Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
unfortunately most Calvinists think JD Hall is crazy, so. no dice. pulpit and pen and reforming america ministries aaand...the other one. I think it's reformation media. all have a small contingent of incredibly vocal hyper-Calvinist followers that are really active in Calvinist FB groups.

if you spot a hyper-Calvinist ask them if you must intellectually assent to the doctrines of grace in order to be saved. this begins the Calvinist battle. tag somebody else in on the comment thread and agree with the person who knows the most about obscure dutch theologians (NOT Kuyper, this is a trap) and congrats you've just participated in some kind of weird reformed mating ritual that happens constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
thanks a lot for the 30 years war motherfuckers

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

I'm still mad France supported the evangelical union.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

I'm still mad France supported the evangelical union.
that was politics, it wasn't personal. would you rather they had supported hapsburgs?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

that was politics, it wasn't personal. would you rather they had supported hapsburgs?

Whichever that would lead to the defeat of the protestants. I play EUIV for a reason.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

dude there was seriously a post yesterday about how the inquisition might decide to kill pope francis for heresy.

a lot of these people are real, real dumb and I don't think they know what the 30yw even was

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

a lot of these people are real, real dumb
they were dumb back then too

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

Whichever that would lead to the defeat of the protestants. I play EUIV for a reason.
then spain and the HRE take over the earth

i mean no skin off my nose and i guess System Metternich would be happy, but this is going against literally the entirety of french foreign policy ever since the valois dynasty

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Big thanks to whoever suggested God of the Oppressed, this is great.

James Hal Cone posted:

The question of heresy must be reopened in our time, not for the purpose of witch-hunting, but for the sake of the Church's life. We need to be clear about the subject to which our proclamation points and the relation of our words about that Subject to our actions in the world. Here it must be emphasized that we are not simply concerned with our theological conceptualizations of Jesus Christ, although they are included. Theological concepts have meaning only as they are translated into theological praxis, that is, the Church living in the world on the basis of what it proclaims. This means that theology and ethics, though not identical, are closely interrelated: the mission of the Church is defined by its proclamation, and the proclamation is authenticated by the mission. For the sake of the mission of the Church in the world, we must continually ask, What actions deny the Truth disclosed in Jesus Christ? Where should the line be drawn? Can the Church of Jesus Christ be racist and Christian at the same time? Can the Church of Jesus Christ be politically, socially, and economically identified with the structures of oppression and also be a servant of Christ? Can the Church of Jesus Christ fail to make the liberation of the poor the center of its message and work, and still remain faithful to its Lord?

On the level of theory these questions are easy to answer. Yet they are very difficult to answer in the day-to-day life of the Church. This difficulty is increased because we live in a society of any denominations under an ethos of the "freedom" of religion. But difficulties do not make the questions less important. Indeed their importance is grounded in the integrity of our faith and the obedience that is inherent in the reality of Jesus Christ. The answer to the question of heresy as it relates both to our past and to our present situation begins and ends with the centrality of Jesus Christ as the Liberator of the oppressed. Any interpretation of the gospel in any historical period that fails to see Jesus as the Liberator of the oppressed is heretical. Any view of the gospel that fails to understand the Church as that community whose work and consciousness are defined by the community of the oppressed is not Christian and is thus heretical. Within this context the issue of heresy must be debated.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Phlegmatist posted:

unfortunately most Calvinists think JD Hall is crazy, so. no dice. pulpit and pen and reforming america ministries aaand...the other one. I think it's reformation media. all have a small contingent of incredibly vocal hyper-Calvinist followers that are really active in Calvinist FB groups.

if you spot a hyper-Calvinist ask them if you must intellectually assent to the doctrines of grace in order to be saved. this begins the Calvinist battle. tag somebody else in on the comment thread and agree with the person who knows the most about obscure dutch theologians (NOT Kuyper, this is a trap) and congrats you've just participated in some kind of weird reformed mating ritual that happens constantly.

I'm into some pretty obscure theologians, you probably haven't heard of them.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

shame on an IGA posted:

Big thanks to whoever suggested God of the Oppressed, this is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-NidcMz_xk&t=8s

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Despite the name, I rarely played EUIV in Europe. Majapahit is life; the spice must flow (from us). It is hard to reintroduce Hinduism into the Muslim territories of Nusantara. No biggie, though. At +1 Tolerance to Heathens, the Dharma abides.

Senju Kannon posted:

thanks for posting that link, just applied to a position at catholic relief services. here's to hoping!

Good luck! Death to underemployment.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GUNS posted:

is it bad that i'm actually glad about this because it will discourage more calvinists from coming into the church and gradually protestantizing it, which is a thing i'm paranoid about

like we are supposed to convert the whole world but i'd rather someone else deal with these bastards

im a little worried bc i know two people being received into the church tomorrow and one's a ex-calvinist street preacher and the other's sixteen and already flirting with sedevecantism

did go to tenebrae earlier and it was really cool

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Venezuelans lack Communion wafers this Easter, so a Colombian church stepped in

Truthfully, I had forgotten that Venezuela was hunger-stricken. The call to share bread together seems to apply to sacred as well as bulk bread.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Not gonna lie, most games of EU4 I play Muscovy, although I enjoy a nice game as a French Huguenot ruler every once in a while.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

the other's sixteen and already flirting with sedevecantism

no YOU shut the gently caress up HOLY FATHER. you ruined MY life and MOM's life and the CHAIR OF ST. PETER

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The Phlegmatist posted:

no YOU shut the gently caress up HOLY FATHER. you ruined MY life and MOM's life and the CHAIR OF ST. PETER

"You can't tell me what to do! You're not my REAL Pope!"

