Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

i don't think there's a nice way to frame this, the thing killed him in exactly the way he knew it had been trying to kill him for ages. i can't imagine the thought process that would then lead someone to continue to use the suicide machine other than, well, the obvious.

it's a pretty suburban way to off yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Midjack posted:

it's a pretty suburban way to off yourself.

well Death of a Salesman was due for an updated adaptation i guess

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i don't think there's a nice way to frame this, the thing killed him in exactly the way he knew it had been trying to kill him for ages. i can't imagine the thought process that would then lead someone to continue to use the suicide machine other than, well, the obvious.

a retarded man who is crying and promising his broken car that it will still be an ai someday

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tw: tweet thread, in which a guy decides to post the full extent of his facebook and google profiles

https://twitter.com/iamdylancurran/status/977568304620548097

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

tw: tweet thread, in which a guy decides to post the full extent of his facebook and google profiles

Here it is in article form if you don't want to read a bunch of tweets:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/28/all-the-data-facebook-google-has-on-you-privacy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
danke

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'd like to switch away from gmail but it's going to be such a pain the rear end

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I'd like to switch away from gmail but it's going to be such a pain the rear end

i started to slowly shuffle things to either a personal address or icloud email, but the former im a bit eh about because id like to change providers and worry itll affect deliveries in some mysterious way, and the latter just feels like another gmail situation if i get cold feet about apple eventually

stupid effective gmail :sigh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'd say it's by design but i'm at least 90% sure it's actually just because google is loving awful at making software and 10% intransigence

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I switched to Runbox recently because they're located where I live and I can literally go punch them in the nuts if they gently caress up.

It was much less painful than I thought: informing actual people about your new email is easy, and after that I just lazily changed my email on services that sent me mail to my old address whenever something showed up. There's still mails going there but it's mostly newsletter spam.

other advantage: once your email runs on your own domain, subsequent moves are much easier

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tazjin posted:

I switched to Runbox recently because they're located where I live and I can literally go punch them in the nuts if they gently caress up.

It was much less painful than I thought: informing actual people about your new email is easy, and after that I just lazily changed my email on services that sent me mail to my old address whenever something showed up. There's still mails going there but it's mostly newsletter spam.

other advantage: once your email runs on your own domain, subsequent moves are much easier

kinda similar, only i went with the other email norwegians, fastmail

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i'd say it's by design but i'm at least 90% sure it's actually just because google is loving awful at making software and 10% intransigence

i refuse to janitor my own mail server so gmail is probably as good as it gets??

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

kinda similar, only i went with the other email norwegians, fastmail

I considered them but they host in the US

as I understand it their main advantage is the nice web UI, but as someone who literally lives in a printed out emacs I don't care much :smuggo:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

thinking about it, I did the same thing with yahoo mail when gmail came out but I just had less reliance on email so it was quicker

also those yahoo accounts still exist and act as amusing spam hubs for old accounts, as well as a flag on any service that sold their user lists

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’ve used a vanity email address hosted through Dreamhost for the last 10 years and it’s been fine. I only access through IMAP though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tazjin posted:

I considered them but they host in the US

as I understand it their main advantage is the nice web UI, but as someone who literally lives in a printed out emacs I don't care much :smuggo:

i dont care that much about that, i just want my email to be functional

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
switching off gmail doesn't stop them from tracking everything with my android phone or stop me from using google search and youtube even if I flip all the privacy switches so i'm not going to bother beyond using ublock origin and searching in an incognito window which is about as low effort as it gets

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

so whats the reason google and facebook let you download all the information they have on you? wouldn't they prefer you didn't know or is this some EU regulation or something???

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Baxate posted:

so whats the reason google and facebook let you download all the information they have on you? wouldn't they prefer you didn't know or is this some EU regulation or something???

yes, this is an eu regulation now, though these options were present earlier before too

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the people who are willing to download and parse through 5gb+ of personal data on their account, beyond the size shock factor, is so vanishingly small why not allow it

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Bhodi posted:

the people who are willing to download and parse through 5gb+ of personal data on their account, beyond the size shock factor, is so vanishingly small why not allow it

tbh those who do will then also just say "oh no, how horrible!" and post about that on facebook

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my bitter bi rival posted:

i refuse to janitor my own mail server so gmail is probably as good as it gets??

it's not, because office365 exists, but whatever, if it's just your personal poo poo that has no value it's probably fine

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

Google, by virtue of having the most* data can leverage that to defend against threat actors. They have a very good idea of what 'normal' is for you, your devices, your network etc.

Its bad, but also sometimes good. Depends on what you view as a threat.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bhodi posted:

my Facebook download was a couple hundred megs, and obvs 90% was the photos (which are compressed, pretty sure you can't get the originals back)

how do you even generate that much

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bhodi posted:

true but that sort of backfired when the android crew came to realize how lovely their OS's security was

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

it's not, because office365 exists, but whatever, if it's just your personal poo poo that has no value it's probably fine

is there really any reason to think microsoft is data mining your stuff any less than google? i basically use email to manage receipts and reservations so idgaf about much with email other than that.

some guy i guess
Jan 31, 2011
My Facebook zip was around 2.5gb, 95% of which was every picture sent/received through messenger. Also chat logs from group chats I was added and removed from (the logs included messages and pics sent when I was not in the chat)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

some guy i guess posted:

My Facebook zip was around 2.5gb, 95% of which was every picture sent/received through messenger. Also chat logs from group chats I was added and removed from (the logs included messages and pics sent when I was not in the chat)

lmao

gj facebook

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is there really any reason to think microsoft is data mining your stuff any less than google? i basically use email to manage receipts and reservations so idgaf about much with email other than that.

their tos, for one. but yeah, if this is for stuff you don't care about, then whatever

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Krankenstyle posted:

my Facebook download was a couple hundred megs, and obvs 90% was the photos (which are compressed, pretty sure you can't get the originals back)

how do you even generate that much

same. mine was pretty small they have basically nothing in there at all except things i personally have uploaded.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
With Microsoft, I’m a customer. Not a large one, but still. With google, I’m a product.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

some guy i guess posted:

!!!!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NICE!

some guy i guess
Jan 31, 2011
We're not talking entire histories (and futures) but there was definitely one chat with a couple days both ways.

some guy i guess fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 31, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I never started using gmail in the first place because who the gently caress uses email through a web page?

try a native mail app, turns out native apps are actually good, at least on good platforms

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

virtually every hosting provider also offers email

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

if you use consumer gmail, you're the product, and they spy on you relentlessly

if you pay for business gmail, they stop snooping on you. this is a recent change. they hired diane greene as vp of enterprise poo poo and she went ballistic

it's almost like corporate users want their secrets to be secret or something?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

outlook.com "premium" is the business email offering, separated from office 365, at a lower price than office 365

that's where i host my mail, personally. they explicitly do not spy on you, it's in the fuckin eula. and i have no need for a microsoft office license, so saving a few bucks a year is a good deal

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you use consumer gmail, you're the product, and they spy on you relentlessly

if you pay for business gmail, they stop snooping on you. this is a recent change. they hired diane greene as vp of enterprise poo poo and she went ballistic

it's almost like corporate users want their secrets to be secret or something?

Any sources for this? I'm about to start googling 'google spys on you' but I figure asking might save me some wading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TimWinter posted:

Any sources for this? I'm about to start googling 'google spys on you' but I figure asking might save me some wading.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/23/15862492/google-gmail-advertising-targeting-privacy-cloud-business