Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Songbearer posted:

Someone made a solid mod for it called MotherVR: Github Link

A video of it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjzJMaQqzGc

I can't vouch for how good it is personally (I'm too much of a scaredy cat to play A:I flatscreen let alone be inside it) but I've heard a lot of people say it works very well.

Thanks I'll give this a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Don't forget there's a new Aliens FPS in the works that nobody knows anything about and will probably suck because it's Aliens https://www.pcgamer.com/theres-a-new-alien-game-in-the-works/

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Tried running this on my gtx680 and the FPS seems to stutter alot even on low. My card is barely above the minimum requirements so I wasn't expecting much. Is there a particular setting that hogs resources?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Elderbean posted:

Tried running this on my gtx680 and the FPS seems to stutter alot even on low. My card is barely above the minimum requirements so I wasn't expecting much. Is there a particular setting that hogs resources?

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/7757/doom-graphics-performance-tweak-guide/index.html

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Don't forget there's a new Aliens FPS in the works that nobody knows anything about and will probably suck because it's Aliens https://www.pcgamer.com/theres-a-new-alien-game-in-the-works/

quote:

While it's still anyone's guess what kind of form this "shooter" will arrive in, it's very likely to have a strong online component.
Cool there's nothing scarier than a bunch of internet people calling me a human being.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
It might work better for a space marines squad Aliens type of action romp? maybe it's a Left 4 Dead in space, which doesn't sound like the worst thing.

but yeah Isolation has been the only game to ever focus on what made Alien (the movie) good, and i fear it might've been the kind of happy accident that's hard to pull off again or expand upon. Especially with depressing things like

quote:

Whatever the case, now that the Murdoch-owned FoxNext has Alien in its licensing camp, it's pretty unlikely that we'll ever see Creative Assembly deliver an Isolation sequel.
:smith:
Though i would've said the same thing about a new DOOM so i'm always happy to be proven wrong.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 27, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am a fan of both the "The alien is an unstoppable killing machine so don't even try to fight it" and the "Aliens are fodder for your magnetic railgun machine gun but they will still kill you ez if they get close" camps so personally I'll be satisfied either way.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's one of the reasons why some people prefer the original Alien movie or Aliens. I myself prefer Aliens because while they kill shitloads of aliens, is always by sheer firepower and by keeping them at range, if they get close they're hosed.

I reinstalled recently AvP 2010 and is still a decent game maybe no AvP2 good but still nice.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Alien and Aliens are both excellent entries in their respective genres.

The doom series itself is a pretty good example of sub-genre variation within a franchise, going from early 90mph run and gun entries to "Hey Half life and HL2 were pretty neat" Doom 3 attempts and back. Of course, some of those attempts were less successful than others.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of the things I like most about Alien (the movie) retroactively because of Aliens (also the movie) is that the Xenomorph is not indestructible. You can totally kill a Xenomorph and without all that much difficulty if you have the means and aren't an idiot and/or redshirt. But if you don't have the means, you end up with the first movie. What makes the Xenomorph so scary is that normal people, even in the superfuture, don't have a way of dealing with it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 27, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why make an aliens l4d game when space hulk exists? Hopefully the enhanced edition fixes the engine issues.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Aliens is a good movie but Alien is a masterpiece. James Cameron ain’t got poo poo on 70s/80s Ridley Scott.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"Long play-session MMO" makes me think we're getting Aliens Planetside, which might actually be rad as gently caress.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

On the topic of Aliens game chat, just a reminder that we could have gotten a Mass Effect style Aliens RPG by Obsidian, but Sega canceled it in favor of Colonial fuckin’ Marines.

https://youtu.be/2KmwNIdkeZc

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Xenomrph posted:

On the topic of Aliens game chat, just a reminder that we could have gotten a Mass Effect style Aliens RPG by Obsidian, but Sega canceled it in favor of Colonial fuckin’ Marines.

https://youtu.be/2KmwNIdkeZc

All I ever wanted was a game where I could sell out my colleagues to The Company, and I was confident Obsidian could deliver. All I ever wanted... was a Paul Reiser simulator.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sesq posted:

All I ever wanted was a game where I could sell out my colleagues to The Company, and I was confident Obsidian could deliver. All I ever wanted... was a Paul Reiser simulator.

There’s an old ‘Aliens’ pencil-and-paper RPG by Leading Edge, it’s notable because the main focus of it is doing stuff OTHER than dealing with Aliens. The core rules are focused around rank-and-file Colonial Marines, but it has some secondary rules for if you wanted to play a private military contractor, corporate employee (and not necessarily a WY employee), etc.

