Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hihohe posted:

Cleaning the wound oughtta make it less likely to result in were beast if you ask me.

I mean, I'm picturing more "an actual use for the vestigial alchemy skill" or something. Dwarf Fortress already has a rudimentary tech tree that interacts with library zones, it just doesn't actually do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The solution to my dwarf axelord left to die was apparently to assign her to a new squad, station her, un-station her, and re-assign her back to her old squad. I tried all the mucking about with jobs, forbidding tons of stuff, etc. I found that solution mentioned years ago saying that somehow it fixes the job to pick up a wounded dwarf. In my case she just got up and walked away after I did that?

:shrug:

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 29, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
mostly my issue with weredwarves is that it's very annoying because when you get into a fight with a werebeast, afterwards you have to do something like...

go around checking for all the dwarves who have open wounds, then write down their names(or nickname them to keep track), then go into military screen and make a squad with them and make them stand somewhere where you can kill them(and you can't do this if they're too wounded to walk, which makes things more complicated)...

even by DF standards it's a huge hassle. especially early on where your dwarves are not skilled enough to reliably fight one of these without getting hit.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Serious lols at "Made dwarves visit museums properly"

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Between all the new chatter and the DF LP going on right now, I'm tempted to start up a game again so I can have Fun. Is LNP updated to the latest yet? If not, do we have any idea when it might get there?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Between all the new chatter and the DF LP going on right now, I'm tempted to start up a game again so I can have Fun. Is LNP updated to the latest yet? If not, do we have any idea when it might get there?

LNP is still on 0.44.05. I guess they are waiting for DFhack to get updated?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

mostly my issue with weredwarves is that it's very annoying because when you get into a fight with a werebeast, afterwards you have to do something like...

go around checking for all the dwarves who have open wounds, then write down their names(or nickname them to keep track), then go into military screen and make a squad with them and make them stand somewhere where you can kill them(and you can't do this if they're too wounded to walk, which makes things more complicated)...

even by DF standards it's a huge hassle. especially early on where your dwarves are not skilled enough to reliably fight one of these without getting hit.

Yeah I hate it. Werebeasts are an administrative nightmare and should come later in the game when you've had a chance to control the flow of bullshit traffic across your map

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If dwarves could determine who was infected by treating werebeast bite wounds or infected showed symptoms on their wound screen beyond the wound itself that alone would make it a lot less annoying.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah this is why we have diagnosis. Let a doctor look em over. If they're good at diagnosis and they catch it you get a little notification and get the option to treat it or to euthanize them.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hihohe posted:

Yeah this is why we have diagnosis. Let a doctor look em over. If they're good at diagnosis and they catch it you get a little notification and get the option to treat it or to euthanize them.

So is it like...

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
In worldgen werebeasts flee civilization and live in the wild, so I'd be down if your bitten dwarves just fled after the first transformation, maybe with some damage on the way out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that would also be 100% an improvement in my eyes. if it ended up being too easy there could be a chance they come back and attack later.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Or, yeah, banishments an okay option...

:smith:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It could give you the option to use jails/chains too. That’d be cool.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It'd be kinda neat if werecreatures had some sort of weakness or cure or whatever. Maybe some plant that's pretty common that could be gathered from the outside and made into a cure by a doctor. Chain a weredwarf up, give them whatever cure paste, they rage in the chains for a day or two, then they're cured and good to go. Good for those easy forest/meadow biomes, harder on glacier biomes, maybe elves could trade it?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

how do you do fellow kids
https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.44.08-alpha1

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

It'd be kinda neat if werecreatures had some sort of weakness or cure or whatever. Maybe some plant that's pretty common that could be gathered from the outside and made into a cure by a doctor. Chain a weredwarf up, give them whatever cure paste, they rage in the chains for a day or two, then they're cured and good to go. Good for those easy forest/meadow biomes, harder on glacier biomes, maybe elves could trade it?

