Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Terrible book but a great title.

Ready Player One is a perfect title for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Leofish posted:

I'm genuinely curious how many people who aren't weird internet nerds like us know what Gamergate is. This book sold very well and presumably a lot of people who are only on the periphery of the geek world Cline idolizes read it and maybe even enjoyed it, but did Gamergate really resonate that much outside of the online gamer bubbles? I wonder what people who read it in 2011 who never paid any attention to gg would think about RPO today.

I'll agree that the world is a much different place now than it was when RPO was released and seeing the book through this new lens can't be helped. In a similar vein, one of the pop culture podcasts I listen to recently did an episode on Fight Club and about how the movie is terrifying and horrible when you view it through the lens of recent history. I can see how gg can have that effect on this book for the people in those overlapping Venn circles.

I did think that making Tyler less of a pathetic fuckup was a bad adaptation choice. That bit where his bombs don’t work because he’s poo poo at chemistry was a fantastic punchline.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I did think that making Tyler less of a pathetic fuckup was a bad adaptation choice. That bit where his bombs don’t work because he’s poo poo at chemistry was a fantastic punchline.

That reminds me a lot of Columbine, actually. Eric Harris was convinced that he was a genius with an elaborate plan to kill thousands with homemade bombs. He put up a lot of videos on his website about detonating pipe bombs and the like.

When the attack actually happened, every single bomb planted in the cafeteria was a dud, and even shooting them didn’t detonate them. The infamous shooting by Harris and Klebold was actually just them improvising after their elaborately planned terrorist attack fizzled miserably.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Leofish posted:

I'm genuinely curious how many people who aren't weird internet nerds like us know what Gamergate is. This book sold very well and presumably a lot of people who are only on the periphery of the geek world Cline idolizes read it and maybe even enjoyed it, but did Gamergate really resonate that much outside of the online gamer bubbles? I wonder what people who read it in 2011 who never paid any attention to gg would think about RPO today.

I'll agree that the world is a much different place now than it was when RPO was released and seeing the book through this new lens can't be helped. In a similar vein, one of the pop culture podcasts I listen to recently did an episode on Fight Club and about how the movie is terrifying and horrible when you view it through the lens of recent history. I can see how gg can have that effect on this book for the people in those overlapping Venn circles.

The problem is that that shift in the lens didn't happen because of just gamergate; it's the product of an increasing wave of criticism towards how women are viewed and treated by men, especially in male-dominated spaces. Nerds were dealing with how lovely nerd culture is to women when RPO came out; 2011 was also when elevatorgate went down, and dickwolves were the year before.

Gamergate is probably just the point where nerdy-types can't pretend ignorance about the woman problem anymore. All the big internet news sites covered it; anyone going to a Marvel film opening weekend has an opinion on it. That's enough people to shift public consensus, especially on a movie targeted at that demographic.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Several of us have been recommending "Otherword" by Tad Williams throughout this thread. It is the perfect anodyne to RPO. Everything Cline writes is done way better by Williams.

Wikipedia posted:

Otherland is a science fiction tetralogy written by Tad Williams and published between 1996 and 2001. The story is set on Earth near the end of the 21st century, probably between 2082 and 2089, in a world where technology has advanced somewhat beyond the present. The most notable advancement is the widespread availability of full-immersion virtual reality installations, which allow people from all walks of life to access an online world, called simply the Net. Tad Williams weaves an intricate plot spanning four thick volumes, and creates a picture of a future society where virtual worlds are fully integrated into everyday life.

It's very difficult to relay how well Williams uses nostalgia and geek references in his story, or how good the character development is.

quote:

Meanwhile, in the late 21st century, technology has advanced so that the internet has become a vast Virtual Reality network. The most realistic connections to the network are achieved by using an expensive, surgically implanted bio-port interface at the back of the user's neck called a 'neurocannula'. However, around the world, children are falling victim to a disease known as Tandagore Syndrome, which in its most serious form is a deep coma from which the patient cannot wake.

The main plot revolves around several unrelated characters' attempts to figure out why their friends are literally losing their minds to the Net.

quote:

Irene "Renie" Sulaweyo, an instructor in "virtual engineering" at a polytechnic institute in Durban, South Africa, is devastated when her younger brother, Stephen, falls victim to this disease. She and her former San technology student !Xabbu (pronounced with an unspecified clicking sound, as in the Xhosa language) begin to investigate what has happened and start discovering strange goings-on in the Net, including an evil hypnotic entity and the constant reappearance of a mysterious golden city.

