Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

nice smoke ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VERTiG0 posted:

Whatever you do, don't overshoot your target temp. You want to place the probe where the cheese is going to be, but ensure the probe tip is at least an inch or two away from any of the cheese being smoked.

The fire has been going for a little over 15 minutes and the temp is at 75° right now, but I think the probe is also pretty close to the ice in the pan. It isn’t TOUCHING the ice, but I think it’s less than an inch away. If any of this is bad, please let me know; everything I’ve read seems to indicate that the target temp for cold smoking is 90° or less.

The smoke is barely visible and looks either white or slightly blueish-white. It’s hard to tell that there’s smoke coming out at all, but it is there (for now). Based on what I’m seeing from this thread and elsewhere, I’m guessing that’s good?

I’m gonna open the lid in about 45 minutes to flip the cheese over, and possibly to change the ice in the pan.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Aaaand now I don’t see any smoke at all. Temp is at 78°. Trying to decide whether I should take everything out to check the coals. Help.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The smoke is barely visible and looks either white or slightly blueish-white. It’s hard to tell that there’s smoke coming out at all, but it is there (for now). Based on what I’m seeing from this thread and elsewhere, I’m guessing that’s good?

That's what you want. Barely noticeable smoke.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Larrymer posted:

That's what you want. Barely noticeable smoke.

I’m still trying to decide whether to check the coals or not, since the smoke has gone from “barely noticeable” to “completely invisible/possibly nonexistant”. The problem is to check the coals, I have to take out everything and remove the wood chips, so I don’t want to do it unless I have to.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just checked and my fears were confirmed: the fire WAS out. I refilled the can with charcoals, but this time I filled it all the way instead of partway, and I lit all of the coals directly instead of just dropping in a single lit coal. The temp was at 87° when I came inside; I’m gonna check it again in a little less than 15 minutes.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 24, 2018

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Just put the stuff on the grill and have some trust. Worst case, you ruin some cream cheese.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
The first cook on my new pellet smoker

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Cold smoking is something I just won't do again on my wsm the way it is stock. What I started doing is taking some ductwork and tape it to cardboard that fits over the door opening, and then run the other end to a hot plate with wood chips in it. The hot plate gets them hot enough to start smoking and then the duct pipes the smoke inside.

It was just too annoying keeping a live fire under 80 degrees and not going out without constant maintenance. This is much easier.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Gitmo, if there is no hot air coming out of the chimney/vent, perhaps things are amiss. Put your hand over there and figure things out

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I checked the new coals after about 30 minutes and re-lit them. It looked like about half the wood chips I put on top of them had burned. There was still a little bit of blue smoke coming out of the can, but it looked like the fire might be about to die. I may just have to keep doing that once every 30 to 60 minutes. I also opened the vents a little.

The can doesn’t have any holes in it to facilitate airflow, which might be a problem, so the next time I do this I might try drilling some holes in the can beforehand. I might also use a slightly bigger can, and put that can inside a second, larger can as an insulator to keep the hot coals inside the can from lighting the ones outside it.

The cheese is starting to sweat and it smells amazing outside.

Two hours to go.

EDIT: 45 minutes later there’s still smoke, so apparently I did something right this time.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 24, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well that batch of cheese took longer than I expected it to. I was gonna do one more batch, but since it’s so late I’ll do it tomorrow instead. Tonight I’m gonna smoke some bacon.

The cheese is sitting on my kitchen counter right now and smells loving DELICIOUS. I can’t wait to try it in a week.

I have an idea for a charcoal holder I’d like to put together before my next cold smoke that I hope will make the coals burn better without going out too soon. It’s a pretty simple and straightforward design that I’m gonna do a mockup of on MSPaint later and post here. I might have to find a local metal shop to build it, but hopefully that won’t be a big issue.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
After you smoke cheese, the accepted practice is to vacuum seal it and let it sit i the fridge for at least a few weeks, yeah?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VERTiG0 posted:

After you smoke cheese, the accepted practice is to vacuum seal it and let it sit i the fridge for at least a few weeks, yeah?

The websites I read said to just wrap it in wax paper.

There was some disagreement about how long to leave it in for before eating it; some of the sites said 3-4 days while one said 3-4 weeks. I figured one week is a good compromise.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Results from last night. Sorry for the lovely pics, it got dark before the food was done and it's just a phone camera.

One wet rib, one dry rib. Freaking fantastic!

I was pretty impressed with the cooker. It was so convenient too, just turn the knob to 250 and let that sucker ride. I'm real happy with it and I'm looking forward to more things!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

The websites I read said to just wrap it in wax paper.

There was some disagreement about how long to leave it in for before eating it; some of the sites said 3-4 days while one said 3-4 weeks. I figured one week is a good compromise.

"Some say a month, some say a year, so i think a 5 weeks is a good compromise. Also I put the probe near the ice instead of the cheese which is the exact opposite of what you guys said to do, so that's also a good compromise"

If you want to ask for advice, listen to the loving advice

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

atothesquiz posted:

"Some say a month, some say a year, so i think a 5 weeks is a good compromise. Also I put the probe near the ice instead of the cheese which is the exact opposite of what you guys said to do, so that's also a good compromise"

What the gently caress are you talking about? I am following y’all’s advice. I put the probe more than an inch away from any of the cheese. I was worried it might be too close to the ice at first, but that ended up not being the case.

Okay fine, how long do you think I should leave the cheese in for?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I sous vide’d a pork butt at 155*F for 44 hours then smoked it today for about 2.5 hours. Came out incredibly good. I forgot to take a pic after smoking but i managed a decent bark out of it.

https://imgur.com/a/Fo05H

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

This is real mystic and all, but uh, do you have anything to eat here?

Lawnie posted:

Came out incredibly good.

Is it substantially better than a regular smoked pork butt? I have a sous vide, but I’m not sure I want to turn a pleasant 10 hour smoke into a 46 hour project

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BritishRacingGreen posted:

Is it substantially better than a regular smoked pork butt? I have a sous vide, but I’m not sure I want to turn a pleasant 10 hour smoke into a 46 hour project

It is absolutely, 100% easier and less active time investment than smoking it straight would be. I turned it in the water bath twice, otherwise it wasn’t a hassle (although I need to do a better job sealing the bag next time). It really just takes a little bit of pre-planning. Some things I would do differently next time:

Better sealed bag. I had a leak at the very end when I was removing the butt.

Less time sous vide. At the length of time I took (wanted to smoke yesterday but couldn’t due to snow, so I just left it in the bath another 14 hours or so), it was falling apart a bit when I went to smoke it. Lower temp at this time might help.

I might also try smoking first next time and searing with a blowtorch at the end. It was pretty convenient to smoke and form crust at the same time.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I did another brisket this weekend. It took around 11 hours to finish on a WSM at 225-ish using kingsford and green hickory. Trimmed way down and rubbed with coarse ground salt and pepper. Around a dozen people had some today and three of them went out of their way to tell me that was the best brisket they ever had :3:

14 pounder

Trimmed and rubbed

4 hours in

Done

This one taught me that individual briskets can vary greatly. The last one I did was 17 pounds whole, but after trimming it only took 7 hours to cook because there was so much fat that I trimmed off. This one was a hell of a lot meatier and took much longer to cook. I trim the fat cap to about 1/2" thick and cut out that giant deckle in the armpit entirely. The bit that sticks up near the tip, I leave on, and use for burned ends.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

^ Looks good. mmmmmmmm

On my smoker that would take 20+ hours, and I have no idea why since temperature is temperature. What temp did you cook to (meat temp) and where do you put the probe in the meat? I usually jam it in the thickest part.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 26, 2018

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Successfully modded! Only did one rack for now to see how it goes. Thanks for the help BritishRacingGreen

Bonus pic of me doing chicken fajita on the PK grill.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

atothesquiz posted:

I mean if the guidance I read has two different lengths I’m gonna figure somewhere in between would be fine. Why are you being such a dick about this?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lawnie posted:

I sous vide’d a pork butt at 155*F for 44 hours then smoked it today for about 2.5 hours. Came out incredibly good. I forgot to take a pic after smoking but i managed a decent bark out of it.

https://imgur.com/a/Fo05H

Looks drat good

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I mean if the guidance I read has two different lengths I’m gonna figure somewhere in between would be fine. Why are you being such a dick about this?

Yeah, seriously. I like how he also accuses me of not following people’s advice despite there being no indication that I didn’t.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Here’s the pics of the bacon I smoked last Saturday.

The pork belly. It’s 3 lbs but it’s pretty thin, only about an inch thick at its thickest point. We also bought it frozen with the skin on because that’s the only way this particular butcher sells them.

Other side. This was after we removed the skin.

The ingredients.

