Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

theflyingexecutive posted:

a truly awful episode of the daily had mikey barbs interviewing some chud farmer about his need for migrant labor and he was all “well they should maybe become some sort of citizen but only after they pick my almonds for several years at slave wages”

so naturally he voted for trump

economic
anxiety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
UK farmers voted overwhelmingly for brexit despite it being basically the same situation but with legal immigrants

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most farmers barely have any idea what they're doing, and certainly have zero grasp of the economics of it.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

That’s a big couch

for you

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Inescapable Duck posted:

Most farmers barely have any idea what they're doing, and certainly have zero grasp of the economics of it.

most "farmers" are billionaires

the agricultural workers at those farms haven't owned them for a long time and are mostly immigrants

the myth of the single-family farm just toiling away from the cities is long long dead

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

single family farms haven't been sustainable in the west for decades

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

it'd be funny to sit down with a bunch of strict constitutionalists and ask them to explain what's in the constitution and

No browns in America, it's like in the first sentence.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

TontoCorazon posted:

No browns in America, it's like in the first sentence.

i once had a constitutionalist tell me that the bill of rights only applied to citizens
when i read him the language, which always refers to the rights of a "person", etc, he said that in the constitution, only citizens count as people

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i once had a constitutionalist tell me that the bill of rights only applied to citizens
when i read him the language, which always refers to the rights of a "person", etc, he said that in the constitution, only citizens count as people

You must be pretty well-connected to be able to have such a debate with Judge Thomas

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I've heard this from a number of people, it always sounded pretty fake.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
literally the argument the bush administration tried to use to justify torture

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the agricultural workers at those farms haven't owned them for a long time and are mostly immigrants

the myth of the single-family farm just toiling away from the cities is long long dead

(Multi)Millionaires. There aren't that many billionaires in the us, only a few hundred.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

literally the argument the bush administration tried to use to justify torture

what an amazing coincidence-- that was the topic that led to our constitutional discussion

thing is, even bush didn't try to do cruel+unusual on US soil. they argued that constitutional protections didn't hold in guantanamo and various prisons in friendly middle eastern dictatorships. but i asked constitution bro if anything was keeping the feds from black vanning a random foreign national on a vacation in america. he said only if we had a treaty with his country not to do that to each other's citizens

the weirdest thing about claiming that people = citizen in the constitution is that the constitution also uses the word citizen in various places. it's not like the word hadn't been invented yet. they wrote "person", they meant "person" (i mean, they really meant white person, but that's still not the same as meaning citizen)

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

what an amazing coincidence-- that was the topic that led to our constitutional discussion

thing is, even bush didn't try to do cruel+unusual on US soil. they argued that constitutional protections didn't hold in guantanamo and various prisons in friendly middle eastern dictatorships. but i asked constitution bro if anything was keeping the feds from black vanning a random foreign national on a vacation in america. he said only if we had a treaty with his country not to do that to each other's citizens

the weirdest thing about claiming that people = citizen in the constitution is that the constitution also uses the word citizen in various places. it's not like the word hadn't been invented yet. they wrote "person", they meant "person" (i mean, they really meant white person, but that's still not the same as meaning citizen)

I feel that it's kinda missing the spirit of the constitution to go "oh, torture is unconstitutional...which is why it's fine so long as we don't do it within our borders."

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Kit Walker posted:

I feel that it's kinda missing the spirit of the constitution to go "oh, torture is unconstitutional...which is why it's fine so long as we don't do it within our borders."

Rules lawyering war crimes for fun and profit.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Skyscraper posted:

I've heard this from a number of people, it always sounded pretty fake.

Yeah persons are persons, and even absent the plain meaning of "person," that's a stupid argument to make because reciprocity on respect of the rights of foreign nationals supercedes our constitution, per its express submission to treaties.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Kit Walker posted:

asking a strict constitutionalist to honor the spirit of the constitution is equivalent to asking a biblical literalist to honor the historical and cultural context of the bible

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Potato Salad posted:

Yeah persons are persons, and even absent the plain meaning of "person," that's a stupid argument to make because reciprocity on respect of the rights of foreign nationals supercedes our constitution, per its express submission to treaties.

for torture maybe, but treaties don't cover everything. for example, if 1st amendment religious freedom only applied to people from countries with reciprocal religious freedom, trump's "muslim ban" would have been harder to contest

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I took the thread subject to momentarily be detention and torture.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

In the interest of using an expedient legal vessel, the travel ban has been contested as an undue burden on the rights of state citizens (lol) where counterargument based on the federal national security justification for the ban has no standing per clear and plain religious animus, but the ban could be argued on the establishment clause alone if desired.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

whydirt posted:

Most farmers today are just rural capitalists, not single family salt of the earth

They're both, because successful farmers end up owning more land which snowballs. They're also likely to own a significant chunk of the nearest town, so they're rentiers as well. A single-family farm that has existed for multiple generations is often essentially landed gentry.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Former DILF posted:

idaho is an agricultural pearl on the necklace that is americas farming sector and it is ruled by two families: the simplots and the albertsons

There are a bunch of sub-fiefdoms though, each town has three or four families who own it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

This is less true out West. California is one water baron dude growing everything, but places like Idaho and Washington state have family farms.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the farm districts are deep red because of votes from the rural middle class, who are not millionaires and whose livelihoods directly or indirectly depend on the local agricultural industry. those ppl are dumbfucks

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Relevant Tangent posted:

They're both, because successful farmers end up owning more land which snowballs. They're also likely to own a significant chunk of the nearest town, so they're rentiers as well. A single-family farm that has existed for multiple generations is often essentially landed gentry.

Family farms exist today in the hundreds of thousands. They are just much larger and automated more and significantly larger in acres.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
As someone who has spent a couple decades over the years in the plains states where most crop farming is corn and soybeans, some of these views about farming seem pretty laughable. Especially the “no family farms” idea. It’s all family farms, but they’re huge. From people I’ve known, <1000 acres of corn/beans is a pretty much a part-time job, both time-wise and often income-wise.

Other areas/crops may be different.

Oops guess I was a little slow.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm a city boy who doesn't know jackshit about farming, but all of the farmers that I know are family farmers. Around me they mostly raise livestock and hate the poo poo out of wolves.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I grew up on a small apple farm in an area packed with lots of other small fruit farms, so the idea of the family farm is definitely not totally dead. Fruit's probably a pretty niche case though, tending/harvesting/growing new orchards is way different in both technology/labor required and business strategy from growing staple crops. The fruits where I'm from basically have to be picked by manual labor so it's not like wheat or corn or whatever where one rear end in a top hat with a million dollar robot can cultivate 50 trillion square miles all on his own and get rich off it.

Small farmers are still idiots though, almost everyone I know from back home is a Trump voter so lol

Crazycryodude has issued a correction as of 05:55 on Mar 31, 2018

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Technically Rosseau Farms here in Phoenix (yes, Phoenix, they grow water intensive crops like assholes) is a family farm. They also are multimillionaries and own the Salt River Project that controls both electric power generation and a good portion of water.

They should be guillotined.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Do...do assholes require more water than other crops?

I could see maybe manure...

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

rear end in a top hat carrots, rear end in a top hat lettuce, rear end in a top hat alfalfa. All of that requires WAY more water than the regular, already water-intensive varieties.

Meanwhile the family farms on the rez grow ancestral drought-resistant crops that they sell to health nuts for $$$ because they are smart.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Eh, my uncle is a single family farmer who owns his own land, but uh, come to think of it he also owns a combine harvester or two and those are like a quarter million dollars a pop so I'm pretty sure he's rich. In assets at least.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mantis42 posted:

Eh, my uncle is a single family farmer who owns his own land, but uh, come to think of it he also owns a combine harvester or two and those are like a quarter million dollars a pop so I'm pretty sure he's rich. In assets at least.

A while back John Deere hired away Rolls-Royce's big customer experience guy because they realized that every farmer who came in to buy a combine was dropping enough cash to buy any two luxury autos. IDK what changed afterwards, but that sounded like a solid hire to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mantis42 posted:

In my experience on marginal farmland in Australia, people own multiple combine harvesters because when one breaks, it's way, way cheaper to just buy a new one and use the old one for parts than to get the old one fixed.

And don't think someone in modern America (or elsewhere) is rich in assets when they could be drowning in debt.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You can find a lot of interesting info on the matter from the US Dept of Agriculture ag census, I've been digging through it some for work and it's actually really neat stuff.

https://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Publications/2012/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mantis42 posted:

That combine is almost certainly on credit

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

As someone who has spent a couple decades over the years in the plains states where most crop farming is corn and soybeans, some of these views about farming seem pretty laughable. Especially the “no family farms” idea. It’s all family farms, but they’re huge. From people I’ve known, <1000 acres of corn/beans is a pretty much a part-time job, both time-wise and often income-wise.

Other areas/crops may be different.

Oops guess I was a little slow.

It’s this.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
here’s a p good article about the billionaires that own california’s central valley, where all the fruits and vegetables come from

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

suggestion: instead of eating their produce, we just eat them personally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here’s a p good article about the billionaires that own california’s central valley, where all the fruits and vegetables come from

Sight unseen I'm picturing endless clones of the incestuous rapist from Chinatown.