Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I didn't mean to sound like I was nitpicking over weapons or trying to be a spreadsheet master. I just really like Large Lasers in introtech and wanted to talk about them and why I prefer them over PPCs. They're both good weapons and honestly the problems some PPC-using mechs in introtech have isn't that they use PPCs but they they make other... questionable decisions. Like deciding to spend 9 tons on an AC/5+ammo instead of properly armoring the mech and having enough heat sinks, looking at you Marauder and Warhammer :argh: Those would be problematic regardless of what weapon you're using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

PPC vs Large Laser is just another instance of the age-old debate: Style vs Pure Pragmatism. Style will always win, of course, because cool things are cool.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shoeless posted:

I didn't mean to sound like I was nitpicking over weapons or trying to be a spreadsheet master. I just really like Large Lasers in introtech and wanted to talk about them and why I prefer them over PPCs. They're both good weapons and honestly the problems some PPC-using mechs in introtech have isn't that they use PPCs but they they make other... questionable decisions. Like deciding to spend 9 tons on an AC/5+ammo instead of properly armoring the mech and having enough heat sinks, looking at you Marauder and Warhammer :argh: Those would be problematic regardless of what weapon you're using.

I assure you I am no stranger to such thoughts. Even if I no longer can say, recognize armored core 3 weapon types and company manufactures just from their serial numbers :spergin: I expect I shall be obsessing about every individual ton like everyone else when BTech gets released. If probably making worse decisions than most.

But at least there is always the ultimate fallback for designing killer robots in any franchise.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

PPC vs Large Laser is just another instance of the age-old debate: Style vs Pure Pragmatism. Style will always win, of course, because cool things are cool.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HBS btech is looking so goddam sweet

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

PPC mixed with medium lasers/srms. 3+ tiles, PPC, 3 tiles or less, medium/srm. If i use large lasers, I gently caress my heat and end up over heating. 10 tons of weapon loadout, you can run off engine only heat sinks, and have 3 mediums and the ppc. 2 large lasers, slightly more damage at short range, 8x2 vs 5x3 but 7 more heat at 8x8 vs 3x3. If you need to alpha, accuracy hurts vs the large laser pair in the 4-5 range bracket, as well as heat being 19 vs 16, but you can bring a 25 point alpha vs the 16 of the large laser brace.

I'm bad with heat management, so locking out "no dont generate 22 heat this round in this brawl with your 2 LLs 2 MLs" as an option from myself saves my butt.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

PPC mixed with medium lasers/srms. 3+ tiles, PPC, 3 tiles or less, medium/srm. If i use large lasers, I gently caress my heat and end up over heating. 10 tons of weapon loadout, you can run off engine only heat sinks, and have 3 mediums and the ppc. 2 large lasers, slightly more damage at short range, 8x2 vs 5x3 but 7 more heat at 8x8 vs 3x3. If you need to alpha, accuracy hurts vs the large laser pair in the 4-5 range bracket, as well as heat being 19 vs 16, but you can bring a 25 point alpha vs the 16 of the large laser brace.

I'm bad with heat management, so locking out "no dont generate 22 heat this round in this brawl with your 2 LLs 2 MLs" as an option from myself saves my butt.

Might I suggest playing with the Chameleon sometime? It's in-universe designed to teach pilots good heat management!

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
While theoretically Large Lasers have the edge over PPCs just by raw stats, things change quite a bit when you pause and consider the actual 'Mechs in the game. There are a surprising number of designs in the game that could eat 1/2/3 LL hits in a single location and not even breach, but eating the same number of PPCs hits will result in punching a hole through their armor and forcing a crit check.