Apparently the nuts and bolts gameplay mechanics were clunky and convoluted and not fun to play, but hey it’s a thing that exists. v:shobon:v

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Probably the earliest Doom/Doom 2 mod that's still worth playing is the Aliens Total Conversion.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Pneub posted:

Probably the earliest Doom/Doom 2 mod that's still worth playing is the Aliens Total Conversion.
If I played the correct one, that was probably one of the best mods available for Doom at the time. Whoever did that put in a lot of quality work on graphics and sound clips.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I know I'll probably be considered scrub-tier for this but I've been playing on Switch and holy poo poo now I understand the frenzy of this thread. It's the spirit of the original Doom with the right amount of modern flourishes layered in to make it captivating for the era.

I'm at the Kadangir Sanctum and just saw my 1st Baron. I remember a long time ago reading some magazine or official Doom documentation that read like "Big as a Dump Truck and hits just as hard!" Now those drat things finally live up to that and it's terrifying seeing 2 of those fuckers going full sprint at me.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ProjektorBoy posted:

I know I'll probably be considered scrub-tier for this but I've been playing on Switch and holy poo poo now I understand the frenzy of this thread. It's the spirit of the original Doom with the right amount of modern flourishes layered in to make it captivating for the era.

I'm at the Kadangir Sanctum and just saw my 1st Baron. I remember a long time ago reading some magazine or official Doom documentation that read like "Big as a Dump Truck and hits just as hard!" Now those drat things finally live up to that and it's terrifying seeing 2 of those fuckers going full sprint at me.

And on top of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRuTYtSbJQ

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

More like rip-and-tier :smugmrgw:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ProjektorBoy posted:

Don't ever apologize for playing DOOM. Don't you dare.

Also, caring about platforms is analogous to racism in America, for the following reasons

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

4K patch for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro coming tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/978993945568071680

Don't know if it's full native 4K or dynamic resolution that tries to hit 4K (or how well the frame rate holds up, currently it's pretty much a perfect 60 fps at 1080p on Xbone X), but still pretty cool and certainly much better than anything my ancient PC is capable of.

edit: also there's no shame in playing Doom on the Switch, that port may have some downgrades but it's still really goddamn impressive

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Don't ever apologize for playing DOOM. Don't you dare.

Also, caring about platforms is analogous to racism in America, for the following reasons

The only reason I even care about platforms is that I think KB+M is the better control scheme but playing on a controller is still fine just because the game is so well designed it can work with both control schemes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

AnEdgelord posted:

The only reason I even care about platforms is that I think KB+M is the better control scheme but playing on a controller is still fine just because the game is so well designed it can work with both control schemes.

One control scheme has been around longer, yes.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Anyone know what the recent update on steam was all about?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lazer Monkey posted:

Anyone know what the recent update on steam was all about?
No patch notes yet, but it adds a "4K Update" news link to the main menu so I'm guessing it adds whatever optimisations etc. were done to the code for the 4K resolution support on the Pro/X consoles.

EDIT: PC Patch adds Razer Chroma effects:

The Kins fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 30, 2018

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
As perfect for Doom as NIN's riffs were for Quake! A lot of familiar with a touch of the surreal. The music cues in Doom have all been incredibly well placed and enhance the atmosphere.

Doom music hasn't been this good since the insanely creepy ambiance of Doom 64.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you haven't seen Mick Gordon's GDC talk about DOOMs music then I highly recommend that you do.
I don't know poo poo about music myself but the dude is very entertaining and it was very interesting to hear about his thought process when it came to coming up with DOOMs music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ProjektorBoy posted:

As perfect for Doom as NIN's riffs were for Quake! A lot of familiar with a touch of the surreal. The music cues in Doom have all been incredibly well placed and enhance the atmosphere.

Doom music hasn't been this good since the insanely creepy ambiance of Doom 64.

Doom 64's music was fairly creative too, one of the later levels music was done entirely by recording a bee in a soda can and then altering the pitch and frequency of the sound.

Poor bee though :(

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Doom 64's music was fairly creative too, one of the later levels music was done entirely by recording a bee in a soda can and then altering the pitch and frequency of the sound.

Poor bee though :(

gently caress bees

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

GutBomb posted:

gently caress bees

Oh come on bees are nowhere near as bad as geese.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

GutBomb posted:

gently caress bees

Bees are our friends. Wasps on the other hand can go extinct for all I care.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

GutBomb posted:

gently caress bees

This is terrible advice

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GutBomb posted:

gently caress bees

My friend, I think you're greatly underestimating the importance of bees.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The importance of having sexual relations with bees is quite well established, actually. It is a very hip thing to do.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
would you rather fight a doomguy-sized bee or a swarm of bee-sized doomguys

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tollymain posted:

Even a single bee-sized doomguy would most likely still find a way to marvel and the size of my guts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Doomguy sized bee.

Exo-skeleton would probably collapse due to the square cube law, and even if it didn't, I could get a new spleen from someone who liked to ride motorcycles.

One Doomguy, even the size of a bee, would be much less safe. A swarm of them would be ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

It's hip to gently caress bees