The golden city is an Easter Egg that many of the heroes see, pulling them into the quest to find its connection to Tandagore Syndrome.

quote:

She seeks expert assistance from a previous instructor, Susan van Bleeck. But it soon becomes apparent that she has made powerful enemies: Renie is dismissed from her job, the apartment complex where she and her unemployed father Long Joseph live is burned down, and Professor van Bleeck is murdered. Renie turns to two of van Bleeck's acquaintances: a retired security expert and hacker called "Blue Dog Anchorite" and the French researcher Martine Desroubins. Blue Dog Anchorite informs the others that Otherland, the mysterious network where the golden city is located, was specially commissioned by a cryptic organization known as the "Grail Brotherhood", comprising some of the world's wealthiest and most powerful men and women, and that he is the only surviving member of the team who devised Otherland's security, his colleagues having died in unusual circumstances. With the help of Martine and Blue Dog, Renie, !Xabbu, Long Joseph and van Bleeck's assistant Jeremiah Dako break into Wasps' Nest, a mothballed military base in the Drakensberg which nevertheless contains equipment facilitating extended stays online. While Long Joseph and Jeremiah stay offline, she, !Xabbu and Martine (who remains in France) break into the Otherland network to reach the golden city.

In contrast to RPO, the real world danger is both realistic and immediate. The villains are actually trying to accomplish something, rather than being a caricature of evil. The masterminds aren't involved in any of the violence either. They've contacted it out and there are a series of henchmen with their own business concerns and place in the conspiracy.

quote:

In North America, Orlando Gardiner and his friend Sam Fredericks, famous contestants in the Middle Country, a Medieval fantasy gameworld, go on an apparently routine quest, where Orlando finds his own image of the golden city. While he is distracted by the image, his gaming character is killed, and he becomes obsessed with finding out what the city is and why it was shown to him. Following the trail of the city, he and Fredericks gain access to the online fringe community TreeHouse, from where they too find their way into Otherland.

As they try to discover the motivations of the Grail Brotherhood — obviously not world domination, since they already control the world — they discover that they are unable to log off. They are trapped, and if they die in the network, they also die in real life. The series covers their adventures as they seek to uncover the truth and wake their loved ones from their comas.

Williams gets everything right, from how MMOs are played to the pop culture references he makes. He also weaves in future pop culture, making you think "yeh, that's what memes will be like in 75 years". In general, it's everything RPO is claiming to be.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Movie trip report: better than the book, unsurprisingly. Spielberg knows how to make things look cool even if it is ultimately a bunch of empty green screen nonsense. Everyone is more attractive than they should be. They actually inserted a moral. The Shining bit was kind of cool. The dystopian part of the setting still doesn't make sense and that is made extremely obvious when you see streets full of downtrodden masses who are also wearing VR goggles?

2/5, would not have seen it if someone else wasn't footing the bill.

e: there were a lot of changes from the book but one of the most baffling to me is: when you log into OASIS you literally see the words "Ready Player One". There is a title card sequence in the book and they didn't use it for the movie. :psyduck:

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 30, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I actually read one of the Otherland novels and remember not really enjoying it much, though it was a long time ago so I don't remember enough details to really say why. At least I think it was an Otherland novel, can anyone who read it tell me if Martine's blindness was caused by some experiment where children were put in a dark room for a period of time, and after doctors weren't able to find anything physiologically wrong with her eyes?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I actually read one of the Otherland novels and remember not really enjoying it much, though it was a long time ago so I don't remember enough details to really say why. At least I think it was an Otherland novel, can anyone who read it tell me if Martine's blindness was caused by some experiment where children were put in a dark room for a period of time, and after doctors weren't able to find anything physiologically wrong with her eyes?

That's the one. I'd give it another shot but start at the beginning.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I might add it to my read list but it's really long and I haven't really felt like reading a book in ages (also why it's so long).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's not that good. Sure, it is a masterpiece compared to RPO but otherwise a pretty generic sci-fi/fantasy romp throughout. The finale is metal as gently caress though.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

anilEhilated posted:

It's not that good. Sure, it is a masterpiece compared to RPO but otherwise a pretty generic sci-fi/fantasy romp throughout. The finale is metal as gently caress though.

I agree, somewhat (especially about the finale). I may be feeling far more nostalgic (haha) when comparing it to RPO, Mazerunner, or most other YA novels.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Can we just comment on how incredibly creepy the movie Art3mis is?

I’ve seen GIFs and it’s even weirder in motion.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Can we just comment on how incredibly creepy the movie Art3mis is?

I’ve seen GIFs and it’s even weirder in motion.

Not to mention she looks NOTHING like the character in the book, IMO.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
The Week wasn't a huge fan of the movie either.

quote:

Unfortunately, the creator, James Halliday — who cut out his friend and co-creator a la Steve Jobs — hated his creation so much that he destroyed this delicious pleasurescape where everyone could relax and have a good time. When he died, he announced that he'd hidden an "Easter egg" in the game that would give whomever found it control of the entire system. With one masterful stroke, he turned his paradise into a second dystopia, where everyone routinely logs in to run awful races until they die in a variety of horrid ways, losing all the money and riches their avatars had accumulated.

