Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

LifeLynx posted:

My assumption is that Tyranids were bad longer than Necrons were bad, so everyone who had Tyranids stopped playing and/or sold their stuff.

I've played Tyranids off and on since second edition. There's been some pretty dark times lately so I'm super thrilled for 8th edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Artum posted:

Finished my primaris counts-as Sgt. Chronus.

Why did I put so much work into a man who'll only see the table when things are going very wrong for me. :negative:

This guy looks super rad, and you could use him as just a regular Intercessor Sergeant if you're worried he won't see any table time.

I've also been painting some Ultramarines. These guys are more for Horus Heresy than 30k, but I'm hoping to use them in either game.

I've hit a comfortable medium between painting time and detail where they look good enough that I feel good looking at them, but they're not so detailed as to take days to paint a single man.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

This guy looks super rad, and you could use him as just a regular Intercessor Sergeant if you're worried he won't see any table time.

I've also been painting some Ultramarines. These guys are more for Horus Heresy than 30k, but I'm hoping to use them in either game.

I've hit a comfortable medium between painting time and detail where they look good enough that I feel good looking at them, but they're not so detailed as to take days to paint a single man.

What's your blue recipe? I'm a big fan.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Booley posted:

What's your blue recipe? I'm a big fan.

An overall coat of Macragge Blue (I use a spray can).

An overall wash with a 1:1 mix of Drakenhof Nightshade and Lahmian Medium.

1st highlights done with Alaitoc Blue, then finer highlights with Fenrisian Grey.

It's not the neatest scheme, but it's quick and comes out looking pretty good imho.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Felime posted:

I wouldn't say this list is terrible, BUT, you're anti-armor consists of 4 plasma guns in a chimera, 1 Battle Cannon, and 3 autocannons, all but the plasma hitting on 4+. (And 5+ if the sentinels move, which they will want to)

1k Brigade with guard is cute, and fun, but I don't really consider it to be the best. Plus, you can easily get 9CP with 2 brigades while still being able to bring along 2-3 leman russes. With Kurov's and Grand strategist, at 1000 points, 9CP is plenty.

In my opinion, plasma guns in infantry squads are great, and a good way to spread out a little bit of punch through your force, and at 7 points you don't have to worry too much about losing them. Lascannons embedded in infantry squads can also be very good as fire support, as they are far harder to dig out than heavy weapon squad ones.

If you're running cadian, there is little to no reason not to run pask, as well, as he's +10 points for an extra order and +1 BS.

Vox casters and grenade launchers are, indeed, bad. Grenade launchers mostly suffer from being 5 points when a plasma gun or flamer is 7, and actually good at something.

Also, while, in theory, Leman Russes in spearheads get obsec, but I've never had it really come into play except maybe clawing out an extra point at the end of the game. You don't want your leman russes up there, and most things holding objectives are going to be troops anyways, and have more than 1 model.

I also wouldn't say a plasma pistol is 100% worthless. Just not on your warlord. Your warlord sits back and babysits some mortars and and maybe slingshots an infantry squad to fill a hole in your lines. He goes nowhere near 12" from an enemy. A company commander on the front lines, though, can do stuff like pick off a hellblaster, etc... and easily make their points back.

Utilizing some of the stuff from Crini's original list, since I assume he owns some of it already, and split into 2 battalions:

HQ:
Company Commander 30
Company Commander 30
Knight Commander Pask 235
-Battle Cannon, Lascannon, HB Sponsons
Sanctioned Psyker 46
Sanctioned Psyker 46

Troops:
Infantry Squad w/ Plasma Gun 47
Infantry Squad 40

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ, Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter 152
Basilisk 108
Heavy Weapons Squad w/ Mortars 33
Heavy Weapons Squad w/ Heavy Bolters 42

Comes out to 997 Points. I'd honestly drop some stuff to give the second Leman Russ a Lascannon and maybe some sponsons, or even drop down enough that you can swap the basilisk for a third russ, though that may require losing a Psyker, an infantry squad (the infantry squad coming with 3 command points), or the mortars, which are very good.

Sentinels are amazing for screening against deep strikers but if you buffer with infantry squads enough you can get away without them, and they're like 30 bucks retail for a 45-55 point model.

