Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Star Trek episode "Wolf in the Fold" introduces the existence of the psycho-tricorder, a device that can scan your mind to reveal all your memories from the last 24 hours.

The first person we see operating it gets stabbed to death by literally Jack the Ripper before she can finish the scan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Johnny Aztec posted:

I....I don't remember this episode at all. I don't remember this character.
I watched the entire series.

Same.

I even went and checked the den of iniquity and nothing there rings a bell at all.
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Flotter

:psyduck:

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

FabioClone posted:

The Star Trek episode "Wolf in the Fold" introduces the existence of the psycho-tricorder, a device that can scan your mind to reveal all your memories from the last 24 hours.

The first person we see operating it gets stabbed to death by literally Jack the Ripper before she can finish the scan.

Total resentment towards women.

Every aspect of that episode is incredible.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

FabioClone posted:

cuz those gosh darned fucksucking Vorlons can't just leave ol' leather apron in 1885 or w/e, they've always gotta drag mr. slicey dicey not-so-nicey to whatever interrogation they deem important at the time, because that definitely makes sense. just finished giving a job interview for assistant manager at Spacy's Department Store (lol space macys = spacy's :xd:) in November of 5324 AD, headed to an audition for the role of Seymour in an amateur production of Little Shop of Horrors put on by a legion of Sardaukar and some Harkonnen troops on Arrakis in 10,146AD, and Jack the Ripper managed to give the Vorlon the slip again. And now every time he gets a coat he hasn't worn since last winter out of the closet, poor Scotty finds a slice of his crush's uterus in the pocket along with the occasional surprise fiver that no cashier will accept because it's completely stained with blood

Gatekeeper fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 31, 2018

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gatekeeper posted:

cuz those gosh darned fucksucking Vorlons can't just leave ol' leather apron in 1885 or w/e, they've always gotta drag mr. slicey dicey not-so-nicey to whatever interrogation they deem important at the time, because that definitely makes sense. just finished giving a job interview for assistant manager at Spacy's Department Store (lol space macys = spacy's :xd:) in November of 5324 AD, headed to an audition for the role of Seymour in an amateur production of Little Shop of Horrors put on by a legion of Sardaukar and some Harkonnen troops on Arrakis in 10,146AD, and Jack the Ripper managed to give the Vorlon the slip again. And now every time he gets a coat he hasn't worn since last winter out of the closet, poor Scotty finds a slice of his crush's uterus in the pocket along with the occasional surprise fiver that no cashier will accept because it's completely stained with blood

Agreed.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Gatekeeper posted:

Indeed.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gatekeeper posted:

Yeah man

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gatekeeper posted:

Yep.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Trast posted:

The BSG writers had no clue what was going on in the show so there is no point trying to figure out any of its deep meanings.

This!

Trying to find deeper meaning in BSG is like coming up with a purpose for every one of the buttons in the Millennium Falcon. Even thinking for more than a minute means that you have officially put more effort into it than anyone involved in its creation.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Blistex posted:

This!

Trying to find deeper meaning in BSG is like coming up with a purpose for every one of the buttons in the Millennium Falcon. Even thinking for more than a minute means that you have officially put more effort into it than anyone involved in its creation.

The buttons in the Millennium Falcon is cause they look cool. BSG is because Ron Moore thought he was getting deep, but the only depth was the distance his head was up his rear end.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
Remember all those posters who whined that anyone who didn't like BSG's bad, incoherent ending was a smug atheist who hated to think? Writers can try whatever weird genre shifting crap they want, but if it sucks there's no need to give them a pass.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
lmfao started watching TNG's Starship Mine for the first time in forever, holy poo poo i forgot all about Data's smalltalk subplot, that scene with him in the background creepin' on that irritating dude talking to Riker, hoping to score some tips on how to improve his smalltalk lol those lil impersonations of his mannerisms were loving unreal. when he gets to chat up the dude himself after Riker dumps him on Data to escape from him, and Data's doing an impression of the guy right to his face but hes too self absorbed to notice so they both just keep laughing totally in sync hahaha Spiner owns and every chance he gets to chew scenery is a highlight of the show

heck, even Descent owns. because at least Lore is so fuckin broken and goofy that it's a pleasure to watch even if the plot is weak and the Borg get snipped with the Bob Barker treatment

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

lol fuckin Tim Russ is great too, he deserved a better show than Voyager

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bsg is alright and its problem isn't its monotheistic spiritual identity. It's just bad writing like awakening your final 5 by playing Jimi Hendrix is something that shouldn't have moved past a weed fuelled first draft but here we are.

