Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

HIJK posted:

a summary of every play podcast ever: *action and talk is interrupted by 5 minute stretches of fwipfwipfwipfwipfwipfwip as the GM looks something up in the book and the players start messing with their phones to distract themselves*

I was listening to an actual play podcast with iffy audio levels so I turned the sound up. They were going through a horror campaign and the scariest part was a dog barking into the microphone at deafening volume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

OK this is going to sound like a crazy request but here we are. One episode of Retronauts the crew played Zork (https://retronauts.com/article/564/exploring-zork-with-special-guest-jeff-green) and I freaking loved it. Are there any decent podcast that do an "interactive fiction" where one person reads the text adventure game and one/two (or more?) try to play the game?

Basically is there an audio only "Let's Play Text Adventure Games"?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nude posted:

Seconding this would love a podcast that goes in depth on game design in general.

Modifier does this. I think there's also another podcast on the One Shot network that does this as well.

Also, the Pathfinder Academy appropriately enough, covers the rules of Pathfinder, which may or may not be what you're people are looking for. I actually enjoy the podcast even though I no longer play Pathfinder very often.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

OK this is going to sound like a crazy request but here we are. One episode of Retronauts the crew played Zork (https://retronauts.com/article/564/exploring-zork-with-special-guest-jeff-green) and I freaking loved it. Are there any decent podcast that do an "interactive fiction" where one person reads the text adventure game and one/two (or more?) try to play the game?

Gary Butterfield, one of the guys behind watch out for fireballs and bonfireside chat, does a stream called Choose Your Illusion every week. he plays through assorted CYOAs, with the gimmick that it's permadeath: If he reaches an ending, the book's over, and onto the next one.
There's a youtube archive as well
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9QK7buty4An8H1zTRt0m2NYfyVR9izLb
https://www.twitch.tv/duckfeedtv the stream's every friday at 6

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Make one, I’d listen

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Rick posted:

Modifier does this. I think there's also another podcast on the One Shot network that does this as well.

Also, the Pathfinder Academy appropriately enough, covers the rules of Pathfinder, which may or may not be what you're people are looking for. I actually enjoy the podcast even though I no longer play Pathfinder very often.

Yeah, there's another rules review show on One Shot Network. It's System Mastery. Plus they're goons. I think their names are Grnegsnspm and me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

theironjef posted:

Yeah, there's another rules review show on One Shot Network. It's System Mastery. Plus they're goons. I think their names are Grnegsnspm and me.

I think there actually is or was an additional "how to design games" show on the network too, lol, because I was not talking about yours, I think James had one as well (which is actually how I found your show because of an interview about heartbreakers). But this was an oversight on my part because System Mastery is definitely great and deconstructs both good and bad games in a funny way, and if anything the bad games teach more about what makes a game good.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Rick posted:

I think there actually is or was an additional "how to design games" show on the network too, lol, because I was not talking about yours, I think James had one as well (which is actually how I found your show because of an interview about heartbreakers). But this was an oversight on my part because System Mastery is definitely great and deconstructs both good and bad games in a funny way, and if anything the bad games teach more about what makes a game good.

Oh yeah, we did that episode on heartbreakers with James way back in the day. It was called like Critical Success or something. Back when the weird Peaches & Hot Sauce name was a thing.

That was a weird interview. He had literally just heard our show for the first time and also heard the term heartbreaker for the first time and figured with what we do we'd probably know all about it. We didn't, and just read that article where the guy introduces the term and went from there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I had no idea what the term meant either so host and audience were on the same page.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

theironjef posted:

Rick posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys, gonna check these out :toot:.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

sexpig by night posted:

so are there any good simspons podcasts not run by The Comic Book Guy? Tried Worst Episode Ever and fell off it a while ago (though I've heard it sucks less now?) and Talking Simspons just bored me.
Sorry for the late reply, but I'd try Everything's Coming Up Simpsons (formerly Everything's Coming Up Podcast). Each episode has a guest that picks one Simpsons episode that they discuss at good length. The hosts engage in a little too much L.A.-wankery for my liking sometimes, but they've had some great guests that are actual Simpsons alumni like Nancy Cartwright and Josh Weinstein.

I'd recommend the Sam Levine episode where they discuss Radioactive Man, if you want an example of how good it can get.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Is there a last podcast on the left thread or general cave comedy network thread?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Can anyone recommend any podcasts with a decent panel format? The fplus has completely ruined the standard "two guys talking back and forth at each other with occasional guests" for me forever.

Bonus round: At least one female regular, or multiple female non-regulars.

Super bonus round: Female podcast members not talked over constantly by male podcast members.

e: should probably specify that by panel I just mean that it has a bunch of people per show with at least some interaction between them, not the british panel show format.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 8, 2018

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I find this so frustrating. I stopped listening to how did this get made because the woman who was the funniest person on the show constantly got interrupted and shouted over by the men to say something less interesting than what she was in the middle of.

