Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is there any kind of timetable on his pending criminal charges or is that likely to sit for awhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think they need at least another 600 hours of questioning over the next 7 years before they could really have an idea.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Raldikuk posted:

By and large the tunnels are for smuggling basic supplies and to allow Palestinians to travel to work in Israel.
oh my gosh this is adorable

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
Try not to get your hopes up, good things don't happen and Bibi will outlive all of us

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nameless_Steve posted:

It does look like naivety if you assume the perfidious Palestinian is some sort of bloodthirsty goblin.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

It does look like naivety if you assume the perfidious Palestinian is some sort of bloodthirsty goblin.

I'm sure that flour would be banned for being dual-use if the Israeli government could convince enough people that it could be used to make a fuel-air bomb.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

I'm sure that flour would be banned for being dual-use if the Israeli government could convince enough people that it could be used to make a fuel-air bomb.

Just say they were going to make dough rise on Passover.

(there's been a news report that hospitals are now required to check visitors' bags for food that's not Passover-kosher. A requirement so ridiculous no hospital admitted that they'd follow this directive, even religious ones)

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 29, 2018

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

Nameless_Steve posted:

While I doubt that the tunnels are being used to allow Gazan laborers into Israel, he's essentially correct. There are smuggling and military tunnels. The smuggling tunnels go into Egypt and allow for the smuggling of civilian and military goods(though this has gotten much harder with the war in Sinai). The vast majority of the military tunnels are within Gaza itself and allow Hamas and other militants to ambush invading Israeli ground troops or to escape from pursuit, be it aerial or ground. The few tunnels which go into Israel a) don't go very far and b) have only been used to attack IDF troops preparing to invade at the staging grounds near the border (ie, when there is a full-scale war). They have not been used to attack civilian targets; for one thing, building tunnels requires too many resources to waste on militarily-useless attacks and for another, there is very little civilian infrastructure within tunneling distance of the Gazan border. The idea that Hamas is just waiting to tunnel into a kindergarten and slaughter Jewish children for shits and giggles is absurd.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43593594

Looks like a protest in Gaza near the border fence went sideways today. 16 Palestinians dead and hundreds wounded.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
This seems like it might be worth remembering next time someone smugly suggests that the Palestinians should consider less violent means of resistance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not Operator posted:

This seems like it might be worth remembering next time someone smugly suggests that the Palestinians should consider less violent means of resistance.
Here's a kid getting shot at while running away.

https://twitter.com/Liam_O_Hare/status/979764853836537856

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
How is anyone even remotely okay with this anymore

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
the usual ways

https://twitter.com/MsJulieLenarz/status/979717303217647616

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol that lady has me blocked and i've never heard of her before.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

No need to come up with a different excuse when nobody bothers to scrutinize the excuses that currently work.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grondoth posted:

How is anyone even remotely okay with this anymore

As usual, tremendous amounts of racism combined with the self-righteousness of colonialists feeling entitled to the land they steal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/JacobMagid/status/979814637716860930?s=19

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Why was he holding a tyre? Ain’t judging him for it, just curious.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Not Operator posted:

quote:

The IDF said troops were "firing towards the main instigators" to break up rioting that included petrol bombs and stones being thrown at the fence.

Petrol bombs are not exactly the tools of peaceful resistance.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GaussianCopula posted:

:thunk:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
any sort of "so much for peaceful protest :rolleyes:" deflection is even more hollow than usual in response to a video of unarmed people getting shot in the back while running away

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

This is true, I'm glad they only sniped the people with petrol bombs.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A violent march, you say?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Even the Israeli news channel I watched said the march barely flew any Hamas flags if any.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I.. okay, I know this isn't actually an example of using a human shield, and that's just a thing some assholes like to say to justify themselves, but one thing has always bothered me enormously about this that never gets addressed.

Assuming we generously accept the idea that these people are human shields: the proper response to someone using a human shield should not be to murder the human shield.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Why was the IDF shelling the area just before the protest? Seems like a really unsubtle bit of intimidation. Guess you've got to kill the occasional farmer to keep the helots down.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Chadderbox posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43593594

Looks like a protest in Gaza near the border fence went sideways today. 16 Palestinians dead and hundreds wounded.

"sideways"
This was incredibly predictable and part and parcel of the plan when it was conceived. I was staring at the headline about the protest/attack "planned for later today" and wondering how many Palestinians were going to die in this stupid thing.

