Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh well poo poo I just used my last nickel crafting an orange tablet for nothing. I saw the same "insert tablet" message in the lava one that I saw at the other one and assumed I needed orange again. Thanks for saving me a huge amount of backtracking.
From the sound of things with neither purple or orange tablets working, you are contestant number 2,700 to have gone right past the lava castle's alien thermal plant, to the final base that needs the BLUE tablet (Two of them. You need to craft a second one ).

Because "Giant hole like the one that lead to the lava biome" near the place is much more notable than "No, no. Get OUT of your cyclops so you can go through a small door sea dragons are prone to spawncamp." You will need two purple tablets, if I recall right.

The thermal plant is the only fancy alien base you can never reach a position to see with your Cyclops. There used to be a straight up beacon signal you would be given, which would at least have clued you in that you drove right past it.

I'm getting another dejavu feeling.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well I'm probably just blind because I was in the Prawn at the time not the Cyclops. I'm not here with any sort of particular purpose. I assume that eventually radio signals would tell me to come here or something but I'm just here because I found a deep hole and I wanted to swim in it

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 30, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

Well I'm probably just blind because I was in the Prawn at the time not the Cuclops. I'm not here with any sort of particular purpose. I assume that eventually radio signals would tell me to come here or something but I'm just here because I found a deep hole and I wanted to swim in it
The entrance I use in particular is actually up a ways, so when I bring my Cyclops+Prawn I elevate higher than my normal cruising height to drop off my Prawn closer to the door. So while the Cyclops can't go inside, walking/grappling with the prawn actually makes it more likely for you to never know it's there unless you get lucky and happen to just be mountain climbing or get the perfect viewing angle.

TK-42-1 posted:

poo poo, even knowing beforehand that it was easy to blow past the lava castle and that it existed I still had to use the console and coordinates to find the thing. I spent a good 10-15m looking around only to realize that i was about 15 ft too low and couldnt see it over the ridge.

Even with the border of alien architecture intended to stand out, there is a reason you and countless other players have been going right past it for many months.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 30, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Falken posted:

Personally I think that if you get the QEP shut down before the Sunbeam arrives, they should reward you with the Sunbeam actually rescuing you.

Unfortunately for you, however they're actually space pirates and you get sold into slavery. THE END.

Nah. The sunbeam rescues you and you return to space. Unfortunately, you're still infected. And now everyone else is, too. You precipitate a biological catastrophe across interstellar space, destroying most of human civilization. The End.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Invictus posted:

Nah. The sunbeam rescues you and you return to space. Unfortunately, you're still infected. And now everyone else is, too. You precipitate a biological catastrophe across interstellar space, destroying most of human civilization. The End.

And that's how Natural Selection starts?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Absolute minimum path to end:

Get Blue Tablet found in Thermal plant. Craft one extra.
Access Sea Emperor and craft Enzymes. Get healed.
Disable Gun.
Get Rocket blueprint from Aurora after it explodes.
Make Cyclops to enable fabricator.
Leave on Rocket.

You can skip a good 75 percent of the game's content on a rerun. I never used a watertight locker or those air-pumps.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Really the biggest problem with the lava castle is that while the entryways do have those alien pillars bracing them - alien pillars that light up green when you come close enough, no less - the game struggles to actually render them. I kept circling around the room in my Cyclops, figuring there had to be another exit; and the size of the room meant every time I passed the lava castle, I didn't come in close enough for the game to actually render those pillars. I had to wiki the thing, realize that gently caress, the giant mountain I'd been circling around WAS the lava castle, and then when I dropped in to explore with my prawn the pillars materialized when I was like twenty feet away from them.

Fixing the goddamned popin and view distance would fix like 80% of Subnautica's problems.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I found the entrance based on the weird green light it gave off. The actual alien arches didn't render until I was nearly through them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Drake_263 posted:

Fixing the goddamned popin and view distance would fix like 80% of Subnautica's problems.
to do that they should first not have things remain indefinitely, I can't imagine that's good for performance when the acid shroom pile I left shortly after starting is still there, keeping track of all that must eat up a lot of resources and is probably why the save files get so colossal. Unless bases are in the chunks, they should just reset after like a week.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You can skip a good 75 percent of the game's content on a rerun. I never used a watertight locker or those air-pumps.

Seriously, what even is the point of these items? At first I figured I would need to run air pipes down to my seabase to get oxygen even if it was powered, but nope, everything is cool.

Am I correct in understanding that the only way to use air pipes is smashing your face up against them?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I used lockers back when I assumed a base made only of tubes would be pointless

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

f#a# posted:

Seriously, what even is the point of these items? At first I figured I would need to run air pipes down to my seabase to get oxygen even if it was powered, but nope, everything is cool.