I used the Maple Bacon recipe from Amazing Ribs (#2 on this link), replacing the water with bourbon because I was curious (it rules btw), and adding half a teaspoon of garlic powder, half a teaspoon of onion powder, and a tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves. Next time I might do one of the regular recipes, but this time I wanted to have some fun.

The bacon in the cure. Note that since the pork belly was really long I had to fold it a little to get it to fit in the bag. I took this into account when I calculated how long to leave it in the fridge, which was 3 days.

It was nighttime when I finally put it on the smoker, so apologies for the darkness in these next couple pics. I shined a flashlight to make stuff easier to see.

Bacon on the smoker. I used a mix of apple and hickory wood, one chunk of each. I also forgot to put in a drip pan because it was late and I was tired.

It was done after 2 hours.

Tastes incredible. I highly recommend this recipe.

Cheese pics will come probably tomorrow or Sunday.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Good job smoking something. Show us the side of the bacon, that’s the money shot.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Here’s the pics of the bacon I smoked last Saturday.

The pork belly. It’s 3 lbs but it’s pretty thin, only about an inch thick at its thickest point. We also bought it frozen with the skin on because that’s the only way this particular butcher sells them.

Other side. This was after we removed the skin.

The ingredients.

I used the Maple Bacon recipe from Amazing Ribs (#2 on this link), replacing the water with bourbon because I was curious (it rules btw), and adding half a teaspoon of garlic powder, half a teaspoon of onion powder, and a tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves. Next time I might do one of the regular recipes, but this time I wanted to have some fun.

The bacon in the cure. Note that since the pork belly was really long I had to fold it a little to get it to fit in the bag. I took this into account when I calculated how long to leave it in the fridge, which was 3 days.

It was nighttime when I finally put it on the smoker, so apologies for the darkness in these next couple pics. I shined a flashlight to make stuff easier to see.

Bacon on the smoker. I used a mix of apple and hickory wood, one chunk of each. I also forgot to put in a drip pan because it was late and I was tired.

It was done after 2 hours.

Tastes incredible. I highly recommend this recipe.

Cheese pics will come probably tomorrow or Sunday.

Nice! Looks delicious

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Chemmy posted:

Good job smoking something. Show us the side of the bacon, that’s the money shot.

I'm not him, but here's mine from yesterday!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Whooping Crabs posted:

Nice! Looks delicious

Thanks! It IS delicious.

Chemmy posted:

I’ll try to do that. I need to find a place to get a photo that won’t show too much of my house.

In the meantime, my dad loves to bake, and every Easter he likes to make a bunch of kolache bread. This year he’s gonna let me smoke-bake one of the loaves on the Egg. Should be a fun time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm going to try the sous method for pulled pork. Problem is I had to cut this 8lb bone in into 2 pieces because there was a new kid at the butcher and he didn't understand that the rack of knives behind him are made to cut things to order. It'll get eaten.

Anyways, the relevant stuff to this thread. Beauty of a day here in LA.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’ll try to do that. I need to find a place to get a photo that won’t show too much of my house.

You’re a weird guy. Just take a picture on the counter, no one is going to doxx you because of your countertops.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
So you say, but tell me, how many people own a chicken cutting board like that???

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

You’re a weird guy. Just take a picture on the counter, no one is going to doxx you because of your countertops.

What if his dad sees and recognizes his place on a dead gay comedy forum and kicks him out?

E: he wouldn’t have access to the egg is what

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

smoke-bake one of the loaves on the Egg

Ok, I was on the fence, but now I'm convinced. Definitely a troll account.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

No for real, you can smoke bread. I’ve talked about it in this thread before. I have a cookbook recipe that says to smoke the flour before making the dough, but I didn’t have the ability to do that this time so I’m smoking the actual loaf to see what happens.

Look, it’s an experiment okay? I’ll let y’all know how it turns out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lawnie posted:

E: he wouldn’t have access to the egg is what

the light at the end of the tunnel, I can see it

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No for real, you can smoke bread. I’ve talked about it in this thread before. I have a cookbook recipe that says to smoke the flour before making the dough, but I didn’t have the ability to do that this time so I’m smoking the actual loaf to see what happens.

Look, it’s an experiment okay? I’ll let y’all know how it turns out.

I think the crust will form very fast due to lack of moisture and it'll end up dense and sad. You should start it in a dutch oven and form the crust after the spring via the smoker imo

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Believe it or not it actually came out pretty good! Would do again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Lets see some pics of the crumb , bud