So yes, mathmatically, LLs are better, but in actual practice, that extra 2 damage done by the PPCs can swing the game in your favor by putting down 'Mechs faster through faster armor breaches, and thereby getting to the point where every hit has a chance to knock out a critical system quicker.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I love the minutiae of balance like that. Enough armour to take two large laser hits, but not two PPC hits.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

As a bit of a thought experiment I'd like to share, I decided to compare the PPC vs the Large Laser in practical terms rather than just in mathematical ones. For this, I am going to be taking the role of a Kurita player, and I am faced with a choice concerning my basic trooper 'Mechs of the Kuritan faction, the Panther. I could swap out their PPCs for Large Lasers and extra heat sinks, which is the more mathematically correct choice, but before I do, I decide to take a moment to compare how the LL fares vs the PPC against Light and Medium 'Mechs I'd face from one of the kuritan's chief opponents, the Davions, in a 3025 setting.

Common 'Mechs I might face from the Davion faction includes the Valkyrie, the Centurion, the Enforcer, and the Dervish, and just for the heck of it, I throw in the Locust, the Phoenix Hawk, and the Shadow Hawk, since those things are /everywhere/.

First off, the Valkyrie, the Davion's go to choice for Light 'Mechs: 6 tons of armor gives the Valkyrie some decent protection, however I compare the armor levels on each part of the 'Mech against the damage for the LL and PPC. I find that both can penetrate the Valk's armor in two shots, save for the arms, which the PPC can do in just one. You'd think this would make it even, right? Nope, because then I compare how much damage each part can soak up before being blown off entirely, and I find that both the side torsos and the legs can soak 2 LL hits and keep functioning, while the PPC would sheer both of those off with a double tap. PPC: 1, LL: 0

Next up, the Centurion. Again I compare armor levels, and find that the Cent is well armored enough to eat two LL hits in every location save for the side torsos. Granted, the arms and legs would be stripped of armor, but they wouldn't be touched otherwise. The PPC on the other can can not only strips, but penetrate the armor of a Centurion and deal internal damage on every location, meaning I'd get some crit chances. More importantly, 3 PPC shots to any location save the CT will blow that section off, where as the LL would require 4 everywhere except the arms. PPC: 2, LL: 0

'Mech #3, the Enforcer. The Enforcer has more armor than the Cent, and frontloads that armor to boot, so it is much more hardy in a face to face slugfest. LLs can only penetrate the arms in 2 shots, PPCs can penetrate the arms and torso in 2, and strip the legs of armor entirely in 2. Sadly, because of how frontloaded the Enforcer is, there's no difference between the # of shots needed to destroy a location, save for the side torsos, which can just baaaaarely be knocked out in 3 PPCs vs 4 LLs. PPC: 3, LL: 0

Dervish, Davion's designated support fire Medium 'Mech. Kind of thinly armored, and there's basically no difference in # of shots to penetrate, both can punch through just fine, so again it comes down to # shots to destroy. PPC can destroy arms in 2, legs and side torsos in 3. LL can't. PPC: 4, LL: 0

Now for the Locust, all locations can be shot clean off in 2 shots from either weapon, but the PPC can penetrate legs and side torsos where as the LL just strips the armor off. To note though: The Davions also have a version of the Locust armed with LRMs, but this version is so heeeeelaaaaariously underarmored that it's basically a joke. I'm gonna give this a half point, just for how squishy the Locust is in general. PPC: 4.5, LL: 0.5

How for the P. Hawk. Armor on the arms and legs are thin enough for both weapons to penetrate in 2 shots, but the side torso needs 3 shots for the LL and 2 for the PPC. Again, the PPC is able to dismember in fewer shots than the LL. Further more, the PPC is a garrenteed headcap due to the lovely armor on the P. Hawk's face, where as the LL penetrates, but does not decapitate. PPC: 5.5, LL: 0.5

Finally, the Shithawk. Once again we find that the S. Hawk has just enough armor on all its parts to soak up two LL hits without damaging the internal structure, while only being able to do the same for the PPC in its CT. the PPC can also rip off the S. Hawk's arms and legs in 3 shots where as the LL needs 4.

Final tally, PPC: 6.5, LL: 0.5. Despite being mathematically superior to a PPC, the Large Laser ends up losing out in the end in my theoretical Kuritan vs Davion scenario, since the PPC is both better able to penetrate the armor on common Davion designs, and better able to dismember. Amazing what a little 2 damage difference is capable of.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Large Laser gets +1 to hit. PPC causes -1 to hit for all weapons on the target.

We also don't know what the different manufacturer upgrades are going to be.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

DatonKallandor posted:

Large Laser gets +1 to hit. PPC causes -1 to hit for all weapons on the target.

We also don't know what the different manufacturer upgrades are going to be.

PPC does one pip stability damage to the LLs zero, which is a big deal

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.

sebmojo posted:

HBS btech is looking so goddam sweet

I'm only planning on going thru all 4 streamers in an attempt to hurry up the 24th.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Rorahusky posted:

Final tally, PPC: 6.5, LL: 0.5. Despite being mathematically superior to a PPC, the Large Laser ends up losing out in the end in my theoretical Kuritan vs Davion scenario, since the PPC is both better able to penetrate the armor on common Davion designs, and better able to dismember. Amazing what a little 2 damage difference is capable of.

This is fabulous! My god, man. Transformers, Warhammer 40k, and now BattleTech too? Is there anything you can't manage?

So, what I understand from this is, that the PPC is better because it can outright penetrate a location quicker than a Large Laser, is that correct?

Aren't there any other weapons that can do the same things?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

painedforever posted:

Aren't there any other weapons that can do the same things?

Actually, no. In this tech level, the only weapons that can do that are the PPC and the AC10. The AC10 has shorter range (5/10/15 rather than 6/12/18), is much larger (7 crits vs 3) and weighs vastly more (12+ammo vs 7). Plus, y'know, ammo limitations. It generates less heat, but is otherwise wholly inferior in every way.

Other than that, you've got nothing else. AC20s are a wildly different beast, and LRM/SRMs spread their damage around.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tempest_56 posted:

Actually, no. In this tech level, the only weapons that can do that are the PPC and the AC10. The AC10 has shorter range (5/10/15 rather than 6/12/18), is much larger (7 crits vs 3) and weighs vastly more (12+ammo vs 7). Plus, y'know, ammo limitations. It generates less heat, but is otherwise wholly inferior in every way.

Other than that, you've got nothing else. AC20s are a wildly different beast, and LRM/SRMs spread their damage around.

I'll eat my hat if there isn't a Star League cache in the plot that has an irreplaceable gauss rifle or two as the reward.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm so used to IS2 as a baseline that this discussion struck me as extremely quaint

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Remember Beta 1 when the AC10 did the same damage as Tabletop Gauss Rifle? Good times. Urbies headcapping from the fog was hilarious!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rygar201 posted:

Remember Beta 1 when the AC10 did the same damage as Tabletop Gauss Rifle? Good times. Urbies headcapping from the fog was hilarious!

Reminder that somewhere out there in this LP is a very angry Dispossessed who lost his precious Griffin to an Urbie meleeing him.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Rorahusky posted:

[things]

The problem with this, as I see it, is that you're putting it as just "PPC vs Large Laser" which doesn't address the benefits gained by saving those 2 tons. Of course the PPC wins out in damage. But the point is that with the Large Laser you save tonnage and heat that can go towards something else. For that Panther example, you could have a Large Laser and 2 Medium Lasers, to add to your short range armament. The Panther already has 13 heat sinks so it doesn't really need more; you can run and fire the LL and Mlas and only overheat by 3, and that's 18 damage total. Spread around, sure, but since your examples all assumed hitting the same location over the course of multiple game turns I don't see that as an issue. This is also ignoring the heat issues that several PPC-using mechs in Introtech have, which are easily remedied by swapping to Large Lasers and using the tonnage in other ways *cough*Marauder*cough*.

I guess what I'm saying is, you're talking about the practical applications but you leave out what the mech gains by swapping to a lighter, slightly less damaging weapon. Of course if you simply compare damage the Large Laser loses to the PPC, that's as simple as proving that 10>8. It's what you do with the 2 tons you save that's important. Whether that be more weapons, armor, speed, heat management, those are the advantages you have for using a Large Laser in place of a PPC. And that's far more difficult to quantify in terms of "better or worse" because every mech could use the tonnage differently. some like the Marauder need armor desperately, while the Panther would benefit from more go-fast (it would take 2 tons to up the Panther to 5/8 from 4/6! And in the tabletop the TMM benefits of 5/8 compared to 4/6 are huge) and the Awesome... well the Awesome would be pretty similar, still a big hunk of Does Not Die throwing out damage. You could even put in 4 Large Lasers for the weight of the 3 PPCs and have enough left over for an extra Heat Sink.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rorahusky posted:

As a bit of a thought experiment I'd like to share, I decided to compare the PPC vs the Large Laser in practical terms rather than just in mathematical ones. For this, I am going to be taking the role of a Kurita player, and I am faced with a choice concerning my basic trooper 'Mechs of the Kuritan faction, the Panther. I could swap out their PPCs for Large Lasers and extra heat sinks, which is the more mathematically correct choice, but before I do, I decide to take a moment to compare how the LL fares vs the PPC against Light and Medium 'Mechs I'd face from one of the kuritan's chief opponents, the Davions, in a 3025 setting.

Common 'Mechs I might face from the Davion faction includes the Valkyrie, the Centurion, the Enforcer, and the Dervish, and just for the heck of it, I throw in the Locust, the Phoenix Hawk, and the Shadow Hawk, since those things are /everywhere/.

First off, the Valkyrie, the Davion's go to choice for Light 'Mechs: 6 tons of armor gives the Valkyrie some decent protection, however I compare the armor levels on each part of the 'Mech against the damage for the LL and PPC. I find that both can penetrate the Valk's armor in two shots, save for the arms, which the PPC can do in just one. You'd think this would make it even, right? Nope, because then I compare how much damage each part can soak up before being blown off entirely, and I find that both the side torsos and the legs can soak 2 LL hits and keep functioning, while the PPC would sheer both of those off with a double tap. PPC: 1, LL: 0

Next up, the Centurion. Again I compare armor levels, and find that the Cent is well armored enough to eat two LL hits in every location save for the side torsos. Granted, the arms and legs would be stripped of armor, but they wouldn't be touched otherwise. The PPC on the other can can not only strips, but penetrate the armor of a Centurion and deal internal damage on every location, meaning I'd get some crit chances. More importantly, 3 PPC shots to any location save the CT will blow that section off, where as the LL would require 4 everywhere except the arms. PPC: 2, LL: 0

'Mech #3, the Enforcer. The Enforcer has more armor than the Cent, and frontloads that armor to boot, so it is much more hardy in a face to face slugfest. LLs can only penetrate the arms in 2 shots, PPCs can penetrate the arms and torso in 2, and strip the legs of armor entirely in 2. Sadly, because of how frontloaded the Enforcer is, there's no difference between the # of shots needed to destroy a location, save for the side torsos, which can just baaaaarely be knocked out in 3 PPCs vs 4 LLs. PPC: 3, LL: 0

Dervish, Davion's designated support fire Medium 'Mech. Kind of thinly armored, and there's basically no difference in # of shots to penetrate, both can punch through just fine, so again it comes down to # shots to destroy. PPC can destroy arms in 2, legs and side torsos in 3. LL can't. PPC: 4, LL: 0

Now for the Locust, all locations can be shot clean off in 2 shots from either weapon, but the PPC can penetrate legs and side torsos where as the LL just strips the armor off. To note though: The Davions also have a version of the Locust armed with LRMs, but this version is so heeeeelaaaaariously underarmored that it's basically a joke. I'm gonna give this a half point, just for how squishy the Locust is in general. PPC: 4.5, LL: 0.5

How for the P. Hawk. Armor on the arms and legs are thin enough for both weapons to penetrate in 2 shots, but the side torso needs 3 shots for the LL and 2 for the PPC. Again, the PPC is able to dismember in fewer shots than the LL. Further more, the PPC is a garrenteed headcap due to the lovely armor on the P. Hawk's face, where as the LL penetrates, but does not decapitate. PPC: 5.5, LL: 0.5

Finally, the Shithawk. Once again we find that the S. Hawk has just enough armor on all its parts to soak up two LL hits without damaging the internal structure, while only being able to do the same for the PPC in its CT. the PPC can also rip off the S. Hawk's arms and legs in 3 shots where as the LL needs 4.

While that's a great example, I would note that single weapon Mechs like the Panther are the ideal use case for the largest gun. (If I were refitting an l1 tech panther id replace the SRM4 first)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shoeless posted:

The problem with this, as I see it, is that you're putting it as just "PPC vs Large Laser" which doesn't address the benefits gained by saving those 2 tons. Of course the PPC wins out in damage. But the point is that with the Large Laser you save tonnage and heat that can go towards something else. For that Panther example, you could have a Large Laser and 2 Medium Lasers, to add to your short range armament. The Panther already has 13 heat sinks so it doesn't really need more; you can run and fire the LL and Mlas and only overheat by 3, and that's 18 damage total. Spread around, sure, but since your examples all assumed hitting the same location over the course of multiple game turns I don't see that as an issue. This is also ignoring the heat issues that several PPC-using mechs in Introtech have, which are easily remedied by swapping to Large Lasers and using the tonnage in other ways *cough*Marauder*cough*.

I guess what I'm saying is, you're talking about the practical applications but you leave out what the mech gains by swapping to a lighter, slightly less damaging weapon. Of course if you simply compare damage the Large Laser loses to the PPC, that's as simple as proving that 10>8. It's what you do with the 2 tons you save that's important. Whether that be more weapons, armor, speed, heat management, those are the advantages you have for using a Large Laser in place of a PPC. And that's far more difficult to quantify in terms of "better or worse" because every mech could use the tonnage differently. some like the Marauder need armor desperately, while the Panther would benefit from more go-fast (it would take 2 tons to up the Panther to 5/8 from 4/6! And in the tabletop the TMM benefits of 5/8 compared to 4/6 are huge) and the Awesome... well the Awesome would be pretty similar, still a big hunk of Does Not Die throwing out damage. You could even put in 4 Large Lasers for the weight of the 3 PPCs and have enough left over for an extra Heat Sink.

On the other hand, PPCs are prettier to see firing. Advantage: PPC.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, PPCs are prettier to see firing. Advantage: PPC.

Bah! One day you Rule of Cool Kids will be asleep at the wheel and I, the Function Over Form Fourumvitae, shall best you! Next time, Rule of Cool Kids, next tiiiime!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

The problem with this, as I see it, is that you're putting it as just "PPC vs Large Laser" which doesn't address the benefits gained by saving those 2 tons.

Of course, the Davion answer to the PPC is the AC/5 :v:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If I wanted to follow the in-universe rationale, then I would want to look at pairing the Panther up with the other Kuritan light mech, the Jenner- The Jenner's very fast and has no big guns, just medium lasers (and an SRM 4 if you pick the wrong Jenner and get the -D instead of F.)

It's an ideal mech for pairing with something that does have big hitters since it's fast enough (Especially in 3025 where only 7 mechs period are faster than a Jenner) to exploit the right firing angle that gives it best odds of hitting whatever section is damaged by heavier weapons fire.

