Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Subjunctive posted:

I have a downspout problem. The piping to the French drain in the back yard comes out of the ground at about a 45 degree angle. It's flexible plastic, but it put a fair bit of lateral pressure on the downspout (which was not screwed to the one above it, helpfully) and it came off.

I'm trying to decide between two strategies:

1) bend the tubing to vertical and strap it to the wall, then run the downspout vertically into it

2) strap the tubing to the wall where it naturally goes, then jog the downspout over

I have a preference for 1 mostly because there isn't a lot of space to work. The houses are about 30" apart, and there's a fence between them. I could likely get access to the neighbour's side, but it would be geometrically awkward.

I vote 1 though not sure if you mean literally bending the existing pipe or adding a 45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

socketwrencher posted:

I vote 1 though not sure if you mean literally bending the existing pipe or adding a 45.

Oh, I’m an idiot. It’s actually relatively-flexible plastic tubing, and was curved to vertical before (putting pressure on the downspout). Thank you for your reply!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Update on the dryer saga. Running the dryer without hooking up to the wall, burner stays lit. Hooked up to wall, burner ticks off and at the end of the cycle you get the check filter light.

Definitely a clog in the vent but the ladder I have can't get me on the roof or in the Attic safely. I can hear the brush banging against something 12 feet in, cannot feed more in without the rods twisting, and now am getting small amounts of wet lint out, but nothing sustainatial.

Next step, get a ladder? I feel really overwhelmed because I'm not getting anywhere and I don't have a ton of cash laying around for a handyman or whatever to fix this poo poo.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

melon cat posted:

How much weight can a typical kitchen cabinet hold? Asking because we're replacing our lovely Broan under cabinet range hood with a much better KitchenAid one, but the KitchenAid one is much heavier at 44 pounds. Here's our existing cabinetry (which I reinforced with additional plywood, as suggested by some smart dudes earlier in this thread).

I was hoping someone was going to respond to this because a 44 pound range hood is something I've never come across in the wild. I have seen old and heavy fully stocked cabs held up with a couple of drywall screws so I'm guessing you'd be fine as long as the particle board or whatever the cab is made of is in sound condition and your screws are hitting studs.

Wasabi the J posted:

Update on the dryer saga. Running the dryer without hooking up to the wall, burner stays lit. Hooked up to wall, burner ticks off and at the end of the cycle you get the check filter light.

Definitely a clog in the vent but the ladder I have can't get me on the roof or in the Attic safely. I can hear the brush banging against something 12 feet in, cannot feed more in without the rods twisting, and now am getting small amounts of wet lint out, but nothing sustainatial.

Next step, get a ladder? I feel really overwhelmed because I'm not getting anywhere and I don't have a ton of cash laying around for a handyman or whatever to fix this poo poo.

Got a 25' plumbing snake or one you could borrow? It's good to have one around so it's not like it would be wasted money if it didn't work.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

socketwrencher posted:

I was hoping someone was going to respond to this because a 44 pound range hood is something I've never come across in the wild. I have seen old and heavy fully stocked cabs held up with a couple of drywall screws so I'm guessing you'd be fine as long as the particle board or whatever the cab is made of is in sound condition and your screws are hitting studs.

Got a 25' plumbing snake or one you could borrow? It's good to have one around so it's not like it would be wasted money if it didn't work.

Haha tried the plumbing snake but the fucker zooms out at the same distance up, with similar clanging at the point of resistance. Sounds like a metal shutter being forced open. Going to get a ladder tomorrow and either clean or replace this vent.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Wasabi the J posted:

Haha tried the plumbing snake but the fucker zooms out at the same distance up, with similar clanging at the point of resistance. Sounds like a metal shutter being forced open. Going to get a ladder tomorrow and either clean or replace this vent.

Maybe you’ve got an in-line backdraft damper that got clogged shut by cleaning the line outside-in?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So, it was about two footballs worth of loving lint, packed so loving tight that it was moving the duct. That's what was banging around when I thought I was "topping-out".