Itd be cool to have an alchemy system that includes cures made of plant and animal extracts and whatnot that can be researched in the library or by conducting experiments on prisoners by giving them concoctions. Maybe even have something like the magic potion from asterix where your dwarves can punch goblins so they fly into the sky. Actually that would be just the kind of thing Toady would implement so who knows

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Itd be cool to have an alchemy system that includes cures made of plant and animal extracts and whatnot that can be researched in the library or by conducting experiments on prisoners by giving them concoctions. Maybe even have something like the magic potion from asterix where your dwarves can punch goblins so they fly into the sky. Actually that would be just the kind of thing Toady would implement so who knows

Would probably come with the magic system

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, the magic system arc is a huge swath of crazy poo poo that Toady wants for his stories (in one of the more famous example stories he wants DF to be able to emulate, a Dwarf survives a ride through a dragon's digestive system thanks to a magical ring that provides breathing and acid resistance, because wtf ToadyOne), so it's probably going to take a while and it's probably going to add a LOT of weird poo poo even if it gets truncated a bit like the military arc did.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I really want it to have like procedurally generated recipes made of different ingredients that have random effects directly at the level of code. So like, if you give a potion made of three parts plump helmet and one part ibex man extract or some poo poo the creature's weight increases by a factor of 10, or its size, or its material changes to something weird, or it gains a [flying] tag, or it just flat out explodes or something. I'm thinking of the Asterix movie where Panoramix gets whacked on the head and loses his memory and they try to recreate the magic potion recipe by experimenting on a roman soldier. That'd be pretty cool.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

neogeo0823 posted:

I swear there was talk of weaknesses back in the day. Or maybe it was just a fever dream.

In folklore werewolves are especially vulnerable to silver. But this is DF so it wasn't going to be every lycanthrope is vulnerable to silver, no, every curse would have it's own vulnerability. Weretortise might be vulnerable to copper, while werehyena would be vulnerable to feather wood, and of course this would all be rolled up fresh each time during worldgen. So the only way to prepare would be to use a wide variety of materials in your weapons, and then see if a given were type seems to be hurt more by the Feather Wood Training Spear than the Steel Short Sword.

But of course the whole thing was pointless, because a world rarely has a problem with a single type of werecreature. You won't get attacked by a werepengiun and then years later another werepenguin attacks. After the first werepenguin you won't ever see another one unless it is a member of your own fort turning.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Simulating the world slightly more finely would destroy werecreatures as they are now. Most of the month they are a normal humanoid. A naked, unarmed humanoid at least part of the time. Even assuming other magical creatures avoid them, surely they would be taken down by badgers or something within a few months. :iit:

The only reason they are such a nuisance in fort mode is that everyone immediately forgets they are the werewolf. You shouldn't have to tell the military to keep attacking even once the monster turns back into a naked person.
"Come on, men! We've got the beast trapped in this blind mineshaft. Charge! Oh, wait, nevermind. Looks like it got away. No one down here except good old Urist the Exhibitionist, running around with no jumper again."

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Werecreatures have material weaknesses (or at least they can, I don't know if it's universal) but it doesn't seem there's any way to know about them in Fort mode. Iirc it's modeled as a multiplier on impact force. The wiki says werebeasts halve damage from all metals except their weakness, which receives a 10x multiplier. I hope the list is restricted to mundane metals and not adamantine or divine metals but I don't know.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

PublicOpinion posted:

I hope the list is restricted to mundane metals and not adamantine or divine metals but I don't know.

I wouldn't be surprised if they can be weaknesses, given that divine metals seem to still very occasionally show up as trade goods or mood requirements or such.

E: Though it occurs to me I last played a few versions ago, that might have been fixed by now.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 31, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PublicOpinion posted:

Werecreatures have material weaknesses (or at least they can, I don't know if it's universal) but it doesn't seem there's any way to know about them in Fort mode. Iirc it's modeled as a multiplier on impact force. The wiki says werebeasts halve damage from all metals except their weakness, which receives a 10x multiplier. I hope the list is restricted to mundane metals and not adamantine or divine metals but I don't know.

Or what about normal metals like zinc? Zinc isn't that hard to find, but it's never going to be in a weapon unless it is an artifact, or maybe if decorations count and you have all your weapons studded with other metals to try to hedge your bets. It just seems pointless to even try right now.

Maybe that's something libraries, book trade, and visiting scholars could do to be useful: get details on what curses exist in your world and what their weaknesses are. A self-building wiki for things unique to your world. The more well stocked and opulent your library, the greater the number and variety of visiting scholars. Temples too, if you have a pleasing temple with at least 1 priest dedicated to a specific god, that god might reveal details of the horrors it has personally unleashed into the world when it was in a snit.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I haven't cracked open world.dat myself to check the generated creatures, but I found one that someone opened up from 34.04 where all the material weaknesses were the regular weapon metals (copper, silver, bismuth bronze, bronze, iron, steel).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Has Meph stopped jerking off to Succubi and finally put necromancers in Masterwork?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Leal posted:

Has Meph stopped jerking off to Succubi and finally put necromancers in Masterwork?

no

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I've had several forgotten beasts show up at my fortress, but so far only one has required any response from me. I have some uncountable number of visiting monster hunters and they just kill it before it wanders up the cavern to me. Sometimes the beast kills a few before it dies, but why should I care about these visiting jerks who mostly aren't dwarves?

It kind of takes the fun out of it that one of my main lines of defense is a big group of visitors who I do nothing to maintain, control, build, etc.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Curious about Toady One's plans for the next six months before he dives fully into the Myth and Magic Arc?
  • The Dwarf Fortress Development page has been updates, namely a selection of "Pre-Magic Improvement Candidates" has been fleshed out.
  • PC Gamer has a nice 1-hour interview with Toady One from GDC where he talks a bit about raids, his plans for spies, and adding "villainy" to the game.
  • The newest Future of the Fortress is out: Part 1, Part 2

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Villainy sounds fun, I want more use for my prison.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Alehkhs posted:

"villainy"

Villainy you say?

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Latest fortress has a huge problem: The local necromancers are bird people. A crow-man and a raven-woman. (How delightfully apropos.)

They show up with huge swarms of human and elf zombies, which promptly attack the fortress, but the necromancers themselves just fly a lap or two around the map before departing once their chaff is dead.

How do I actually kill these assholes? They're like 15-20 z-levels above the ground at all times. Do I train up a squad of marksdwarves and just pray they come within range one day?

Can I learn to send raids and find their tower and maybe kill them there?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Leal posted:

Last I heard Meph was basically just doing tileset work at this point. It's a shame, because Masterwork is so good, and the knockoff mod that was started over people being butthurt at Meph seems to have died in the crib (turns out large mods are hard).

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.44.09-alpha1

Well, there's also 0.44.09 of the game too I guess.

quote:

And the linux freeze fix process broke projectiles. So that's hopefully all working all around now. The Bay 12 Report is up. Here's the Future of the Fortress Q&A for the month: Part 1, Part 2.

Major bug fixes
Made projectiles and weapon traps work again

Other bug fixes/tweaks
Changed w.g. population calculation for conflicts

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I'm still on 44.07, made a smaller world there than usual and holy crap the fps boost was crazy! We started out at war with the humans (The Virginal Confederacy, obviously religious nuts!) and have had constant necromancer and goblin raids, plus now the elves have declared war as well for some reason, but so far that's just meant no caravans. The other dwarf civilizaton and the religious nut humans are both obsessed with claiming the very first artifact my fort created, a copper toy anvil, which is currently being played with by one of the many, many children in the fort (at one point we had more kids than adults thanks to attrition from constant sieges!) I refuse to put it in a case because having kids playing with something that multiple governments want seems more hilarious.

I thought there was a flux layer but I have yet to find it, so making steel the old fashion way of producing giant menacing spikes and melting them (the mayor loves spikes so I got to build them anyway!) The game crashes about 5% of the time after I refuse to return artifacts. I did savescum, but that was because the game crashed after a battle and redoing the battle suddenly killed all my troops so I had to redo it a few times to get a similar body count to the original timeline.

The PC Gamer interview is good because the whole villainy thing seems really neat, hopefully it doesn't break things much but I'm still more excited about the magic aspect finally being implemented and I can already pretend the motivations of the other governments trying to get my stuff.

JonBolds posted:

How do I actually kill these assholes? They're like 15-20 z-levels above the ground at all times. Do I train up a squad of marksdwarves and just pray they come within range one day?

Can I learn to send raids and find their tower and maybe kill them there?
I had better luck killing necromancers through raids than through sieges, so I'd try that first. You will get a lot of books as loot and some of them will start turning your guys into necromancers themselves (which leads to lots of FUN! but also lots of FPS loss) so you might want to inspect each book prize and forbid the ones that could turn your dwarfs into deadraisers. The rest of the books will be about how cool their tower is.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Tars Tarkas posted:

I had better luck killing necromancers through raids than through sieges, so I'd try that first. You will get a lot of books as loot and some of them will start turning your guys into necromancers themselves (which leads to lots of FUN! but also lots of FPS loss) so you might want to inspect each book prize and forbid the ones that could turn your dwarfs into deadraisers. The rest of the books will be about how cool their tower is.

Does that result in 'friendly' undead? Or are they still opposed to life?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

In my experience if they ever got freaked out they would start raising the dead, the dead would then attack everyone including the people who raised them, which meant they would raise more dead and soon there would be non-stop fighting in my corpse piles and the game got very very slow. Otherwise they were normal citizens.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Let's hope proper implementation of necromancers in fort play will come with the magic arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Either that or Toady just makes them peace out to start a tower of their own. :v: