Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

his majesty the king is a godly man himself, led astray by his wicked advisers

his royal majesty, duke of all the divisions, lord of the analysts, king hair force iv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
godfucking damnit i though pleasurekevin was back

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i request pram's av next

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

godfucking damnit i though pleasurekevin was back

he is tho

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Stymie posted:

i request pram's av next

no no do cremnob

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

his majesty the king is a godly man himself, led astray by his wicked advisers

lol no the king has the privilege of being insulated from the teams of people who have to implement his calls, whether they be rooted in hands-clasped-in-tech-ceo-namaste-position altruism or rock-hard stone-cold capitalism.

middle management still sucks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

thank you

:patriot:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Rex-Goliath posted:

no no do cremnob

cremnob will return in 2028

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Scott Forstall posted:

lol no the king has the privilege of being insulated from the teams of people who have to implement his calls, whether they be rooted in hands-clasped-in-tech-ceo-namaste-position altruism or rock-hard stone-cold capitalism.

middle management still sucks

nah, it’s kim, the po, and the phalanx of epms that are loving things up. their job is to mistranslate information between layers until it matches their schedule. they are the antithesis of quality and yet the eteam believes they are the solution to improving it.

brbs will continue until the slope improves, etc

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

lol the parade of avs continues, but the fishmech av was better

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

nah, it’s kim, the po, and the phalanx of epms that are loving things up. their job is to mistranslate information between layers until it matches their schedule. they are the antithesis of quality and yet the eteam believes they are the solution to improving it.

brbs will continue until the slope improves, etc

how are you going to make 100 million of something without a shitload of process and procedure

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also I wish Apple would do something to fix notification defaults such that they only solicit attention when necessary, as opposed to immediately delivering ever engagement-juicing Hail Mary and white noise iMessage response. The basic model hasn’t changed in nearly a decade.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ah man i was looking for this lol saved

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Kobayashi posted:

Also I wish Apple would do something to fix notification defaults such that they only solicit attention when necessary, as opposed to immediately delivering ever engagement-juicing Hail Mary and white noise iMessage response. The basic model hasn’t changed in nearly a decade.

"could be worse, could be anroid"

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

has there been any confirmation that the imessage out of order bug is related to icloud poo poo or some change in the way apples handling imessage storage behind the scenes? anecdotal, but i have an x that i didnt restore from a backup and i havent seen it at all, but all of my friends who have phones that theyve updated to 11 have all seen it.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

just disable notifications for things unless they are actually important

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

just disable notifications because nothing is that important

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lol if you don’t have notifications disabled for everything except text messages and maybe lyft

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

ah man i was looking for this lol saved

:tipshat:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

“We exist and the intersection of technology and liberal arts, privacy is a human right, and we built a machine learning model into our web browser to block malicious tracking cookies, but also we think the individual owners of a billion+ iOS devices should janitor their notification settings.”

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

not really janitoring if you dont mash 'ok' every time tim helpfully asks you 'hey do you want this app to bug you or nah'

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i think a big part of the issue with apple is they consider you a nuisance edge case if you don't literally upgrade all your devices every two years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
love 2 deny notifications

also, gently caress whoever decided what the internet really needed was a way for thirsty-rear end news media sites to push notifications to your browser

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The macOS 10.13.4 update includes a firmware update for my 8 year old MacBook Pro, that’s kind of amazing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

r u ready to WALK posted:

The macOS 10.13.4 update includes a firmware update for my 8 year old MacBook Pro, that’s kind of amazing

apple, a company in decline, is constantly looking to the past

:smuggo:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Kobayashi posted:

“We exist and the intersection of technology and liberal arts, privacy is a human right, and we built a machine learning model into our web browser to block malicious tracking cookies, but also we think the individual owners of a billion+ iOS devices should janitor their notification settings.”

lmao how the hell is pushing ‘no’ the first time you launch an app janitoring?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

kobayashi is holding his breath until timb can guess the number he’s thinking! this is a loving atrocity that apple thinks they can get away with just ASKING for the number who the gently caress do they think they are??? better hurry up tim, kobayashi’s turning blue!!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

infernal machines posted:

love 2 deny notifications

also, gently caress whoever decided what the internet really needed was a way for thirsty-rear end news media sites to push notifications to your browser

does any bowser have a global setting for it? like don't even ask, i'm never going to give the permission to any site

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheany posted:

does any bowser have a global setting for it? like don't even ask, i'm never going to give the permission to any site

safari does. i don't see it in :chome: tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wheany posted:

firefox does, now, i'm not sure if it was there all along because i only went looking for it recently and it's a couple levels deep in the options menu

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Bulgakov posted:

"could be worse, could be anroid"

i mean, it's a true statement

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

r u ready to WALK posted:

judging by the recent stupid OS bug spree it will likely brick it lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

how are you going to make 100 million of something without a shitload of process and procedure

software is infinitely reproducible, it doesn’t matter if you make one or one hundred million. the limit is team’s ability to meet the schedule. if you keep piling on releases and increasing the number of devices that are supported then the team is always converging so can’t make forward progress, features get punted or released with bugs, technical debt piles up and no one has any time to work it down. so they react to that by increasing process which slows everything down more and makes the problem worse. rinse, repeat.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

echinopsis posted:

lady at work was kinda like amazed at my oiphone a bit and asked how much it cost and I said it was three fifity (a refurb SE) which IMO is amazing value for the phone you get, and if you spend that on a new android youd get a turd, and I think she was very very surprised at how much it was compared to everyone else with an iphone who might have a 6 or 7 but bought new and people spending $600+ so assume the iphone is out of reach

as long as you get a 5s or newer you are good.

a 5S is better than almost every andoird phone out there

I hope apple sweeps up that market

I want timb to realise the oiphone SE2 cos I need a new phone but it feels like I've missed the boat on buying an SE at this point

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

software is infinitely reproducible, it doesn’t matter if you make one or one hundred million. the limit is team’s ability to meet the schedule. if you keep piling on releases and increasing the number of devices that are supported then the team is always converging so can’t make forward progress, features get punted or released with bugs, technical debt piles up and no one has any time to work it down. so they react to that by increasing process which slows everything down more and makes the problem worse. rinse, repeat.

aren’t you a hardware engineer

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

software is infinitely reproducible, it doesn’t matter if you make one or one hundred million

at least someone in this forum understands the inherent worthlessness of software

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh wow thanks for a classic av to whomever

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
you're welcome buddy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rjmccall posted:

aren’t you a hardware engineer

all hardware bugs are software bugs late enough in the schedule. that’s when I get them