I got up onto the roof (which didn't seem so steep from below, but gently caress that noise) ripped up the vent top, and reamed the poo poo out of the duct while the dryer was on air-dry. After liberating the first football, I got a mild dusting, and felt more resistance another couple inches down, spun that poo poo out and got snowed out on my Vegas roof.

Checked the vents and don't see any damage in the attic, and now the burner stays on.

gently caress you house, you're my bitch, fucker.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Congrats on getting it fixed. Now your house has one less way to catch on fire!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This is the closest to "DIY Chat" as threads go so I wanted to pass along that Lowe's is doing 10% off for all Lowe's cardholders, today and tomorrow.

There's also some promotional thing in appliances where some stuff is 30% off. We're in the middle of remodeling my wife's old house to put on the market, so I'm probably about to spend on some major $$ purchases for the project.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 30, 2018

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Speaking of discounts, I thought I'd mention that Home Depot matches the 11% rebate that Menards does. It's not publicized and most employees don't know about it, but if you buy anything at Home Depot when Menards has their 11% sale, you can input your receipt online and redeem your 11% from Home Depot. So that's cool.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

So, it was about two footballs worth of loving lint, packed so loving tight that it was moving the duct. That's what was banging around when I thought I was "topping-out".

I got up onto the roof (which didn't seem so steep from below, but gently caress that noise) ripped up the vent top, and reamed the poo poo out of the duct while the dryer was on air-dry. After liberating the first football, I got a mild dusting, and felt more resistance another couple inches down, spun that poo poo out and got snowed out on my Vegas roof.

Checked the vents and don't see any damage in the attic, and now the burner stays on.

gently caress you house, you're my bitch, fucker.

Is that normal to vent the dryer out of the roof? I've only lived in houses where it comes out the side of the wall. Any chunks of lint just get spat out on the ground outside.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I used my microwave as a timer for 4 mins while I stepped outside to play catch with my dog. I noticed it had been longer than 4 mins, walked inside - and the microwave is dead. I tried plugging it into different outlets in the house - no power. Won't turn on anymore. It's a new-ish Sharp microwave I got from Cosco.

This same socket killed another microwave about a year ago, which is why I bought the Sharp. I have no idea what the circumstances of its death were, but I just know it used the same socket that just killed this one.

But, it's worked perfectly fine since I bought it, for a year now. Any idea what killed my microwave?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Im putting in some landscaping. Is it okay to just kill my grass and leave it in place? Ripping it all out sucks and I plan on just covering the whole area with mulch either way.

My only real concern is the grass is already at or above level with the sidewalks. I want to be able to put the mulch thick enough while still keeping it in place. At minimum I guess I could tear out the grass around the perimeter?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Im putting in some landscaping. Is it okay to just kill my grass and leave it in place? Ripping it all out sucks and I plan on just covering the whole area with mulch either way.

My only real concern is the grass is already at or above level with the sidewalks. I want to be able to put the mulch thick enough while still keeping it in place. At minimum I guess I could tear out the grass around the perimeter?

Gas powered tiller wouldn't do it? I feel like a sketchy landscape guy in a truck could get it done for a hundred.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Gas powered tiller wouldn't do it? I feel like a sketchy landscape guy in a truck could get it done for a hundred.

Yeah it's about $75-$100 to rent a sod cutter at Home Depot, but it's a hassle trying to load it in and out of my car.

Plenty of sketchy landscape guys around here though.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
So I want to install security cameras outside my house and run the wires up to the attic. A lot easier then it sounds.

I plan on drilling slightly above the second floor from the outside then fishing the wire upwards towards the attic... But I guess at the actual attic, a 2x4 is probably blocking it so I should drill from the top of the attic down?

