Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

Strobe posted:

The idea of baiting out couterspells in WH40K feels.... wrong.

It's funny you say this because this used to be a core part of magic phase in WHFB pre-8th edition with scrolls of dispell.
So much so that non-magic armies would take a chump hero just to carry two scrolls to have *something* for the big bad spells.
And the first few turns of any match with a magic heavy army was to try and bait these out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DancingShade posted:

You know I'm surprised they don't have some pariahs/blanks on the space marine training program like they do with librarians. Seems like that might be useful.

That was the original fluff for my Regal Skulls chapter, then it became that they were a failed experiment by Cawl to introduce the Pariah gene into SM geneseed, now I have no idea what the background is because I am too busy painting to even think about it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I just bought 20 Skitarii.

Thanqol, go into sales.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I got really bored last night.

Needs some tidying up, some greenstuff on the robes, considering replacing the axe-head with a Necron blade and maybe adding a few more cables, but I'm shocked just how well everything mashed together.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Thanqol posted:

AdMech is good. Buy in.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Thanqol, go into sales.

Seriously. I'd been considering starting an AdMech/Knights army since forgebane first appeared, and had persuaded myself not to until reading that post.

Now to find someone willing to buy the necron half of the box...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

I can't deal with that one guy because he looks like a Bob's Burgers character and is kind of annoying. Why would you choose to have that mustache and hair?

Mister Bone is a treasure, you take that back.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SteelMentor posted:

Needs some tidying up, some greenstuff on the robes, considering replacing the axe-head with a Necron blade and maybe adding a few more cables, but I'm shocked just how well everything mashed together.

What’s the body? Looks like one of those old Khemri models.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Necron Wraith tail. I considered using a TK stalker tail but they’re loving huge and rarer than hens teeth now.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Thanqol, go into sales.

I've shifted my planning entirely from trying to pick up one of the big box sets of Guard to doing the Start Collecting box for Admech in no small part because of his post

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SteelMentor posted:

Necron Wraith tail. I considered using a TK stalker tail but they’re loving huge and rarer than hens teeth now.

My son ended up giving in and bought a set of 3 to do a Fulgrim conversion- I think he’s abandoned the project though, leaving 2 of those other things just gathering dust (guess he learned that habit from me)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SteelMentor posted:

What about using age of sigmar "Melusai Blood Stalkers" snake bodies / tails with standard mechanicus or leftover necron upper bodies? Claim they're dark mechanicus.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

It’s a weekend in which most of us will fall back to painting in order to escape the Easter dinner devolution into political arguments, and yet I’m still greeted with this:

I need my badcast fix

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

DancingShade posted:

What about using age of sigmar "Melusai Blood Stalkers" snake bodies / tails with standard mechanicus or leftover necron upper bodies? Claim they're dark mechanicus.

Would work better as a jacked up Skitarii unit perhaps, due to the scale of the Snek Ladies, but my bois are regular ol' Mechanicus.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SteelMentor posted:

What did you use?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What did you use?

Body and arms looks like a Tech-priest Dominus, head and hourglass is from the Empire Battlemage or whatever it's called, and a Wraith tail. It's really cool SteelMentor, appropriately loving weird.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah that's a pretty cool bash. I dig cawl-style "barely even human" mechanicum designs, and that gives those vibes off perfectly.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I want a "moment of apotheosis" Fulgrim conversion where his boys are jamming his rear end in a top hat full of gems

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
After Adepticon I've been fiending so hard for more warhammer and I can't wait for this FAQ so that I can theory hammer on it for weeks.

Speaking of which, my girlfriend reminded me of why this is a terrible hobby filled with terrible people. While I was playing my third game of the GT, a friend came to see how it was going. While she was watching the game another guy, about 15-20 years older, came up and told her she was "the prettiest girl in the tournament" said something else and then asked if he could get a picture with her.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hixson posted:

I want a "moment of apotheosis" Fulgrim conversion where his boys are jamming his rear end in a top hat full of gems

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

Ok you're going to want a blood bowl ogre, likely third party so you can find one bent over for a ball pass, ideally naked. Hacksaw off the top and superglue Fulgrim's upper body on. Then you're going to want marines in heavy weapon poses but with shovels or giant hypodermics. Then lots of scenic base rocks, metallic paint and glitter.

Once complete enjoy explaining your modelling decisions to your fellow gamers every match.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DancingShade posted:

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

Ok you're going to want a blood bowl ogre, likely third party so you can find one bent over for a ball pass, ideally naked. Hacksaw off the top and superglue Fulgrim's upper body on. Then you're going to want marines in heavy weapon poses but with shovels or giant hypodermics. Then lots of scenic base rocks, metallic paint and glitter.

Once complete enjoy explaining your modelling decisions to your fellow gamers every match.

What’s to explain? Sounds hot as gently caress.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Seems like it would be easier to just get a really fat/bloated snake model and drill a cloaca near the bottom for the gem-serfs to fist rubies into.

Or you could do both, Slaanesh seems like the kinda gal who'd just toss every hole-based genitalia on her favorite toy/primarch.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Seems like it would be easier to just get a really fat/bloated snake model and drill a cloaca near the bottom for the gem-serfs to fist rubies into.

He didn’t become a snake until after his rear end in a top hat was punished with gems though, so that approach wouldn’t be fluff-accurate.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

tallkidwithglasses posted:

He didn’t become a snake until after his rear end in a top hat was punished with gems though, so that approach wouldn’t be fluff-accurate.

Ah drat, me and my scrub-tier lore knowledge.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

It says something about 40k lore that I can't tell if Fulgrim getting fisted with gems is a joke or not.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Corrode posted:

It says something about 40k lore that I can't tell if Fulgrim getting fisted with gems is a joke or not.

It's not and it's also not the worst sexiest thing he's done.

There's some fanart if you want.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I don’t think the marines fisted him per se, it was more like an anal beads thing except the beads were gems that made him a demon prince when his prostate was stimulated enough.

Considering how deep into slaanesh he was, it took a lot of stimulation! :D

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Fulgrim's Hole was a documentary.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I don’t think the marines fisted him per se, it was more like an anal beads thing except the beads were gems that made him a demon prince when his prostate was stimulated enough.

Considering how deep into slaanesh he was, it took a lot of stimulation! :D

Nothin wrong with a little anal torture play with your dad

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ironically enough Citadel has never sold these jewel-like objects of magic and wonder themselves

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Ironically enough Citadel has never sold these jewel-like objects of magic and wonder themselves

You can make your own by fusing together a bunch of old sprues and bits with super glue.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

They’re giving us time to warm up with our Citadel Painting Handles first.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Crini posted:

They'd be Cadian, I need to mark that in Battle Scribe.

Most of my decisions here are based on the things I think are cool, which might not be the best way to serve the Emperor. Plasma pistols are cool, Basilisks & mortars are cool, etc.

My main thought for the force would be to sit back and shoot at everything with everything in the beginning, allow the massed firepower to take care of the enemy since the Guard can't stand up to charges.. I was thinking of walking the special weapons guys behind the tanks, slowly, after the carnage cleared to try and take objectives. Really the tanks, the special weapons squad, and the one infantry squad with no heavy weapon would be my 'mobile' options. I could also use the Commander & Psyker that way also. The rest of the force would just be a static fire base.

Am I overdoing the firepower and not allowing enough mobile options? I could add a Chimera or maybe some Sentinals to give my force some more mobility.

You're putting way too many expensive weapons on dudes or tanks that come with a 4+ BS.

A plasma pistol is a straight up waste of points on a company commander.

Special weapons squads are hot garbage. They're 6 wounds at T3 with a 5+. Ditch them, as they'll be shot the gently caress up before they can fire. Conversely you can get a Chimera to protect 2 squads at once, but they still need a nearby commander to be truly effective. I'd go with command squads instead. Fewer models, but BS 3+. You'd need to add another platoon commander to get 2 of them, but if you get rid of all those vox casters you'd have enough points for it.

