Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

scarycave posted:

So I complained a bit about it yesterday.

But Salvaging in Xenoblade 2 nets you money ridiculously fast, letting you build up your development ranks like crazy. I really wish I understood it earlier, but the interface isn't really clear what your getting at exchanges since it kind of looks like they're asking for money for some "item" instead of the "item" just being a heap of money and not really existing. And going from just scrounging up money to buy everything from shops for deeds - to being near set for game life is great.

The issue about boosters remains, but I did find that you can sell them for garbage money - but at least I don't have to keep throwing out core crystals.

And there are amazing QoL deeds that get you +20 to booster capacity, and later like +30 to the capacity of every buyable consumable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

flatluigi posted:

Far Cry 4 was fine, 3 was horrible and 5 ranges from toothless satire to absolutely godawful. Nobody expected something groundbreaking, but they certainly wanted something tolerable. It really shows that they pulled in the fuckin Bioshock Infinite writer for 5.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean I haven't heard of anything as bad as "maybe the anti-racists are JUST AS BAD!" but it's early

I'm actually replaying Infinite right now, and I'm enjoying it. I remember that turn, but something I realized is that I don't think the intended message was "Anti-Racists are as bad as Racists" but the fact that, like Trump, everything Booker DeWitt touches becomes corrupt and awful. It really was supposed to help sell the twist reveal and ending, it was just not well done in doing so.

Hirsute posted:

I'm playing through the Metal Gear series for the first time (!), and it is goddamn hilarious when you save in the Tanker chapter in MGS2 and Otacon gives you a pithy quote like Mei Ling did in MGS1, but hasn't actually thought about why he's using the quote and totally fucks up his advice. Snake's reactions to it are great.

Oh my god, please keep us posted on your reactions. They're all great (for various values of great) but I love that MGS2 is a game that straight-up repeatedly trolls the player. MGS2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm actually replaying Infinite right now, and I'm enjoying it. I remember that turn, but something I realized is that I don't think the intended message was "Anti-Racists are as bad as Racists" but the fact that, like Trump, everything Booker DeWitt touches becomes corrupt and awful. It really was supposed to help sell the twist reveal and ending, it was just not well done in doing so.

The intended message was "extremism is bad no matter what the cause." It functionally became "anti-racists are just as bad as actual racists" because Ken Levine is an idiot and the intended message was trash to begin with.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite thing about Bioshock Infinite is that by the end of the game it was clear that none of the writers had ever really thought about what the word "infinite" means.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Amnesia is really really good at making you think you’re in great danger when you’re actually not

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
The Silent Hill games also did that rather well. Another thing is in Silent Hill 2, they made a linear game feel open world. I have to replay that game sometime because often times I would be playing, stop, and go how the hell did I get here? It was very dream-like quality.

Nude has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Mar 30, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite thing about Bioshock Infinite is that by the end of the game it was clear that none of the writers had ever really thought about what the word "infinite" means.

I liked the part where they designed a pretty decent FPS game for making short, interesting skirmishes with human-level enemies, and then squandered that in every way at every opportunity.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Cleretic posted:

It's basically the same way they hosed up the story of the first Watch_Dogs.
I'm pretty sure what hosed up the story of Watch_Dogs was that it was rewritten and rewritten so many times (possibly by multiple writers who didn't really agree on Aiden's characterization) that it ended up a jumbled mess.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Amnesia is really really good at making you think you’re in great danger when you’re actually not

This gets ruined when you figure out monster cue mechanics, but then it relies on Amnesia's existence as an adventure game with fantastic atmosphere outside of the monsters and it's like suddenly discovering a game hidden in a game that is just as beautifully crafted.

it's got its flaws but amnesia without monsters is a pseudo-Dear Esther with a pretty nice story and atmosphere.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

U.T. Raptor posted:

I'm pretty sure what hosed up the story of Watch_Dogs was that it was rewritten and rewritten so many times (possibly by multiple writers who didn't really agree on Aiden's characterization) that it ended up a jumbled mess.

