Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I hope, because you said "pucks", that they were nickel spark plugs (big fat center electrodes).

Anyway, the gap will get larger as time goes on so don't worry about being so precise on the gap size.

Finally, you didn't mention this but in case someone tells you to or you see it online somewhere, do not use anti-seize when installing your spark plugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

I hope, because you said "pucks", that they were nickel spark plugs (big fat center electrodes).

Anyway, the gap will get larger as time goes on so don't worry about being so precise on the gap size.

Finally, you didn't mention this but in case someone tells you to or you see it online somewhere, do not use anti-seize when installing your spark plugs.

I'm honestly not sure. I just watched a how-to video on YouTube first and the guy was talking about not damaging the pucks. Here are the specific plugs:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-338000-genuine-bmw-ngk-silzbr8d8s-spark-plug-n20-n26/

I appreciate the tip on not using anti-seize. I'd read not to do that online, so I wasn't planning to. Y'all would probably laugh if you saw how carefully and thoroughly I'm approaching what is probably a pretty minor and unexciting chore to people who've done this poo poo before.

edit: Also, I was a little worried about the metal my plug scraped off the gapping tool being a problem, but I figured nobody would make a gapping tool out of something that would cause problems if it were scraped onto a plug, right?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Sure you can use a can of air duster, why not?

Okay, cool. The videos showed people using air compressors, so I wasn't sure.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Okay, cool. The videos showed people using air compressors, so I wasn't sure.
Most people who make videos work on the cars enough to own an air compressor I imagine. Hold the can upright and bend the straw, though. And you were right the coil pops out, you spray, and then remove the spark plug. Put the new spark plug in right away.

You have a torque wrench, right? I wouldn't touch spark plugs without it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
That's a precious metal spark plug so you've probably just scraped the center electrode onto our gap tool. Never, ever gap those things without proper training.

Admittedly, "proper training" is not really that much training... you just need the right tools like PIN gauges, etc.

What car/engine do you have?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

That's a precious metal spark plug so you've probably just scraped the center electrode onto our gap tool. Never, ever gap those things without proper training.

Admittedly, "proper training" is not really that much training... you just need the right tools like PIN gauges, etc.

What car/engine do you have?

Well, poo poo. The car is a 2013 BMW 328i. Did I just ruin a set of plugs?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cage posted:

Most people who make videos work on the cars enough to own an air compressor I imagine. Hold the can upright and bend the straw, though. And you were right the coil pops out, you spray, and then remove the spark plug. Put the new spark plug in right away.

You have a torque wrench, right? I wouldn't touch spark plugs without it.
Speaking of which, would you guys recommend getting a 1/2" or 3/8" torque wrench? I think this model in either size has been recommended previously: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5ZL0RU/

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's possible, though difficult to say without a good look at the spark plug center electrodes. Use a microscope (heh), a jeweler's loupe (heh), or at magnifying glass (you might actually have one!) to take a look.

Which engine do you have? Is it the N20B20 (2.0L T/C)?

Try this, might be a little cheaper: https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=40569

(Side note: ngk.com is not the website of NGK the spark plug company itself.)

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Yep, it’s the N20. And I’m leery of trusting my judgement on whether or not an electrode is damaged. I’m a total newbie. Probably safest to replace them, no?

Also, how should I properly gap them?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Also, how should I properly gap them?

You don't. It'll be fine, trust me.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Oh, and I do have a torque wrench. Just a cheapie one from HF. People told me that’d Be fine for this kind of thing. Hope that’s true.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

You don't. It'll be fine, trust me.

Are you sure? Installing plugs at .025” for a motor that wants (afaik) .031”?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Are you sure? Installing plugs at .025” for a motor that wants (afaik) .031”?

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=40569 posted:

Gap: .031" (0.8mm)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dadliest Worrier posted:

2) The answer is probably "no, dumbass," but can I use a can of compressed air for this job? If not, what's the least expensive setup I can get away with? This may literally be the only spark plug change I ever do, so I'm not eager to spend too much. On the other hand, I'm still saving about $300 in labor by doing it myself, so if it costs $100 to clean my spark plug wells, and I get some equipment out of it, I'm still coming out ahead.

