Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

100 children are dropped on an island, the last one to hear a potty word wins mcdonalds mcdonalds mcdonalds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

all of this talk made me remember when i was in 6th grade and watching die hard with my buddy and his parents

it ended and his dad was like...do they really have to curse so much?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
my kid swears like a loving sailor and I think its hilarious

i grew up with swearing being 'bad' and now that I am a parent i think its hypocritical bullshit, if i can say it my kid can too

i'm sure he'll be a hit at preschool this summer

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Event mode is hilarious.

The chaos from flares going off is insane. Gun fights out in the middle of nowhere.

I kinda wish this was the base game.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

my kid swears like a loving sailor and I think its hilarious

i grew up with swearing being 'bad' and now that I am a parent i think its hypocritical bullshit, if i can say it my kid can too

i'm sure he'll be a hit at preschool this summer

Same, but he'll be 20 next month so what fucks should I give?

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
According to reddit and some dudes on the mouse-sensitivity forums, the game's vertical sensitivity is 70% of the horizontal one. You need to change it through a config file if you want 1:1.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/881dj5/psa_11_mouse_sensitivity_fix/
https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/forum/topic/607-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/?page=20&tab=comments#comment-13853

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Wow. What a loving garbage game. Why can't they get basic poo poo right?

I ran some tests myself because I couldn't believe it, but yeah, the mouse travel distance was way different between axis when tracing the square side of a regular wooden crate at the spawn locations. After trying the fix it was way better. Not sure of a good way to replicate the 70% measurement but it seems close. The other option would be to set individual axis sensitivity in your mouse software if it can.

Hopefully this doesn't lead to bans.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Made even better by the fact that the sensitivity settings don't scale linearly, so it's not like you can just solve a math equation to figure out what you need to set them to.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Are there sound settings other than volume in game? Looking in the settings menu it just seems I can adjust volume for different sounds, is the rest controlled via windows settings? (i.e. 7.1, speaker etc)

The reason I ask is because I have no issues with sound from a distance, but close up I can't loving tell where people are shooting/coming at me from and it's getting really annoying.

Also, every time the game updates, at least I think it's game updates, it switches my server back to Asia, is there a way to force it to NA always?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

boar guy posted:

um, i dont nor did i say i let them watch pubg streams, lol

lots of roblox, though, and minecraft

yeah if you're talking about roblox and minecraft streams that makes sense, choco isn't a minecraft or roblox streamer

for a game like PUBG which is insanely violent it strikes me as a much dumber thing to worry about, especially when playing the game with voice chat will usually mean your ears get murdered with like 50 people screaming racial slurs all at the same time

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah if you're talking about roblox and minecraft streams that makes sense, choco isn't a minecraft or roblox streamer

for a game like PUBG which is insanely violent it strikes me as a much dumber thing to worry about, especially when playing the game with voice chat will usually mean your ears get murdered with like 50 people screaming racial slurs all at the same time

itd be pretty hypocritical to let an 11 year old watch pubg streams and get mad at them for hearing swears :)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

half of you are looking at people making jokes about swearing on stream and rushing to make your own jokes and the other half are taking it extremely seriously and getting mad at the policing

the policing which isn't actually happening

Please talk about something else

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

boar guy posted:

itd be pretty american to let an 11 year old watch pubg streams and get mad at them for hearing swears :)
ftfy, no nudity or swearing allowed in your murder game

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
unironically it'd be loving hilarious to have Conan Exiles-style nudity in pubg

let me charge a man with a pan while my gigantic polygon penis jiggles around through the air like one of those car dealership inflatable things

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

MF_James posted:

Are there sound settings other than volume in game? Looking in the settings menu it just seems I can adjust volume for different sounds, is the rest controlled via windows settings? (i.e. 7.1, speaker etc)

The reason I ask is because I have no issues with sound from a distance, but close up I can't loving tell where people are shooting/coming at me from and it's getting really annoying.
Not that I've found (but I mostly have trouble with sound orientation from long range). What I can say is that in my audio software, I had been using the setting for 7.1 or 5.1 but I actually always play with a headset. Once I switched that back to 'stereo' or 'headphones', my directional sound was improved. My mobo has a RealTek audio chip, so it comes w/ their audio manager which also has something called 'headphone virtualization' but who the hell knows what that does.

