Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Does anyone have experience with Jump Desktop? How does it compare to the Microsoft RDP app? I’m going to need to be connecting to my PC at home more often and RDP works fine for now but I’m not sure what else Jump may offer.

I use it on the iPad and on my MBP.

1st and foremost, I think it renders the desktop better and mouse input and keyboard extras are much easier to use than RDP. I also like the one-stop-shopping of it understanding RDP and VNC protocols, but I rarely use VNC these days.

You can also sync your machine shortcuts across iCloud (you can also set up an account with the Jump folks, but why? EDIT: To sync across to the Windows and Android clients, duh.)

Is that worth the money? For me it was, but the MS RDP app is a perfectly serviceable (if basic) option.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
If anything, I'll say the Jump Desktop developers are active on fixing issues. When I had my MacBook Air at the time they were very responsive on a bug I discovered and they were quick to fix it. Even tossed me a beta account to test a few beta builds they had too. Cool guys.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Jump Desktop is really good and I administer systems all the time with it.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
Anyone have a preferred custom soundboard app?

SoundSlate/Audioboard don't appear to be available anymore. Looking for one that allows custom files/labels as well as the ability to stop playback.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Anybody know of a list/shopping list app where you can tag each item so you can filter the list?

For example, I would add “microSD card” and then tag it with the different places I might buy it from, so the next time I visit “tech mart”, I could just filter by that tag and see what I need to get that might be there

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

duckfarts posted:

Anybody know of a list/shopping list app where you can tag each item so you can filter the list?

For example, I would add “microSD card” and then tag it with the different places I might buy it from, so the next time I visit “tech mart”, I could just filter by that tag and see what I need to get that might be there

Any.do and ToDoist both support tags but only the paid versions

I’m sure there’s one out there that supports tags on the free tier

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I deleted my work email account from my phone because I was getting too stressed out getting work related email pushed to my phone/watch at home, but the side effect is that I no longer get push email when I’m at work.

Is there an email client that would let me say “only fetch emails and only push notifications to me during the hours of 9-5 on the weekdays only?” The way I imagine this working is that during the workday the unread badge would show me say “10” if I had 5 emails in my personal and 5 in my work accounts, and as soon as 5pm hits it would only say “5” and stop fetching emails from the work account altogether, or at the very least not push me any notifications regarding the work account.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey guys and gals. I have used Microsoft Outlook for 2 personal email accounts on my iPhone. All good.
My work just entered the 21st century and now I have an Outlook account at work. I have successfully linked up my work to my phone outlook, but if there is a way, I'd like to have like, my 2 personal email accounts be visible in my inbox, and then just be able to press the work account inbox when I need to look over there. Is this possible?
It'd be possible if I had one personal account because then I wouldn't go to "all inboxes", I'd just reside in the specific one, but since I have 2 personal accounts... yeah.

Any way in settings somewhere to isolate?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At worst you could just install the Outlook app and separate it out from the regular mail app.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EL BROMANCE posted:

At worst you could just install the Outlook app and separate it out from the regular mail app.

I’m already using outlook. I don’t use the mail app. Unless you meant the reverse and install the mail app for my work mail. Which, is a possibility, if I can’t do what I need to all in Outlook.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I presumed you were using mail.app and had that linked to all your outlook accounts. I don’t love the outlook app so I just use it for work emails (which I don’t need to check super often on my phone).

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

vibur posted:

Anyone have a preferred custom soundboard app?

SoundSlate/Audioboard don't appear to be available anymore. Looking for one that allows custom files/labels as well as the ability to stop playback.

Sound Byte looks pretty good: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sound-byte-cart-machine-app/id399788078?mt=8

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’d like to be able to add something to Instapaper from my iPhone and Chrome/Safari and have it also add it as a to-do item in Things 3. Is this possible at all?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
I was gonna say if you’re doing it just from an iPhone you could probably use Workflow to add it to both but if you’re also doing it from your computer, not sure

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Praise the lord! 🙌

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/13/17112494/youtube-app-ios-android-dark-mode-theme-update

quote:

YouTube is adding a new dark theme to its mobile apps, starting with iOS today. To activate the new theme, simply tap the account icon, go to settings, select “dark theme,” and enjoy the new look.

YouTube previously added a dark mode to its desktop site last year, and the company says since then, it’s become one of the most requested features for its mobile apps. As the name implies, the dark theme inverts some colors on the YouTube UI, swapping out the white background of the standard theme for a more cinematic, blacked-out style.

The dark theme should be rolling out to iOS users today. An Android version of the update is “coming soon.”

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got it yesterday and it owns :cool: Don't know why they didn't have it all along, but at least now my PC/iOS YouTube UIs look more similar than ever.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of, I've seen several apps recently roll out support for iOS 11's Smart Inverted Colors mode. I wish Apple would just create a Dark/Night mode already.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only thing I dislike about dark themes, is on most any link still remains blue and the lack of contrast sucks.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is Wunderlist still the best to-do list app or have Todoist or Google Keep surpassed it?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

Is Wunderlist still the best to-do list app or have Todoist or Google Keep surpassed it?

I’m digging 2Do right now, got grandfathered into the premium version after grabbing it when it went free a lot time ago

Even so, i think it was the only app to allow for tags that didn’t require a subscription (it’s a one off fee for 2Do)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Wunderlist was bought out by Microsoft some time ago. Their original plan was to convert all the functionalities of Wunderlist into Microsoft's own To-Do app, and they only planned on keeping Wunderlist running for the year or so that they thought it would take. Needless to say they vastly underestimated how much effort this would need and since then the original developer of Wunderlist has quit Microsoft. There's more info here but seeing as how Microsoft had plans to shut it down you might not want to use Wunderlist anymore.

