Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Real talk, my advice would be to architect this so a Windows Server 2016 machine controls the block level filesystem of your Veeam backup repositories. I use MS's software iscsi initiators to storage appliance targets.

I've found that Win2016's dedupe and compression is more aware of the underlying filesystem of what's being backed up. This saves, in my environment, an additional 15% on my car insurance final on-prem tier beyond Veeam's own dedupe and compression.

I think this is what I'll probably do. I don't think I can do SMB share without reconfiguring some poo poo because we already have the iscsi on the core 10gig SFP switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Hey kiwid if you decide to try and delete the snapshot instead of writing off the entire VM and deploying a new one then please keep us updated with the progress. Maybe we can start a pool for how long it will take?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Potato Salad posted:

Real talk, my advice would be to architect this so a Windows Server 2016 machine controls the block level filesystem of your Veeam backup repositories. I use MS's software iscsi initiators to storage appliance targets.

I've found that Win2016's dedupe and compression is more aware of the underlying filesystem of what's being backed up. This saves, in my environment, an additional 15% on my car insurance final on-prem tier beyond Veeam's own dedupe and compression.

Veeams dedupe scheme is a bit poo poo and will only dedupe blocks against the data in the same backup job, so there's a lot of additional savings to be realized. Array-level dedupe is another possibility if you running if off storage with some kind of intelligence instead of just a SCSI array.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Veeams dedupe scheme is a bit poo poo and will only dedupe blocks against the data in the same backup job

Yeah I've noticed this as well. I don't support prod servers anymore so I've just got my lab to draw from though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Veeams dedupe scheme is a bit poo poo and will only dedupe blocks against the data in the same backup job, so there's a lot of additional savings to be realized. Array-level dedupe is another possibility if you running if off storage with some kind of intelligence instead of just a SCSI array.

Yaaaaaaaaaaarp. To be fair, it's inline dedupe, what can you do without a time machine :shrug: Bearing in mind Veeam is an SMB product, I can see the usefulness of making sure that each job's files are self-consistent without needing files from other jobs. Whatever; I have to add a tag to vms in chef to describe which job they should be backed up on

I'm....not aware of a turnkey storage appliance with dedupe and compression on Windows fs as good as Windows 2016's native tools. Seriously, if you haven't had opportunity to benchmark it, try it out.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 21, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Like, my next in-shop san is probably going to be a few (relatively) cheap, self-servicable S2D nodes.

My 2016 repo takes next-to-max-compressed-by-veeam backups and chews them down further

IDK where the universe is getting it's due

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 21, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is a DataDomain not still a good option for a Veeam repo or is that platform dining out on past success and an HP NAS running Server 2016 is easily as good with the advantage of being dirt cheap

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

Is a DataDomain not still a good option for a Veeam repo or is that platform dining out on past success and an HP NAS running Server 2016 is easily as good with the advantage of being dirt cheap

I forget, you're at an MSP, right?

In my opinion, anything more intricate and expensive than a Dell Powervault with 10GbE and iSCSI is a waste of features and thus money/licensing.

(I don't do HP server hardware; I don't like leaving customers in a bind where they can't get critical patches because service inevitably lapsed)

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 21, 2018

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Potato Salad posted:

I'm....not aware of a turnkey storage appliance with dedupe and compression on Windows fs as good as Windows 2016's native tools. Seriously, if you haven't had opportunity to benchmark it, try it out.

Quantum has some secondary storage appliances that do a very good job of this, and do it inline.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

cheese-cube posted:

Hey kiwid if you decide to try and delete the snapshot instead of writing off the entire VM and deploying a new one then please keep us updated with the progress. Maybe we can start a pool for how long it will take?

It only took 5 hours to complete, surprisingly. We do have 10gig though. Writing off the VM crossed my mind.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Potato Salad posted:

Yaaaaaaaaaaarp. To be fair, it's inline dedupe, what can you do without a time machine :shrug: Bearing in mind Veeam is an SMB product, I can see the usefulness of making sure that each job's files are self-consistent without needing files from other jobs. Whatever; I have to add a tag to vms in chef to describe which job they should be backed up on

If you're willing to throw away turnkey, RapidRecovery.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Speaking of Veaam...new job I'm at, one of the Sr. SysAdmins got shown the door when it was discovered we hadn't had a working backup in months within Veeam.

Also the dude had policies to keep 999 incremental backups in a single job of 700 VMs...and then was confused when we ran out of storage.

Dude was constantly hand massaging backup jobs to get them to complete in time, and had all the alerting going to himself.

Like, I get dealing with cantankerous systems and such, but to not tell your boss of the difficulties you're having is retarded.

First time I've ever seen anyone get fired due to sheer incompetence.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Did he have any actual business case for holding on to that much historical data, or was he just doing 999 incrementals because it felt cool?

Hate when people make up requirements out of fart air.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

Did he have any actual business case for holding on to that much historical data, or was he just doing 999 incrementals because it felt cool?

Hate when people make up requirements out of fart air.

Sometimes they ask for guidance and are told to just figure it out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

If you're a Senior sysadmin and you can't figure out how to make Veeam work correctly and/or figure out how to make sane choices with regards to how many backups to keep, you do not deserve your job.

I would look like a loving rockstar compared to that guy.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

MF_James posted:

If you're a Senior sysadmin and you can't figure out how to make Veeam work correctly and/or figure out how to make sane choices with regards to how many backups to keep, you do not deserve your job.

I would look like a loving rockstar compared to that guy.

:lol: That red-text does you no favours, especially when you make posts like that.

Edit: just remembered how you got it, you sure chose a lovely hill to die.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

cheese-cube posted:

:lol: That red-text does you no favours, especially when you make posts like that.

Edit: just remembered how you got it, you sure chose a lovely hill to die.

Oh man you sure showed me, so you spent :10bux: to give me text? If you think it's some scarlet letter you're an idiot, someone got so butthurt (you) on the internet that they spent :10bux: to prove their rightness during an internet discussion.

Also, AV has nothing to do with the discussion, but you do realize that some of us are forced to utilize AV due to regulatory bullshit. Honestly, I barely remember the argument other than me asking about AV on the wire, though it's highly possible I said dumb poo poo, but at least I didn't spend like 60 bux to prove I'm right to a bunch of internet people.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

No I didn't buy it for you and I don't know who did (But you did deserve it). I was just pointing out how it accentuates your terrible posts. "I would look like a loving rockstar compared to that guy" who loving says that unironically? "That guy" isn't even posting here what are you trying to prove? Maybe settle down before you jump into threads and shoot your mouth off.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
speaking of veeam can we please restore this thread to an earlier state

MF_James
May 8, 2008

cheese-cube posted:

No I didn't buy it for you and I don't know who did (But you did deserve it). I was just pointing out how it accentuates your terrible posts. "I would look like a loving rockstar compared to that guy" who loving says that unironically? "That guy" isn't even posting here what are you trying to prove? Maybe settle down before you jump into threads and shoot your mouth off.

Sorry forums police, I will monitor my shitposting per your requirements.

I think you should step back, chill out and maybe take the 10' pole out of your rear end, but please continue to shoot your mouth off, it's your right for paying to be on this forum.

I will drop this now for the sake of everyone else ITT.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Ok children, play nicely.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

H2SO4 posted:

speaking of veeam can we please restore this thread to an earlier state

Somebody ran the thread off a snapshot for three years, so please bear with us

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Speaking of unwanted purchases, did we ever figure out who bought all these loving anime avatars anyway? Best theory I heard was DAF / CF's parachute account. If ever there was someone with more money than sense, it's that dude.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’m a rockstar compared to pretty much all of you except the weird mod that posts here.

E:oh poo poo. I thought this was the IT thread. Nevermind. Y’all are pretty cool.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Okay, who was the genius who wasn't using change block tracking on this thread?

This is why we can't have nice things a thousand restore points

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've got an amateur VM question. I was thinking about setting up a Ubuntu VM to do things like online bill paying. I'm using Oracle VirtualBox because it's " free as in 'it's for me' ".

I've used VirtualBox intermittently in the past, but this is first time I'm coming across the whole "Intel Virtualization Technology necessary to use 64 bit OS" issue mentioned in the OP. In my Googling, some responses were talking about possible security issues in doing this, but others say it's not that big a deal. I probably don't actually need the 64 bit version for simple web surfing, but now I'm curious about the question.

Is this fear legit? Overblown? Or is it something that a normal enthusiast can't do anything about anyway?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Turning on vtx isn't a big deal. The guy in Reddit talking about hypervisor escape is making a mountain out of a known (and patched) molehill.

The real red flag is Virtualbox. It works, but it's bad dated. It doesn't teach you a useful hypervisor technology.

If you have Windows 10, you have Hyper-V built in. That's going to do more for you and has a brighter future, in my opinion.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-virtual-machine-windows-10-hyper-v/

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 31, 2018

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Turning on vtx isn't a big deal. The guy in Reddit talking about hypervisor escape is making a mountain out of a known (and patched) molehill.

The real red flag is Virtualbox. It works, but it's bad dated. It doesn't teach you a useful hypervisor technology.

If you have Windows 10, you have Hyper-V built in. That's going to do more for you and has a brighter future, in my opinion.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-virtual-machine-windows-10-hyper-v/

I still have Windows 7 but this is all coming to mind because I want to reformat this 7-year-old PC. I was hoping to save money and not be annoyed by all the spy poo poo live services in Windows 10. I'm not in IT but I am in the tech sector, so you're probably right that being able to say I've used Hyper V would be better than VirtualBox. I guess $200 isn't that much for a multiyear investment, especially since I am either doing it now or in 2 years time, and it will last many years.

I guess the choice is between useful skills and a few extra bux. Thank you very much for the advice.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Magnetic North posted:

I still have Windows 7 but this is all coming to mind because I want to reformat this 7-year-old PC. I was hoping to save money and not be annoyed by all the spy poo poo live services in Windows 10. I'm not in IT but I am in the tech sector, so you're probably right that being able to say I've used Hyper V would be better than VirtualBox. I guess $200 isn't that much for a multiyear investment, especially since I am either doing it now or in 2 years time, and it will last many years.

I guess the choice is between useful skills and a few extra bux. Thank you very much for the advice.

What exactly are you planning to do with those $200? Because buying a full price Win 10 license isn't necessary.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Saukkis posted:

What exactly are you planning to do with those $200? Because buying a full price Win 10 license isn't necessary.

Care to describe the alternative you're alluding to? All I did was google "Win 10 price" and saw Pro was $199.99.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Well if you just want a VM host, Hyper-V core is free.

But if you just want a VM host for Linux guests you should probably just use kvm/virt-manager.

If you're still hoping to use the VM host as a windows workstation you should be able to find non-shady Win10 keys for less than that, and questionable keys for way less than that.

You said you're in tech, you can't get a volume license key from work? Learning hyper-v is a decent skill if you work in a windows shop, a cool boss would see that as a good return on the cost of a single license.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Magnetic North posted:

Care to describe the alternative you're alluding to? All I did was google "Win 10 price" and saw Pro was $199.99.

96 Port Hub posted:

Well if you just want a VM host, Hyper-V core is free.

But if you just want a VM host for Linux guests you should probably just use kvm/virt-manager.

If you're still hoping to use the VM host as a windows workstation you should be able to find non-shady Win10 keys for less than that, and questionable keys for way less than that.

You said you're in tech, you can't get a volume license key from work? Learning hyper-v is a decent skill if you work in a windows shop, a cool boss would see that as a good return on the cost of a single license.

If he has Windows 7 which he says he has, the Windows 7 key will work fine for activating Windows 10. Microsoft said they were going to stop the free Win 7/8 -> 10 upgrades on 12/31/17, but it's still working from what I hear. They'll give you the flavor (Home vs Pro) as you have on Windows 7, so if you have Windows 7 Home you'll need to upgrade to Pro to use Hyper-V. Might be more cost efficient to just buy one of the Win 7 Pro codes BrownThunder is selling in SA-Mart for $25. I've bought two for setting up some Win 10 VMs and they've worked fine (though I did it before 12/31).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Getting off topic but where do these cheap rear end software keys come from? There’s several subreddits devoted to their sale, too, and they seem to be perfectly valid yet are priced like 75% off or even less.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There used to be keys that people got for refurbishing a PC, some of the really cheap ones are just MAK keys sold to multiple people.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Docjowles posted:

Getting off topic but where do these cheap rear end software keys come from? There’s several subreddits devoted to their sale, too, and they seem to be perfectly valid yet are priced like 75% off or even less.

In theory, I have about 4 Win7/8/10 pro keys from UEFI that I'm literally never going to use, because I have Linux or BSD on those systems. I'd sell them for :10bux:

I'd guess there are a lot of shops in the same position -- paid the MS tax, aren't gonna use it because reasons

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

96 Port Hub posted:

I appreciate the suggestion but I doubt they'd go for it.

fordan posted:

Might be more cost efficient to just buy one of the Win 7 Pro codes BrownThunder is selling in SA-Mart for $25. I've bought two for setting up some Win 10 VMs and they've worked fine (though I did it before 12/31).

I don't normally paypal or venmo or whatever the kids are doing these days , but maybe I'll have to figure something out because that is a much more palatable cost.

Anyway, sorry for the OS detrail.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

fordan posted:

If he has Windows 7 which he says he has, the Windows 7 key will work fine for activating Windows 10. Microsoft said they were going to stop the free Win 7/8 -> 10 upgrades on 12/31/17, but it's still working from what I hear. They'll give you the flavor (Home vs Pro) as you have on Windows 7, so if you have Windows 7 Home you'll need to upgrade to Pro to use Hyper-V. Might be more cost efficient to just buy one of the Win 7 Pro codes BrownThunder is selling in SA-Mart for $25. I've bought two for setting up some Win 10 VMs and they've worked fine (though I did it before 12/31).

Not that that’s not a good deal and all, but you can buy Windows 10 Professional keys on eBay for less than $5. I just bought one last night, and another one for a VM about a month ago. Last night’s I paid $4.34 after the conversion fee from GBP to USD. I don’t remember if it was this thread or the Windows 10 thread who told me to do that route.

Docjowles posted:

Here’s how I understand it:

1. The subreddits with people who sell keys for $20+ are most likely random university students who are selling their extra DreamSpark (or equivalent) keys, which is most certainly “against the rules.” I have nothing to back this claim up other than the terribleness and relative “youngness” of reddit being full of people who think $1 for an app is way too much man.

2. The sellers on eBay selling keys for $5 are acting as “OEM”s and sellingtransferring actual OEM keys harvested from old laptops and whatnot. Apparently this is 100% fine and legal to do in the EU by court ruling, despite what Microsoft says.

So just search on eBay for “Windows 10 Professional,” and pick a seller with 100+ reviews, “instant delivery,” and also located in the EU/UK. You can do guest checkout without making a PayPal or eBay account.

e: It was the Windows 10 thread.

Me: It sounds too good to be true. Where do they come from and what’s stopping them from remotely deactivating my key?

quote:

Generally it technically is, these are usually OEM keys harvested from discarded machines and are officially not allowed to be uses on any other hardware.

Geemer posted:

They can't because the EU doesn't buy into their scam of OEM keys being tied to specific hardware.

e2: Just don’t this for actual business use.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 1, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Be careful about key abuse. You are legally on the hook if someone sells you a whoopsie-did-I-give-10,000-people-the-same-mak-key or worse, like a dev key.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Potato Salad posted:

Be careful about key abuse. You are legally on the hook if someone sells you a whoopsie-did-I-give-10,000-people-the-same-mak-key or worse, like a dev key.

But "on the hook" doesn't mean anything other than getting your key yanked right? It would be a bad look for MS to aggressively go after someone who bought a key on eBay under the impression that everything was legit. I certainly wouldn't use these keys for a business or anywhere you might get audited, but the worst case scenario for home use doesn't seem like it would amount to anything. MS has surprised me before though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:thermidor: