Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

WarpedNaba posted:

I never got what the bottom spring 10 was about.

I assume it means "bottom of the mine by Spring 10"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Geez, I got super lucky with the community center. Red cabbage seeds in year 1 winter, and a rabbit's foot the first day my bunnies became adults. :stare: Finished it on Winter 15.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Dinosaur farm is a pretty low-effort way of animal farming.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
removed. I swear I clicked on the Networking thread.. Sorry.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 30, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Glasswire? Not sure it works for Mac, but it definitely registers network activity
But in a farm, you're lucky to have dial up if I'm honest.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I meant to post in the networking thread, but holy poo poo thanks for the potentially on-point advice! :)

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Where the gently caress is multiplayer chucklefish you useless shits

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Tatsuta Age posted:

Where the gently caress is multiplayer chucklefish you useless shits

:chloe:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

What, is it out and I missed it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
no

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're not wrong

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I keep checking back to see if it's happened. :argh:

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Heartcatch posted:

I keep checking back to see if it's happened. :argh:

I'm trapped in the "wait for patch, or start new game" dilemma so I know how you feel.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Achernar posted:

I'm trapped in the "wait for patch, or start new game" dilemma so I know how you feel.

Yeah same. I am itching to start anew but don't want to lose the drive if the patch comes halfway.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
I know why they don't but I wish there was at least a vague ETA given so I could make a decision. Next month? I'll wait. Mid to late summer? I'd ga ahead an play now.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm not really feeling the itch, I'll wait until the new patch before I start over, maybe get the 10 mil achievement this time.

blaarghh
Nov 28, 2007

I just started a new game because I was too impatient waiting for the update. I have the forest farm which is adorable, and I've been very lucky so far. As soon as I unlocked the quarry I dug out a prismatic shard, so I was able to get the galaxy sword the first time I went to the desert. Now it's spring y2 and all I'm waiting on is a truffle to complete the community centre.

Do you think they'll let us marry Sandy in the new update? :allears:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

blaarghh posted:

Do you think they'll let us marry Sandy in the new update? :allears:

this isn't a just universe so no :(

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
My mum, who has never played a videogame in her life beyond point and click find-the-object games, has been playing this nonstop for the last two weeks. My dad and brothers are starving, the house is a mess, but she's into summer year 3 and still hasn't learned to fish.

I tried to teach her while I was there this weekend but she couldn't get the hang of it. Me, on the other hand - I obviously started a new game today

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, but fishing sucks rear end, so I don't blame your mom.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Bogart posted:

Yeah, but fishing sucks rear end, so I don't blame your mom.

I love fishing! It's one of my favourite parts of the game. But she's playing with a controller and I gave it a go while I was teaching her, it's a lot trickier than just using the mouse.

She uses the controller to move but in the menus switches to her laptop's trackpad :3:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I started a new game when I found out there'd been a 1.2 patch and took a while to realize it wasn't anything at all like 1.1 in terms of gameplay changes.

I've got the hilltop farm, which definitely has my favorite layout of any of the farms. The little quarry gives you a handful of copper ores and geodes before you can access the mines and then is largely pointless, but you've got loads of cozy little nooks and crannies for bees or trees or cattle to graze by the riverbank. :3:

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Just got this game for the Switch since the console was pretty much gathering dust otherwise. Game is good and as a veteran of old Harvest Moon games (starting on the SNES) it was easy to get started. I've only got a few rows of crops at the moment and I'm currently saving for a chicken coop. Just had the egg festival. Anything I need to be on the lookout for? Fishing and foraging are my primary sources of income atm.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RanKizama posted:

Just got this game for the Switch since the console was pretty much gathering dust otherwise. Game is good and as a veteran of old Harvest Moon games (starting on the SNES) it was easy to get started. I've only got a few rows of crops at the moment and I'm currently saving for a chicken coop. Just had the egg festival. Anything I need to be on the lookout for? Fishing and foraging are my primary sources of income atm.

Do the cave to get parts(iron etc) for sprinklers once you have an array of them you can just roll in money.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I too picked up this game on Switch and is the saving time supposed to be this long? It's like 20 seconds. Great game so far otherwise though.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

SettingSun posted:

I too picked up this game on Switch and is the saving time supposed to be this long? It's like 20 seconds. Great game so far otherwise though.