Am I correct in understanding that the only way to use air pipes is smashing your face up against them?

I think they're mostly a remnant of earlier builds, back when crafting and tech acquisition was a lot more arduous and time-consuming.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

f#a# posted:

Yes.

Like a lot of items in the game, they're a specific solution to a minor problem that has more general-purpose workarounds. Why use a flashlight, air bladder, or pipes when you can just power through with a seaglide?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A lot of items are very useful at the beginning of the game until you get the larger air tank, or the seamoth or whatever else. Then they are useless and you can build a trashcan to get rid of them.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
god the prawn suit feels like poo poo

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So, uh, I took my Prawn into the sea emperor tank and when I got out I found that water no longer exists when I'm outside a vehicle. I just fall to the ground and run around and breathe like I'm on land. This persists even after reloading. Any ways to fix this?

Verviticus posted:

Agreed. With a grapple and upgraded jets it becomes decently tolerable to spider-man your way around caves, but the stutter stepping and the fact that the smallest little mushroom will bring it to a dead stop gets old fast. Especially after the glorious speed and freedom of the Seamoth.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly I think the progression would have been cleaner if the Seamoth and Prawn were swapped in difficulty to acquire and craft, and maximum depth. Just make the drill a handheld tool instead of a prawn attachment and you're done.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So, uh, I took my Prawn into the sea emperor tank and when I got out I found that water no longer exists when I'm outside a vehicle. I just fall to the ground and run around and breathe like I'm on land. This persists even after reloading. Any ways to fix this?

Entering and exiting a habitat is the traditional fix for that. Just plonk down a hobo tube and a hatch.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Drake_263 posted:

Entering and exiting a habitat is the traditional fix for that. Just plonk down a hobo tube and a hatch.

I was just able to fix it by going back to the tank and hopping out while still in the suit, which seems to reset the logic. I'll keep that in mind if it happens again, but that tank definitely does some weird stuff. Like, you can go through the warp gate in the Seamoth and drive around fine despite being nominally below the max depth... until you get near the surface of the tank, and then the game seems to go "oh poo poo, you're way too deep *crunch*."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I was looking for a video of the reaper to show a friend who only played a little of the game and fell off it(he thought stalkers were what I was talking about when I talked about the reaper) and found this, folks have differing opinions on LPers, but some of these reactions to their first reaper encounter are loving priceless. BrickyOrchid8 is just legit scared shitless and absolutely worth watching his bit(about 8:05 or so), so loving perfect for a first reaper encounter, he was all "oh, just a sandshark" and then :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OxsKP45nzI&hd=1

Verviticus posted:

Ehhh, it's my preferred method of transportation with grappling hooks. Yeah the sea moth is nice and all but the prawn's enhanced storage and ability to loving destroy leviathans(kill count: 3 reapers, 6 ghosts, 2 dragons) by grappling and shoving a drill in their eye is so cathartic. Also, I don't know if they respawn, none of the ones I killed have yet, anyways.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My life pod had about 8 floating lockers, until i figured out that even an hobo tube is a billion times superiour.

And i often swam by my floating pump with a long long trail of pipe leding about halfway down a short drop in the kelp forest. *At the time it was the only thing that gave me the confidence to head down near the bottom.

I would swim past it with my ulta tank that still had over a minute of air and think it cute.

Oh and night time discussion.
They really need to do something with that. At first i am sure i read that night time things became more aggressive. I think i spent the first 3 hours refusing to leave the lifepod or its top when night fell because i was scared.

Even after getting the seamoth i had the belief that even in the mushroom forest and stuff, that reapers would head in there at night. Which meant for a good 10 hours of playtime where i always made it home before dark.

Then i realised that night time just made things a different sort of pretty :/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Prawn is more supposed to be freedom in that you can now punch sea monsters til they go away rather than run away crying whenever they notice you, I figured, and it's clearly meant to go with the Cyclops.

Also interestingly found out that when walking on dry land, the Prawn automatically crouches when you exit it so you can still access the hatches.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 31, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can someone give me a hint on where to find Sea Crown? It's the only item on my shopping list I've never scanned

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Can someone give me a hint on where to find Sea Crown? It's the only item on my shopping list I've never scanned

Check around the containment tank.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Check around the containment tank.

I'm gonna be real fuckin disappointed if all the stuff I need was right there. I thought it was nice that after going to the deepest of the deep, it just gave you a laundry list of things from all over the world to collect. I was enjoying using the Seamoth again

e: okay it's not every plant at least, unless I'm blind

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 31, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's one not far from the Safe Shallows in a cave.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm gonna be real fuckin disappointed if all the stuff I need was right there. I thought it was nice that after going to the deepest of the deep, it just gave you a laundry list of things from all over the world to collect. I was enjoying using the Seamoth again

e: okay it's not every plant at least, unless I'm blind
every portal in the containment facility leads to a location that has one of the four non-sea-crown plants needed.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

At first i am sure i read that night time things became more aggressive. I think i spent the first 3 hours refusing to leave the lifepod or its top when night fell because i was scared.