This is useful & helpful. Thanks.

Let me see what I have and see what looks cool. Enough people have said vox isn't worth it so I won't use it, but they just look like they should be there to me.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Endman posted:

An overall coat of Macragge Blue (I use a spray can).

An overall wash with a 1:1 mix of Drakenhof Nightshade and Lahmian Medium.

1st highlights done with Alaitoc Blue, then finer highlights with Fenrisian Grey.

It's not the neatest scheme, but it's quick and comes out looking pretty good imho.

Wait that's what lahmian medium does to shade? That works really well its so smooth.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Have my Big Mek with a KFF on a jetbike:

Also, Booley your stuff is awesome. I am incredibly jealous of both your yellow and your red.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Considering they're like seven and eight points a Pop skitarii models look like such a pain in the rear end to paint.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Artum posted:

Finished my primaris counts-as Sgt. Chronus.

Why did I put so much work into a man who'll only see the table when things are going very wrong for me. :negative:

Nicely done.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Crini posted:

Let me see what I have and see what looks cool. Enough people have said vox isn't worth it so I won't use it, but they just look like they should be there to me.

I haven't had enough games with Guard in 8th to say either way, but I've always considered voxes to be useful. Needs to be all or nothing with them though. The Officer just needs to be within 3" of a unit with a vox to triple his order range which lets you protect your important dudes better and means you don't have to babysit every unit you want to issue orders to.

E: I can see the other side of the argument though as both types of officer are incredibly cheap and unlock more Command Squads for you. 4 voxes vs a Platoon Commander seems to be the choice.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 1, 2018

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Eifert Posting posted:

Considering they're like seven and eight points a Pop skitarii models look like such a pain in the rear end to paint.

They're surprisingly not. If you spray them silver and don't attach them to the inside of their bases until you've done the inside of the cloak, 80% of their surface area is one big smooth flat cloak and the majority of what's left is already done.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

I haven't had enough games with Guard in 8th to say either way, but I've always considered voxes to be useful. Needs to be all or nothing with them though. The Officer just needs to be within 3" of a unit with a vox to triple his order range which lets you protect your important dudes better and means you don't have to babysit every unit you want to issue orders to.

E: I can see the other side of the argument though as both types of officer are incredibly cheap and unlock more Command Squads for you. 4 voxes vs a Platoon Commander seems to be the choice.

The big point is that characters are easy to defend and having more orders is cool. Vox casters are paying points to throw your orders, you don't actually get any more. And once you have multiple dudes giving out orders the vox casters aren't that useful.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I went 1-2, 11 out of 14. Wasn't expecting much since I didn't build for the meta but it turned out I fought 3 of the only lists that didn't have a ton of vehicles. Other than the lists I played I saw Tau with massed hammerheads and longstrike, Tau with massed riptides, Guilliman with forgeworld dreadnoughts, about 4 guard players running massed leman russes and valkyries (two had superheavy tanks), some Eldar lists full of wave serpents, and I saw someone bring a lord of skulls and a bunch of berserkers in rhinos.

I had my iron hands list. 16 tac marines, 5 cataphractii, 5 scouts, 6 devastators, chaplain, captain, librarian, apothecary, stormraven, contemptor, dread, razorback, vindicator.

Round 1 I fought the guy that ended up winning the tournament. He was running a Chaos army with 3 detachments. Detachment 1 was a unit of 20 plague marines with double knives and 2 units of nurglings. Detachment 2 was 2 units of 30 plaguebearers, and more nurglings. Detachment 3 was 3 bloat drones. For characters he had Ahriman, herald of nurgle, and some other psykers I don't really remember. He was going for pure mortal wound spam, he won by wiping out all the vehicles in each game he played with massed blight grenades, stacking buffs powers and stratagems to make them wound vehicles on a 3+, hit on a 2+, and mortal wound on a 5+ then doing more mortal wounds in melee. He killed my stormraven and razorback with grenades pretty trivially, and smited my vindicator to death. I was able to chew though the plague marines but by the time I did I was too worn down and there was still 40 plaguebearers, a bloat drone, and all his characters.