I feel like it's two different ways to the same problem. FC5 it feels like didn't really have the courage to say anything, while W_D didn't have the direction to be able to say anything, either way you're getting a game with ideas but no follow-through.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd dispute this point. They managed to craft the first truly great, complicated, watertight time loop puzzle box plot in a triple-A video game, and they squandered it telling a story about how racism and resistance are really the same thing I mean uh whoops they were just acting lol.

I mean it's kind of not quite that bad because Booker is still the loving bad guy and is no-question the reason that the resistance became what it was, but that wasn't shown in the loving plot and it was mostly just hidden away in a side story and goddamn it Levine you had a good loving core about how no matter what side they're on white male hero bastards always gently caress things up how did you miss that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Somfin posted:

I'd dispute this point. They managed to craft the first truly great, complicated, watertight time loop puzzle box plot in a triple-A video game, and they squandered it telling a story about how racism and resistance are really the same thing I mean uh whoops they were just acting lol.

I mean it's kind of not quite that bad because Booker is still the loving bad guy and is no-question the reason that the resistance became what it was, but that wasn't shown in the loving plot and it was mostly just hidden away in a side story and goddamn it Levine you had a good loving core about how no matter what side they're on white male hero bastards always gently caress things up how did you miss that

You're not taking into account the fact that Bioshock Infinite is multiple disparate script drafts stapled together with "DIMENSION JUMPING" scrawled in the margin to make it semi-coherent.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ashsaber posted:

And there are amazing QoL deeds that get you +20 to booster capacity, and later like +30 to the capacity of every buyable consumable.

Oh yeah, I've been buying them all now - finally found the faster walking speed I've been searching for so now its just fun to zip around the map, and god I wish this showed up sooner.
I also have really been neglecting a lot of the "consumable" bonuses too. They are good.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Somfin posted:

Are you forgetting the ending which made no loving sense? “Time jump” or whatever? Universe jump? What the gently caress? I really, really liked the gameplay but the story is just.... nonexistent because it’s like a bag of garbage filled with an assortment of random literal crap garbage, some rotting, and a few pieces of fancy jewelry. Oh and also creepy poo poo about little girls, as usual, because Ken Levine is hosed up (remember the display of Emily’s first menstrual pad—why????)

E: since this is the positive thread, I really liked Washington/Lincoln/etc trying to mow me down with a big rear end, old timey, rotarized machine gun.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Mar 30, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Thin Privilege posted:

Are you forgetting the ending which made no loving sense? “Time jump” or whatever? Universe jump? What the gently caress? I really, really liked the gameplay but the story is just.... nonexistent because it’s like a bag of garbage filled with an assortment of random literal crap garbage, some rotting, and a few pieces of fancy jewelry. Oh and also creepy poo poo about little girls, as usual, because Ken Levine is hosed up (remember the display of Emily’s first menstrual pad—why????)

E: since this is the positive thread, I really liked Washington/Lincoln/etc trying to mow me down with a big rear end, old timey, rotarized machine gun.

The ending made sense: Booker DeWitt/Zachary Hale is a monster. In every timeline that followed from his baptism, his existence was a net negative for the world. Where he remained DeWitt, he lived a lovely dissolute life where he ended up selling his daughter for gambling debts. Where he became Hale, he wants to destroy the world because it doesn't meet his standards. In addition, killing the one Hale you do near the end of the game is literally meaningless, because there are countless more versions across the timelines ready to unleash Armageddon. The only way to prevent this was to go back to the point in time where Zachary Hale was "born" - the baptism - and prevent it by drowning DeWitt.

I really liked the symbolism of the intro with the raffle. You are literally offered the chance to cast the first stone to kill an interracial couple with baseballs (America's Pasttime!) No matter if you choose to participate or not, it doesn't happen.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

U.T. Raptor posted:

The best part about all the rewrites is that you get a weird gross incest vibe between Aiden and his sister, because she was originally supposed to be his wife.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm just glad his iconic cap survived the process, it was really the core of his character.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

haveblue posted:

I'm just glad his iconic cap survived the process, it was really the core of his character.

