Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i dont understand and I hatee this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Democrats: the real racists

I’m Tasmania

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Oh we're pretty republican at the moment here in oz... apart from the whole "let's be a republic right now" thing.

I mean this guy...

... is our Minister for Home Affairs.

Edit: Thumbnailed image for Sanity.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 30, 2018

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

I'm democratic liberal Israel.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Mexico just looooves Trump

e: I’ve found the Deviantart site where this map originated, and apparently the answer to my question is „severe mental illness“

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I’m the Kingdom of two Sicilies (more or less)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm the no data collected on how the great lakes would vote

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tsaedje posted:

I'm the no data collected on how the great lakes would vote

Great Slave and Great Bear are officially Great Lakes.

So-called “African Great Lakes”: not actually great.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Reminder that Afghanistan will soon see deployments of US soldiers that were born after 9/11.

We'll probably have multi-generational afghanistan war vet families.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Reminder that Afghanistan will soon see deployments of US soldiers that were born after 9/11.

Relevant: https://local.theonion.com/soldier-...1995.1522416035

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Reminder that American 30 year olds of 2018 are the first American 30 year olds to have lived more than 50% of their lives in a country at war since the 1780's.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I'm west Switzerland

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Japanese police won't even investigate of it isn't an open and shut case. Any murder that isn't immediately obvious is filed as an accident or suicide.

I wonder what the murder rate in Japan would actually be then.

Can any system with a 99% conviction rate really be considered a functional democracy?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Randandal posted:

I wonder what the murder rate in Japan would actually be then.

Can any system with a 99% conviction rate really be considered a functional democracy?

What you're really asking is if a country without a real justice system can be considered a functional democracy. The answer is not really.

Japan pulls poo poo like convicting foreigners for crimes on the grounds of "if you hadn't come to this country this wouldn't have happened". Also crimes only being classified as such if conviction is virtually guaranteed, at which point your lawyer will basically tell you your best course of action is confess, show remorse and suck up to the judge for leniency. Basically the Phoenix Wright games are a lot closer to truth then you'd think.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What's the conviction rate in other countries? I hear the 99% stat for Japan but never what it is elsewhere for comparison.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

What's the conviction rate in other countries? I hear the 99% stat for Japan but never what it is elsewhere for comparison.

UK is about 80%, feds are around 93%. States though, Florida is like 50%.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Cable Guy posted:

Oh we're pretty republican at the moment here in oz... apart from the whole "let's be a republic right now" thing.

I mean this guy...

... is our Minister for Home Affairs.

Edit: Thumbnailed image for Sanity.
Yeah, what Australia does to refugee seekers with its detention centers is a American Republican's wet dream.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

It’s about 80% for Germany and the UK I think, I looked into it at one point. US on the other hand the federal system is 90s, though states are less

The real reason Japan’s rate is so high though is because the judicial system is insanely understaffed, I think there are literally like 1% of the judges per capita of a country like the US. They also don’t have plea bargains formally in the law, so many of the 99% are effectively plea bargains for a reduced sentence

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/468111

quote:

Conviction rates in Japan exceed 99 percent. Because Japanese judges can be penalized by a personnel office if they rule in ways the office dislikes, perhaps they face biased incentives to convict. Using data on the careers and opinions of 321 Japanese judges, we find that judges who acquit do have worse careers following the acquittal. On closer examination, though, we find that the punished judges are not those who acquit on the ground that the prosecutors charged the wrong person. Rather, they acquit for reasons of statutory or constitutional interpretation, often in politically charged cases. Thus, the apparent punishment seems unrelated to any pro‐conviction bias at the judicial administrative offices. We suggest an alternative explanation: the high conviction rates reflect case selection and low prosecutorial budgets; understaffed prosecutors present judges with only the most obviously guilty defendants.

The fact that this statistic is apparently not normally cited for other legal systems and requires some surprisingly deep digging to find (for Germany you have to trawl through documents in German) is a pretty good sign that it's largely a dumb internet meme. Although apparantly part of why it became a meme in the first place is that the Japanese Ministry of Justice itself likes to brag about it? Or at least liked to circa 1987-1993 when literally every single Western journalist formed their fixed and eternal take on Japan that they've been republishing for the last 30 years now. So, :shrug:

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 31, 2018

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

a bad map 

(also I thought an essential component of vaporwave were the 1980s ~aesthetics~, and lofi hiphop isn’t exactly that :shrug:)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Orange Devil posted:

What you're really asking is if a country without a real justice system can be considered a functional democracy. The answer is not really.

Japan pulls poo poo like convicting foreigners for crimes on the grounds of "if you hadn't come to this country this wouldn't have happened". Also crimes only being classified as such if conviction is virtually guaranteed, at which point your lawyer will basically tell you your best course of action is confess, show remorse and suck up to the judge for leniency. Basically the Phoenix Wright games are a lot closer to truth then you'd think.

It does have one positive--if you flat-out refuse to cooperate in any way or confess or anything, that can be enough to get you off. Because of the expectation of conviction, losing a case basically ends your career as a Japanese prosecutor, so if they don't believe it's guaranteed victory they will often just drop the case rather than take the risk. Which is also part of that 99% conviction rate, there's a bunch of cases that simply disappear because nobody's willing to prosecute.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I imagine this makes things rather easy on Japanese organised crime.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

System Metternich posted:

a bad map 

(also I thought an essential component of vaporwave were the 1980s ~aesthetics~, and lofi hiphop isn’t exactly that :shrug:)

I mean 80's hip-hop was pretty minimalistic but uh... every example of vaporwave I've ever heard was basically chopped up and remixed 80's soft funk and r&b. So more like Billy Ocean, and less like Run DMC.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

not enough a e s t h e t i c in that map, imo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grape posted:

I mean 80's hip-hop was pretty minimalistic but uh... every example of vaporwave I've ever heard was basically chopped up and remixed 80's soft funk and r&b. So more like Billy Ocean, and less like Run DMC.

I was about to say I wouldn't consider it like any hip-hop I've ever heard

Penguins4Freedom
Nov 1, 2010

a bad map 

Pretty sure it's a reference to those playlists of ambient chill hip hop you find on youtube with pictures of anime for some reason.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Penguins4Freedom posted:

Pretty sure it's a reference to those playlists of ambient chill hip hop you find on youtube with pictures of anime for some reason.

Oh so like the most not hip-hop you can get, that kind of instrumental stuff that is at way arms length from the genre as can be.

This is like bringing up ROCK N ROLL when you're actually talking about like Prog flute solos.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Yeah, and it has nothing to do with vaporwave as I understand it.

This is like the ur-vaporwave song - remixed 80s pop songs that have been slowed down, Japanese writing, ancient statues, it’s all there:

https://youtu.be/cU8HrO7XuiE

Whereas the thing that’s going around as "lofi hiphop“ nowadays is more like this:

https://youtu.be/-FlxM_0S2lA

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

This is like the ur-vaporwave song - remixed 80s pop songs that have been slowed down, Japanese writing, ancient statues, it’s all there:

Sounds like Alan Parson's...? (which incidentally makes great a background track for Stupid Game of Spaceships™ videos)

Edit: Associated controversial map for content

Click for large

Edit 2: goddam... I'm going to end up playing that game again if I'm not careful
Edit 3: Who am I kidding, as soon as I can afford the time and/or the subs... I'm back. :smithicide:

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 2, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Whereas the thing that’s going around as "lofi hiphop“ nowadays is more like this:

https://youtu.be/-FlxM_0S2lA

These are not that dissimilar?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I thought GSF had been kicked out of delve?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

I thought GSF had been kicked out of delve?

Nope, we're still in Delve. We got run outta Deklein about two years ago.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Count Roland posted:

These are not that dissimilar?

Well yeah people who are fans of one tend to like the other.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Cable Guy posted:

Sounds like Alan Parson's...? (which incidentally makes great a background track for Stupid Game of Spaceships™ videos)

Edit: Associated controversial map for content

Click for large

Edit 2: goddam... I'm going to end up playing that game again if I'm not careful
Edit 3: Who am I kidding, as soon as I can afford the time and/or the subs... I'm back. :smithicide:

Goonswarm is still going strong I see. Are there still many people playing? Been thinking about getting into it.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
I've been "winning" for about a year (not playing for those who don't uh... play). I got an email saying there's a message for me from director-bot saying my alt corp is about to be purged... Guess I'm plexing this week when I get my pension...

:gbsmith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

mycomancy posted:

Nope, we're still in Delve. We got run outta Deklein about two years ago.

Hanging out in Delve like you're cosplaying BoB. That's just weird.

Also, Jesus, why are influence maps so low effort these days? There used to be some craft to it:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Autonomous Monster posted:

Also, Jesus, why are influence maps so low effort these days? There used to be some craft to it:

I think cause they're computer-generated now. The upside of that is they can now automatically update daily.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Autonomous Monster posted:

Bite your tongue.

We roleplay as Blood Raiders, thank you very much. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I don't know why but for some reason Michigan just breaks some map-makers' brains. They have no idea where to put it.

It and Chicago apparently aren't in the Midwest.

It's actually part of Canada.

Wait, only the lower peninsula.

Or maybe just the upper peninsula.

Oh that's right, the UP is actually in Wisconsin

Bonus Lovecraftian horror of a map