Guard squads are good at 2 things: screening and not posing enough of a threat to get shot at. Drop the casters, heavy bolters, and grenade launchers. Cadians with mortars are pretty good, but flamers are the best choice for mobile guard squads. Remember, the enemy will always want to close with you. Also, pick one. You don't need to have both heavy and special weapons in your squads. If a squad is gonna sit back and hold an objective, give it a mortar. If it is going to move forward and find an objective to grab, give it a flamer.

Put more guns on your tank commander, and less expensive guns on your regular Russ. That lascannon will never hit. It might on the commander, though. Heavy bolters are the best option for your regular Russ. The case could be made for plasma sponsons, but they're pretty pricey for a tank that will be hitting with them on a 5+ half the time. You might think that you'll never have to move your Russ, but you are wrong. It will need to move when you run out of infantry, which you will because you only have 4 squads.

Basilisks are good.

Biggest piece of advice, though: try and get a Brigade in at 1000 points. You'll have so many models that the opponent won't know what to do. You'll also have a billion loving command points, and AM CPs are really loving good. Guard shine at low points, and if you can shoehorn fucktons of CPs in there, then you're in business.

Here's an example:
HQ
Company Commander – 30
Primaris Psyker – 46 (Nightshroud, Psychic Barrier)
Primaris Psyker – 46 (Nightshroud, the "ignore morale" power [I forget what it's called])

Elites
Command squad w/ 4 plasma guns – 76
Platoon Commander - 20
Astropath – 30 (Psychic Maelstrom, because his smite is only on 1d6)

Troops
Infantry Squad w/ flamer – 47

Fast Attack
Scout Sentinel w/ autocannon – 47

Heavy Support
MBT w/ 3 heavy bolters – 176
HW Squad w/ 3 mortars - 33
HW Squad w/ 3 mortars - 33

Dedicated Transport
Chimera w/ 2 heavy bolters - 91

Total: 993

Boom. That's a mean little guard list. And a very good starter for the rest of your army.

The Sex Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 31, 2018

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

One other thing about infantry squads. A lot of more competitive lists will have a heavy weapon in there, but that's more because some tournaments have a rule where you get more points for wiping out a 10+ model unit. The heavy weapon team turns the infantry squad into 8 regular guardsmen and a single model heavy weapons team that represents two guardsmen. It's basically a way to game scoring.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

One other thing about infantry squads. A lot of more competitive lists will have a heavy weapon in there, but that's more because some tournaments have a rule where you get more points for wiping out a 10+ model unit. The heavy weapon team turns the infantry squad into 8 regular guardsmen and a single model heavy weapons team that represents two guardsmen. It's basically a way to game scoring.

That's amazingly dumb. So it makes perfect sense.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Just scouts and guilliman left to paint, but the beeps of war call to me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Drukhari poo poo up for pre-order

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Artum posted:

Just scouts and guilliman left to paint, but the beeps of war call to me.

Any plans for the necron half of forgebane?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TWSS posted:

Any plans for the necron half of forgebane?

Split it on purchase im afraid, paid slightly over half to keep everything but the 'crons.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

The pro tier AdMech army patch is to ally in Greyfax and three assassins of your choice, my preference is 2 evesors and a culexius. Gives you the most hardcore anti-psychic defense out of anyone, mobility your army won't get easily elsewhere, the lack of synergies for the assassins is great because of the earlier mentioned tight firebase problem and is incredibly fluffy to boot. And the threat of having three assassins hangin' out in deep strike provokes an incredibly paranoid style of movement from your opponent as a nice bonus.

This is perfect, thanks. Gonna work this into my tournament list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Mango Polo posted:

It's not and it's also not the worst sexiest thing he's done.

There's some fanart if you want.

What book was this in