Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
So even after launch, Steam Charts say less than 500 players on Steam.

The lunatics claim that "many" more play the game on the standalone client.

I really loving doubt that, another kickstarter has basically failed miserably, but at least this time around, we can laugh as the backers rummage through the garbage that was released.

Come, let us laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

welp, I don't think the kickstarter failed at all, they did manage to amass a fair amount of money, enough perhaps to send lum the mad to jupiter

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Not only did the Kickstarter raise enough money to keep Lord British solvent, it also raised enough money for him to release a game and therefore accomplish the minimal amount of work necessary to avoid getting sued!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm excited for the monorail launch day forget this dumb game monorail monorail monorail!!!!!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This game looks a bit poo poo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I didn't realize how much the buildings looks like something from a late 90's cgi cutscene.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It's launched but they are only just beginning to advertise. Soon there will be more than 499 people to playing at one time!!!!

After several incredibly successful years of Early Access, we have launched into full Live mode! Now we will move fully into acquiring new users with a dedicated marketing campaign and a steady slate of press and public appearances.

Once they actually advertise, these new people will rejuvenate the game and everyone will make money on their sad investments have a great time! Woo hoo! LB Forever!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Hmm we have this incredibly mediocre game that we are going to release. Should we advertise like crazy before the launch so that people buy it without seeing how garbage it is from everyone, or do it after it launches and try to convince them it isn't that bad?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Oh wow I had assumed once it launched that it would be F2P, but I just looked on steam and they want actual legal tender for it.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
it launched before star citizen though. +1 to lord brit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blazing Zero posted:

Do have to give credit where credit is due. That is true.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Blazing Zero posted:

Checkmate citidiots :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This made me check in on the status of Star Citizen as of today. Development begun in 2011, official launch of live 1.0 was to be in 2014, game is in alpha 3.2 currently.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

This made me check in on the status of Star Citizen as of today. Development begun in 2011, official launch of live 1.0 was to be in 2014, game is in alpha 3.2 currently.
well more like pre-alpha* 3.1

*well more like a tech demo

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
but they have procedural egg making, from sunnyside to over easy*. top that big name publishers

*not a joke, they do

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Blazing Zero posted:

To be fair this is true for any game in development, and will be true for any games to come.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

Challenger launched as well

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

wow too soon

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Challenger launched as well

:drat:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I saw on the official website that there is a trial version available now. I hate myself and am going to give it a try.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

but they have procedural egg making, from sunnyside to over easy*. top that big name publishers

*not a joke, they do

At this point it's hard not to think of SC as the most expensive performance art in the history of mankind.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Status update on playing the trial: I killed an NPC called outskirts fence.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

So how empty is the game?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Steam player numbers are pretty accurate. I would be super weary of spending any money because I don't see Shroud of the Avatar's online server lasting more then a year.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

First it has to go free 2 play.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I really want to play this right now to experience the trainwreck in whatever this game's version of a hayday is, but yeah holy poo poo I can't possibly justify paying double digit moneys for this. If someone's streamed this or something or planning to I'd be interested in that.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Anyone have ingame footage? I can't believe this is real, this looks like a cheap unity project with assets out the rear end

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

Anyone have ingame footage? I can't believe this is real, this looks like a cheap unity project with assets out the rear end

That's because it literally is. The game was built in Unity and uses it's free assets. You can play the game for free and see yourself right now https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=69568

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
How long is the free trial good for? Can you hang out as a level 5 rear end in a top hat and tell new players lies about dangerous things to do for weeks, or is it time-limited?

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
I believe it's free up to a certain level. There's no time limit other than your personal tolerance for playing it.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Republicanus posted:

How long is the free trial good for? Can you hang out as a level 5 rear end in a top hat and tell new players lies about dangerous things to do for weeks, or is it time-limited?

There are no new players though. That's the thing. It's an empty world of store-bought Unity assets and janky animations. It is terrible. It is so bad.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Thursday Next posted:

There are no new players though. That's the thing. It's an empty world of store-bought Unity assets and janky animations. It is terrible. It is so bad.

Its like those asset flips on steam, except this one managed to spend 1mil+ on development.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I watched some streams of this and it is unbelievably bad, what is it's gimmick supposed to be? A guy was like talking to a bunch of "prithee thou art mine liege" type npcs and then doing these janky animations at really generic npcs

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The guy who made UO is involved. As best I can tell that is the games gimmick in its entirety. No absurd promises of impossible game mechanics or anything like that. Just Lord British, who apparently got dressed up and danced a few times even.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
it's been five? years since richard garriot had iolo the bard come in during the first stream and confirm he'd be hiring him to make the soundtrack, does anyone know if there is any confirmation of how many tracks iolo recorded for the game?

the only redeeming aspect of this project would be at least being able to download those songs

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

extra stout posted:

it's been five? years since richard garriot had iolo the bard come in during the first stream and confirm he'd be hiring him to make the soundtrack, does anyone know if there is any confirmation of how many tracks iolo recorded for the game?

the only redeeming aspect of this project would be at least being able to download those songs

I played the trial some hours and a lot of the music definitely is in iolo's style, but a lot of it comes off as an ear-grating midi mess. I did like the main menu music atleast, that evoked the sort of feelings I think Garriot was trying to go for.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hra Mormo posted:

I played the trial some hours and a lot of the music definitely is in iolo's style, but a lot of it comes off as an ear-grating midi mess. I did like the main menu music atleast, that evoked the sort of feelings I think Garriot was trying to go for.

But how's the game?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Frog Act posted:

I watched some streams of this and it is unbelievably bad, what is it's gimmick supposed to be? A guy was like talking to a bunch of "prithee thou art mine liege" type npcs and then doing these janky animations at really generic npcs

lol I just looked up a streamer and he is defending the poo poo out of this game and garriott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Dementropy posted:

But how's the game?

The music, it's great!