Anyway here is a nice review at the Sweet Setup where they recommend Things, but they also have some bits about 2Do and Todoist.

I've been reading a lot of reviews on to-do apps recently cause I've been looking for one too, and off the top of my head here are my two cents for the various ones I see mentioned:

- Todoist is free with an optional yearly subscription. I'm totally fine with paying for my apps and I know the new trend is to pay (subscribe) to a service but honestly $30/year seems excessive for a to-do list. From what I remember the free version of Todoist wasn't really any better than Reminders. Plus I really don't like the (albeit minor) gamification that they threw into the app. There's an option to turn it off, but by default you get points for every task you complete, for streaks of days I think, and probably for a bunch of other things. Like I think it's a complete waste of time and money and effort that they could have put to use elsewhere.

- Reminders is something I still use on a constant basis simply because of Hey Siri.

- Things 3 is one I bought quite recently. It's only a flat $10 for iOS and they've got iPad and macOS versions too, but they're all considered separate apps. They don't have a webapp like Todoist has and actually it's macOS/iOS only, so there's no way to use it on Windows/Linux. They have an email feature where you get a private email address that you can email to to add a new to-do item, and they also have integration with Reminders which is pretty cool. I can say "Hey Siri remind me to take out the trash" and she'll add it to Reminders, and the next time I open Things it will get imported into Things (and deleted from Reminders). It also interfaces perfectly well with Workflow if you're into that. I have no basis for this but something tells me that they might have a webapp eventually, because their backend syncing service was something they wrote themselves, i.e., it's not iCloud based. I see no reason why they wouldn't put out a webapp at some point.

- Google Keep is something that I've never, and will never, consider because :barf: Google.

IMO Things is pretty great. It's got some drawbacks like no way to do quick entry (you need to sit there and watch the small animation for every item you add, which adds up) but that's easily solved by just using either Reminders or a Workflow workflow to convert a list into to-do items directly into Things. The best feature of Things for me is being able to distinguish between "deadlines" and "planned." I've gotten into the habit of throwing to-dos into the Things inbox throughout the day, and in the evening before going to bed I just go through and sort them all. For things I might wanna do tomorrow I can tell it that I'm planning on doing it tomorrow, but it's not a deadline so it doesn't make me feel icky if I decide to skip it. I can also tell it that I must do it by next Friday, and then assign that task for tomorrow, and if I don't get around to it I can push it back a day or two.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I like Things, was an OmniFocus user before it. But have been entertaining trying out TickTick after listening to Merlin Mann and Dan Benjamin talk about it on Back To Work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just looked up TickTick and just looking at the pictures… it looks like a rip-off of Todoist?

e: It’s even got the same gamification bullshit:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Awesome. Just found out I can import audiobooks from my Google drive into Downcast using the share option. Should be a much better audiobook player than any stand alone. I can't find one that doesn't forget my place all the time.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Awesome. Just found out I can import audiobooks from my Google drive into Downcast using the share option. Should be a much better audiobook player than any stand alone. I can't find one that doesn't forget my place all the time.
That's awesome. Do you know if it works with Dropbox too?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just looked up TickTick and just looking at the pictures… it looks like a rip-off of Todoist?

e: It’s even got the same gamification bullshit:

uh those are todoist screenshots my dude...

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

but yeah the features are very similar with a diff look and feel imo

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

oh wait i see why it's better - it has start times and due dates, the one thing that todoist refuses to implement is start dates

i might switch

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mad Wack posted:

uh those are todoist screenshots my dude...

Red is todoist, blue is the other one. I was just saying how one of them is a blatant rip-off of the other cause even the screenshots look the same.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Red is todoist, blue is the other one. I was just saying how one of them is a blatant rip-off of the other cause even the screenshots look the same.

Actually I switched to this after you posted because while yes an unashamed rip-off they actually offer a lot more features and functionality than todoist :shrug:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Todoist, like Wunderlist has always been like 2 or 3 features from perfection. Why they can't get over the hump is beyond me. "Things" is my current go-to.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Housh posted:

That's awesome. Do you know if it works with Dropbox too?

I do not know. Test it out though. Just select the file and see if it has "share to" option and select downcast.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

XBenedict posted:

Todoist, like Wunderlist has always been like 2 or 3 features from perfection. Why they can't get over the hump is beyond me. "Things" is my current go-to.
I feel like I downloaded an earlier version of Things but all I see is Things 3 for $9.99 now :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ATP had a discussion about to do list apps and pretty much came to conclusion that what's best for anyone is personal and none actually fit exactly what Marco wants.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So what, we're supposed to personally try out every to do list app for a week each? What is this, 1918?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
just use Reminders like a sane person

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

ATP had a discussion about to do list apps and pretty much came to conclusion that what's best for anyone is personal and none actually fit exactly what Marco wants.

I wonder if Marco will make a to do app, then. That’s how he came up with Overcast after all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

virinvictus posted:

I wonder if Marco will make a to do app, then. That’s how he came up with Overcast after all.
They talked about that and he said not likely.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Legs Benedict posted:

just use Reminders like a sane person

:yeah: shouting poo poo at my HomePod anywhere at home to fill my grocery list and set reminders for other poo poo is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Endless Mike posted:

They talked about that and he said not likely.

So he will