Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't you go anthropomorphizing the monkeys now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Baka-nin posted:

One finger of the monkey's paw curls up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa2yw6B_59s

Ahhh..,.this is actually really loving funny too. Bogart was always one of the best of the first wave after James due to being more chill. Deserves way more than 1.5k, that's for sure.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Why is it called a "monkey's paw" anyway? I'm pretty sure that's a monkey's hand. Would we call severed hands "human paws"?

ask w. w. jacobs

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
And there goes OmegaGeek (who, ironically, won't be the last).

https://twitter.com/TheOmegaGeek/status/979815582295085057

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I see she gave hemself some cover from awful angry fans with the old PhD defense defense.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 30, 2018

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Update:

Channel Awesome at the start of the month

Channel Awesome now (notice they're actually down a column)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You can cross out Lotus Prince as well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

business hammocks posted:

I see he gave himself some cover from awful angry fans with the old PhD defense defense.

She :eng101:

Omega is Diamanda Hagan's wife.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

She :eng101:

Omega is Diamanda Hagan's wife.

Sorry. The only names on the list I recognize any more are Maven, Film Brain, and Brad Jones. Not that I’m not glad she’s leaving it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Did Chris Stuckmann ever learn to close his mouth?

Nevermind.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 30, 2018

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KayTee posted:

Fredrik Knudsen just released a Down the Rabbit Hole video about Spoony.

I'm not gonna link it. I don't think I'll watch it.

Pretend this post didn't happen.

You should follow KayTee's example and just not link it.

The only thing worse than endless BotL derails is Spoony talk.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Meinberg posted:

I watched the Down the Rabbit Hole video. My only take aways were that 1) the American medical health care system sucks and 2) LordKat is an awful, reprehensible human being whose rants I didn't really want to hear.
It's hilarious how he blames Joe and Spoony for not getting that Notch interview because of the infamous "BETRAYAL" scream when any rep could have gone on LK's stream and find out pretty quickly why they didn't want him interviewing another rear end in a top hat

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

It's hilarious how he blames Joe and Spoony for not getting that Notch interview because of the infamous "BETRAYAL" scream when any rep could have gone on LK's stream and find out pretty quickly why they didn't want him interviewing another rear end in a top hat

From what I've read about Notch, maybe he's just mad he didn't get to fellate an even bigger jerk than himself.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Didn't LordKat forget to turn off his livestream once and liverstreamed himself masturbating?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
That was DarkSydePhil, whose less "monstrous scumbag" and more "comically inept rear end in a top hat"

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

For a moment I though we were beginning to uncover a long line of unintentional online jerk streams.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It is actually said that LK was caught having a toss after his stream once a few years ago, but it was audio only. Not that I can find real evidence for this nor am I willing to perform a deep dive for it.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I was thinking for a second that LordKat was the one who shoved a banana up his rear end on video, but that was Amazing Atheist.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Conal Cochran posted:

For a moment I though we were beginning to uncover a long line of unintentional online jerk streams.

Streamers gettin caught jerkin it is an internet tradition that's existed as long as bandwidth has been good enough to stream video up and down simultaneously

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

LK was the one who groped a woman on stream and (separate incident) coaxed a drunk woman into flashing the stream.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Does LordKat still do an NFL podcast, because I'm pretty sure he has some strong opinions about players kneeling for the anthem

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Streamers gettin caught jerkin it is an internet tradition that's existed as long as bandwidth has been good enough to stream video up and down simultaneously

This raises an interesting question: was the first streamed jacking off intentional or unintentional?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I Before E posted:

This raises an interesting question: was the first streamed jacking off intentional or unintentional?

Gotta be intentional surely. LiveJasmin n' all that...

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Gotta be intentional surely. LiveJasmin n' all that...

The Internet is governed by two oppositional yet equal forces: the desire to distribute one's genitals and the tendency to gently caress up when using technology, and either one presents a compelling argument for causing the first streamed JO.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I Before E posted:

The Internet is governed by two oppositional yet equal forces: the desire to distribute one's genitals and the tendency to gently caress up when using technology, and either one presents a compelling argument for causing the first streamed JO.

I read that in the :doink: voice in my head, not gonna lie.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I read that in the :doink: voice in my head, not gonna lie.

Same.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Why is it called a "monkey's paw" anyway? I'm pretty sure that's a monkey's hand. Would we call severed hands "human paws"?

Humans are speciesist and would never call a monkey's hand a "hand". That would mean acknowledging a dirty, stupid animal as something even remotely being close to us, which can never happen. I'm calling it now: As soon as the first aliens we meet notice that we're calling their hands "paws", it will mean war

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
They'll be too busy genociding us to make room for terraforming equipment and colonies to care at all about anything we say or do. imo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

They'll be too busy genociding us to make room for terraforming equipment and colonies to care at all about anything we say or do. imo

If we're lucky, they'll use us to carry around their poo poo

And they'll talk about how lazy we are while standing on our starving bodies

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, like... wow.
I'm a massively different (and better) person than I was when this all went down (also I mean I was 16 and ridiculously depressed at the time and puberty fucks with you so much), but still. How the gently caress did I not recognize how much of a incredible piece of poo poo he was?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Unrelated, Dan is the reason you're not producing content since December that more career-related opportunities took off again?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Moatman posted:

Yeah, like... wow.
I'm a massively different (and better) person than I was when this all went down (also I mean I was 16 and ridiculously depressed at the time and puberty fucks with you so much), but still. How the gently caress did I not recognize how much of a incredible piece of poo poo he was?

LordKat was (is, I suppose) a very, very charming, charasmatic person. If you did only scratch the surface, the guy is a big, friendly nerd, with a lot of confidence who doesn't take himself too seriously. There's a lot to like there. I did too - dude was the only person who could make American Football entertaining.

It's only when you get past that when you realise what a scumlord he is.

There's a term that gets brought up in the Freep thread a lot, but I forget it and don't wanna go looking for it - but basically every event led to a purge of the less extreme and a strengthening of the more extreme to the point that he can be an overt scumlord and it doesn't hurt his community because everyone who can see the scum has already been exiled. I'm guessing that's what happened with the LKmafia.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jenny Nicholson's got a new video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KeFvjm_hcA

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

MiddleOne posted:

Unrelated, Dan is the reason you're not producing content since December that more career-related opportunities took off again?

Sort of?

January was a wash of depression, then February was a slow grind back to productivity, but then the Fifty Shades script kept ballooning in scope. The New Zealand trip interrupted that process, and it just took me longer to spool back up after getting home than I'd hoped.

Now I'm sitting here trying really hard to finish the Grey script before One Hit Die Season 3 starts shooting on Monday because that it also probably another two week interruption (though I have this dream that if I can get the script done today I can shoot tomorrow and maybe manage to edit it slowly after work over the course of the week, since we're in studio the whole time and I won't be starting my days with a 2 hour drive out to the mountains like on The Detour.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Who is lordkat anyway? I know nothing about him.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

FoldableHuman posted:

Sort of?

January was a wash of depression, then February was a slow grind back to productivity, but then the Fifty Shades script kept ballooning in scope. The New Zealand trip interrupted that process, and it just took me longer to spool back up after getting home than I'd hoped.

Now I'm sitting here trying really hard to finish the Grey script before One Hit Die Season 3 starts shooting on Monday because that it also probably another two week interruption (though I have this dream that if I can get the script done today I can shoot tomorrow and maybe manage to edit it slowly after work over the course of the week, since we're in studio the whole time and I won't be starting my days with a 2 hour drive out to the mountains like on The Detour.)

Dang. You obviously don't halfass stuff and seem to work extremely hard. Taking care of yourself is way more important but I know that it's not really a first ( or second or 38439th) priority when depression is swallowing your brain.
Stay safe buddy. :sympathy:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

corn in the bible posted:

From what I remember, he was a Channel Awesome guy until he left due to friction with Spoony. Then he became semi-famous for ranting about how Channel Awesome was poo poo, Spoony was poo poo, etc. Over time he revealed himself to be a total psychopath, such as when he begged Spoony to take his brother's service gun and blow his brains out. He was in the Let's Play forum briefly until people told him to cool it with the rape jokes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

KayTee posted:

LordKat was (is, I suppose) a very, very charming, charasmatic person. If you did only scratch the surface, the guy is a big, friendly nerd, with a lot of confidence who doesn't take himself too seriously. There's a lot to like there. I did too - dude was the only person who could make American Football entertaining.
It helped that for a while the LKmafia was a pretty healthy community and LK was really connected with it, he came off that he cared about everyone who watched the stream and would have people in the chat be on the stream via skype. I personally had fun talking to people like Rollo T, Y Ruler of Time, Arclight, and a bunch of other stream regulars at 1:00 am in college.

There was a lot of variety to the shows he had and they were for the most part fun times, I liked the DnD campaigns they did (which was also a part of the reason why LK grew to hate Spoony) and watching them play L4D was great (especially when Rollo T hosed up).

But yeah once all that sheen went away you just saw all the ugliness and it consumed the site/stream and made it really toxic.

I'm just glad a lot of good people realized it and left when they could.

corn in the bible posted:

He got big with a show called Until We Win where he tried to play "unwinnable" games without cheating/save spaces (he admits that this was a mistake because trying to beat games that way was just hell for editing and time consuming), he then started up a stream on JustinTV which got pretty big until one day where he told Spoony to blow his brains out and then issued an ultimatum with his fanbase to either choose him or Spoony. I don't think he ever banned anyone, it just created a really toxic atmosphere that never went away and just got worse and worse as time went on.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Disney World is creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

KayTee posted:

There's a term that gets brought up in the Freep thread a lot, but I forget it and don't wanna go looking for it - but basically every event led to a purge of the less extreme and a strengthening of the more extreme to the point that he can be an overt scumlord and it doesn't hurt his community because everyone who can see the scum has already been exiled. I'm guessing that's what happened with the LKmafia.

This would be the Compaction Cycle from good ol' Prester Jane's narrativist theory of extremism. The metaphor she uses is to imagine a community as like a snowball, that starts out loose and fluffy and harmless, but every time there's a shock to the community its like crushing the snowball in your hands, where the people who aren't True Believers slough off and the fanatics are compressed into a rock hard ice ball. This repeats over and over (like packing more snow around the ice core and crushing it over and over) until the once-harmless community is now a fist-sized chunk of icy murder.

• Locked thread