Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The HD remaster fixed a lot of off-model moments, apparently.

It says a lot about Hirai's style that the off-model moments were the best-looking ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

The HD remaster fixed a lot of off-model moments, apparently.

It says a lot about Hirai's style that the off-model moments were the best-looking ones.

Yeah. HD is way more on model. It's just that on-model Hirai *loving sucks*

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Was Gundam Breaker series always a dating sim, because they're showing off "Six heroines you can fall for" and the protag is your generic "hair replaces eyes" type.

Not from what I've played. 3 has no model for the protagonist at all, the story is a barely there excuse to justify plot battles and you can skip it without missing anything.

There are barely even characters beyond your friend the girl who loves gunpla(who is kinda jealous the protag can go super saiyan and she can't???), an SD Gundam robot they put on your team as a mascot, the parade of disposable rivals who 'don't have the soul of Gunpla' and the creepy 30+ year old woman who looks 10 and pops up in every loving cutscene.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 30, 2018

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

They redesigned the characters for the HD remaster and they all look like they have down syndrome.

I could have sworn their eyes were never that far apart before.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zore posted:

Not from what I've played. 3 has no model for the protagonist at all, the story is a barely there excuse to justify plot battles and you can skip it without missing anything.

There are barely even characters beyond your friend the girl who loves gunpla(who is kinda jealous the protag can go super saiyan and she can't???), an SD Gundam robot they put on your team as a mascot, the parade of disposable rivals who 'don't have the soul of Gunpla' and the creepy 30+ year old woman who looks 10 and pops up in every loving cutscene.

Gundam Breaker 2 had a ludicrous plot about you playing a game within a video game except all the game-within-a-game characters were actually real and you were helping them fight a war except you were actually just a gunpla fairy all along and when they pop open your cockpit after the big climactic final battle there's nothing there and they're like "WHAT". There was no dating involved, but the plot ruled.

I'm pretty sure New Gundam Breaker is them bowing to industry pressure and tacking to the Fire Emblem winds because adding a waifu minigame to any already competent product instantly boosts your sales count significantly, for better or for worse.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kanos posted:

Gundam Breaker 2 had a ludicrous plot about you playing a game within a video game except all the game-within-a-game characters were actually real and you were helping them fight a war except you were actually just a gunpla fairy all along and when they pop open your cockpit after the big climactic final battle there's nothing there and they're like "WHAT". There was no dating involved, but the plot ruled.

I'm pretty sure New Gundam Breaker is them bowing to industry pressure and tacking to the Fire Emblem winds because adding a waifu minigame to any already competent product instantly boosts your sales count significantly, for better or for worse.

Oh man that Gundam Breaker 2 plot sounds like it rules. Did it get a Singapore English translation like 3? I've been having fun building dumb Gundams with a ton of lasers mounted on Guntank treads the last week or so.

Doing Kung Fu as a giant robot with tank treads is incredibly my poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zore posted:

Oh man that Gundam Breaker 2 plot sounds like it rules. Did it get a Singapore English translation like 3? I've been having fun building dumb Gundams with a ton of lasers mounted on Guntank treads the last week or so.

Sadly GB2 never got an English release.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnfPtCrSj28 Here's a cutscene digest if you're bored and got some time to kill. Highlights include multiple mobile suits using the Dendrobium as a rocket sled to get into space, Wing Gundam Jesus Take The Wheel, and the protagonist's(your) mobile suit headbutting the Devil Gundam.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I could have sworn their eyes were never that far apart before.

Everyone having fetal alcohol syndrome would explain Destiny.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I want to know where you guys found the info that NGB is a dating sim because I can't find anything like that searching the game and the only character art I can find is the main heroine and the four rival dude characters. It extremely sounds like you mixed up a different game trailer for this one.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

also 3's story is really good why would you tell anyone to skip it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The GIG posted:

I want to know where you guys found the info that NGB is a dating sim because I can't find anything like that searching the game and the only character art I can find is the main heroine and the four rival dude characters. It extremely sounds like you mixed up a different game trailer for this one.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/27/new-gundam-breaker-introduces-six-heroines-can-fall/

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I better be able to unlock dating the dude rivals then.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Man, I was so disappointed to read that none of the potential love interests was secretly a GUNDAM.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

okay, i'm 1000% sold. have to decide between shy girl or handsome girl now though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anyone else notice that 5/6 of them have the same face with only minor alterations?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AtheistMantis posted:

Man, I was so disappointed to read that none of the potential love interests was secretly a GUNDAM.

would you really want to date setsuna tho

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

would you really want to date setsuna tho

I mean, let’s be real here, you’d just end up dismembered and dumped in a field while he moves on to the next one to catch his eye.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AtheistMantis posted:

If it's a secret they won't tell you in the promo. :roboluv:

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

How are Thunderbolt, War in the Pocket, and MS Igloo? I’ve never seen them and am thinking of watching all the UC stuff in chronological order.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nemesis_hub posted:

How are Thunderbolt, War in the Pocket, and MS Igloo? I’ve never seen them and am thinking of watching all the UC stuff in chronological order.