quote:

Also, every time the game updates, at least I think it's game updates, it switches my server back to Asia, is there a way to force it to NA always?
Nope, but they're too focused on delivering new "content" like strategically-disadvantageous gun skins to be worrying about fixing stuff like that. However, from what I've seen, their 'roadmap for Pubg' indicated they'd be working to region-lock servers in the not-too-distant future. If you have a friend who plays on different geographical servers, you can still join their party and play on their servers, but if it's just you, you won't have the option to choose, as far as I know.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Fantastipotamus posted:

strategically-disadvantageous gun skins

lol

I just want them to fix the blood splatters. If I see a blood splatter, make it 100% correlate with me actually hitting that person. Bothers the poo poo out of me. Parachute damage used to bother the poo poo out of me, but they fixed that.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Danyull posted:

Made even better by the fact that the sensitivity settings don't scale linearly, so it's not like you can just solve a math equation to figure out what you need to set them to.

Oh my god this explains so much

What the gently caress, bluehole

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lower vertical sensitivity is pretty common in FPS games. y'all have probably played plenty of games with it and never knew it, so you could not become OUTRAGED

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Just FYI if you pick up a flare gun make sure that you pick up the ammo or else you're going to be running around with a useless gun while people try and gank you. If you don't at least you'll get to laugh when someone loots your body and then begins to run around and look for the ammo while people try to gank them

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

MF_James posted:

Unreal 4 engine which PUBG uses just outputs whichever format the audio endpoint asks for, it does support 7.1 so if your headphones report themselves as 7.1 you'll get all the surround channels.

According to some YouTube videos the default stereo setting uses a speaker panning law, which is allegedly why it's hard to pinpoint where sounds are coming from if they're not in front of you. Supposedly switching to 7.1 with a good HRTF function helps a lot.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/979720964937265153

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Just FYI if you pick up a flare gun make sure that you pick up the ammo or else you're going to be running around with a useless gun while people try and gank you. If you don't at least you'll get to laugh when someone loots your body and then begins to run around and look for the ammo while people try to gank them

alternately: grab the gun, leave the ammo, and run like gently caress in a car, preferably while doing the Serious Sam headless kamikaze scream in all chat

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Fantastipotamus posted:

Not that I've found (but I mostly have trouble with sound orientation from long range). What I can say is that in my audio software, I had been using the setting for 7.1 or 5.1 but I actually always play with a headset. Once I switched that back to 'stereo' or 'headphones', my directional sound was improved. My mobo has a RealTek audio chip, so it comes w/ their audio manager which also has something called 'headphone virtualization' but who the hell knows what that does.

Nope, but they're too focused on delivering new "content" like strategically-disadvantageous gun skins to be worrying about fixing stuff like that. However, from what I've seen, their 'roadmap for Pubg' indicated they'd be working to region-lock servers in the not-too-distant future. If you have a friend who plays on different geographical servers, you can still join their party and play on their servers, but if it's just you, you won't have the option to choose, as far as I know.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Unreal 4 engine which PUBG uses just outputs whichever format the audio endpoint asks for, it does support 7.1 so if your headphones report themselves as 7.1 you'll get all the surround channels.

According to some YouTube videos the default stereo setting uses a speaker panning law, which is allegedly why it's hard to pinpoint where sounds are coming from if they're not in front of you. Supposedly switching to 7.1 with a good HRTF function helps a lot.

Thanks for the Info, I'll double-check my sound settings, but they should be set for headphones/stereo since I don't have speakers and I am pretty loving sure I set everything to stereo/headphones to begin with.

Also the uzi is a loving beast, just cuts dudes down so fast in the early game, I regularly beat out guys with M4s because it just dumps a clip so quickly.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Grab the gun and ammo, then just shoot the flare into the ground for the ultimate spite

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MF_James posted:

Also the uzi is a loving beast, just cuts dudes down so fast in the early game, I regularly beat out guys with M4s because it just dumps a clip so quickly.
Yeah I've started actually using it and it just buzzsaws people, sometimes at deceptively long ranges too.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

MF_James posted:

Yeah, I'd rather have the uzi out in closed corners over anything including shotguns

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I distinctly remember being told to git gud when I said I preferred the Uzi over shotguns in this thread

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
You should have to state your KD and games played before saying what guns you prefer and what guns you own with :smug:

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 30, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Mordja posted:

Yeah I've started actually using it and it just buzzsaws people, sometimes at deceptively long ranges too.