War on the rocks is an all woman national security panel discussion if that interests you.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

evilpicard posted:

I find this so frustrating. I stopped listening to how did this get made because the woman who was the funniest person on the show constantly got interrupted and shouted over by the men to say something less interesting than what she was in the middle of.

War on the rocks is an all woman national security panel discussion if that interests you.

Jason Mantzoukas sucks.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only panel podcast I listen to is Chapo Trap House, and they do have a lady host who isn't talked over, but she's the only one with a real job so she's not on every episode :(

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Splicer posted:

Can anyone recommend any podcasts with a decent panel format? The fplus has completely ruined the standard "two guys talking back and forth at each other with occasional guests" for me forever.

Bonus round: At least one female regular, or multiple female non-regulars.

Super bonus round: Female podcast members not talked over constantly by male podcast members.

e: should probably specify that by panel I just mean that it has a bunch of people per show with at least some interaction between them, not the british panel show format.

Friends Like Us. A round table of women comedians in the comedy scene. They talk about current events but also have great banter. It's a good f-plus like show I would say, although different subject matter.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I want to listen to video game podcasts that are funny and not about tabletop gaming. Also I don’t want to have to pay money to listen. Do they exist?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Shnooks posted:

I want to listen to video game podcasts that are funny and not about tabletop gaming. Also I don’t want to have to pay money to listen. Do they exist?

I'm a big fan of the stuff on the https://duckfeed.tv network.
Watch Out for Fireballs is a long-form book-club but for games, with plenty of humor and a lighter tone than you're probably worrying about. If you aren't enjoying the intro sketch they do in the old episodes, skip until the jingle, they can be pretty labored.
Abject Suffering is the same guys doing a more explicit comedy thing. It's ostensibly a bad games review but it turns into a more general chat most of the time since there's only so much you can say about snes mascot platformers. There's some reccomended starting points listed that are great because if you don't know the hosts you might not care about the derail subject.

there's a bunch of other shows on the network. Everything's pretty good although some are more niche or have a strange sense of humour (I love Teenage Dirtbags but I found it confusing to start) So I'd see how the flagship shows go before diving deeper.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 10, 2018

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

The Incomparable Game Show has done a few episodes of "Action Castle" where they play Parsely games, which are essentially old-school text adventures, but with a human GM playing the role of the parser/computer. Since it's multiplayer without collaboration, there is a fair bit of the episode where people are essentially fighting back and forth (or dealing with the one player who just doesn't get it or care).

I'd also put forth the main Incomparable feed as a decent panel show (it's about pop culture, generally of the geeky kind). Probably more of the people on it are middle-aged white guys than not, but there are enough women involved that there's usually at least one on the panel.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

The only panel podcast I listen to is Chapo Trap House, and they do have a lady host who isn't talked over, but she's the only one with a real job so she's not on every episode :(

There's a new frost/christman!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Why do so many listener-supported podcasters seem to go out of their way to live in places like the Bay area, NYC, Portland, etc. that have huge cost of living expenses and then constantly grovel about struggling to make ends meet? I get why people who already work in careers in fields like television or stand-up that have are heavily focused on those areas and do podcasting as a side gig live there, and why shows that rely heavily on celebrity interviews are centered somewhere where a lot of celebrities live and work, but if it's just you and your internet buddies jawing about pop culture over Skype you could do that literally anywhere with zero difference on the end product. Well, zero negative difference; spending slightly less time humblebragging about how you haven't owned a car in years because you live in a trendy urban locale as you cry about not being able to afford rent or dentist visits in your ad breaks would be a net improvement for some shows.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Guy Mann posted:

if it's just you and your internet buddies jawing about pop culture over Skype you could do that literally anywhere with zero difference on the end product.

So if you do a podcast where you chat with buddies you should move somewhere cheaper to avoid ads?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Guy Mann posted:

Why do so many listener-supported podcasters seem to go out of their way to live in places like the Bay area, NYC, Portland, etc. that have huge cost of living expenses and then constantly grovel about struggling to make ends meet? I get why people who already work in careers in fields like television or stand-up that have are heavily focused on those areas and do podcasting as a side gig live there, and why shows that rely heavily on celebrity interviews are centered somewhere where a lot of celebrities live and work, but if it's just you and your internet buddies jawing about pop culture over Skype you could do that literally anywhere with zero difference on the end product. Well, zero negative difference; spending slightly less time humblebragging about how you haven't owned a car in years because you live in a trendy urban locale as you cry about not being able to afford rent or dentist visits in your ad breaks would be a net improvement for some shows.

If you can get a bunch of rubes to pay for your lifestyle by working 4 hours a week. Why not?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Guy Mann posted:

Why do so many listener-supported podcasters seem to go out of their way to live in places like the Bay area, NYC, Portland, etc. that have huge cost of living expenses and then constantly grovel about struggling to make ends meet?
A lot of them have/had aspirations of making it in traditional media. They probably tried there first before trying an alternative route.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I think the better question is why won't guy mann shut the gently caress up

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

mrfart posted:

A lot of them have/had aspirations of making it in traditional media. They probably tried there first before trying an alternative route.

I guess that makes sense, but it must make it that much more soul-crushing to see someone like the McElroys living comfortably as home owners in cheap cheap West Virginia on top of successfully working in traditional media like journalism and theater.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

I guess that makes sense, but it must make it that much more soul-crushing to see someone like the McElroys living comfortably as home owners in cheap cheap West Virginia on top of successfully working in traditional media like journalism and theater.

A 2,000 sq ft, 4 bedroom house can be had where I live in MN for under $100k with small houses starting around $25k. There was a place in Michigan that was literally giving houses away to artists if they move there. Legit surprised more podcasters and other artists don't move out to flyover country.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Guy Mann posted:

Not really? There are pros and cons of living in West Virginia versus NYC, just like any other place.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I know he had a following around here for years. Art Bell has passed to that great desert in the sky.

http://news3lv.com/news/local/radio-host-art-bell-dies-at-72-in-pahrump-home

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

I know he had a following around here for years. Art Bell has passed to that great desert in the sky.

http://news3lv.com/news/local/radio-host-art-bell-dies-at-72-in-pahrump-home

Aw, that's a bummer. Godspeed you crazy weirdo.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Azathoth posted:

A 2,000 sq ft, 4 bedroom house can be had where I live in MN for under $100k with small houses starting around $25k. There was a place in Michigan that was literally giving houses away to artists if they move there. Legit surprised more podcasters and other artists don't move out to flyover country.

They're too snobby for flyover country, people move to expensive places so they can have bragging rights and lord it over The Gross Poors. Scratch a podcaster and you'll find an elitist.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Azathoth posted:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Doug Stanhope bought a compound and moved out to the boonies somewhere cheap.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

They have a hard time feeling like part of the zeitgeist if they don't live in one of those places.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm extremely into this conspiracy theory of 'the people doing podcasts actively choose to live in some of america's most populous cities with tons of resources for artists to encourage people at a young age out of a disdain for the proles' getting blended with the classic libertarian 'if at any time you have any problems with your city you need to pack up and move to dirtfuck nowhere because that's a thing everyone can do because it's cheap right'

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Speaking as a podcaster living in expensive-rear end San Diego, I can affirm that most of the folks I know don't make the initial call to be a "professional podcaster" before their show exists anyway. I was working at a Trader Joes when I started reviewing RPG books as a hobby, and it took five years to get to the point where the show pays my rent, and we were exceedingly lucky, most shows die on the vine instead. Trying to explain to my girlfriend and the other guy on my show that we were moving to Mudwump, MN so our regulation Patreon-begging wouldn't ring false back when we were getting started would not have worked very well. Even now the cash we make, while enough to pay rent and bills, wouldn't pay to move us somewhere and buy a house from scratch. And we have a life here. Kids and family and everything. I'm supposed to move all them somewhere unrealistic for us so that people feel good about throwing us a buck for bonus content? That argument is the "welfare queens" of excuses to not support the shows you like.

Plus not everyone records with their two brothers and lucked into Polygon gigs early on, so following the McElroys isn't a realistic career progression.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Not to mention one brother lived in LA and one lives in Austin so it’s not exactly like they’re all moral examples holed up in a West Virginia apartment.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

theironjef posted:

Speaking as a podcaster living in expensive-rear end San Diego, I can affirm that most of the folks I know don't make the initial call to be a "professional podcaster" before their show exists anyway. I was working at a Trader Joes when I started reviewing RPG books as a hobby, and it took five years to get to the point where the show pays my rent, and we were exceedingly lucky, most shows die on the vine instead. Trying to explain to my girlfriend and the other guy on my show that we were moving to Mudwump, MN so our regulation Patreon-begging wouldn't ring false back when we were getting started would not have worked very well. Even now the cash we make, while enough to pay rent and bills, wouldn't pay to move us somewhere and buy a house from scratch. And we have a life here. Kids and family and everything. I'm supposed to move all them somewhere unrealistic for us so that people feel good about throwing us a buck for bonus content? That argument is the "welfare queens" of excuses to not support the shows you like.

Plus not everyone records with their two brothers and lucked into Polygon gigs early on, so following the McElroys isn't a realistic career progression.
Yeah for patreons etc. there is a "welfare queens" aspect. Otherwise, most of the time that advice lands somewhere on the "hey I'm in inexpensive bumfuck" self-congratulation<->resentment spectrum or it's "hey urban so-called-poor here's a solution for ya" from thick libertarian economists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Anyone got any good recommendations for US politics podcasts? The Daily isn't quite long enough for me but still enjoy it.