This is not, by the way, quite how the movie puts it. Ready Player One will keep trying to tell you that James Halliday is a good guy — a gentle, brilliant soul, in fact. A guy who loves his creation and whose approval our hero craves. I have decided that, like so many things in this movie, this is a test, and if I passed it, so can you! Don't be fooled: Halliday is bad. After all, who but a monster would decide to subject these sad human souls who just want some whimsy in The OASIS for goodness' sake to a second set of dreary incentives beyond the ones they endure in their real lives? And not just any incentive: an incentive so world-bendingly powerful that an evil company literally hires people to play the game — which Halliday ostensibly designed for FUN — as work? As literally anyone could have predicted they would? Because Halliday injected hyper-mega-capitalism into a world that he claimed stemmed from his hatred of rules and love of play?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also apparently the movie shows everyone using the OASIS outside of the book’s login points or computers, which means you see people not only walking down the street with VR visors but also participating in the big final battle wherever they happen to be. This all seems horrifically unsafe in a world with cars and walls.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

http://www.dorkly.com/post/86188/ready-player-one-plotholes-questions

This article has a GIF of the people involved in the final battle. I can just see them smashing into walls and dumpsters as they try to dodge virtual gunfire.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

According to this review they added the scene where wade kills his family by proxy and is remorseless and it's pretty much intact.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I will give the RPO high marks if it features Knife's Heartbeats, aka the ultimate argument in why modern culture needs to be destroyed by a modern Mongol invasion.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

nerdz posted:

According to this review they added the scene where wade kills his family by proxy and is remorseless and it's pretty much intact.

Correct.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also apparently the movie shows everyone using the OASIS outside of the book’s login points or computers, which means you see people not only walking down the street with VR visors but also participating in the big final battle wherever they happen to be. This all seems horrifically unsafe in a world with cars and walls.

Yes this is extremely goofy. Everyone, even kids who only have goggles and gloves on, acts like they're wearing full-body haptics, running down city sidewalks and poo poo in the midst of this battle and its some dang nonsense

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

quote:

In both the book and the movie, Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) lives in an Optimus Prime head inside an EVA unit’s head inside a giant Neo head (Keanu Reeves). In the movie, Watts calls this his “apartment,” while in the book he is infuriated by that term and exclusively refers to it as his “popculturducken.”

Can't even tell if this is satire.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
If we're throwing out better alternatives to RPO, how about Summer Wars? Anime, but a cute movie about a threat to the OASIS/matrix/virtual reality that the world depends upon that focuses on the importance of family and friends to keep poo poo going.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

there wolf posted:

If we're throwing out better alternatives to RPO, how about Summer Wars? Anime, but a cute movie about a threat to the OASIS/matrix/virtual reality that the world depends upon that focuses on the importance of family and friends to keep poo poo going.

This is a good recommendation. The way it deals with technology and the internet is hokey and shows way too much of its Digimon roots, but it's a beautifully animated and acted story with a great emotional heart and message behind it. Hell, check out Mamoru Hosoda's entire filmography (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, The Boy and the Beast, Wolf Children). They're all a hell of a lot better than wasting your time on anything Ernest Cline's ever written.

E: Plus Summer Wars does the "nerdy useless talent saves the world" bit not just better than how Armada does it, but three times over across three different equally important characters. The day is saved by a boy being really great at martial arts, another boy being really great at math, and a girl being absolutely fantastic at gambling.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 31, 2018

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I listened to the audiobook and I’d disagree that Wheaton adds anything. He’s passable as a narrator, but is incapable of doing character voices so just reads their dialogue with the disclaimer “I said” or “Max said.”

Wait. He still can't do voices for characters. I listened to Scalzi's Redshirts, which was the worst performance, in the sense there wasn't one, I've ever heard. The same slightly sarcastic WW delivery for every character. In a book with a lot of snappy back and forth dialogue. I assumed he only got the gig as a pal of Scalzi and the whole riffing on Star Trek thing that the book was. But he's still doing them, and he still hasn't mastered what I'd hitherto considered a basic requirement of a reader of audiobook fiction.

Jesus wept.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Deptfordx posted:

Wait. He still can't do voices for characters. I listened to Scalzi's Redshirts, which was the worst performance, in the sense there wasn't one, I've ever heard. The same slightly sarcastic WW delivery for every character. In a book with a lot of snappy back and forth dialogue. I assumed he only got the gig as a pal of Scalzi and the whole riffing on Star Trek thing that the book was. But he's still doing them, and he still hasn't mastered what I'd hitherto considered a basic requirement of a reader of audiobook fiction.

Jesus wept.

Yes, but he's the vice-president.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/980007977124904961?s=21

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Meanwhile, The Mary Sue posits (somewhat shallowly) the all-too believably theory that James Halliday is the real villain of RP1. It's certainly not an unrealistic tact to take in light of the general public slowly becoming more awake to the fact that that basically every TechBro billionaire is a monster rear end in a top hat.

Steve Jobs was an abusive prick. Mark Zuckerberg is a scheming sociopath who built the world's largest self-volunteered surveillance and data collection apparatus. Elon Musk is libertarian loon who's more destructive than he is productive. Peter Thiel is a literal vampire who kills news orgs that that make him mad. Tim Cook is a secretive sleaze bag. Jack Dorsey and Biz Stone REALLY loving love Nazis. Jeff Bezos just wants to own literally everything. And James Halliday enslaved the world in his own personal 1980s nostalgia hellscape.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Deptfordx posted:

Jesus wept.

Oh man I forgot about the Redshirts audiobook. You’re right, awful narration doesn’t help terrible material. That was the first audiobook I gave up on, and left me baffled about why it won a Hugo.

“Lol what if the red shirts realize they die a lot” is enough for a five minute SNL skit, not a whole book. I bailed when Scalzi began pointing out that actors in Los Angeles may be clueless.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

“Lol what if the red shirts realize they die a lot” is enough for a five minute SNL skit, not a whole book. I bailed when Scalzi began pointing out that actors in Los Angeles may be clueless.

Scalzi says he still gets letters from people who want him to write a Redshirts 2, and that's what he says. "I don't think there's enough joke there for a Redshirts 2, and honestly I'm not sure there was enough joke for all of Redshirts 1."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
A couple updates late, but I realized I forgot to point something out. Before the Deus Ex Ogica appears and offers the High Four sanctuary at his estate, Aech says he's willing to pick up everyone in his RV...including Shoto, who he KNOWS is in Japan, across the ocean from him. What a dick.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

A couple updates late, but I realized I forgot to point something out. Before the Deus Ex Ogica appears and offers the High Four sanctuary at his estate, Aech says he's willing to pick up everyone in his RV...including Shoto, who he KNOWS is in Japan, across the ocean from him. What a dick.

another part that would've made more sense if those two had just been huge weebs and not from japan at all

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

another part that would've made more sense if those two had just been huge weebs and not from japan at all

I don't know if that would make them more endearing or racist

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

nerdz posted:

it would be easier to justify them being huge stereotypes if it's 'oh these are two dipshits who think this is what japanese people act like thanks to pop culture'

instead it's cline who is the dipshit

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nerdz posted:

There's enough about this book to hate without pulling out the racism card.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

huh posted:

There's enough about this book to hate without pulling out the racism card.
Racism (and sexism and classism) is all through it, though. From Aech's reveal, which is the biggest load of performative anti-racism "tolerance" that actually ends up being waaaay more racist and sexist than if it had just been racist and sexist, to Daito and Shoto's introduction, where Cline expects you to provide your own gong sound effect.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Another thing to be annoyed about - Morrow revealed he had full creep-level access to everywhere in the OASIS and could turn invisible to perv on anyone he wanted. But he still knocked over all the magazines in Aech's private room.

Fucker never heard of noclip?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Racism (and sexism and classism) is all through it, though. From Aech's reveal, which is the biggest load of performative anti-racism "tolerance" that actually ends up being waaaay more racist and sexist than if it had just been racist and sexist, to Daito and Shoto's introduction, where Cline expects you to provide your own gong sound effect.

Also not only are Daito and Shoto the only Japanese characters in the entire book, Shoto never changes his “honorable samurai-san” personality after Daito dies, which means he’s 100% serious about this. Wade successfully appeals to them by referring to Japanese properties with their Japanese pronunciation and making a big ceremony of offering them Japanese items in game.

It’s like if they had an African gunter and his avatar just wore a cheetah loincloth and said “bunga bunga” while spearing Sixers.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Gorilla Salad posted:

Another thing to be annoyed about - Morrow revealed he had full creep-level access to everywhere in the OASIS and could turn invisible to perv on anyone he wanted. But he still knocked over all the magazines in Aech's private room.

Fucker never heard of noclip?

Morrow's wannabe Gandalf bullshit is so much worse because it's clear that he actually has the power to get rid of the antagonists, but just doesn't for some reason. He hates IOI and thinks the entire company is cheating at the game, why can't he ban the lot of them? Is this ever addressed in the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That would resolve a problem in a way that didn't allow Cline to furiously masturbate to the 80's though Wade, and that simply will not do.

• Locked thread