Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

The Phlegmatist posted:

cuttings costs by firing pharm techs and just making patients go fill their own scripts in the back somewhere
The only thing standing between Wal-Mart and pharm techs dispensing medications instead of pharmacists is a couple pesky laws.

I've been waiting for the pharmacy school implosion for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When all these pharmacists lose their jobs, will they be qualified to be GPs or are they completely hosed?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The lion's share of Humana business is Medicare Advantage plans. Maybe they would focus on using the fact that they are Wal Mart to get lower drug prices and beat the benchmarks?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
It's that and also cost savings for Humana by pushing primary patient point of care up to the retail clinic level and keeping covered members the hell away from expensive EDs.

That's one of the reasons that, despite the sudden desire for everyone to vertically integrate, nobody's trying to acquire the major hospital chains. Things are looking pretty grim for us. A lot of this is because of the massive credit-fueled buying spree in the when hospitals rabidly built new facilities and acquired physicians groups. Many chains are deeply in debt and payers are trying to keep people away from hospitals if at all possible.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

KillHour posted:

When all these pharmacists lose their jobs, will they be qualified to be GPs or are they completely hosed?
Not remotely. Their only hope for survival is to secure prescribing rights before the pharmpocalypse hits. Farhad Manjoo wrote about pharmacists for Slate a couple years ago:

quote:

But people familiar with the pace of technological change in pharmacies don't buy the government's projections. The few who are optimistic about the prospects for human pharmacists are hanging their hopes on legal strictures. "Most pharmacists are employed only because the law says that there has to be a pharmacist present to dispense drugs," one pharmacist told me. In other words it's not the pharmacists' skills that will keep them employed—it's the fact that the humans have good unions, and good lobbyists. Once the law catches up to the reality of robot superiority, the humans will be out on the street.

The fundamental problem, for pharmacists, is that their jobs are marked by insufferable repetition. This should serve as a lesson for every professional in America. If you're wondering whether your career is under threat from robots, think about what you do every day. Machines excel at doing small routines over and over and over again. Anyplace where you find humans engaged in repetitive tasks—even if those tasks aren't all physical, and sometimes require deep intellectual problem-solving skills—there's a fair chance they'll be replaced by computers.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
It sucks because pharmacy was considered a stable career that got you into a nice six figure job. You see a lot of immigrants going into it because you can bust your rear end studying for PCATs and going to pharmacy school and not really have to deal with institutional racism like you get in other areas of the healthcare industry.

And then, well, retail pharmacy will be gone soon and there's not enough jobs in other sectors to absorb the amount of newly-unemployed pharmacists.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

KillHour posted:

So much this.

Law schools are the archetype of professional school implosion everyone points to...and while I agree there's a glut of lawyers I think that's not going to proximately cause a collapse of legal services demand. In reality there's likely a huge amount of legal services that are completely undeserved in America due to high costs, and I imagine the coming years will see some sort of tech-bro disruption in that space. I don't just mean LegalZoom helping random people form an LLC or C/S Corp, but rather some sort of system that lets legal services that used to be beyond the affordability of the lower-middle and poor classes more accessible.

Of course that will be concomitant with the collapse of wages for lawyers who will slowly, but surely, become little more than Uber drivers who happened to spend $150,000 or more for the privilege. That's why we're already seeing law schools close.

---

But pharmacy school is a whole different can of worm poo poo waiting to explode.

It seems everyone here already sees the writing on the wall for retail pharmacy, but frankly hospital pharmacists aren't safe either. Blah blah automation. If you don't know anything about this then just set your Google-Fu into motion with the search term "SwissLog".

Full hospital pharmacy automation is basically just a matter of time. Not just pills in plastic packs for each dose to a patient that's delivered by a SwissLog bot cart and dispensed automatically, but far far more hospital automation that goes beyond what I'm talking about here.

Honestly I don't see how *ANYONE* can hope to survive in the world of "I fill prescriptions" two decades from now. Period. I don't see how. It's already likely to be pretty hard within a decade.