In order:

Stylish and brutal, but a little empty feeling

Arguably the best Gundam has ever been, focused on the personal lives of the characters over mecha action

Dogshit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Thunderbolt is amazing.

War In The Pocket is something I think everybody but me loves. I don't know, I find it irritating to watch, but chances are you'll like it because so many people tend to like it.

What's IGLOO? There's no such thing. Don't make up UC series.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Thunderbolt is great. Definitely watch it. The others I can’t say anything about, though I’ll be watching war in the pocket this week I think.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EVGA Longoria posted:

Thunderbolt is great. Definitely watch it. The others I can’t say anything about, though I’ll be watching war in the pocket this week I think.

You know, I didn't love Thunderbolt, but I think I can agree with the definitely watch it. It may have gone so over the top with grit that it got a bit ridiculous in part 1, but it's still entertaining and if it sounds like you might like it, you probably will.

Even if it sucks, you're out, what, an hour?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, the films are the only way to watch Thunderbolt. The OVAs are just previews of the finished product.

I feel like this comes up so often that it should be in the OP at this point.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Also while December Sky wraps up very neatly as a single product, don't expect the same from Bandit Flower as it's just part one of a longer thing and moves at a slightly different pace. I think I would have enjoyed Bandit Flower more if I knew that going in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
December Sky approaches it's disgust for warfare from the opposite end of the spectrum as war in the Pocket. If War in the Pocket is about good people forced into tragic circumstances by the all consuming price of war, Thunderbolt is about utter contempt for those who revel in war and how even good people will succumb to bloodlust given enough time. I do like the ova ending better than the film ending though. The extended a baoa qu sequence doesn't do much except tease Bandit Flower and it takes away from December Sky's strengths as a standalone viewing experience.

Also the FA-78 versus the Psyco Zaku is probably one of the best fight scenes in the entire franchise.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 2, 2018

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah Thunderbolt rules

For some reason the scene that sticks out to me is when the lady scientist starts feeling bad and the head scientist flips out and literally goes frothing mad screaming propaganda about the fatherland in her face

Bandit Flower nearly turned me off completely when the lady scientist calls Daryl "Daddy" and it's not clear whether that's her kink

edit: the Zaku POV is also incredible, it only lasts a few seconds but I've never seen a better visual representation of how loving terrifying it must be to fight against a Gundam

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 2, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As someone who never grew up with Gundam, Thunderbolt is my favorite poo poo ever. It has a desperate brutality for it's emotional core and is wrapped in an absolutely ridiculous soundtrack that on paper absolutely should not work, but when you see it, is absolutely terrifying and never lets you get comfortable with the action ripping apart on screen. The Full Armor and Psycho Zaku are fantastic monstrosities, and the poo poo they allude to the Psycho Zaku being recovered and turned into a mass mind-control device is so wild I'm shocked nobody's ever thought of it before.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Bandit Flower nearly turned me off completely when the lady scientist calls Daryl "Daddy" and it's not clear whether that's her kink

pretty sure she regressed to a child mentally and daryl's just taking care of her now

tho I never finished the ova's or watched the movie

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Oh yeah they made that clear later but they took their sweet time and the suspense is brutal

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish Bandit Flower didn't feel so directionless. By throwing a third party into the usual Federation/Zeon beatdowns, something got borked along the way and Bandit Flower feels more like a collection of disjointed sequences than a cohesive whole. So the Atlas Gundam comes and saves the ship from a Zeon remnant attack, and then they get told they're going after the South Seas Alliance. Except instead of that happening they have another fight with more Zeon remnants, which trashes the Atlas and puts Io out of commission for most of the series until the SSA finally decides to engage the Feds in the last episode.

Meanwhile Daryl is off on happy AcGuy adventures and actually driving the plot forward. The Federation taskforce seems incidental to the proceedings despite getting equal screentime.
And you can tell they slashed the budget on Season 2. Barring Unicorn, December Sky is the best looking Gundam show by far, but season 2 turned into keyframed hell at points.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm the minority who thinks that besides some good fight choreography and animation, part 1 of thunderbolt is loving trash. Nothing about the series appeals to me.

War in the pocket is a masterpiece.

Igloo is even worse than thunderbolt.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Monaghan posted:

I'm the minority who thinks that besides some good fight choreography and animation, part 1 of thunderbolt is loving trash. Nothing about the series appeals to me.

:same:

I wouldn't call it trash, but I do think it's petty, mean, ugly and nihilistic, and those aren't things that appeal to me any more at my age. I wouldn't bother watching Thunderbolt unless you just want to watch a bunch of people suffering and dying for no reason.

