Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jack B Nimble posted:

So I almost never play solo, if I'm by myself I play 1 person squad. However, I tried some solo last night and the sniping end game seemed a lot more common and also unforgiving. Why would that be? Just less eyes and no knocks?

Also I'm eating crow regarding my dismissal of SRs; a m16a4 with a 4x feels pretty drat inadequate against a crate SR.

Sniping is super important in solo play. Being able to eliminate somebody with one shot is huge.

Like I never use the Kar98 in squads but I love it in solo because you can get one shot kills and people tend to stay still more often in that mode which helps my potato aim with that gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
I really really really really wish there was some way to practice the various guns. I have taken many shots with the AWM, and no idea how close any of them were to hitting. All I know is I have 0 kills with it and it's very discouraging.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

speedtek posted:

I really really really really wish there was some way to practice the various guns. I have taken many shots with the AWM, and no idea how close any of them were to hitting. All I know is I have 0 kills with it and it's very discouraging.
Keeping your fire button down lets you keep scoped so you can watch the bullet. But yeah, it's frustrating as hell. If watching is your thing, clips / streamers let you get a little visual experience and a feel for a lot of combat, especially in this game where you're not likely to survive your first fight and they are.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

speedtek posted:

Picked it up for the first time last night, doesn't seem to be much bullet drop, but I wasn't shooting at people far away since I had no scope to put on it.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

MF_James posted:

Picked it up for the first time last night, doesn't seem to be much bullet drop, but I wasn't shooting at people far away since I had no scope to put on it.

Ran into someone a week ago that was double-AWMing. One with a red dot, the other with an 8x. I died because I'm bad.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Bhodi posted:

Keeping your fire button down lets you keep scoped so you can watch the bullet. But yeah, it's frustrating as hell. If watching is your thing, clips / streamers let you get a little visual experience and a feel for a lot of combat, especially in this game where you're not likely to survive your first fight and they are.

That's good to know! The few times I've used it I've had an 8x on it. Does this work with the kar98 as well?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

speedtek posted:

That's good to know! The few times I've used it I've had an 8x on it. Does this work with the kar98 as well?
it works with the kar and other bolt-action single shot weapons, as it specifically delays the reload animation that pulls you out of scoped view.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

discord doesn't show any of my team in game, and one of them doesn't even have an avatar in the lobby. his name is now #unknown.

Cool

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

No Butt Stuff posted:

discord doesn't show any of my team in game, and one of them doesn't even have an avatar in the lobby. his name is now #unknown.

Cool

Discord isn't supposed to show any of that.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I guess I didn't make sense. Discord usually shows people "Playing PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS"

That isn't showing.

On top of that, someone on my team doesn't show up as being in lobby, although he is. In game he shows as #unknown

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Not sure about your Discord problem, but the #unknown thing is the reality we currently live in. About half of all players in-game show up with that name. Last night I was playing with goons and 3 out of 4 of us were #unknown so we resorted to referring to each other and ourselves by our color.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

New map preview. I can't wait to play this. It looks so good.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Communist Q posted:

This looks fantastic and exactly the kind of map we've been wanting

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Has anyone done the mouse sensitivity fix and had a pubg revelation?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

No Butt Stuff posted:

I guess I didn't make sense. Discord usually shows people "Playing PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS"

That isn't showing.

On top of that, someone on my team doesn't show up as being in lobby, although he is. In game he shows as #unknown

Was anyone using discord mobile?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Most people don't link their Steam accounts in Discord.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Communist Q posted:

If anyone else here ever makes an instructional YouTube video, please don't do what this guy does and talk for two minutes about nothing at the start. I see it far too often. Get to the point already.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Also activate windows.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Also when you are trying to highlight a point in spectator mode don't shake your mouse back and forth.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I think it would be cool to use this engine for something like a mount and blade fortress defense. Split the teams, throw in some respawn counts, maybe let you pick a loadout with limits for each team, instead of picking loot up. Maybe no snipers. Vehicle spawns like in BF1. Add shouts and musician roles. Bam.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 31, 2018

revolther
May 27, 2008
I think Mount & Blade has like servers with 200+ player limits.
But sure, with an experienced dev team Unreal could do that too.
It's nothing like a battle royale game, just a shooter tower defense game, but yup, that could be a thing...

Thanks for sharing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

ILL Machina posted:

I think it would be cool to use this engine for something like a mount and blade fortress defense. Split the teams, throw in some respawn counts, maybe let you pick a loadout with limits for each team, instead of picking loot up. Maybe no snipers. Vehicle spawns like in BF1. Add shouts and musician roles. Bam.