Round 2 was vs necrons. Anrakyr, Cryptek, 3 squads of 5 immortals with tesla, 20 warriors, 3 or 4 3-model destroyer squads with a destroyer lord, doomsday ark, nightscythe, 10? lychguard with shields

It was short table edges, my stormraven got gunned down pretty quick by the ark and destroyers so I wasn't able to really project anything over to deal with the doomsday ark sitting on his table edge which wore down all my vehicles over the game. I was relying on getting in close with my melee dudes in the stormraven, which they did but because destroyers and cryptek have fly I wasn't able to actually tie anything down so they just all got gunned down. I was able to wipe out his immortals, killed the nightscythe before it did anything, and took out a good chunk of his warriors but his lychguard basically just rolled through what was left of my army that the destroyers and doomsday ark didn't kill.

Round 3 was vs harlequins. 3 squads of 5 harlequins in starweavers, 2 squads of 5 wraithguard in wave serpents, 2 troupe leaders, shadow seer, solitaire

Like last time I fought harlequins, they murdered my vehicles with fusion pistols but once the starweavers were dead harlequins die really really fast to storm bolters and assault cannons. He tore up my list pretty good but I won on scenario, his wraithguard didn't have d-scythes so I didn't have any qualms about getting into melee with them.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 1, 2018

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Crini posted:

Hopefully it wasn't too fragmentary a bunch of musings.

Voxxes look cool, but are best as an ornament. The price on 6 voxes is 30 points, which is the same as an extra company commander, and the extra company commander gives you an extra two orders, and, honestly, better board coverage, orders wise, than an extra 18 inches.

I wasn't so sure what you had, so I tried to include some of the same stuff. If you give us an idea of what you have currently, we can probably give you a good idea of fun stuff to build off of it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Now people are starting to settle in 8th, and I say this with knowing it’s a very hand-wavey generalist statement - I really feel like Troops in general need more importance. I don’t know how best to address this, but when what in theory is the ‘core’ of an army is being solely treated as screening at best, or an actual tax to be avoided at worst, that seems kind of dumb.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

It's not really that voxes are bad, it's more that in general with guard you're better off bringing extra rather than maximizing the stuff you've got. This sucks for stuff like infantry squads where you have to paint a million retarded looking little dudes but officers are one extra dude so there's less of a reason to care.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Now people are starting to settle in 8th, and I say this with knowing its a very hand-wavey generalist statement - I really feel like Troops in general need more importance. I dont know how best to address this, but when what in theory is the core of an army is being solely treated as screening at best, or an actual tax to be avoided at worst, that seems kind of dumb.

It depends on the army, for IG or 'nids or Chaos cultists they can be a pretty important aspect of the army, it's just that people like elite units and the big reason they weren't more prevalent in prior editions was how easy it was to snipe them out of an advancing force.

Most of the people you see running screening forces would likely have just had an army with no/minimal troops in older editions.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Artum posted:

Forgebane has 2 knights, its a pretty obvious choice.

Yeah but they're not as cool as a bigknight. How much more stuff would turn the necron half into an army? I've got a lot of imperial stuff to drop the other half into.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I feel like outside of gimmick/broken lists you still want troops. Troop guns tend to be better this time around and a lot of them are very efficient if you just need shots. Firewarriors are great sources of S5 shots, guardsmen are nice and cheap, Skitarii are efficient for what you pay for etc. Space Marines have some efficiency problems but that's more an issue with their statline than anything.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Felime posted:

Hopefully it wasn't too fragmentary a bunch of musings.

Voxxes look cool, but are best as an ornament. The price on 6 voxes is 30 points, which is the same as an extra company commander, and the extra company commander gives you an extra two orders, and, honestly, better board coverage, orders wise, than an extra 18 inches.

I wasn't so sure what you had, so I tried to include some of the same stuff. If you give us an idea of what you have currently, we can probably give you a good idea of fun stuff to build off of it.

I don't really have a lot of models yet, maybe 2 or 3 squads of troops (guys with lasguns bought off eBay) 2 squads of troops still on the sprue, a command squad, 2 heavy weapons boxes, maybe 4 guys with meltas, 3 grenade launchers, 4 or 5 flamers, 3 guys with plasma, and a chimera with 2 heavy bolsters.

I'd like to field a force with a basilisk and a tank or two.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Just a few questions as a new player:

In LoS, if you see any part of the model, you can shoot it? Like my friend has Space Marine Snipers. One is holding his gun in the air. I can see the gun above the cover. Does that count, or is it more "realistic". We said you couldn't shoot it, because I couldn't see any part of the models body.

Also, LoS is model by model correct? Say half my Vanguard unit is behind cover. Only the models with clear LoS can shoot. I may only be able to shoot with half the models in the unit, right?

Characters. If my character is not the closest model, it can't be shot, correct? My closest model to the shooting unit was in close combat. I argued that it didn't matter, I had a model closer than my character, period.

Overwatch. If a model has a pistol and is already in close combat, it gets no overwatch, right?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Afaik LOS is to any visible part of another model. It's a little dickish to count stuff like that or antennae but it's valid.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

EvilBeard posted:

Just a few questions as a new player:

In LoS, if you see any part of the model, you can shoot it? Like my friend has Space Marine Snipers. One is holding his gun in the air. I can see the gun above the cover. Does that count, or is it more "realistic". We said you couldn't shoot it, because I couldn't see any part of the models body.
There's no distinction as to what part of the model you can see. Rules as written if you can see anything, including the gun, you have line of sight.

quote:

Also, LoS is model by model correct? Say half my Vanguard unit is behind cover. Only the models with clear LoS can shoot. I may only be able to shoot with half the models in the unit, right?
Correct, only the models with actual line of sight to at least one model in the enemy unit can shoot. It doesn't matter how many of the enemy models can be seen, the entire squad can be killed and your opponent can remove whatever models they want. If you're firing multiple guns one at a time in your unit it doesn't matter if your opponent removes all the models you have line of sight to, once you've done the check one at the beginning of that squad's activation you don't check LOS again.

quote:

Characters. If my character is not the closest model, it can't be shot, correct? My closest model to the shooting unit was in close combat. I argued that it didn't matter, I had a model closer than my character, period.
Correct. It doesn't matter if the closer unit is a valid target or not, as long as there is a non-character closer than your character the character cannot be shot

quote:

Overwatch. If a model has a pistol and is already in close combat, it gets no overwatch, right?
Correct.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
LoS is still kind of dumb, though I'm not sure how you'd go about fixing it without standardizing terrain which would be a bit less fun. At least most armies aren't composed of crawling people/power squatters anymore

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Crini posted:

I don't really have a lot of models yet, maybe 2 or 3 squads of troops (guys with lasguns bought off eBay) 2 squads of troops still on the sprue, a command squad, 2 heavy weapons boxes, maybe 4 guys with meltas, 3 grenade launchers, 4 or 5 flamers, 3 guys with plasma, and a chimera with 2 heavy bolsters.

I'd like to field a force with a basilisk and a tank or two.

One of the nice things with mortars is that you can build them in addition to a lascannon, autocannon, heavy bolter (or missile launcher if you're ok leaving off the stand) if you buy some extra 70mm bases from china to stick them on with a spare guardsman or two.

Leman russes are really good, and also my favorite. I'm not a big fan of the motor pool of basilisks/artillery because it doesn't really provide much in the way of counterplay, where russes are a good bit more powerful if you can protect them and keep them alive and firing turn after turn.

Meltaguns and grenade launchers aren't great, but meltaguns are usable. Meltaguns are just a bit overpriced compared to plasma, and a similar deal with grenade launchers. Flamers are good in their niche.

The chimera is a good platform to deliver 2 command squads with meltas/plasmas, a command squad and special weapons squad, or a veteran squad, as those units tend to get shot off the board ASAP. Unfortunately, a chimera plus the guys inside it and an officer to ride shotgun and give them orders gets pretty expensive, generally more expensive than a scion squad or something with longer range that doesn't need a chimera to get it in range.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Neurolimal posted:

It depends on the army, for IG or 'nids or Chaos cultists they can be a pretty important aspect of the army, it's just that people like elite units and the big reason they weren't more prevalent in prior editions was how easy it was to snipe them out of an advancing force.

Most of the people you see running screening forces would likely have just had an army with no/minimal troops in older editions.

Oh. I’ve played (on and off) since 2nd, I know to an extent this has always been true; Just 8th feels quite extreme. I get that you can’t make Troops more effective at off’ing people than Elites (or why would we have Elites) but in more ways like ObjSec, I’d like to see them have greater value.

Basically more reasons to consider Troops ‘seriously’ because there’s more considerations than just ‘most efficiently deletes enemy units’

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Neurolimal posted:

LoS is still kind of dumb, though I'm not sure how you'd go about fixing it without standardizing terrain which would be a bit less fun. At least most armies aren't composed of crawling people/power squatters anymore

4th edition had a very straightforward and functional size system for models and terrain. Plenty of games use abstract model sizes and it works just fine.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
So is this a serviceable AdMech list for not-so-sweaty play?

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [80 PL, 1500pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

Archeotech Specialist (1 Relic)

Forge World: Mars

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched

+ HQ +

Belisarius Cawl [13 PL, 240pts]
. Warlord: Static Psalm-Code

Tech-Priest Dominus [7 PL, 129pts]: Anzion's Pseudogenetor, Eradication Ray, Omnissian Axe, Phosphor Serpenta

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers [7 PL, 104pts]: Enhanced data-tether
. 2x Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): 2x Transuranic arquebus
. Ranger Alpha: Galvanic rifle
. 4x Skitarii Ranger

Skitarii Vanguards [7 PL, 122pts]
. 6x Skitarii Vanguard
. 3x Vanguard (Plasma caliver): 3x Plasma caliver
. Vanguard Alpha: Radium Carbine

. 6x Skitarii Vanguard

+ Elites +

Cybernetica Datasmith [3 PL, 44pts]: Gamma pistol, Power fist

+ Fast Attack +

Ironstrider Ballistarii [4 PL, 95pts]
. Ironstrider Ballistarius: Twin Cognis Lascannon

Sydonian Dragoons [3 PL, 72pts]
. Sydonian Dragoon: Phosphor Serpenta, Taser lance

+ Heavy Support +

Kastelan Robots [12 PL, 220pts]
. Kastelan Robot: Heavy Phosphor blaster
. . Heavy phosphor blasters: 2x Heavy Phosphor blaster
. Kastelan Robot: Heavy Phosphor blaster
. . Heavy phosphor blasters: 2x Heavy Phosphor blaster

Onager Dunecrawler [7 PL, 145pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis heavy stubber
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber: Cognis heavy stubber, Neutron Laser

Onager Dunecrawler [7 PL, 135pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis heavy stubber, Icarus Array

++ Total: [80 PL, 1500pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Not related to your list per se, but I really dont understand the logic in the formatting behind explaining that Neutron Laser and Cognis Heavy Stubber provides a Neutron Laser and Cognis Heavy Stubber, but not that Icarus Array involves three different weapons.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

EvilBeard posted:

So is this a serviceable AdMech list for not-so-sweaty play?
Skitarii Rangers [7 PL, 104pts]: Enhanced data-tether
. 2x Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): 2x Transuranic arquebus
. Ranger Alpha: Galvanic rifle
. 4x Skitarii Ranger

Give these guys an Omnispex instead, they're going to be sitting on a sniper perch plinking away all game.

quote:

. 6x Skitarii Vanguard

. 6x Skitarii Vanguard

These guys need an enhanced data tether. It means with the stratagem you can Advance and fire your overcharged plasma safely, hitting on a 2+, which is absolutely fantastic mobility. Also with the big unit size you'll appreciate the morale benefit.

quote:

+ Elites +

Cybernetica Datasmith [3 PL, 44pts]: Gamma pistol, Power fist

Datasmiths are super optional; one command point for Binaric Override can do their job.

quote:

+ Fast Attack +

Ironstrider Ballistarii [4 PL, 95pts]
. Ironstrider Ballistarius: Twin Cognis Lascannon

Honestly I'd take a third Dragoon instead of the Ballistarii. Dunecrawlers are such fantastic anti-armour the Ballistarii just do their job but worse.

quote:

Onager Dunecrawler [7 PL, 145pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis heavy stubber
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber: Cognis heavy stubber, Neutron Laser

Onager Dunecrawler [7 PL, 135pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis heavy stubber, Icarus Array

While I like the Icarus Array for a lot of reasons, I think that a second Neutron Laser is almost always the more reliable pick. Two Onagers with neutron lasers firing at the same target will bring it down, and the ability to point at one tank a turn and delete it is such an essential ability. But my buddies are thick on the ground with Marines and Guard so I've never been in an environment with enough fliers to justify the Array.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thanqol posted:

Give these guys an Omnispex instead, they're going to be sitting on a sniper perch plinking away all game.