The soundtrack is pretty good so give that a listen separately, though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 2, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Igloo's the one where we follow the Zeon War Crimes division and the show tries to make them really sympathetic while they create horrific weapons of mass destruction to use on civilians right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wish Bandit Flower didn't feel so directionless. By throwing a third party into the usual Federation/Zeon beatdowns, something got borked along the way and Bandit Flower feels more like a collection of disjointed sequences than a cohesive whole. So the Atlas Gundam comes and saves the ship from a Zeon remnant attack, and then they get told they're going after the South Seas Alliance. Except instead of that happening they have another fight with more Zeon remnants, which trashes the Atlas and puts Io out of commission for most of the series until the SSA finally decides to engage the Feds in the last episode.

Meanwhile Daryl is off on happy AcGuy adventures and actually driving the plot forward. The Federation taskforce seems incidental to the proceedings despite getting equal screentime.
And you can tell they slashed the budget on Season 2. Barring Unicorn, December Sky is the best looking Gundam show by far, but season 2 turned into keyframed hell at points.

The Zeon remnants the Spartan fought had been subverted by and were working for the SSA. They didn’t come out of nowhere - they were the nation’s first line of defence.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

A typical igloo episode is zeons wunderwaffen division making heroic last stands that accomplish nothing while sad music plays. Also child soldiers in low budget Balls

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I enjoy watching Thunderbolt specifically because it is mean spirited and petty. It's the doomed fighting the damned and nobody walks away looking good. It has something to say about warfare being ugly, unfair and unjustifiable. You have characters like Karla or Cornelius trying to find peaceful solutions but they get undercut by others who don't know better or don't care, because winning and revenge are more important to them than morality. It's humanity at its worst, and I think that's appropriate for a show set during the One Year War.

But at the same time there is a small sense of hope that someone can turn back from hatred with Daryl's final rejection of the Psyco Zaku. Io was lost to violence the days Moore was trashed, but there is still hope for Daryl to break away from it. It's a show that revels in punishing it's characters but then tells the audience they're scum for enjoying the violence on display. 0080 is about saying "these deaths are a tragedy". Thunderbolt says "war makes corpses of us all."

Darth Walrus posted:

The Zeon remnants the Spartan fought had been subverted by and were working for the SSA. They didn’t come out of nowhere - they were the nation’s first line of defence.
I wasn't aware of that. Maybe it's clearer on a second viewing but I must have missed that on my first watch.

Because I assumed the aquatic mobile armor that got crushed by high pressure was part of Daryl's group of remnants, seeing as they were operating from a giant submarine base.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 2, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I enjoy watching Thunderbolt specifically because it is mean spirited and petty. It's the doomed fighting the damned and nobody walks away looking good. It has something to say about warfare being ugly, unfair and unjustifiable. You have characters like Karla or Cornelius trying to find peaceful solutions but they get undercut by others who don't know better or don't care, because winning and revenge are more important to them than morality. It's humanity at its worst, and I think that's appropriate for a show set during the One Year War.

But at the same time there is a small sense of hope that someone can turn back from hatred with Daryl's final rejection of the Psyco Zaku. Io was lost to violence the days Moore was trashed, but there is still hope for Daryl to break away from it. It's a show that revels in punishing it's characters but then tells the audience they're scum for enjoying the violence on display. 0080 is about saying "these deaths are a tragedy". Thunderbolt says "war makes corpses of us all."

I wasn't aware of that. Maybe it's clearer on a second viewing but I must have missed that on my first watch.

Because I assumed the aquatic mobile armor that got crushed by high pressure was part of Daryl's group of remnants, seeing as they were operating from a giant submarine base.

They were operating from a Mad Angler-class submarine, the underwater equivalent of a Pegasus or Zanzibar. Darryl’s crew were based in rather grander digs - a submerged Dolos, one of Gihren’s supercarriers. Several of the group who attacked the Spartan, including the commander, had SSA tats and prayed to SSA shrines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Zore posted:

Igloo's the one where we follow the Zeon War Crimes division and the show tries to make them really sympathetic while they create horrific weapons of mass destruction to use on civilians right?

They don't use it against civilians but they really go out of their way to show how glorious the zeon are. Every single feddie soldier is a bloodthirsty psychopath. Also the god drat series ends with the SS stand in heroically sacrificing himself to sad music and the main guy monologuing to himself while the zeon flag waves in the background.

Zeon wank is used way too much in the gundam fandom, but igloo is the one series that unquestionably deserves that criticism.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I wouldn't call it trash, but I do think it's petty, mean, ugly and nihilistic, and those aren't things that appeal to me any more at my age. I wouldn't bother watching Thunderbolt unless you just want to watch a bunch of people suffering and dying for no reason.

You're right in that me calling it trash is taking it kinda far, but I cannot believe the amount of praise that thunderbolt gets. That goes towards my hyperbolic reaction.