You can also use a shopvac to suck the poo poo out of the holes.
I used it to get water out of them on an engine that I had just sprayed down.

Hold the nozzle *mostly* over the hole, so that some air can get in, it does some sort of turbulence/sciency stuff and picks up that poo poo. In my case, water. You case, any debris that isn't actually stuck to something.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Okay, I’m missing something, so I want to make sure I get this. I ordered those plugs, and checked them with the gap tool. Three were .025” and one was .024”. Having seen the .031” on that site, and having read that plugs can get bumped around in shipping and should be re-gapped before installation, I used the tool to gap them at .031-ish. Should I not have done that, and just trusted them not to have been tweaked in transit?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Okay, I’m missing something, so I want to make sure I get this. I ordered those plugs, and checked them with the gap tool. Three were .025” and one was .024”. Having seen the .031” on that site, and having read that plugs can get bumped around in shipping and should be re-gapped before installation, I used the tool to gap them at .031-ish. Should I not have done that, and just trusted them not to have been tweaked in transit?
He linked you to a spark plug that already has the correct gap. Not sure if that's the same one you already have or not, I'm on mobile.

If you have the exact ones in the link he sent you shouldn't have touched anything. If you have a different set I think he's saying to just buy those.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Number one, I wouldn't trust some cheap gauges you just picked up anywhere. Even so, you probably don't have pin gauges, which is what you really need to measure spark plug gaps. By the way, if anyone ever does want to get pin gauges for spark plug gaps, class ZZ is sufficient.

Number two, you'll still be fine with a slightly smaller gap (e.g. 0.1mm). Do not worry about it.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Okay. Guess I should’ve checked in here before gapping the first set. Oh well, I’m still saving money overall, as long as I don’t gently caress up the installation.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
2014 Dodge Grand Caravan:

The car has a shudder at highway speeds (55+). Looking around, it looks like a good bet that this is probably rotor related.

It has 60k miles with original brakes, so I'm going to just replace the brakes/rotors anyway.

Does anyone have a recommendation of the million different ones Rockauto sells?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

Number one, I wouldn't trust some cheap gauges you just picked up anywhere. Even so, you probably don't have pin gauges, which is what you really need to measure spark plug gaps. By the way, if anyone ever does want to get pin gauges for spark plug gaps, class ZZ is sufficient.

Number two, you'll still be fine with a slightly smaller gap (e.g. 0.1mm). Do not worry about it.

Never heard of using pin gauges for this, are feelers not adequate for measuring?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

2014 Dodge Grand Caravan:

The car has a shudder at highway speeds (55+). Looking around, it looks like a good bet that this is probably rotor related.

It has 60k miles with original brakes, so I'm going to just replace the brakes/rotors anyway.

Does anyone have a recommendation of the million different ones Rockauto sells?

Is it a shudder when braking, or while driving at a constant speed? Under braking, yes, just do a pad and rotor swap. Raybestos and Centric are solid brands.

If it's at all times at high speed, you probably just need your tires rebalanced.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

wolrah posted:

If it is just an open diff it *should* be fine with minor differences in speed. If it has limited slip type functionality it probably will not be ok with it.

Even an open differential doesn't like to have the outputs going at different speeds for long periods. Find a way to afford four tires, or you will find a way to afford a new transfer case.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EightBit posted:

Even an open differential doesn't like to have the outputs going at different speeds for long periods. Find a way to afford four tires, or you will find a way to afford a new transfer case.

Agreed. With that said, if the front output is a fixed yoke (ie not a slip joint that will spew fluid without a driveshaft installed), pulling the front shaft is one way to get by for now. The only problem is that you're creating a difference in wear between your new rear tires now and your new front tires later.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

shovelbum posted:

Never heard of using pin gauges for this, are feelers not adequate for measuring?

For measuring precious metal spark plugs, the concern is with damaging the center electrode. Pin gauges minimize that risk. It's not difficult at all to cause damage with a block gauge.

You can certainly try to be careful with other types of gauges but then you can end up measuring the gap as being smaller than it is due to your caution.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

EightBit posted:

Great point

IOwnCalculus posted:

Agreed. With that said, if the front output is a fixed yoke (ie not a slip joint that will spew fluid without a driveshaft installed), pulling the front shaft is one way to get by for now. The only problem is that you're creating a difference in wear between your new rear tires now and your new front tires later.
It was interesting to learn about driveshafts/differentials if nothing else.

All this talk of transfer cases making GBS threads themselves and transmissions falling out has scared me sufficiently enough to just bother my GF for a short-time loan and get new tires. Your tires have more responsibility for your safety and transmission from A to B than anything else, so I have to get it done.

Thanks

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Re: spark plug chat

My civic has 115k miles on it and is 13 years old. I've never changed the spark plugs. Do you change them on an interval or after you start having problems?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

For measuring precious metal spark plugs, the concern is with damaging the center electrode. Pin gauges minimize that risk. It's not difficult at all to cause damage with a block gauge.

You can certainly try to be careful with other types of gauges but then you can end up measuring the gap as being smaller than it is due to your caution.

Oh that makes sense, bc it's just gonna be a little curve section instead of a flat. Gasoline is devil magic, diesel just lights itself like God intended

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

My civic has 115k miles on it and is 13 years old. I've never changed the spark plugs. Do you change them on an interval or after you start having problems?

Do you really want to wait until your engine is misfiring and potentially trashing your catalytic converter with unburnt fuel, to do some of the cheapest and easiest maintenance your car will ever need?

100k is the longest interval I've ever seen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

tactlessbastard posted:

With luck, you're only 15k miles late. Might be 35 or 65, but you probably would've noticed. Have you ever looked at the little book in the glove box?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

shovelbum posted:

Oh that makes sense, bc it's just gonna be a little curve section instead of a flat. Gasoline is devil magic, diesel just lights itself like God intended

Yeah, with a pin gauge, you generally just let it fall in the gap and maybe give it a little turn in your fingers in case it's not lined up well. If it doesn't go through, pick another gauge and try again. That's how you really avoid the damage.

With a block gauge, you can try to turn it a bit but then you can end up using the center electrode as a lever, for example, and damage the tip. Or, if you force it, you break the tip off. That kind of thing.

tactlessbastard posted:

Change intervals are generally 30k for nickel, 60k for platinum, and 100k for iridium. However, it depends on a few other things. For example, turbo engines have higher demand voltages so the change intervals can be smaller (e.g. GM's turbo engines are now all 60k miles for iridium because of the high demand voltage).

Some designs may have higher gap growth rate, like these, and hence different change intervals (check your manual).

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do you really want to wait until your engine is misfiring and potentially trashing your catalytic converter with unburnt fuel, to do some of the cheapest and easiest maintenance your car will ever need?

100k is the longest interval I've ever seen.

Godholio posted:

With luck, you're only 15k miles late. Might be 35 or 65, but you probably would've noticed. Have you ever looked at the little book in the glove box?

To be honest, when it comes to changing spark plugs, it's not really that big of a deal to stick to the manual exactly. It depends a lot on your engine and how you drive. If you do a lot of highway miles at 60-70, you could probably wait much longer to change your plugs. If you've got a turbo engine, live in the city, have a lead foot, and like to keep a bunch of heavy junk in your car, you'll probably need to change more often.

There's so many variables, we often just go with "Were/are there any problems? No? Then it's fine."

But certainly changing spark plugs is one of the easiest maintenance items for MOST people (RIP Subaru and Boxter owners), you don't have to do it very often, and it's USUALLY fairly cheap, so go and change the spark plugs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Also, changing the plugs on a Honda four cylinder is pretty much the easiest car maintenance task known to mankind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

To be honest, when it comes to changing spark plugs, it's not really that big of a deal to stick to the manual exactly. It depends a lot on your engine and how you drive. If you do a lot of highway miles at 60-70, you could probably wait much longer to change your plugs. If you've got a turbo engine, live in the city, have a lead foot, and like to keep a bunch of heavy junk in your car, you'll probably need to change more often.

I agree, and I've certainly let some cars go way too drat long without plugs (never did touch them on my Ranger) if they're a pain in the dick to do. The 100k plugs I pulled out of my CRV looked drat near new; the wrong-heat-range 30k plugs I pulled out of my WJ were loving roasted. But neither had any notable reduction in fuel economy or performance.