But, the Panther as a 4/6 is way too slow to work well with Jenners, since that's the same speed as most heavies. You get a way better mech by keeping the PPC, stripping the SRM-4, bumping up the engine to a 5/8, and then either adding two small lasers or a single medium. That lets you out-pace almost any 3025 heavy, improves survivability, and retains the same close up damage output as the SRM.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gwaihir posted:

If I wanted to follow the in-universe rationale, then I would want to look at pairing the Panther up with the other Kuritan light mech, the Jenner- The Jenner's very fast and has no big guns, just medium lasers (and an SRM 4 if you pick the wrong Jenner and get the -D instead of F.)

It's an ideal mech for pairing with something that does have big hitters since it's fast enough (Especially in 3025 where only 7 mechs period are faster than a Jenner) to exploit the right firing angle that gives it best odds of hitting whatever section is damaged by heavier weapons fire.

But, the Panther as a 4/6 is way too slow to work well with Jenners, since that's the same speed as most heavies. You get a way better mech by keeping the PPC, stripping the SRM-4, bumping up the engine to a 5/8, and then either adding two small lasers or a single medium. That lets you out-pace almost any 3025 heavy, improves survivability, and retains the same close up damage output as the SRM.

The Panther isn't designed to work with Jenners, though. It's cheap fire support and garrison power. The Jenner's a recon mech.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I mean if we get in to the rationale (or rather the EXTREME LACK thereof) behind stock mech designs we'd vanish in to our own assholes so fast you'd blink and miss it.

I'm just going off the premise that Rorahusky was using, that the Panther is a Kuritan mech and is likely to work with other Kuritan mechs while facing off against Davions.

Like we don't care what the original panther design intent was, just that if we're playing as Kurita or doing contracts in their space or w/e then we're going to see Panthers and Jenners available and should worry about how you'd best use them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shoeless posted:

Bah! One day you Rule of Cool Kids will be asleep at the wheel and I, the Function Over Form Fourumvitae, shall best you! Next time, Rule of Cool Kids, next tiiiime!

TBH running a 3028 merc company in mekhq taught me a lot about the weaknesses of the canon IS1 PPC sniper mechs. With the notable exception of the Awesome, they're all dangerously fragile or run way too hot. For mediums I tend to downgrade PPCs to LLs and use the savings to add armor or heat sinks, while for heavies on up I try to cut something else to accommodate the PPCs and address armor and heat.

Running a merc company makes you appreciate how risky it is to run a unit with low armor and any breach is a cause for worry, since repairs can be costly in time and money, and even if spare parts are available it could days to arrive.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cythereal posted:

I'll eat my hat if there isn't a Star League cache in the plot that has an irreplaceable gauss rifle or two as the reward.

there are, they've been on screenshots - the ammo box also a distinct item, so you can get rewarded with only part of the things you need to use your Gauss Rifle, and Comstar help you if you get your ammo blown up

The brand differences are going to be huge for how you use the various weapons in the campaign too - we've seen LRMs with +1 damage per missile. That's a lot of extra damage on an LRM20.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

there are, they've been on screenshots - the ammo box also a distinct item, so you can get rewarded with only part of the things you need to use your Gauss Rifle, and Comstar help you if you get your ammo blown up

Are there? Whereabouts? I'd see the game files that listed the Gauss Rifle, but I haven't seen any screenshots of them.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I find that the higher the weight class you face in combat, the more important it is to have a weapon that can punch through a lot of armor in a single strike. A 'Mech mounting a lot of Medium Lasers would look drat scary to a Light or Medium 'Mech, but to an Atlas, he'd just eat all that damage, grin, and then casually blow you in half with an AC/20. It's why you tend to see PPCs, AC/10s, and AC/20s become the primary weapons of heavier 'Mechs over the statistically better Large and Medium Lasers, because sheer penetration is much more valuable the more armor your target has than efficiency. Unless you can start punching some holes in an Assault's hide and taking out underlying components to reduce his capabilities, efficient damage output won't mean much in the long run... especially if he has the ability to punch holes in your hide in return. Then it becomes a race to see if you can widdle him down with a Disco Rave Party before he blows entire chunks out of your 'Mech.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rorahusky posted:

I find that the higher the weight class you face in combat, the more important it is to have a weapon that can punch through a lot of armor in a single strike. A 'Mech mounting a lot of Medium Lasers would look drat scary to a Light or Medium 'Mech, but to an Atlas, he'd just eat all that damage, grin, and then casually blow you in half with an AC/20. It's why you tend to see PPCs, AC/10s, and AC/20s become the primary weapons of heavier 'Mechs over the statistically better Large and Medium Lasers, because sheer penetration is much more valuable the more armor your target has than efficiency. Unless you can start punching some holes in an Assault's hide and taking out underlying components to reduce his capabilities, efficient damage output won't mean much in the long run... especially if he has the ability to punch holes in your hide in return. Then it becomes a race to see if you can widdle him down with a Disco Rave Party before he blows entire chunks out of your 'Mech.

That's not really how things play out when you are doing things other than a 1v1 though. Tabletop games usually aren't focused on duels so you can afford to bring both types of mechs. And especially on campaigns, while, sure, AC20s can be nice, when you're dealing with L1 tech and lovely pilots that 5 shots per ton of ammo is lolliability.

The stock atlas is a particularly poor example since even with L1 tech you can build 5/8/5 mediums packed with MLs and enough sinks to fire them to the point where an atlas will have nightmares with a normal 4/5 pilot. Unless you sit still, you're going to be facing 11s to hit the mediums using your AC20, if you're given the chance to hit them at all. With only 10 shots total that's just a losing proposition.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well of course you don't bring a bunch of MLs to an Atlas, they have the same range brackets as the AC/20.

Atlases are intimidating but not terribly good and I would usually pass on them if they show up on the Unit Market.

I agree that big shot weapons are generally better, and all these calculations start being moot when you have DHS and a regular supply of long-range headcappers, but when picking out parts of a merc force for an AtB campaign I value survivability more than sheer raw firepower, especially since I can outplay the bot and am better at wearing it down more than it can me.

For assaults I usually prefer the Awesome, Stalker, or some variety of Battlemaster with the lasers pointing forward than an Atlas, and I admit I prefer having PPCs on heavier lances. But I can refit between contracts to account for the weaknesses of stock PPC heavies and mediums.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like, the PPC is absolutely a good gun but we shouldn't have to work this hard to defend other sound options in IS1 tech. PPCs beat AC20s (snipers chew up juggernauts pretty easily), MLs beat PPCs (strikers and fast cav close the distance easily on snipers and IS1 PPCs have min range), AC20s beat MLs (they share range brackets and I'm assuming you give your AC20 mech to your veteran pilot). Let's not pretend that PPCs are the be all end all in Introductory level tech.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Xarbala posted:

Like, the PPC is absolutely a good gun but we shouldn't have to work this hard to defend other sound options in IS1 tech. PPCs beat AC20s (snipers chew up juggernauts pretty easily), MLs beat PPCs (strikers and fast cav close the distance easily on snipers and IS1 PPCs have min range), AC20s beat MLs (they share range brackets and I'm assuming you give your AC20 mech to your veteran pilot). Let's not pretend that PPCs are the be all end all in Introductory level tech.

Man-Made Lightning!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My favorite IS assault in everything but looks would probably be the Stalker, but that's a hard mech to get looking good. I think MWO is the first and only game to make it look properly imposing.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Xarbala posted:

TBH running a 3028 merc company in mekhq taught me a lot about the weaknesses of the canon IS1 PPC sniper mechs. With the notable exception of the Awesome, they're all dangerously fragile or run way too hot.