How do you deal with the corners in the attic as it's hard to drill to begin with? Any suggestions and recommendations would be great.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dennis McClaren posted:

I used my microwave as a timer for 4 mins while I stepped outside to play catch with my dog. I noticed it had been longer than 4 mins, walked inside - and the microwave is dead. I tried plugging it into different outlets in the house - no power. Won't turn on anymore. It's a new-ish Sharp microwave I got from Cosco.

This same socket killed another microwave about a year ago, which is why I bought the Sharp. I have no idea what the circumstances of its death were, but I just know it used the same socket that just killed this one.

But, it's worked perfectly fine since I bought it, for a year now. Any idea what killed my microwave?

Like, you had it running with nothing in it for four minutes?

The thing inside the microwave that produces the microwaves is essentially a heater. Without anything for those microwaves to heat, all that heat stays in the emitter. If you just had it blasting microwaves into an empty box, then you killed the microwave by burning out the emitter.

Next time you're in Cosco getting a microwave, get a small timer as well.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Or spend $36 instead of $35 and buy one with a timer function.

I actually read it like you did the first time through and thought "no... no way."

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Sorry, I should have clarified. I had some frozen chicken in the microwave at the time lol. It wasn't empty.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Now I’m more confused. You just had frozen chicken hanging out in your microwave?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s timer chicken.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Is that normal to vent the dryer out of the roof? I've only lived in houses where it comes out the side of the wall. Any chunks of lint just get spat out on the ground outside.

Nope, and it's generally a bad idea. It's true that hot air rises, but dryer exhaust doesn't just have air in it. All that wet lint makes it a lot heavier. It's generally best to get it out of your house as soon as possible, which usually means going sideways with it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm thinking about reinstalling the vent because the goddamn check filter light just reappeared.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm thinking about reinstalling the vent because the goddamn check filter light just reappeared.

Did you also pull the dryer out and look inside the vent pipe in the dryer?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

If you have a vertical vent and it's going to be difficult to change you might bt able to put in something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-in-Dryer-Duct-Lint-Trap-PCLT4WHD/206526654

Yes, it needs to be cleaned regularly, but if it's possible to put it somewhere accessible that might be better than running a new duct.

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The thing inside the microwave that produces the microwaves is essentially a heater. Without anything for those microwaves to heat, all that heat stays in the emitter. If you just had it blasting microwaves into an empty box, then you killed the microwave by burning out the emitter.

The microwave we had in the early 1980s had a timer function. I don't think you can even buy a microwave that doesn't have a timer function.

Anyway I commented on this because I happened to see the post and a similar thing happened to me recently but kind of the opposite. I had the oven on and used the microwave's timer function for what I was cooking. The oven has its own outlet or whatever but is prob on the same circuit(?) as the outlet powering the microwave because they're on the same side of the kitchen. I realized the timer never went off so I checked and saw that the outlet was dead and I had to move the microwave to the other side of the kitchen. The microwave itself is fine. But the same thing had happened one time previously except the microwave had only shut itself off, not killed the outlet.

Now I'm worried my apartment is fixing to burn down or something. Is it safe to use my oven until this is fixed? Maintenance staff here sucks rear end and take a really long time to get around to you.

e: I checked the fuse box and nothing was tripped or w/e

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FogHelmut posted:

Did you also pull the dryer out and look inside the vent pipe in the dryer?

I have done these things:

1. Rodded and brushed duct
  2. Cleaned dryer
  3. Taken tube out of dryer and vacuumed all internals
  4. Shortened flex duct fro dryer to wall
  5. Cleaned out clog from roof

I'm thinking of running the line from the dryer straight back, which goes to the area where my water heater is installed, and going straight out to the exterior, where the duct will be fully accessible from the garage.

Likely going to run near the hot water heater, either above or below it. Is this a problem?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wasabi the J posted:

2. Cleaned dryer

I'm thinking of running the line from the dryer straight back, which goes to the area where my water heater is installed, and going straight out to the exterior, where the duct will be fully accessible from the garage.

Likely going to run near the hot water heater, either above or below it. Is this a problem?

Look on the back panel of the dryer for the wiring diagram and figure out what component causes the change filter light. Look at that next.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Is there a recommended way of removing these spider-infested vines other than simple brute force yanking? Can I just douse them in weed remover?

I want to avoid being covered in spiders.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well...there's always the incendiary option

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

wear gloves?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Cut across the bottom with either hedge clippers or a chainsaw depending on your level of commitment. Let them die, make sure no new runners hit the ground. When they die and dry out you should have fewer spiders. Then brush them to get rid of the balance.

Hire neighbor kids to be covered in spiders.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

2. Cleaned dryer

Did you take the back off the dryer, the duct out from inside the dryer and clean it and the fan out? Also, open the door on the front and look inside the dryer. Do you have fabric softener sheets completely blocking the air vent inside? That last one is really rare, but I've seen it happen.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

lol internet. posted:

So I want to install security cameras outside my house and run the wires up to the attic. A lot easier then it sounds.

I plan on drilling slightly above the second floor from the outside then fishing the wire upwards towards the attic... But I guess at the actual attic, a 2x4 is probably blocking it so I should drill from the top of the attic down?

How do you deal with the corners in the attic as it's hard to drill to begin with? Any suggestions and recommendations would be great.

Not quite following your problem description. Inside your attic should see framing and probably plywood sheathing, on both any exterior walls and the underside of the roof. You should have plenty of options to drill a hole through the plywood and whatever siding you have to the exterior. I would avoid putting holes through the framing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I have a kitchen sink that is clogged. It has two sides, one with a disposal in it and the other with a regular sink drain. It works fine initially, but if you let the water run for 30 seconds or so it begins to clog. I tried Drano and it didn't work. Anything else I can do?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeurinbyqhQ

The top comment on this Youtube video is getting a lot of likes, but I don't really understand what he's saying.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Two questions.

1. I am installing a security camera outside, running the cat5e cable into the attic by drilling a hole beside the ventilation holes. What's the best way to fill this so bugs and stuff don't get in? Just caulking or is there a better solution. Ideally I'd like to paint it to blend in a bit

2. What do I use for squeaky door hinges? I tried wd 40 which worked but only for like 3 months.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

lol internet. posted:

2. What do I use for squeaky door hinges? I tried wd 40 which worked but only for like 3 months.

Avoid wet-lube oils for doors. The oil will collect dust and turn into a black sludge that stops lubricating and becomes abrasive. You have to keep applying it regularly to stop squeaks.

Graphite powder is traditionally used for door lubrication and you can get it in little squeeze bottles that you can puff a little out a pointy tip to get it into locks and hinges. You need to take a rag with you when you apply it because it will leave little black clouds of graphite around wherever you apply it.

You can also use PTFE dry lube in spray bottles, which uses volatile solvents that evaporate away to deliver the teflon into the hinge or lock. This stuff stinks right when you first apply it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lol internet. posted:

Silicone spray IMO.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I have a kitchen sink that is clogged. It has two sides, one with a disposal in it and the other with a regular sink drain. It works fine initially, but if you let the water run for 30 seconds or so it begins to clog. I tried Drano and it didn't work. Anything else I can do?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeurinbyqhQ

The top comment on this Youtube video is getting a lot of likes, but I don't really understand what he's saying.

What he's saying is to take the plug/basket strainer for the sink, place it in the NON-disposal side, and while firmly holding down on it, turn on the disposal.

The disposal will force the water in the disposal side of the sink through the pipe at a much higher pressure than whatever measly effect gravity is having. But if you don't hold firmly down on the strainer, it will just shoot out that side of the sink.

This only works if you have the kind of strainer with the rubber gasket at the bottom that lets you fill the sink up with water, like this:

If you have the kind that's just the metal mesh basket, like so, you're out of luck:

At least until you go to a hardware store and get the kind with a gasket for, like, $3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
They also make straight up rubber stoppers. I have one for my sink.