With that said:

MrYenko posted:

Also, changing the plugs on a Honda four cylinder is pretty much the easiest car maintenance task known to mankind.

Yeah, this. The CR-V is the easiest plug job I've ever done on any car. Even the WJ isn't too bad because the plugs all point straight up at the intake, instead of being buried adjacent to the exhaust ports like I'm used to on GM V8s.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Is there a standard torque spec for fasteners that isn't application specific?

Like....... 1/4-20 nuts/bolts should be torqued to 35 ft lbs or 1/2-13 should be torqued to 80 ft lbs, unless there is a different spec stated by the manufacturer of a specific car/piece of machinery etc?

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
2011 Honda insight
OK so I have been broke forever and just now have enough money to replace or improve my car.

It's functioning perfectly fine but it lacks several amenities of a more modern or luxury car. No back up camera or blue tooth. No Satellite radio or steering wheel based controls for anything.

So how expensive is it or is it reasonable to have some of these things added or upgraded to my car? Like I know I can get a new radio with blue tooth. But can controls be added to the steering wheel and can a back up camera be added?

Is this even a good idea? Or should I just get a newer car now that I can afford either option? If I bought a new car I'd want a plug in hybrid like a Honda clarity or plug in Prius.

Apologies if this totally in the wrong place. Please redirect me if so.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'd get a new car.
The wiring and stuff might be in the car already, for the steering wheel radio controls for example. But only if it was available in the first place. If thats the case, you could probably get a junkyard steering wheel and the appropriate radio from the JY and it may be a case of plug and play. If it was not available, it would be exceedingly difficult, and expensive to do so.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

wesleywillis posted:

I'd get a new car.
The wiring and stuff might be in the car already, for the steering wheel radio controls for example. But only if it was available in the first place. If thats the case, you could probably get a junkyard steering wheel and the appropriate radio from the JY and it may be a case of plug and play. If it was not available, it would be exceedingly difficult, and expensive to do so.

Just switching to a Bluetooth radio with satellite would be relatively affordable though?

Either way I don't know anything about cars so I'd definitely depend on someone doing it for me. Not sure if this is the kind of thing you go to best buy for or Honda or a local mechanic?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Sounds like I should change the spark plugs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Doctor Party posted:

2011 Honda insight
OK so I have been broke forever and just now have enough money to replace or improve my car.

It's functioning perfectly fine but it lacks several amenities of a more modern or luxury car. No back up camera or blue tooth. No Satellite radio or steering wheel based controls for anything.

So how expensive is it or is it reasonable to have some of these things added or upgraded to my car? Like I know I can get a new radio with blue tooth. But can controls be added to the steering wheel and can a back up camera be added?

Is this even a good idea? Or should I just get a newer car now that I can afford either option? If I bought a new car I'd want a plug in hybrid like a Honda clarity or plug in Prius.

Apologies if this totally in the wrong place. Please redirect me if so.

You can get a bluetooth adapter that plugs into the AUX port on the radio if you have one, or one that broadcasts on an FM frequency if you don't.

Backup cameras similarly can be installed fairly easily.

Trade your car in for something newer if you really don't like it, otherwise you can retrofit it.

(note, I'm not endorsing the linked products, just pointing to examples to illustrate what's available)

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

Is there a standard torque spec for fasteners that isn't application specific?

Like....... 1/4-20 nuts/bolts should be torqued to 35 ft lbs or 1/2-13 should be torqued to 80 ft lbs, unless there is a different spec stated by the manufacturer of a specific car/piece of machinery etc?

http://www.portlandbolt.com/technical/bolt-torque-chart/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Deteriorata posted:

You can get a bluetooth adapter that plugs into the AUX port on the radio if you have one, or one that broadcasts on an FM frequency if you don't.

Backup cameras similarly can be installed fairly easily.

Trade your car in for something newer if you really don't like it, otherwise you can retrofit it.

(note, I'm not endorsing the linked products, just pointing to examples to illustrate what's available)

Yeah I've used those blue tooth plug in deals and they're meh. I've had a few different models. That's why I am thinking either replace the actual radio or just live with it until I get a new car.

So who do I go to to have this done if I wanted a quote? A body shop or auto customization place?