Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

mcvey posted:

New online pro record.

4 aces. 32 kills in the first half.

Please tell me they somehow lost that. Also that shouldn't be nearly that close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Push El Burrito posted:

Please tell me they somehow lost that. Also that shouldn't be nearly that close.

OpTic still lost the series 1-2.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

symbolic posted:

OpTic still lost the series 1-2.

Team too heavy sometimes.

Edit: You guys wanna see how to ace in silver?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCi0UCKaOKI

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 26, 2018

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Do people at the global elite rank actually memorize all the different positions, angles, and movement speeds required to land a nade at every spot you when you search YouTube for nade spot videos?

Some of them seem useful, like smoking mid doors from T or the corner after long doors from T, so you can't be awped by CT, but some of them seemed weird, like two different ways to flash around the corner coming from CT spawn to the car on A long... Like why would I bounce a flash off the ground and around the corner or off a wall and around the corner when I could just throw it? Does that prevent the enemy from seeing it before it flashes? Are the top competitive players remembering all these?

I want to get really good and I'm not sure if carefully memorizing every nade spot on every map I play is actually going to give me an edge vs just noticing other players do the more useful ones as I play more.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

oliveoil posted:

Do people at the global elite rank actually memorize all the different positions, angles, and movement speeds required to land a nade at every spot you when you search YouTube for nade spot videos?

Some of them seem useful, like smoking mid doors from T or the corner after long doors from T, so you can't be awped by CT, but some of them seemed weird, like two different ways to flash around the corner coming from CT spawn to the car on A long... Like why would I bounce a flash off the ground and around the corner or off a wall and around the corner when I could just throw it? Does that prevent the enemy from seeing it before it flashes? Are the top competitive players remembering all these?

I want to get really good and I'm not sure if carefully memorizing every nade spot on every map I play is actually going to give me an edge vs just noticing other players do the more useful ones as I play more.

Autistically learning nade placement for all maps will inevitably give you a boost over other players, but it's less important than your on-the-fly usage by miles, and basically insignificant in relation to your fundamental play.

Set smokes that involve learning weird angles and such are extremely relevant in top-tier play, as are pop-flashes, double nade spots, incendiary positions and so on. Top players will know every single one of the most standard ones, of which there are dozens upon dozens. Globals will know a varying amount from more than most pros to almost none, generally depending on how they like to learn and most importantly whether they play in a team.

Since nearly all set nades are designed to be used in combination with other players and their nades, they just aren't that useful in Solo Q. The bigger the stack you play with, the more beneficial learning the nades will be. Smoking CT spawn on Mirage on your own is nearly pointless, smoking off every spot with your teammates is an actual execute. However, imagine trying to wrangle 5 individuals on MM to go to the same site and throw the correct smokes correctly. Even at that level, getting everybody going to the same site is a big win, getting people who know every individual A Mirage smoke (some of the most common in the game) is a small miracle. Also in EU, sometimes your teammates don't even speak English soooo yeah.

Still, it can only help your play because it gives you more options to think about in the moment which is never bad. I highly recommend searching self pop flashes because they are evergreen useful on both CT and T, at any rank, and as Solo Q or a stack. Stuff like the right click throw at B appts on Mirage.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

oliveoil posted:

Learning proper nade usage is very helpful on the road to becoming very good, but it's unrealistic to expect to properly learn and consistently throw every single one of them. Consider that most top level players play within a team structure and are generally only expected to know their set smokes for the various executes that the team has agreed on, they don't have to remember several dozen potential pixel smokes on each active duty map- whatever smokes they know outside of the team's system is just an added bonus.

If you're generally just solo queuing and you want to maximize your team of rando's potential to win, it's probably a good idea to focus on the most basic smokes- stuff on the level of smoking off ct on B cache, connector on train, ct from banana on inferno- things you can do alone that will actually have an impact. Sites like http://sothatwemaybefree.com/ are really useful resources for seeing what you might need for the maps you choose to play on.

But I would also say that if you're new to the game and playing alone, you'll initially be far better served by practicing your aim, sprays and learning your angles. At some point you'll plateau hard in those areas, and you'll then have all the time in the world to learn how to line up that perfect eu smoke for top connector on mirage to give you the slight edge that might matter when you're at the level of everyone generally headshotting you immediately and all the drat time

At higher levels, people might start expecting you to know stuff like the basic A execute on mirage that Jeza mentions above, but even at global there's really no guarantee that you'll get a team that knows smokes, or anything at all

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Grenades should have an element of randomess so you can't throw perfect smokes across the map because you watched a youtube video tbh hth

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

drunken officeparty posted:

Grenades should have an element of randomess so you can't throw perfect smokes across the map because you watched a youtube video tbh hth

Everything you say is wrong every single time you say it

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
What this game needs is MORE RNG

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I would love to throw a smoke and find out when I peeked that it landed in a different spot than I expected and now my team is dead.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I can only imagine how whimsical watching your demos must be.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

symbolic posted:

I can only imagine how whimsical watching your demos must be.