There's still going to be a space for research pharmacy, sure, and there will continue to be up until General AI manages to do creative work autonomously, but the research pharmacy space is nowhere big enough to handle the massive glut of unemployment coming down the pipe short of some sort of massive nationalized work program....and I seriously doubt that's going to happen even with a complete Democratic Congress & White House with a Bernie Sander-esque President.

The Phlegmatist posted:

It sucks because pharmacy was considered a stable career that got you into a nice six figure job. You see a lot of immigrants going into it because you can bust your rear end studying for PCATs and going to pharmacy school and not really have to deal with institutional racism like you get in other areas of the healthcare industry.

And then, well, retail pharmacy will be gone soon and there's not enough jobs in other sectors to absorb the amount of newly-unemployed pharmacists.

I know a girl that used to be a pharmacy tech who is now going to pharmacy school. Standard Indian heritage story.

She completely blows me off when I bring up how all of this is happening. I don't think she'll recognize it till it's hitting her in face.

Crashrat fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 31, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks to automated pharmacies I guess we'll see a lot more deaths due to bad web interfaces.

https://www.wired.com/2015/03/how-technology-led-a-hospital-to-give-a-patient-38-times-his-dosage/

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Crashrat posted:

There's still going to be a space for research pharmacy, sure, and there will continue to be up until General AI manages to do creative work autonomously, but the research pharmacy space is nowhere big enough to handle the massive glut of unemployment coming down the pipe short of some sort of massive nationalized work program....and I seriously doubt that's going to happen even with a complete Democratic Congress & White House with a Bernie Sander-esque President.

Funding for retraining and transitioning to a new career needs to be part of any push for national health care. I don't know why this is always seemingly ignored.

There are just way too many people employed in health care right now period thanks to all the ridiculous red tape and middlemen that infest the entire system. UHC would put me out of a job and that's fine since I can easily find employment elsewhere. The low-level admin staff aren't so lucky -- they'll most likely be going back to retail. And most of them came into the healthcare industry on the promise that it was a stable career choice. Everyone always needs healthcare, right?

At some point we'll need a broader societal response to automation (like a UBI or something) but I'm not really sure if we're at that level yet.

e: in other news, the GOP might accidentally kick off a wave of hospital closures since they don't...seem to know what they're doing. at all. so this would be a good time to start pushing for nationalized health care.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 31, 2018

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

The Phlegmatist posted:

e: in other news, the GOP might accidentally kick off a wave of hospital closures since they don't...seem to know what they're doing. at all. so this would be a good time to start pushing for nationalized health care.

It's occasionally a state problem as well:
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/980161773633490945

https://twitter.com/OverlordMarie/status/979454202215837696
https://twitter.com/SamParmesan/status/980073501821493248

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

You’re in favor of registering handguns, aren’t you? Well, some of these kids possess far more power than any handgun.

No, I don’t see a difference, all I see is weapons in our classrooms.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Arglebargle III posted:

Thanks to automated pharmacies I guess we'll see a lot more deaths due to bad web interfaces.

https://www.wired.com/2015/03/how-technology-led-a-hospital-to-give-a-patient-38-times-his-dosage/

It's more like deaths caused by automated processes will be more dramatized by the news, as the overall rate of failure/death goes down. Kinda like commercial airline failures.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wait what the gently caress

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't know what specifically is going to be on the 2020 left platform, but by 2024 I'm betting you a nickel that reeducation camps "retraining post-secondary education including mandatory humanities courses" are going to be put on the table, and they won't be laughed away outright.