But that's not true at all. Let's look at the canon IS1 mechs under 60t and with a PPC:

Panther: 104/119 armor, can shoot+full jump at heat +1.
Toro: 105/119 armor, can shoot+run at heat +2. (Heat +6 if you add both LRM5s)
Cicada: 64/137 armor, can shoot+run at heat +1.
Vindicator: 144/153 armor, can shoot+full jump at heat +1. (Heat +3 if you add in the LRM5)
Trebuchet (-7K): 120/169 armor, can shoot+run at heat +1. (Heat +2 if you add in the AC5)
Gladiator: 152/185 armor, can shoot+full jump at heat +2.
Griffin: 152/185 armor, can shoot+full jump at heat +3. (Heat +7 if you add the LRM10)
Hoplite: 184/185 armor, can shoot+run at heat +0. (Heat +1 if you add the LRM15)
Scorpion: 112/201 armor, can shoot+run at heat +2.
Shadow Hawk (-2K): 152/185 armor, can shoot+full jump at heat +0 (Heat +0 if you add the LRM5)

Your standards (Panther, Vindicator) are within 1 ton of max armor and barely overheat. The Griffin runs a little hot if you're going full speed, but that's not unmanagable and it's only 2t off from max. The Scorpion and Cicada are underarmored but both are specifically designed as fast movers and both run quite cool. And the rest are all either rare machines or oddball variants. And even then they don't fit your assertion.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's almost like weapons have trade offs and there's no one size fits all solution for every situation.

PPCs are definitely the coolest, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tempest_56 posted:

Your standards (Panther, Vindicator) are within 1 ton of max armor and barely overheat. The Griffin runs a little hot if you're going full speed, but that's not unmanagable and it's only 2t off from max. The Scorpion and Cicada are underarmored but both are specifically designed as fast movers and both run quite cool. And the rest are all either rare machines or oddball variants. And even then they don't fit your assertion.

The Cicada's also built as a Bug Hunter, and tends to come in "even faster than the bugs and armed just heavily enough" or "same speed, but enough guns to splatter the bugs" varieties. There's a reason I had Figment mention a Cicada 3C as her personal dream mech, given how many bugs this LP has been fighting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

But that's not true at all. Let's look at the canon IS1 mechs under 60t and with a PPC:

Panther: 104/119 armor, can shoot+full jump at heat +1.
Toro: 105/119 armor, can shoot+run at heat +2. (Heat +6 if you add both LRM5s)
Cicada: 64/137 armor, can shoot+run at heat +1.
Vindicator: 144/153 armor, can shoot+full jump at heat +1. (Heat +3 if you add in the LRM5)
Trebuchet (-7K): 120/169 armor, can shoot+run at heat +1. (Heat +2 if you add in the AC5)
Gladiator: 152/185 armor, can shoot+full jump at heat +2.
Griffin: 152/185 armor, can shoot+full jump at heat +3. (Heat +7 if you add the LRM10)
Hoplite: 184/185 armor, can shoot+run at heat +0. (Heat +1 if you add the LRM15)
Scorpion: 112/201 armor, can shoot+run at heat +2.
Shadow Hawk (-2K): 152/185 armor, can shoot+full jump at heat +0 (Heat +0 if you add the LRM5)

I guess I err on the side of caution because I'm wary of bringing a panther due to it being a slow light, and I shouldn't have those reservations about the vindicator in introtech campaigns but I do. Griffin 1Ns I like to take the lrm off , stick on some MLs and heatsinks, and add a ton of armor. I don't really like relying on ground mobility as a defense because I can't always roll unfavorable terrain away while a 5+ jump has fewer conditions to make work, even if I'm not always winning the th mod contest.

I realize a lot of my fears are based around Standard tech, which has a lot more answers to a high move mod and few real downsides to just shoving PPCs or headcappers on a thing, but I'm hoping to get a company surviving through to the clan invasion from the 4SW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Another point in the favor of big single weapons over lots of smaller ones is Breaching Shot. Yeah you'll do a ton of damage with Medium Lasers, but you can brace against that. A PPC or Large Laser though? That can get Breaching Shot and there's no defense.

• Locked thread