Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

I’m an econ major

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

normal contact posted:

I’m an econ major

:thunk:

Went all in on crypto or a more mainstream form of gambling?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Xenocides posted:

Short term ETN and not for the faint of heart, though it (had) a big Reddit following because during the long bull market stretch it eventually turned in to something like printing money....until the opposite happened.

This story is worse:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/xiv-trader-ive-lost-4-million-3-years-of-work-and-other-peoples-money-2018-02-06

Lost 4m in one day, 1.5m of which was friend/family cash (though I suspect not their basis).

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Xenocides posted:

XIV, a financial instrument that was probably too complicated for most of the people trading it on Reddit to understand. It kept going UP for 7 years and then became worthless over the course of a week.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/xiv-trader-ive-lost-4-million-3-years-of-work-and-other-peoples-money-2018-02-06

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Saeku posted:

XIV, a financial instrument that was probably too complicated for most of the people trading it on Reddit to understand.

So crypto but not crypto?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So crypto but not crypto?

Think Crypto-nut mindset applied to a very complicated financial instrument. I.e. the worst of both worlds.

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

normal contact posted:

I’m an econ major

Also lol at "I can do good financial analysis". Whatever you say buddy...

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

One financial analysis, please!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Devonaut posted:

One financial analysis, please!

Analysis complete: dude's going to have to sell a kidney.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I have analysed the financials, and my conclusion is that you should put everything on XIV, then borrow another 1.5m and put that on XIV as well, and also short the loving VIX why not

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Enchanted Hat posted:

I have analysed the financials, and my conclusion is that you should put everything on XIV, then borrow another 1.5m and put that on XIV as well, and also short the loving VIX why not

That last part is called risk management.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Sounds like he had a financial anal lysis instead.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

therobit posted:

Sounds like he had a financial anal lysis instead.

I’ve always wanted to use that line, but never thought it would be understood!

A cell lyses when an osmotic gradient causes osmosis to pull in more water than a cell’s walls can contain/the cell can pump out, resulting in the cell tearing as the internal pressure increases. This is part of why salt water fish can’t handle fresh water, because their cells are adapted to water will not enter their cells as readily.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

I've been reviewing resumes for an accounting role at my company this morning. I am in love with the statement, "I know Excel, I can do good financial analysis, I can do accounting or bookkeeping."

https://local.theonion.com/company-immediately-calls-job-applicant-upon-seeing-b-1819574706

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

19 o'clock posted:

I've been reviewing resumes for an accounting role at my company this morning. I am in love with the statement, "I know Excel, I can do good financial analysis, I can do accounting or bookkeeping."

https://local.theonion.com/company-immediately-calls-job-applicant-upon-seeing-b-1819574706

IDGI.

"Completely normal applicant sends completely normal resume to literal entry-level job opening in their field, THE TEMERITY!!!!"?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

19 o'clock posted:

This is a good post.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

hailthefish posted:

IDGI.

"Completely normal applicant sends completely normal resume to literal entry-level job opening in their field, THE TEMERITY!!!!"?

Comm majors get a lot of poo poo for having a worthless degree.

https://youtu.be/_4OuAAM4v_Y
I'm majoring in Communication Studies. :(

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

I’ve always wanted to use that line, but never thought it would be understood!

A cell lyses when an osmotic gradient causes osmosis to pull in more water than a cell’s walls can contain/the cell can pump out, resulting in the cell tearing as the internal pressure increases. This is part of why salt water fish can’t handle fresh water, because their cells are adapted to water will not enter their cells as readily.

Look bud it's 2018 there is at least one person on any given website who knows the thing you know, nothing is obscure anymore

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
It just feels like for what he needs (a lot of money quickly) that he may be overestimating his skill set. Sorry if I came off as snarky.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

BigDave posted:

Ehh in my very narrow experience as a writing consultant, my comm. friends who want to get into the game are overall weaker at writing, grammar, and adapting to new formats than my English lit friends.