I don't think the Z generation is going to tolerate the Nazi uprising. At all.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

You know, a misunderstanding. A whoopsie. An innocent drafting error.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Minnesota has a whole bunch of these style of registries either run through the UofMN or the Minnesota Department of Health. Usually the UofMN starts up the registry and eventually hands it over to the State to run and maintain. If it makes you feel better there is a Minnesota Immunization Information Connection registry that tracks the immunization status of every person in the state. The Minnesota Cancer Surveillance System collects information on all diagnosed cancers among Minnesota residents. There is the traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury registry that was grown to include all injuries from trauma in the trauma registry

https://cnbd.umn.edu/research/suma-jacob-lab/find-network

There is the UofMN's autism registry.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/OverlordMarie/status/980121181339705344

They're not putting spergs in camps.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

I have to wonder if Dr Suma Jacob is preparing to hand off the registry to the state and someone wanted to make sure the state had the authority to run the registry and now doesn't want to fess up to it because some dipshits on twitter don't care how Minnesota works.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
It was pushed by an anti-vax chiropractor, lol

If you want to put all those fuckers on a list and shoot them then I won't exactly support it, but it's probably best for the common good.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
They have already begun tracking us. Google Electronic Visit Verification. If you receive personal care assistant services you are going to have to carry a geolocation device with a mic and camera. They claim it's to combat fraud but it's extended beyond agency directed care into self directed care. We already get quarterly in home evaluations and two medicaid visits from our HMO. Most of the fraud is from agency care and they don't provide much as information on self directed care, nor how recovered spending stacks up to the cost of implementing and maintaining an EVV system.

They already rolled it out in Ohio and it's a nightmare. Your device goes off and gives you warnings if you are x amount of feet from your home, requiring you to call in. If you want to have lunch with a friend or go out to the store you effectively have to call for permission.

The main company lobbying for this is Sandata and they are getting most of the state contracts. It's really just a company paying politicians to make it an issue so they can swoop in and lock down a state for their device and support services.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

quote:

ORLANDO, Florida — At a medical conference, a Pennsylvania oncologist vociferously confronted a physician administrator from the Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services (CMS) and said the agency is threatening his profession's livelihood and needs to change.

The incident was a rare public showing of anger, frustration, and even yelling among medical professionals. It took place here at the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) 23rd Annual Conference.

Rodney Jamil, MD, of University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) Pinnacle, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, was in the audience at the meeting and addressed Ron Kline, MD, of CMS's patient care models group. Kline was participating in a meeting roundtable discussion on value-based cancer care.

Speaking from the meeting floor, Jamil talked for roughly a minute and concluded by venting about the high cost of cancer drugs.

"It's the American taxpayer who subsidizes your institution and pays your salary, and you turn around and you want to rip [off] the taxpayer who subsidizes your organization, so why can't you get your act together and be a capitalist and negotiate drug prices with the pharmaceutical companies!" he fumed.

Immediately, cheers, whistles, and applause erupted from the audience, which included many oncology professionals.

Over the din, Kline responded: "I'm not the Congress, I'm not the Senate."

This was a reference to the fact that CMS is prohibited by Congressional mandate from negotiating with pharmaceutical companies. In effect, the drug companies name their price, and the government (and other payers who follow its lead) meet it. That arrangement is an oddity among industrialized nations — in other nations, governments negotiate drug prices with companies.

Yelling loudly, roundtable moderator Cliff Goodman of the Lewin Group, a healthcare consulting group, defended Kline: "He's not the Speaker of the House, he can't help you."

Notably, the audience had been told about 30 minutes earlier by another presenter, Lee Newcomer, MD, who is a former healthcare insurance executive, that CMS is not allowed to negotiate cancer drug prices. In an extended explanation, Newcomer detailed the legislative history of why CMS does not do so, making it clear that he believes that the CMS is blameless.

When things quieted down, roundtable participant Bhuvana Sagar, MD, national medical director, Cigna Healthcare, briefly addressed Jamil: "You have the right to vote." The suggestion was that only elected representatives have the power to change the way CMS pays for drugs.

Before the roundtable conversation, which is a staple of the NCCN annual meeting, tension in the audience was building.

At a number of points, applause exceeded the polite clapping that is usual at medical meetings.

hell yeah

CMS and HHS are currently warring over 340B repeal which is totally something that happens in a sane healthcare system

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
in further democrats in the pay of the healthcare industry running terrified of Medicare For All, introducing the new, exciting wunderproduct, Medicare For Anyone!

https://twitter.com/CAP_Health/status/981625201938051073

Medicare For Anyone: Because Making Your Employer Not Have The Power To Decide If You Live Or Die Focus Tested Poorly With Our Donors

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ze Pollack posted:

Medicare For Anyone: Because Making Your Employer Not Have The Power To Decide If You Live Or Die Focus Tested Poorly With Our Donors

Even if the new system is 100% better and cheaper people will want to be able to keep their old thing and will feel weird if they can't. Besides even if everyone was on medicare there'd still be a place for private insurance.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Even if the new system is 100% better and cheaper people will want to be able to keep their old thing and will feel weird if they can't. Besides even if everyone was on medicare there'd still be a place for private insurance.

and after this complex battery of tests, you will be able to determine whether or not you are allowed to switch off of your employer's insurance! after all, where's the -fun- in not having to beg your insurance provider to do their loving job

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

New from the Center for American Progress, it's Medicare For Anyone (or Medicare Extra)!

Because our health insurance industry donors have a cocked pistol held to our heads and if we utter the phrase "Medicare for All" they're gonna blow our brains out!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just call it Tandencare.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Peven Stan posted:

Just call it Tandencare.

"they have a lot of sick people with assets, we have a lot of donors from the health insurance industry"

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Ze Pollack posted:

in further democrats in the pay of the healthcare industry running terrified of Medicare For All, introducing the new, exciting wunderproduct, Medicare For Anyone!

https://twitter.com/CAP_Health/status/981625201938051073

I wonder what cherry picked polling they get "most people are satisfied with their employer's insurance" from

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Defenestration posted:

I wonder what cherry picked polling they get "most people are satisfied with their employer's insurance" from

They probably controlled for "employer provides insurance" when looking at the answers. Or controlled for salaried workers. Or both.

I'm happy with my insurance, but I would absofuckinglutely prefer government provided healthcare.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My employer paid plan demands precerts for all kinds of random procedures and the generic copay keeps on going up uP UP

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Dirk the Average posted:

They probably controlled for "employer provides insurance" when looking at the answers. Or controlled for salaried workers. Or both.

I'm happy with my insurance, but I would absofuckinglutely prefer government provided healthcare.

This is me, though the degree to which I'm happy with my insurance is only compared to other insurance plans.

Burn the health insurance companies and gimme that sweet, sweet government healthcare.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Defenestration posted:

I suspect that most people who haven't yet used their insurance for anything major are satisfied with it, and that probably gets you a good way towards "most" Americans.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Defenestration posted:

It's either a yearslong conspiracy across multiple polling firms, or else not cherrypicked? Most recently:
Gallup has 54% of Americans with favorable views of US Healthcare (compared to 77% ranking their own coverage 'Excellent' or 'Good')

Other high level numbers: 54% of employed Americans are satisfied with the total cost of their healthcare, which lags behind the 61% of all Americans. This matches past polling data suggesting that while the majority of those who receive coverage through their employer are satisfied with it, those numbers trail those receiving coverage through the government. Interestingly, despite majority satisfaction in their own care and favorable views of both US and especially their own coverage... 73% agree that the healthcare system "Has Major Problems"/"Is in a State of Crisis". This would go a long way to explaining the pushback experienced by healthcare reform efforts left and right. It's healthcare NIMBYism/FYGM with a heavy loss aversion component, even though the coverage and care they're protecting is substandard in most international comparisons.

While I'm here, there have been a couple interesting elements from Kaiser surveys in the last few months.

SP is popular but lags behind, across all parties, a multipayer UHC. From that poll, at least: UHC as as popular with Americans as SP is with Democrats. The right column on the second graph pops out to me as well. It's from an earlier and differently worded poll, but 52% of Dems expect to keep their current care under a national health plan. That's trueish for those currently receiving government healthcare, but that doesn't make up half of the party.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Employer-provided group health insurance is the best insurance in the country, why wouldn't many people be satisfied with it?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's interesting that poll questions about single-payer always frame the question along the lines of "Would you favor a government-run system even if it meant you paid higher taxes?" instead of, e.g., "Would you be willing to pay a fixed 5 percent more in federal income taxes toward healthcare instead of fluctuating insurance premiums and out-of-pocket costs?" Same with poll questions that ask about sentiment toward "government-run healthcare" but not about our marvelous current system of private-insurance gatekeepers/skimmers.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Employer-provided group health insurance is the best insurance in the country, why wouldn't many people be satisfied with it?

Because of ever-increasing out-of-pocket costs combined with overly restrictive narrow networks--the same issues as the individual private-insurance market, only slightly less burdensome because of larger risk pools. Not to mention the "family glitch" within the ACA that determines employee affordability without factoring other family members.

Satisfaction surveys usually show Medicare/VA/Medicaid at the top, followed by employer-provided insurance, then by individual insurance.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

PerniciousKnid posted:

At my last job, costs kept increasing while coverage kept decreasing. By itself, it kept wiping out our COL adjustments.

I expect this is common.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
hello i am leaving the socialist worker's paradise of the NHS to the hellscape that is employer provided health insurance

I have 3 options:

Base PPO: $37/mo 2500 deductible, 90% co-insurance after deductible, 6000 OPM, drug coverage with co-insurance up to 2500 OPM
Better PPO:$100/mo 300 deductible, 85% co-insurance, 2500 OPM, same drug coverage
HDHP w/ HSA: $50/mo, $1500 deductible, 90% coinsurance after, $3000 OPM, same drug coverage after deductible also $500 HSA contribution from employer

4 prescriptions (1 generic); could be cut down to 3 since some are OTC in the US but not the UK.

In contrast, the NHS: $0/mo (marginally higher taxes i guess), 100% co-insurance, $0 OPM, drug coverage is ~$14 copay with a $200 max if you get the pre-pay card.

which plan is the best

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Willa Rogers posted:

It's interesting that poll questions about single-payer always frame the question along the lines of "Would you favor a government-run system even if it meant you paid higher taxes?" instead of, e.g., "Would you be willing to pay a fixed 5 percent more in federal income taxes toward healthcare instead of fluctuating insurance premiums and out-of-pocket costs?" Same with poll questions that ask about sentiment toward "government-run healthcare" but not about our marvelous current system of private-insurance gatekeepers/skimmers.

Because of ever-increasing out-of-pocket costs combined with overly restrictive narrow networks--the same issues as the individual private-insurance market, only slightly less burdensome because of larger risk pools. Not to mention the "family glitch" within the ACA that determines employee affordability without factoring other family members.

Satisfaction surveys usually show Medicare/VA/Medicaid at the top, followed by employer-provided insurance, then by individual insurance.

boy it sure is weird how purchasing power correlates with satisfaction with insurance. i wonder what would happen if everyone pooled their power to dictate prices and quality

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Accretionist posted:

At my last job, costs kept increasing while coverage kept decreasing. By itself, it kept wiping out our COL adjustments.

I expect this is common.

Do people usually attribute this to their specific plan, or to a rise in health costs in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Do people usually attribute this to their specific plan, or to a rise in health costs in general?

Usually it's the rise in health costs in general. But year after year, more people are having problems actually being able to use their insurance, mainly because of the increases in out-of-pocket costs (even among employer-provided insurance) that have been far greater than increases in salary year after year.

The ACA pegs the cost of insurance premiums to one's annual income, but allows annual out-of-pocket costs to be as much as one-third to one-half of one's net income, whether insured individually or as part of a group plan. Hence one-third of those with serious and ongoing health issues skipping or deferring at least some medical care, according to one survey I saw last year. The lack of pricing controls on prescription drugs is particularly onerous for those with serious health conditions.

And that's not even dealing with the issue of "balance billing," in which out-of-network providers working for an in-network hospital results in full-cost, non-covered care for people. Here are some (depressing) facts about balance billing.