:golfclap:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Agents are GO! posted:

The ending made sense: Booker DeWitt/Zachary Hale is a monster. In every timeline that followed from his baptism, his existence was a net negative for the world. Where he remained DeWitt, he lived a lovely dissolute life where he ended up selling his daughter for gambling debts. Where he became Hale, he wants to destroy the world because it doesn't meet his standards. In addition, killing the one Hale you do near the end of the game is literally meaningless, because there are countless more versions across the timelines ready to unleash Armageddon. The only way to prevent this was to go back to the point in time where Zachary Hale was "born" - the baptism - and prevent it by drowning DeWitt.

I really liked the symbolism of the intro with the raffle. You are literally offered the chance to cast the first stone to kill an interracial couple with baseballs (America's Pasttime!) No matter if you choose to participate or not, it doesn't happen.

Yeah I didn't have too much of a problem either.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

because Ken Levine is hosed up (remember the display of Emily’s first menstrual pad—why????)

People keep bringing this up as some devastating criticism but it's actually super effective in showing how much Emily is exploited and fetishised. It's also exactly the kind of weird, disgusting relic that real life cults and religions tend to venerate and preserve.

The rest of the game was trashola, but that bit is good.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Agents are GO! posted:

I loved how dumb it was. "You want to go back in time to kill Hitler? Well, you're Hitler!"

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Speaking of Bioshock, I have lots of favourite things in Bioshock 2. One thing I like is that its best level, Fontaine Futuristics, is right near the end of the game and leads right into the finale, whereas Fort Frolic in the original is around the halfway mark and the levels that follow, of which there are several, cannot match up. I literally forgot all about the level where you get the parts for the Big Daddy suit until I was typing this post.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr Snofeld posted:

Speaking of Bioshock, I have lots of favourite things in Bioshock 2. One thing I like is that its best level, Fontaine Futuristics, is right near the end of the game and leads right into the finale, whereas Fort Frolic in the original is around the halfway mark and the levels that follow, of which there are several, cannot match up. I literally forgot all about the level where you get the parts for the Big Daddy suit until I was typing this post.

Continuing Bioshock 1 for several hours after the big twist is one of the biggest mistakes in game design history.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I liked Bioshock infinite when I was zooming around on high speed on the skyrail lines, shooting racists in the face while some George Washington robot was trying to machine gun me down. More games should let me play by zooming around at extremely high speeds.

I didn't like it when it tried to do anything else.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I loved how dumb it was. "You want to go back in time to kill Hitler? Well, you're Hitler!"

Considering that the first thing the game throws at you is your poo poo in a box labeled "7th Calvary Wounded Knee," though, it's not a huge surprise.

I don't know, I liked Infinite. But I also have had zero urge to play it a second time. :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

Considering that the first thing the game throws at you is your poo poo in a box labeled "7th Calvary Wounded Knee," though, it's not a huge surprise.

Fus Ro Dah, amirite, gamers?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's really funny to me how "no John, you ARE the demons" was supposed to be an obvious parody of bad last-minute plot twists yet so many video games even now still do this exact thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

I feel like it's two different ways to the same problem. FC5 it feels like didn't really have the courage to say anything, while W_D didn't have the direction to be able to say anything, either way you're getting a game with ideas but no follow-through.

The final product of Watchdogs 1 does have a (mostly) coherent throughline, the problem is that it's literally just "should angry white guy give up his obsessive quest for vengeance that's just making everything worse?" and has basically nothing at all to do with the cyberpunk magical hacker poo poo. It's also buried under a lot of conflicting nonsense where you can see the seams of the different rewrites and plot threads, so it's incredibly easy for brooding idiot Aiden Pearce to be loved and adored by the public, who isn't supposed to know who he is, but totally does, but doesn't, and it's also bad when this information is made public 85% of the way through the game.

Whole thing would've made more sense with T-Bone as the protagonist and Aiden's stuff as a DLC campaign.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Mar 30, 2018

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

"should angry white guy give up his obsessive quest for vengeance that's just making everything worse?"