I have no idea what's happening with blackshirt tire guy but I can't see any blood and he walks away relatively unscathed so I'm guessing the sniper just shot the tire out of his hand to dick around with him. It's also unsurprising that despite the fact that you can clearly see him get up and walk away (0:34 in Flaming Liberal's video) and no visible blood anywhere, that many Palestinians are still actively lying that he was shot dead.

Again, you can SEE him get up and walk away.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nameless_Steve posted:

Again, you can SEE him get up and walk away.

No you can't?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Nameless_Steve posted:

so I'm guessing the sniper just shot the tire out of his hand to dick around with him.

lol that you have to come up with this bizarre head canon to justify not feeling anything about watching a guy get shot in the back

also even if that is what happened, it's still horrific to shoot at unarmed civilians who are running away regardless of whether it's "just to dick around with them" you sociopath

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Zanzibar Ham posted:

No you can't?
You absolutely can, it's just hard to see around the crowd. You have to have an eye for this kind of thing.

1. Watch the spot on the ground where he falls. The crowd moves (they are following him, moving with him) and then he's not there anymore. One guy is hanging back and walks over the spot where blackshirt had been laying a second before.
2. Blackshirt is led through the crowd and you can only catch fleeting glimpses of him between the other people. Here is one of the frames where this is true:

3. If he's dead and just lying there, it doesn't make sense for the crowd to move towards him and then away for no reason at all.
4. And apparently the tires were for lighting on fire and rolling at the soldiers. It's a lovely weapon but you shouldn't earn sympathy just because you deliberately take knives to gunfights.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Nameless_Steve posted:

You absolutely can, it's just hard to see around the crowd. You have to have an eye for this kind of thing.

1. Watch the spot on the ground where he falls. The crowd moves (they are following him, moving with him) and then he's not there anymore. One guy is hanging back and walks over the spot where blackshirt had been laying a second before.
2. Blackshirt is led through the crowd and you can only catch fleeting glimpses of him between the other people. Here is one of the frames where this is true:

3. If he's dead and just lying there, it doesn't make sense for the crowd to move towards him and then away for no reason at all.
4. And apparently the tires were for lighting on fire and rolling at the soldiers. It's a lovely weapon but you shouldn't earn sympathy just because you deliberately take knives to gunfights.

It should also be noted that the video clearly uses a digital zoom the moment he is surrounded by the the crowd, giving you a worse shot of the action, probably because it's a lovely propaganda video that wants you to believe that he is dead when he is not. (at 0:22)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it couldn't be that they're picking him up and carrying him.

e: which you can clearly see they did in the video in that Times of Israel article you linked

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

GaussianCopula posted:

It should also be noted that the video clearly uses a digital zoom the moment he is surrounded by the the crowd, giving you a worse shot of the action, probably because it's a lovely propaganda video that wants you to believe that he is dead when he is not. (at 0:22)

you're right this is the only logical explanation for the lovely cinematography skills on display here

if they wanted us to believe them why aren't they shooting in 4k with steadicams huh :colbert:

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, it couldn't be that they're picking him up and carrying him.

e: which you can clearly see they did in the video in that Times of Israel article you linked

They help him to his feet and give him a shoulder but he's clearly walking on his own power

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hey Amir, go out get that tire, and we will start shooting at you. Don't worry we will not hit you.
Then when you get close fall down, then Abdul here, yes you Abdul, will run out, and try to carry you or the tire back.
Then Abdul, look at me Abdul, you collapse a few yards from us. Then we will all run out, and carry you off camera.
This will make it look like the Israeli's have hit you, and we will be front page of CNN tonight!
Ok, now......REMEMBER NOT TO HIT AMIR WITH THE SHOTS......ACTION.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah theyre all crisis actors bussed in by Hamas

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nameless_Steve posted:

They help him to his feet and give him a shoulder but he's clearly walking on his own power

For someone claiming to see a lot of things you seem unable to see that the Times of Israel video shows them picking him up by his feet (and shoulders), not to his feet.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
So much analysis on whether a kid got shot or not, while totally ignoring the other kid getting shot at repeatedly.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's ok, they were just aiming for the tire, he was in no danger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Obviously the kid in the blackshirt was known to the IDF as a Hamas Commando, and after a positive ID and authorization by higher command they were given the order for a lethal takedown.

Israel is now safe from the vile threat of slowly rolling tires on fire.