The ending is bad as hell

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love how the chatty guy they don't like is straight up murdered in front of them all, his corpse left to sit on the floor, and no one mentions him or his death for the entire rest of the episode. Did they really hate him THAT much?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Blistex posted:

This!

I'm sure you can buy an official book from Lucasfilm that tells you what those buttons does.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

BSG was awesome up to the end of season 2 minus about 6 episodes.

After that, it was poo poo forever, and never good in any way.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I love how the chatty guy they don't like is straight up murdered in front of them all, his corpse left to sit on the floor, and no one mentions him or his death for the entire rest of the episode. Did they really hate him THAT much?

yeah only Data acknowledges it, but it's in the background and you can easily miss it - Will and Deanna are speaking together very hushed and serious, while far in the background and nearly off screen Data gets down on the ground and sprawls himself out and goes all ragdoll, tongue lolling out of his mouth and everything, continuing to imitate his smalltalk roll model

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Human Crouton posted:

BSG was awesome up to the end of season 2 minus about 6 episodes.

After that, it was poo poo forever, and never good in any way.

I'd put it up to the end of Exodus, because that was still pretty solid (and probably written before the Writer's Strike). Beyond that though, the quality just nosedives until the mutiny.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Baronjutter posted:

They just all claimed later that they were practicing the Federation Grieving Of The Future, ie, none, as is right and proper for advanced humans (and Data).

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
It's kind of like that Genesis cave scene in Wrath of Khan. After all her coworkers get murdered horribly, one getting vaporized just moments before, Dr Marcus has a conversation with Kirk about their relationship problems like that's the most important thing in the world.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VictorianQueerLit posted:

The only correct way to watch Seaquest was to see it on TV originally then find out twenty years later that there was a third season and that Lucas killed himself because "Cool 90s Hacker Kid" was the peak of his life apparently.

fun fact: ironsides only agreed to be on the show if he never had to talk to darwin because "animals having nothing to tell us"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

corn in the bible posted:

fun fact: ironsides only agreed to be on the show if he never had to talk to darwin because "animals having nothing to tell us"

Did . . . did he know the dolphin wasn't actually talking?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Facebook Aunt posted:

Patrick Stewart was reportedly pissed the gently caress off righteously when a local news station sent a reporter to do an on location at the TNG set.

He said he was working his rear end off to get people to believe they were in space and didn't need someone reporting the weather in Klingon or making Spock gestures to ruin it all.

Actors are weird man. Also I prefer to believe Ironsides said that while drinking whisky.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fornax Disaster posted:

It's kind of like that Genesis cave scene in Wrath of Khan. After all her coworkers get murdered horribly, one getting vaporized just moments before, Dr Marcus has a conversation with Kirk about their relationship problems like that's the most important thing in the world.

I sort of gave that a pass since shock does really weird things to people.

The MSJ posted:

I'm sure you can buy an official book from Lucasfilm that tells you what those buttons does.

True, but the point I was making was . . .

sweet geek swag posted:

The buttons in the Millennium Falcon is cause they look cool. BSG is because Ron Moore thought he was getting deep, but the only depth was the distance his head was up his rear end.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Finally finished the Voyager slog and started on Enterprise.

Already had two Shran episodes so it's already better than Voyager even in the bad seasons

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'll stand by ENT being better overall than Voyager just by having a higher Combs count

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I'll stand by ENT being better overall than Voyager just by having a higher Combs count

heck, :same:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's from a newspaper interview he did. Apparently he hated the concept, even as science fiction. :shrug:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I missed Jadzia Hate Chat but Jadzia is awesome from season 2ish until she meets Worf.