I suspect this is because having to write about dead boring poets at the college level when you loving hate writing about dead boring poets teaches you to produce a satisfying deliverable despite your intense hatred for the topic at hand. Extremely relevant training when you're asked to say, produce marketing copy for a loving bounce house company (this is not a cry for help I swear) or have to deal with a picky client/challenging project

That said merit will always vary based on the individual rather than the degree they snagged, especially with the countless resources online that let you teach yourself any marketable skill so I don't wanna hear any excuses!

But yeah that post was funny because of how optimistic the "candidate" is about his entirely run of the mill qualifications

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

BigDave posted:

You can always look down on the political science majors.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Xenocides posted:

You can always look down on the political science majors.

PoliSci majors: "I'm gonna be a lawyer, then run for the Senate!" :downs:

Sure you are pal, sure you are.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Also my communications friends who showed absolutely zero follow through with anything related to writing projects or jobs did go on to find cozy positions in other fields

A College Degree is A College Degree, etc. If you think the job market is tough, try going without a BA or BS...I don't like the rhetoric that hurf durf college is a bad investment because it encourages people who don't know better to lock themselves into lower wages for the rest of their lives (yes I know this doesn't apply to your rich cousin who didn't even finish high school, just going off of the dept of labor stats for average earnings based on level of education)

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 30, 2018

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

BigDave posted:

PoliSci majors: "I'm gonna be a lawyer, then run for the Senate!" :downs:

Sure you are pal, sure you are.

My 152 LSAT's gonna open doors and then you'll see

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

olylifter posted:

My 152 LSAT's gonna open doors and then you'll see

Side note: what's an actually good score for LSAT?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

KingSlime posted:

A College Degree is A College Degree, etc. If you think the job market is tough, try going without a BA or BS...I don't like the rhetoric that hurf durf college is a bad investment because it encourages people who don't know better to lock themselves into lower wages for the rest of their lives (yes I know this doesn't apply to your rich cousin who didn't even finish high school, just going off of the dept of labor stats for average earnings based on level of education)
Yeah, the main problem with English/art/etc degrees is that you need more self-focus to figure out what you want to do and how to get there than you would in degrees for A Specific Skill For A Specific Job.

An unfocused person going into nursing/computer-touching/etc degrees can shrug and get a mediocre(compared to people who know exactly what they want and have the drive to get it) job in the field after they graduate. An unfocused person getting an English/whatever degree has no defined field their degree is for, which means they can't sleepwalk into a mediocre job like that - they'll waste more time figuring out what kinds of jobs they should even apply for, what those types of employers are looking for, etc. Even then they're still better off than if they'd hosed around doing nothing(or doing low-skill work) for those four years, since most jobs worth a poo poo want you to have a degree.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

totalnewbie posted:

180 is the highest you can get, so 170-ish is upper tier.

Median score is 150, so that would be a equivalent of a 18 on the ACT, or 900 on the SAT.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

totalnewbie posted:

Not having taken it in the first place.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

FrozenVent posted:

Not having taken it in the first place.

Law school grad here, can confirm.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Don't give our for profit college administrators any ideas.

There's a whole industry that preys on poor folks who have a vague sense that college = better jobs. Anyone with family members who have gone to college or have middle class jobs know they're bullshit but there are a lot of desperate poor folks who don't know any better. The military is a particularly lovely target for the industry. So are immigrants.

Anyway you sign up for their courses, take out loans that would make the Harvard student aid department flinch and end up with a degree in "security" or "culinary arts" or "graphic design" that marks you as an idiot who doesn't understand how your field works. Also you are now in crushing debt that you'll spend the rest of your life paying off. The company makes out with whatever they can wring from the remnants of the GI bill and anything you make is a nice bonus.

Back in the early 2000s, a friend of mine from high school decided to take classes at a for profit technology school to be a Helpdesk Analyst or whatever it was called to basically be a certified entry level hell desk person. He took out a loan for a decent amount of money to do it, then proceeded to tell us about how cool it was that their teacher let them just play Doom in class. Unsurprisingly, he never landed a job with his "degree".

He made some bad with money decisions but also some sad with money ones too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Strap in boys, I've got a bad one.

This poor guy wracked up a bunch of credit card debt because he didn't close some joint credit cards he had with his now exgirlfriend. She went on a spending spree, but since she was an authorized user of the card there's nothing to really be done about it since he never removed her. Can't file a fraud claim because it was her card on his account and she signed everything. Guy is just gonna have to take her to small claims court.

That's not the bad with money part, that's just the sad part (I mean it is, but not with this as well).

This guy rents a car at $1100 a month to drive Uber. His car broke down, he can't afford to fix it because he has tens of thousands of credit card debt he has to sue his ex over (all his cards are over the limit), and he can't get a new credit card to just toss the parts on because right now he's using more than 100% of his available credit and has missed a few payments by more than a month so has like a 400 credit score. He's barely making enough to pay rent and eat after the rental car is paid for and is nowhere near being able to make the minimum payments on his credit cards.

I'm assuming he used to have good credit because he has decent limits on his cards (he's got one with us with a $24k limit). I tried to explain to him that this isn't going to work and he's going to keep getting worse and worse in debt and that he has to change something because I can't just "stop" charging him interest to let him catch up.

There's more to it, but honestly the guy is good guy and is just dealing with some poo poo. Isn't listening to reason though because he refuses to quit Uber because then he'll be "unemployed."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Shame you're not allowed to give him advice, because he seems like he needs a WFH job. Pizza Hut has a gig economy WFH pizza order taking call center type thing now. At least then he wouldn't have to spend $1100 a month on renting a car.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Volmarias posted:

their teacher let them just play Doom in class

What do you expect when you are in class to learn about working hell desk

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A class on which liquors give you the most alcohol per dollar.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of how some of my co-workers (all middle-aged women besides myself) in administration were talking about the difficulties of finding a job when they have to compete with younger people with degrees. My reply, lol, don't loving worry, nobody's hiring all those kids with degrees when they can get someone with years of experience who can walk into the job and already know what to do, because nobody wants to train anyone anymore.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Shame you're not allowed to give him advice, because he seems like he needs a WFH job. Pizza Hut has a gig economy WFH pizza order taking call center type thing now. At least then he wouldn't have to spend $1100 a month on renting a car.

I can give little bits of advice, but I try to stay the hell out of people's poo poo because it can turn into "my bank told me that you were ripping me off!!!!!" real quick. I joke around with my friends that a lot of my job is listening to people vent about stuff, so I'm basically just a bartender in expensive shoes.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m guessing a WFH call gig job would actually be “working” and people who drive for uber don’t like to actually “work”.

Uber has no boss that tells you what time to be there, how to dress, you don’t have to shave or even shower and you can talk on the phone the entire ride. Ive had some uber drivers that are doing it to supplement another job, I’ve had a few that are probably immigrants that have difficulty landing another job, but I’ve had a lot that make me think they don’t want a real job and want to just drive around all day with no responsibilities.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

I’m guessing a WFH call gig job would actually be “working” and people who drive for uber don’t like to actually “work”.

Uber has no boss that tells you what time to be there, how to dress, you don’t have to shave or even shower and you can talk on the phone the entire ride. Ive had some uber drivers that are doing it to supplement another job, I’ve had a few that are probably immigrants that have difficulty landing another job, but I’ve had a lot that make me think they don’t want a real job and want to just drive around all day with no responsibilities.

And has been gone over obsessively in this thread, Uber is all about deferring costs. If all you look at is the next month, Uber isn't a bad deal. It's not a great one, but it isn't bad either. Easy work, ready cash, crippling obligations and expenses further on down the road.

Ironically, Uber the company is run in much the same way. Whether it's long term revenue trends or how many LIDAR cameras you need on an autonomous vehicle. If it works today, why worry about tomorrow.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can give little bits of advice, but I try to stay the hell out of people's poo poo because it can turn into "my bank told me that you were ripping me off!!!!!" real quick. I joke around with my friends that a lot of my job is listening to people vent about stuff, so I'm basically just a bartender in expensive shoes.

You’d be surprised how expensive good restaurant industry shoes are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Senor Dog posted:

You’d be surprised how expensive good restaurant industry shoes are

Most people would be surprised at how much money bartenders and waiters make at high end restaurants as well. Pulling in six figures after tips isn't out of the ordinary for them.