This is the kind of thing that increases immersion and makes a playthrough more meaningful, i really wish the game wasn't too buggy to play hardcore and that there was a cheevo for doing so. i'd replay it then

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
re: saving the sunbeam: i've been told that in order to do it you need to turn the gun off before the countdown timer telling you when the sunbeam arrives even shows up; once the timer appears, the sunbeam's fate is already decided

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Captain Invictus posted:

lol I was looking for a video of the reaper to show a friend who only played a little of the game and fell off it(he thought stalkers were what I was talking about when I talked about the reaper) and found this, folks have differing opinions on LPers, but some of these reactions to their first reaper encounter are loving priceless. BrickyOrchid8 is just legit scared shitless and absolutely worth watching his bit(about 8:05 or so), so loving perfect for a first reaper encounter, he was all "oh, just a sandshark" and then :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OxsKP45nzI&hd=1

Ehhh, it's my preferred method of transportation with grappling hooks. Yeah the sea moth is nice and all but the prawn's enhanced storage and ability to loving destroy leviathans(kill count: 3 reapers, 6 ghosts, 2 dragons) by grappling and shoving a drill in their eye is so cathartic. Also, I don't know if they respawn, none of the ones I killed have yet, anyways.

Its unnerving how often the reaper blindsides players so often when its so loving big.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Apologies if it's been posted in here already, but after exhausting this game I'm more pumped than ever for Outer Wilds. Seems like a tighter, more polished Subnautica with the same "oh god exploration is terrifying" hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS2KB_cFrTo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

friendly 2 da void posted:

Apologies if it's been posted in here already, but after exhausting this game I'm more pumped than ever for Outer Wilds. Seems like a tighter, more polished Subnautica with the same "oh god exploration is terrifying" hook.

I love that we are in a survival/exploration game golden age. This seems like it might play similar to Empyrion, in that it is a survival game that takes place in an entire solar system.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

friendly 2 da void posted:

Alpha really mellowed out after murdering what was left of Rapture.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Finished the game. It was good

I considered farming up some lithium to leave in my time capsule, because I never had enough lithium but I had just spent the last leg of the game farming lithium for plasteel so I was tired of it

It was my own fault for making the decision to leave the Cyclops and Prawn down in the lava biome and use the Seamoth and my old seabase for aboveground stuff.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

Finished the game. It was good

I considered farming up some lithium to leave in my time capsule, because I never had enough lithium but I had just spent the last leg of the game farming lithium for plasteel so I was tired of it

It was my own fault for making the decision to leave the Cyclops and Prawn down in the lava biome and use the Seamoth and my old seabase for aboveground stuff.

I found a cave on one of the dry islands that was filled to the brim with nothing but lithium.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I found a cave on one of the dry islands that was filled to the brim with nothing but lithium.

gun island has a poo poo ton of lithium and diamond

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

President Ark posted:

re: saving the sunbeam: i've been told that in order to do it you need to turn the gun off before the countdown timer telling you when the sunbeam arrives even shows up; once the timer appears, the sunbeam's fate is already decided

It might be even harder than that, maybe when you get the first call, or even before that. The only guaranteed way to do it is to make sure you do not have a working radio until it is safe, which will give you the alternate dialog and skip the dialog that starts the countdown.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The jellyshroom cavern has lots and lots of large lithium and magnetite(?) deposits, as well as lots of gold if you need that too. Pillage that and you should have a locker and a half full of each.

Rutibex posted:

I love that we are in a survival/exploration game golden age. This seems like it might play similar to Empyrion, in that it is a survival game that takes place in an entire solar system.
yeah and if it ever comes out, terraria 2 might be an even better terraria, which is already one of my favorite pc games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydX8dISSwqc&hd=1

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wonder what a low% of subnautica would look like (defined as minimum blueprints acquired, I guess). Obviously the critical path includes the mobile vehicle bay, the Neptune, all of its component pieces, blue alien tablets, and the hatching enzyme. I think getting to the captain's quarters also requires the laser cutter. But is it theoretically possible to beat the game with just air tubes? If not, what's the minimum number of blueprints needed to reach the endgame sections?

e: well I'm watching the speedrun and apparently you can just drop a moonpool with 10 second of oxygen left, walk in, and then die with no consequences (presumably also possible with an I tube and hatch). The main obstacle to using hobo bases as your oxygen management was that the solar panel was the only default blueprint but I guess that doesn't matter

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Verviticus posted:

It owns and far outclasses every other way to get around in the game, actually.