Ezri is Laura from Kids in the Hall, so even though the character is dumb and pointless, imma be like...ok.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Quark - "Hey Jadzia, good to see you! What can I get you for dinner?
Jadzia - "I hear fine ham abounds. Gimme some a that."
Quark - "There you go, enjoy."
Jadzia - "Wow, this is fuckin' good ham, Quark."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
QUARK: "Well, you know what I do to make it so, fa- fa- fa--... said the 'F-word', seven and a half lives, now she says the 'F-word' by the replicators."

The Federation tries to put me down
Just because fine ham abounds
They're square, the wormhole is round
Gonna spin the Dabo wheel and change my town...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kelsey Grammar as the next Dax host, discuss

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kelsey Grammar as the next Dax host, discuss

People probably think of a Frasier talking about hundred year old dinner parties that a Dax attended or seeing the opening night of a 200 year old opera but really it would just be angry dumb republican Kelsey Grammar talking about how in Kirk's time a man had to still work for his replicator rations while accidentally running over people in his shuttle.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Federation collapses due to Section 31's classified info getting leaked, humans form new government with ferengi, endless oo-mox parties at Dabo-Lago, gold-plated latinum toilets, piss holodeck, everyone pleads that we stop winning but we don't.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

basic hitler posted:

If you didnt mentally check out as soon as you realized that all along the watchtower was some powerful transdimensional song capable of unlockong sleeping cylon minds then... What's wrong with you. After that point i was mostly watching to finish it.

i checked out after the insanely-blatantly contrived way they wrapped up the resurrection virus plot, in a way that should have gotten ol' chisel-jawed Helo executed for treason but instead everyone just pretends to look the other way. i seriously wonder if it was something like ron moore (or david eick, i guess) was on vacation and then came back and loving flipped the hell out when he saw where the writers were taking the show or something, because that was just such an abrupt reversal of "WELP we're not going down that path!"

but of course i kept compulsively watching because goddamnit i needed to know how they were going to resolve it gently caress it all up

but yeah all along the watchtower revealing whose names got hit on the dartboard to find the last cylons was goofy as gently caress too

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"dude, i fuckin' love All Along The Watchtower, like so much. let's put that in there. like all the characters are hearing this awesome music and tripping out and woaahhhhh"

"uhhhh how the gently caress do these guys know a song from 20th century earth??"

"it's... it's all cyclical, dude. it's the collective unconscious. it's things that get passed down across civilizations. that's how good this song is, dude. okay what next"

"yeah uh so we were thinking of doing another b-plot w/ the chief and his wife-"

"fuckin' SPACE HER, dude! ha ha, women are bitches, am i right?? i'm ron moore and the internet loved eating my poop in 2008"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also it was big lols when Ellen came back in the fourth season, now aware of her past life that Cavil had erased from her memory, but the dumbshit writers couldn't figure out how to write her as anything but a conniving screech monster so we just got more dumb drama scenes of her shouting at Tigh for basically no reason at all

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
The last time I went through BSG I just skipped any scene involving the cylons by themselves. Especially when Baltar was with them. The show was way better. I think you could cut 8 or so episodes worth of content out by eliminating Baltar getting hosed and philosophizing.

None of it actually matters and getting rid of it leaves the Cylons' motivations a little more mysterious since every decision isn't backed up by hours of boring dumb bullshit that went nowhere. You don't need to spend hours watching Baltar have drama with Six only to become friendly with and try to manipulate Three and blahblahblah final five blahblahblah hybrid blahblahblah. Instead they just show up at the Algae planet and everyone is surprised along with the colonials and you get to discover the dumb bullshit the cylons are doing instead of swimming in a sea of it.

It also makes the religious ending better. It's still stupid and terrible but if you cut out all of that retarded cylon pontificating the ending is no longer the tail end of a 8-10 hour long wet fart so you suffer through less pointless, boring buildup to nothing and just sort of get nothing.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 2, 2018

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I skip all the psychiatrist scenes in The Sopranos. Bada bing!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

numberoneposter posted:

I skip all the psychiatrist scenes in The Sopranos. Bada bing!!!

Same but also add every scene with Carm, livia, Janice, AJ, meadow and anyone else non-criminal who wanders into frame