I'm terrible at the game.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Nice. I guess I'll learn just a handful of smokes for my favorite maps and focus on improving in other ways first. Thanks, guys!

Also, I noticed my friend is using some pink crosshairs. And then I remembered that the person who got vacbanned was the person who told them to replace their crosshairs, and in wondering: is that allowed or is my friend at risk of getting banned for changing them? Seems like it would have to be a modification of the game, which might not be allowed.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oliveoil posted:

Nice. I guess I'll learn just a handful of smokes for my favorite maps and focus on improving in other ways first. Thanks, guys!

Also, I noticed my friend is using some pink crosshairs. And then I remembered that the person who got vacbanned was the person who told them to replace their crosshairs, and in wondering: is that allowed or is my friend at risk of getting banned for changing them? Seems like it would have to be a modification of the game, which might not be allowed.

Anything that can be done with in-game commands won't get you banned.

And, yeah, learn some handy smokes and flashes but also get a feel for how smokes and flashes move in general so you can toss them where you think they should go.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There are a few single smokes you can learn that enable you to call plays which in solo q are going to make winning a round like 50x easier. Same with some pop flashes. Once the awpers aren't garbage, good luck getting anywhere without nades.

TBH not learning smokes is hugely limiting and yeah anyone at a respectable rank knows a bunch of smokes or flashes.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Go practice crosshair placement. Until you're at least DMG you should literally only be worrying about that. Like I wouldn't even buy nades until you are DMG.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Who ever hosed with the ngev is a straight up piece of poo poo. If you're reading this guy who decided the ngev needed to sound like a wet fart and shoot like poo poo you need to go to the god drat range and shoot a gently caress m249 you loving bitch. gently caress you.

In other news silver 2 feels so loving good. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better the global elite imo. Too stressfull up there in the gold ranks.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

that, but unironically

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
Whoa

– CS:GO items received in trade cannot be re-traded for seven days

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

RedQueen posted:

Whoa

– CS:GO items received in trade cannot be re-traded for seven days

That has to be a move to kill gambling / skin trading sites, right?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctwbhhRP0J8

CZ is fair and balanced, also take a look at my new knife thanks to the new trade ban all the csgo trading sites have hosed up pricing.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Photex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctwbhhRP0J8

CZ is fair and balanced, also take a look at my new knife thanks to the new trade ban all the csgo trading sites have hosed up pricing.

Nice move to peek mid instead of immediately grabbing the dropped gun. Solid 1v5 A++++ would watch again.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

:razz:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/neLendirekt/status/979664576290738177

:psypop:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
C9 get owned, SK improves theoretically. Liquid I dunno. Bit better? Steel wasn't flourishing for sure.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

-stewie2k

it's getting real, i'd imagine all the other roster changes will happen either tonight or tomorrow.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
c9 finally has a winning roster, time to torpedo it hardcore like a bunch of idiots

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm hoping for -boltz +get_right.

I just really want to see fer, get_right, and stewie on the same team.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

SealHammer posted:

c9 finally has a winning roster, time to torpedo it hardcore like a bunch of idiots

Seriously, they have a 2 month stretch of subpar results following them giving us NA's first major win over multiple top 5 opponents, why blow it up so fast? VP goes through whole bad years before changing the roster!

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice kindly folk and whatnots.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Audax posted:

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice kindly folk and whatnots.

Until we get all hosed up on hockey and Molson

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

mcvey posted:

Until we get all hosed up on hockey and Molson

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Icymi sadokist said the n word on a stream in addition to telling someone to kill themselves

Guess which esports historian is on Twitter defending it? Heh

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
Who's Icymi?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Thom and the Heads posted:

Icymi sadokist said the n word on a stream in addition to telling someone to kill themselves

Guess which esports historian is on Twitter defending it? Heh

In defense of him telling the guy to kill himself, it was more "oh that guy? I really hope he loving dies" because it's a guy who leaked he has like herpes or something and threatened to doxx sado + anyone who tried to call him out for leaking that. So I totally understand wishing bad things on that guy.

But still yeah sado dropping the hard r and thorin defending him is a series of events I don't find surprising one bit

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Rest in peace

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

for real tho, don_haci should probably neck themselves.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
But is herpes treatable

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Technically herpes is a woman folk disease I'm sure sado was seduced by the succubi #jesusholdthewheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Luna Was Here posted:

In defense of him telling the guy to kill himself, it was more "oh that guy? I really hope he loving dies" because it's a guy who leaked he has like herpes

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, herpes, a thing that like 75% of the population picks up while they're in like kindergarden, the incredible shame

gently caress sadokist