I'm absolutely thinking forward to what the next big BR game could be, there's rumors DICE are going to try their hand using Battlefield.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm absolutely thinking forward to what the next big BR game could be, there's rumors DICE are going to try their hand using Battlefield.

they would be completely stupid to not do this.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Jack B Nimble posted:

Path of Exile just pushed a BR mode as april fools and people seem to love it

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

If anyone else here ever makes an instructional YouTube video, please don't do what this guy does and talk for two minutes about nothing at the start. I see it far too often. Get to the point already.

gotta hit that 10 minute sweet spot for revenue.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've never actually played a Battlefield game but...isn't this effectively what a Battlefield game was? I mean, except for respawn, right?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not so much. I like `em, and there's some similiarties of military equipment and settings and tactical firefights, but there's some differences. The respawn, the equipment load out (you're almost always going to be fighting with your loadout, rather than making do with whatever you can find.)

Now, if DICE made a BR mode where you 1)landed on a large island in semi-random place 2) looted what you could and made do 3)operated under the fear of "perma death", and combined all that with (feels weird saying this) DICE's build quality and optimization, that could be some seriously enticing poo poo.

It's funny, DICE has a reputation among AAA shooters for being a bit buggy, but compared to PUBG they're in a totally different league of stability and quality. For example, I would be able to use shotguns with no regret.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

credburn posted:

I've never actually played a Battlefield game but...isn't this effectively what a Battlefield game was? I mean, except for respawn, right?

battlefield is a class shooter

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh, and thinking about it a bit more; you're completely right that Battlefield is in that genre of a "huge world military combat game", as is the Operation Flashpoint/Arma type games that spawned PUBG. Battlefield is a lot more "arcadey" though. If you were going to draw a line charting shooter realism and you had Overwatch on one end and Arma on the other, Battlefield would be somewhere in between; sure there's characteristics it shares with PUBG but absolutely some real differences as well.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I turned on voice chat and played a random squad. I never do that, but I was bored. As usual, one of our guys is a kid just screaming stupid poo poo over and over, and then the other guys on the squad agree to kill the kid. The rest of the match (I died in the opening battle at the school) was the two teammates chasing the kid while the kid managed to run away from them whilst also blowing through entire squads on his own, while also taunting the guys chasing him. As much as he annoyed me, it was a pretty radical thing to spectate.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Battlefield is the same as PUBG, except in all the ways it is different.. hmm...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hypnolobster posted:

Has anyone done the mouse sensitivity fix and had a pubg revelation?

My pubg revelation after doing this was discovering it unbinds some of your keys randomly. I had to rebind parachuting keys.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Oh I forgot to say all the guns will have to be various types of musket.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Guess there's a cheat that lets people shoot through terrain. He had bad aim the whole time, but it was obvious he could see where everyone was through the end game following them through terrain and behind trees. At least he shot my teammate last so we got 2nd. He'd previously shot from that spot with a Kar 98 hip fired and headshot me for the down.

Didn't expect to see this much in NA FPP, but guess it's inescapable no matter where you play. I have no idea how this works, or if it's like in Arma 2 DayZ where people would delete the building and tree files from their install and have none of that render in game allowing them to drive through buildings or shoot people anywhere in the map.

https://gfycat.com/MeanEasygoingFoxterrier

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Flare event has been really fun and it's nice to play a squad game where people drop somewhere other than Pecado. In fact pretty much every town is empty since it's just everyone rushing to explore all the shacks and hay bales, then gun fights breaking out everywhere once those flares start popping off.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Glad they chose the worst possible fuckin method for granting access to the 4x4km map preview: keys via social media

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pawn 17 posted:

Flare event has been really fun and it's nice to play a squad game where people drop somewhere other than Pecado. In fact pretty much every town is empty since it's just everyone rushing to explore all the shacks and hay bales, then gun fights breaking out everywhere once those flares start popping off.

I am unhappy that it is now gone.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

8 Man flare mode on Erangel would be the best.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Way behind on this, but I just got the chance to play the flare gun event on Mirmar, and wtf? We can't have a legit 8-man squad, its a normal 4 man with an additional 4 randos? Dude, Bluehole: Go gently caress yourself over and over for blue balling everyone like this. Don't say "8 man" if, while it will have teams of 8, you only get to choose 4. What a lovely misrepresentation of the mode.

Edit: I'm sure they said this somewhere, but still. It's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Zipperelli. posted:

Way behind on this, but I just got the chance to play the flare gun event on Mirmar, and wtf? We can't have a legit 8-man squad, its a normal 4 man with an additional 4 randos? Dude, Bluehole: Go gently caress yourself over and over for blue balling everyone like this. Don't say "8 man" if, while it will have teams of 8, you only get to choose 4. What a lovely misrepresentation of the mode.

Edit: I'm sure they said this somewhere, but still. It's bullshit.

Lol, what a thing to throw the toys out of the pram over