I played the Xbox version before the Switch and the save time is much longer on the Switch. I’m used to it now, but at first it was really a pain to get used to. Luckily it’s only once a day, compared to something like the load screens for Night in the Woods which happens frequently.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

socialsecurity posted:

Do the cave to get parts(iron etc) for sprinklers once you have an array of them you can just roll in money.
I went into my cave and swung all my tools around but nothing happened. Advice?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RanKizama posted:

I went into my cave and swung all my tools around but nothing happened. Advice?

Wrong cave go north of town follow the river.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There’s a mine behind the carpenter’s shop which either just unlocked or is about to unlock. It’ll get you started on the crafting system, which gives you a lot of tools for making farming easier and more profitable.

The farm cave has a function, but you’ll get a cutscene for when it becomes available, so don’t worry about it until then.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

socialsecurity posted:

Wrong cave go north of town follow the river.
Gotcha. I think there was a guy hammering on a rock pile last time I went up there. I'll follow up on that later.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

eating only apples posted:

My mum, who has never played a videogame in her life beyond point and click find-the-object games, has been playing this nonstop for the last two weeks. My dad and brothers are starving, the house is a mess, but she's into summer year 3 and still hasn't learned to fish.

I tried to teach her while I was there this weekend but she couldn't get the hang of it. Me, on the other hand - I obviously started a new game today
First teach your dad and brothers to cook their own drat meals.

Then teach your mom about using the C key to move the bar up, not bothering with the mouse or controller. Changed my life.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

RanKizama posted:

Be sure to check out the Community Center and (spoiled in case you haven't yet) keep an eye on the various bundles, especially the pantry. You don't have to worry about getting everything done right away. But it is nice to complete the pantry during that first winter. The pantry and the crafts room are very dependent on seasonal goods, so you'll want to keep tabs on what you can gather. The fish tank is, too. But it's easier to worry about that later. Otherwise, don't stress out about doing everything perfect.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Boonoo posted:

don't stress out about doing everything perfect.

wtc is wrong with you filthy casuals

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Boonoo posted:

Be sure to check out the Community Center and (spoiled in case you haven't yet) keep an eye on the various bundles, especially the pantry. You don't have to worry about getting everything done right away. But it is nice to complete the pantry during that first winter. The pantry and the crafts room are very dependent on seasonal goods, so you'll want to keep tabs on what you can gather. The fish tank is, too. But it's easier to worry about that later. Otherwise, don't stress out about doing everything perfect.
Okay, so I've seen the community center stuff but have no idea what to do with it. Do you just bring in stuff to redeem packages of other stuff? The game didn't do a real solid job of explaining what's going on.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

RanKizama posted:

Okay, so I've seen the community center stuff but have no idea what to do with it. Do you just bring in stuff to redeem packages of other stuff? The game didn't do a real solid job of explaining what's going on.

Oh yeah, so you just take whatever--a daffodil, a leek, wild horseradish--to the community center, and click on the placard on the floor (the first room that's available is largely based around foraged items). That'll open up a bundle selection screen--from there you can deposit your items. Every time you complete a bundle you get a little present. Once you complete all the bundles for any given room you'll get a big present--repaired bridge, rebuilt greenhouse, etc.

As you complete the first few bundles new rooms will open up.

You can also check out the community center bundles from your menu, so you can double check to see if you need any particular crop, fish, or whatever.

My first time through the game I forgot about the community center my whole first spring, and when I did check I didn't have a potato available to complete the spring crops bundle (I was saved when someone mailed me one later on, though).

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

There's a traveling gypsy woman who brings out of season items twice a week and charges a fortune like that poo poo's magic or she's actually traveling halfway around the world to get them fresh.

Little does she know, food doesn't spoil so I'll have complete control over the commodity market within two years and put her and her filthy people out of business all while selling red cabbage for 59c to the people just to gently caress with the system and prove that scarcity and value are social constructs that only I have the power to manipulate.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 3, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You shut your filthy mouth, Rabbit Foot Selling Lady is a national treasure.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Sheesh, going after the traveling saleswoman's livelihood with crass capitalism. Gifting Pierre corn juice and showing him up every year in front of all the tourists is at least human.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I bet her cart is coal powered, too.

I don't think she has a permit to park her cart there and set up shop in the middle of the forest. The hat shop is sketchy as gently caress too.

I need to ask Lewis if she's paying her sales tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Her cart's clearly drawn by a large pig. Lewis would probably find them both not worth the hassle because the player's the only customer, unlike everybody else with businesses around town. He'd probably get a hundred times the proceeds off taxing the player that he would from both shops.