?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

JaySB posted:

On another note, am I out of line for wanted to see judo throws in hockey fights?

Not really but I would be worried about the blades on peoples faces/necks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Siivola posted:

I bet the TOO DANGEROUS things were originally just something like "and when you throw the guy you can also spike them on their head – but please don't actually do that" and then the story grew in the telling.

Edit: "Original Kano-ryu Jujitsu! Limb-shattering techniques once considered too dangerous to teach!!"

And then it's just judo kata and kawazu-gake drills all day long.

I attended a seminar with an old school judoka where in response to a question, he actually covered the mechanics of throwing someone nicely vs very serious self defense where you're intentionally looking to limit their rotation and head spike someone.

I think he liked the question because, unprompted, he also talked about this other technique that was pretty much converting a russian 2-on-1 arm drag into this dropping/sacrifice throw thing targeted at breaking the elbow and wrist while throwing.

This was a former olympic calibre guy who was a thousand years old and could still toss people. So, I think the step all the "too dangerous" crowd is missing is the part where you're any good at anything and then turn up the nasty.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yep. It's only a small adjustment to turn something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGEzlIpPvOA

Into something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKCSc-jnG1c

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
That arm drag KO really confuses me because the dude is under neath the guy who lands and gets knocked out, wish there was another angle.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

That arm drag KO really confuses me because the dude is under neath the guy who lands and gets knocked out, wish there was another angle.

Well look at that judo technique I posted above it. The arm drag KO is basically the same thing. The angles are just a little different. He didn't give his opponent enough room to tuck his chin and roll, so he eats their combined body weights on his face, and then the guy kinda pops out the side.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Well look at that judo technique I posted above it. The arm drag KO is basically the same thing. The angles are just a little different. He didn't give his opponent enough room to tuck his chin and roll, so he eats their combined body weights on his face, and then the guy kinda pops out the side.

those are two different throwing techniques. The KO throw attempt was a shoulder throw/seoi nage where he over rotated, but the guy's weight was so far forward that the pull and drop still took him down. The other technique is a makkikomi. Main difference is the arms and hip placement, shoulder throw, arm goes under the opponents arm and lifts them up with the shoulder/back. Makkikomi relies on the hips/legs as a fulcrum point.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Rest assured that any time a throw occurs anywhere two judo nerds will argue about its Japanese name.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hi liter posted:

those are two different throwing techniques. The KO throw attempt was a shoulder throw/seoi nage where he over rotated, but the guy's weight was so far forward that the pull and drop still took him down. The other technique is a makkikomi. Main difference is the arms and hip placement, shoulder throw, arm goes under the opponents arm and lifts them up with the shoulder/back. Makkikomi relies on the hips/legs as a fulcrum point.

Uchi makikomi is done by overrotating ippon seoi nage.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I see old.flv's on-the-nose diss could not prevent you from getting the upper hand via verbal kuzushi.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
https://www.facebook.com/ShaunPants/posts/10155695032672730 - faced with this in reality, wtf do you do?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Phone the constable, mate

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Novum posted:

Phone the constable, mate

Does gently caress all mate, 5 minutes response time, even a 2 minute one, and they are long gone.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Time to get real good with a lasso.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Ok first you ankle pick the nearest guy then you get pummeled to death with hammers.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

gently caress yeah. Scooter jousting. Thats the right answer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The filmer did everything right? What were some alternatives you were thinking of?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

The filmer did everything right? What were some alternatives you were thinking of?

Getting smashed in the face a lot with a hammer, I suspect.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I would say that's a good moment to consider the cost of replacing stuff (or just paying your insurance deductible) versus how much facial reconstructive surgery will hurt if you go down there and get your poo poo stomped by four dudes with hammers.

Of course in the US, they'd probably get shot at, but then in the US they wouldn't be that brazen on account of the chances of getting shot at.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Of course depending on the state, they might be opening fire first.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

CommonShore posted:

its not. you can see in the two videos posted how the person being thrown is being loaded and launched from different points on the attackers body. the person cant go over the top in the KO video when the attacker wraps the arm over as they did for makkikomi of any variety. uchi-makkimoki is done from losing the grip on a uchimata or harai attempt, not a seoi.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

So the filmer is out 2 windows, and can do gently caress all about it, and has said they have been back repeatedly. What kind of way is that to live your life? And yet if he tries to defend himself with anything legal in the UK he is probably going to be killed.

I don't know any alternatives, its why I bring it up. It is just a terrible lose/lose situation for the poor bloke.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What does this have to do with martial arts again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Willie is wondering if his Wing Chun prowess should enable him to take on multiple attackers with hammers.