Speaking of the God of War series, I really like its final twist - it wouldn't even matter if Kratos did, the world has been irrevocably hosed ever since the first game when you opened Pandora's Box.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Murdoch posted:

The final product of Watchdogs 1 does have a (mostly) coherent throughline, the problem is that it's literally just "should angry white guy give up his obsessive quest for vengeance that's just making everything worse?" and has basically nothing at all to do with the cyberpunk magical hacker poo poo. It's also buried under a lot of conflicting nonsense where you can see the seams of the different rewrites and plot threads, so it's incredibly easy for brooding idiot Aiden Pearce to be loved and adored by the public, who isn't supposed to know who he is, but totally does, but doesn't, and it's also bad when this information is made public 85% of the way through the game.

Whole thing would've made more sense with T-Bone as the protagonist and Aiden's stuff as a DLC campaign.

You're forgetting the time he goes to confront a man in prison who knows his identity by getting himself thrown in prison. Sure he edits his name with his magic phone, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't change the fact that multiple guards all know his face and name now.

Also I'm pretty sure his pseudonym of "The Fox" doesn't get mentioned up until he gets outed. He's just a random vigilante before then.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The completion list in the Yakuza games is a really good mechanic and its really nice to have both tangible rewards for Achievements and doing everything there is to do in the game besides a ping and an icon and to have a clearly defined list of what to do to get them with tracking of how far I am to there

Caufman
May 7, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

FC4 had the strongest themes, at least, and knew what it was saying. Having a sob story doesn't excuse you from being a monster, and being a revolutionary doesn't mean you're squeaky clean. Basic, basic stuff, but was entertainingly written.

Completely agree, except that Blood Dragon had even stronger, mark IV style themes.

Also FC4's background the PC is from an immigrant American family, returning to his ancestral home is a huge improvement over being a bro that lands on a foreign country.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always find it neat what terrible licensed games will rip off for their mechanics, and one really surprised me a few years ago - a terrible Action Man game on Gameboy called Action Man: Search for Base X. It surpised me because it seemed to be going for a sort of Metroidvania idea but waaaaaay limited. You needed to select which level you went to, and if you chose poorly you'd just get stuck as the game was super linear, but each level had 2 or 3 sub-objectives that required going down different paths, and each completed objective would give either a new outfit (like a scuba suit to take underwater tunnels), a new tool or clear a path that was previously too dangerous to traverse. The enemy placement was bullshit though and I had to abuse savestates pretty badly to get through it and the controls were a trainwreck.

It was trying to be interesting though, so I beat it because of that.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah, Bioshock: Infinite is widely disliked and I understand why, but I fully agree with this interpretation. It’s a pulpy sci-fi twist in a game series that thrives on those.

My favorite little thing about Infinite, though, is the costume work. An artist whose work I like worked on the costumes specifically of the Luteces and Elizabeth. She’s posted her concept art for both and it’s nice stuff.

The Luteces.

Elizabeth.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
I never disliked Pagan Min.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pagan Min was the same as Handsome Jack - boring and tired concept absolutely loving sold by the voice actor.

The stuff they're remembered for was also improv and not scripted, ha.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

poptart_fairy posted:

Pagan Min was the same as Handsome Jack - boring and tired concept absolutely loving sold by the voice actor.

The stuff they're remembered for was also improv and not scripted, ha.

I don't think there's a way to make that sort of character work without a stellar performance to sell it. Like, I literally cannot picture that character working in an actor-less medium.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean there's always the secret ending in FC4 which is pretty great. I think I heard they might have repeated the same trick in 5 which would make me sad if true

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Glagha posted:

I mean there's always the secret ending in FC4 which is pretty great. I think I heard they might have repeated the same trick in 5 which would make me sad if true

In the prologue when you first go to arrest the head of the cult, you can choose to not slap the cuffs on him. You just leave, with the sherrif commenting that you'll all be back and the game ends. Kind of lame compared to FC4 where the villain just lets you intern your mother's ashes, explains that your real dad was a murdering dick and he's always thought of you as his son, then going off together to shoot guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Dr Snofeld posted:

I had never really thought about that, it really is a stark difference from Bioshock 1. That level and the finale still remain one of my favorite video game sequences, with the best little thing being the description of the overpowered plasmid you're given near the end: It's Bring Your Daughter to Work Day!