Yeah, since I've been dropping into more contested areas getting an uzi pretty much guarantees me 2-3 kills and I'll generally make it out alive. I still like the shotguns and they can definitely knock people out quickly but the uzi is nasty.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You should have to state your KD and games played before saying what guns you prefer and what guns you own with :smug:

I have a K/D of at least 0.5

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

hawowanlawow posted:

I distinctly remember being told to git gud when I said I preferred the Uzi over shotguns in this thread

Shotguns in this game drive me nuts and yes the UZI is undervalued. It's not the best SMG but it's often the one you will get in early game and I'd take it over any shotgun in a game with this netcode.

"any smg" + "any AR with optics" is what I want each game. I have more specific desires within that category but if I can manage that I'm happy. But I'm opposed to having primaries share ammo for less than logical reasons.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Shotguns in this game drive me nuts and yes the UZI is undervalued. It's not the best SMG but it's often the one you will get in early game and I'd take it over any shotgun in a game with this netcode.

"any smg" + "any AR with optics" is what I want each game. I have more specific desires within that category but if I can manage that I'm happy. But I'm opposed to having primaries share ammo for less than logical reasons.

Primaries sharing ammo sucks until you get a few kills (or a lot of looting) under your belt, by then you'll likely have more ammo than you need, but in the first 5-10 minutes of the game ammo is premium and unless you get lucky with 10 boxes of 5.56, you're going to be at 1 maybe 2 magazines full, which is not a lot if you run into a few fights without being able to grab more.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Uzi has pretty much no climb in single fire, too; totally serviceable in the early game for "sniping" other looters who are out of position.

S12K is a real beast for anything under 40m, especially if you can spare a mag upgrade for it. The shorter range and lower damage doesn't matter when you can put 5-8 shells out in a second. Doesn't matter much if you gently caress up one of your shots, too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
One thing I really love about this game, and something that I don't see mattering in most others, is you can play quite differently based on your ammo reserve. 30 rounds of 5.56 can take you through an entire fight with judicious use of single shots, or you can spend it in a few moments of sustained fire or even just speculative or suppressing fire.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I need to learn to keep my mouth shut...

https://youtu.be/D-DKOyOcIWY

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shotguns are coded very dumbly so i'd always use an uzi over one.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So I almost never play solo, if I'm by myself I play 1 person squad. However, I tried some solo last night and the sniping end game seemed a lot more common and also unforgiving. Why would that be? Just less eyes and no knocks?

Also I'm eating crow regarding my dismissal of SRs; a m16a4 with a 4x feels pretty drat inadequate against a crate SR.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

It sounds like a lot of you guys prefer playing 1 man squad rather than solo. Am I missing something, or does that make just everything way harder? I'm terrible enough as it is in solo, no need for facing several enemies alone.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

csidle posted:

It sounds like a lot of you guys prefer playing 1 man squad rather than solo. Am I missing something, or does that make just everything way harder? I'm terrible enough as it is in solo, no need for facing several enemies alone.

I prefer it mainly because I seem to get in more firefights and other players appear to be more aggressive. Playing just solo means I'm usually sniped rather than engaged in a battle. Even if it's poor odds for me I still have more fun because at least I'm playing spoiler.

Even joining randoms in squads is more fun than solo for me because if they suck I can just mute them and follow them around. If they're not bad there's a guarantee I'll at least get in an interesting firefight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For me it's that I believe the other players act differently in the game modes; I'd rather practice facing an enemy squad than sink my solo play time into what I do think is a very different game mode.

For what it's worth when I do play solo the early and mid game feel like a breeze because I only have to deal with 1 v 1 encounters but I'm clearly lacking the subtleties of the solo end game, I get shot a lot from people I don't see and I think I've been relying on my squad to find people.

Oddly when I 1-squad and get to the top 10 it feels easier to see and not be seen, I guess just because the numbers are on your side both ways.