These guys need an enhanced data tether. It means with the stratagem you can Advance and fire your overcharged plasma safely, hitting on a 2+, which is absolutely fantastic mobility. Also with the big unit size you'll appreciate the morale benefit.

Datasmiths are super optional; one command point for Binaric Override can do their job.

Honestly I'd take a third Dragoon instead of the Ballistarii. Dunecrawlers are such fantastic anti-armour the Ballistarii just do their job but worse.

While I like the Icarus Array for a lot of reasons, I think that a second Neutron Laser is almost always the more reliable pick. Two Onagers with neutron lasers firing at the same target will bring it down, and the ability to point at one tank a turn and delete it is such an essential ability. But my buddies are thick on the ground with Marines and Guard so I've never been in an environment with enough fliers to justify the Array.

Yeah, I got my vanguard/Ranger units and their omnispex/tethers backwards when putting them in. I didn't know if the Datasmith at 40 points was worth a command point. I considered infiltrators also, but they're pretty pricey.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

EvilBeard posted:

Yeah, I got my vanguard/Ranger units and their omnispex/tethers backwards when putting them in. I didn't know if the Datasmith at 40 points was worth a command point. I considered infiltrators also, but they're pretty pricey.

Robots have a 36' range, so if they can be deployed in LOS of the enemy then you want to spend the CP to get that instant first-turn volley - you'd essentially be paying 1CP for 18 shots which is the most efficient command point you can possibly spend. If you do need to move the robots often then you want the Datasmith, but if that's the situation the robots likely aren't pulling their weight.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Having not read any black library stuff, is Know No Fear a good book to jump in with?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Booyah- posted:

Having not read any black library stuff, is Know No Fear a good book to jump in with?

I haven't read that book yet since I'm doing all of the HH books in order and am only on Fallen Angels. That said, the recommendation in the Black Library thread (and it's held really true so far) is that you should read the first three books of the series before jumping around to the others. Dan Abnett is really good though so I don't doubt the book would probably be solid.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Know No Fear stands pretty well on its own, to be honest. I'd say that as long as you have a general idea of what the Horus Heresy was, you can read it without any of the others.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Endman posted:

Know No Fear stands pretty well on its own, to be honest. I'd say that as long as you have a general idea of what the Horus Heresy was, you can read it without any of the others.

He could always start with Battle for the Abyss :haw:

Don't actually waste your time on that book.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Seems like reasonable pricing.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Know No Fear isn't a bad way to start. It's also very good for what it is (bolter porn) - the only BL book I read 3 times :v

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thanqol posted:

Robots have a 36' range, so if they can be deployed in LOS of the enemy then you want to spend the CP to get that instant first-turn volley - you'd essentially be paying 1CP for 18 shots which is the most efficient command point you can possibly spend. If you do need to move the robots often then you want the Datasmith, but if that's the situation the robots likely aren't pulling their weight.

I can see that. I was thinking more about the healing of them (and saving CP), allowing Cawl and TPD to take care of the other units and tangle in combat more. I'll give it a try once I get my fast attack units to make an actual brigade and get CP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

OhDearGodNo posted:

It’s a weekend in which most of us will fall back to painting in order to escape the Easter dinner devolution into political arguments, and yet I’m still greeted with this:

I need my badcast fix

abc7 Chicago posted posted:

Bodies found after toy soldier convention

Two unidentified bodies have been found in circumstances police describe as 'suspicious' following a toy soldier convention in Schaumburg, Illinois.

The two bodies, of unidentified males, were found in a dumpster at the rear of the Renaissance convention center, concealed beneath a layer of empty light beer cans.

Police sources have confirmed the involvement of homicide detectives and the FBI, and said the FBI are said to believe it to be the work of a dyslexic serial killer known as 'Periscope'.

Convention goers and residents are asked to report anything suspicious to police.

Thundercloud fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 1, 2018