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Epicurius posted:

"You can't tell me what to do! You're not my REAL Pope!"

If I could thumbs-up or give kudos or favorite a post I would have wordlessly signaled my amusement with this post.

In unrelated news:

https://twitter.com/theghissilent/status/980094067034931206

quote:

the Church being more welcoming starts with you and me

let's rejoice that people who don't regularly attend Mass still feel called to show up on Easter

share a smile

share a kind word

don't make jokes about C+E Catholics

even on social media

be a reason they return

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

sorry for ruining your bright saturday with the most cursed of calvinist images

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Not to take a meme too seriously, but what, exactly, is the difference between heterodoxy and heresy?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

zonohedron posted:

Not to take a meme too seriously, but what, exactly, is the difference between heterodoxy and heresy?

The wiki article on Heterodoxy contains this

quote:

heterodoxy may describe beliefs that differ from strictly orthodox views, but that fall short either of formal or of material heresy

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
in the liturgical world, heresy is a very specific thing that's only really applied to people in teaching positions who are teaching heterodox theology. it's basically the willful desire to teach something other than the official teaching of the church. you can't accidentally fall into heresy.

in the calvinist world, heterodoxy has a couple more letters in it. who knows.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Okay, fair, I didn't think of it as similar to the difference between "assault" and "hitting somebody"! In the context of the meme, though, it's not like they're saying that Arminians are accidentally not Calvinists. (Unless Arminianism and Calvinism are both accidents in the Aristotelian sense?)

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

zonohedron posted:

(Unless Arminianism and Calvinism are both accidents in the Aristotelian sense?)

they're both accidents of history *lights my censer and speeds off in the popemobile*

I'll try to explain what's going on a little better. This is a hyper-Calvinist meme, and hyper-Calvinists believe that you MUST believe in the five solae and five-point Calvinism (TULIP) in order to be saved. So they're making fun of other Calvinists who believe Arminians to be brothers and sisters in Christ through defending them saying they're heterodox rather than heretics -- heterodoxy is connoted to be a "softer" form of heresy than, like, actual heresy. In other words, defending them by saying they're on the right track but they got lost or bored somewhere before finding the doctrines of grace. So they might have different beliefs, but they're not, at least, going against the solae.

Which hyper-Calvinists don't think actually happens. If you're part of the elect then you join a hyper-Calvinist church and then you are led to fully assent to the doctrines of grace. So they don't think kindly of Arminians or other Calvinists trying to defend them as part of the church.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

hyper-Calvinists believe that you MUST believe in the five solae and five-point Calvinism (TULIP) in order to be saved.
in other words, that it depends on your own efforts lol

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

in other words, that it depends on your own efforts lol

q: how do hyper-calvinists get to church on the lord's day

a: they start their cars and scream JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL until they get there somehow

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Sounds like we've got some salty pelagians ITT :smug:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
lol when you have to stumble through confession in spanish because all the priests at your parish just vanish during holy week

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYvw68IneV4
merry easter (sun's down, it counts)

i've been waiting weeks to post this itt so you all enjoy it

Caufman
May 7, 2007

zonohedron posted:

I like the idea of a chaos space marine protesting his execution: "Actually, it's heterodoxy."

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
if you're a protestant and don't know what happens at easter vigil I've hacked into the vatican archives to show you this image

warning: do NOT share this. we will know.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

That image.... I have feelings inside me right now and I don't know what kind of feelings they are.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Senju Kannon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYvw68IneV4
merry easter (sun's down, it counts)

i've been waiting weeks to post this itt so you all enjoy it

Im phoneposting so I was all sitting here like "it's a .jpeg...am I missing something? "

It only took about five minutes for me to click.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CountFosco posted:

That image.... I have feelings inside me right now and I don't know what kind of feelings they are.

What a mysterious Easter we are having this year.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

if you're a protestant and don't know what happens at easter vigil I've hacked into the vatican archives to show you this image

warning: do NOT share this. we will know.

tag yourself i'm the giant R.O.B. in the background

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Senju Kannon posted:

I'm the surprised looking lizard in the front.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Senju Kannon posted:

I'm the skirt that was not designed for tails.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
she got her titties out so really that skirt is the least of her problems

honestly i don't know why but the thing that bothers me the most isn't the inconsistency of dress (some fully clothed, some only half clothed, others fully nude) it's that the dude in the trench coat with the cross has no neck

some no neck fox in the church who shaved his fur into a cross just hanging out, doing no neck things

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
easter vigil liveposting, AMA

really bad attendance rate this year :( got a "woo! yeah!" during the exsultet though

lector keeps mispronouncing creeping things as creepy things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Off to the vigil myself.

:nws: posted:

Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around -1. Wind chill values as low as -16. West wind around 10 mph.
Sunday Sunny, with a high near 30. Wind chill values as low as -15. West wind 10 to 15 mph.

I may be induced to switch to the Orthodox calendar at this rate.

• Locked thread