Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caphi posted:

I'm surprised by how much X isn't introducing its new inclusions. Wataru is the main plot but both Nadia and G-Reco have popped in quite a ways into their runs. You'd think Buddy Complex would start at the top, being an isekai already, but I honestly expect it to show up with the main dudes through a couple major battles at this point.

Honestly, I'm okay with this provided it leaves more time for cross series interaction. It's always slightly ludicrous when you go through like 8 stages in a row of "protagonist falls into robot for first time, shoots down 3 grunts from his series".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I greatly enjoy that Sazabi still has the dorky windmill punches for his beam sabers in this game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I always love when people get super mad about the "poo poo" animation for the doofy windmill saber spin without realizing that it's a direct and intentional callback to a scene in CCA.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The final attack for the Bilbine is so much better than anything the Sirbine has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jps91ieT1PQ

Also it looks like Dunbineis post plot. That seems crazy since the setting of this game is almost custom made to be able to tell its story.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 31, 2018

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
https://twitter.com/srw_xomg/status/980098287125504005

I'm slain.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What's it saying? Can you get generic guys as an April Fools joke?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
They were kinda lazy so they didn't actually implement anything in-game beyond the banner - shame because I would have appreciated rando DC guys even if they were useless.

The message is just parodying the general hyping they do for events (including "voiced pilot parts" for the DC pilots - at the start of X-O, there wasn't any voices and they later implement this through equippable pilot parts usually given out through events)

Anyway here's your X related AF joke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUiV1_Ca2CQ

(Who the heck IS this guy?)

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Davzz posted:

They were kinda lazy so they didn't actually implement anything in-game beyond the banner - shame because I would have appreciated rando DC guys even if they were useless.

The message is just parodying the general hyping they do for events (including "voiced pilot parts" for the DC pilots - at the start of X-O, there wasn't any voices and they later implement this through equippable pilot parts usually given out through events)

Anyway here's your X related AF joke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUiV1_Ca2CQ

(Who the heck IS this guy?)

They've been doing SRW X promotional stuff with the Furiwake Oyakata, who is a sumo wrestler/coach that enjoys SRW games.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kanos posted:

I always love when people get super mad about the "poo poo" animation for the doofy windmill saber spin without realizing that it's a direct and intentional callback to a scene in CCA.
I think most of the anger is at how rough the silly saber spin looks, when the Alpha 2/3 incarnation of the Sazabi (which acts as an easy point of reference) had the exact same attack motion, but with tighter execution. Personally, I think the main difference between games is that Alpha's version is a quick flourish at the end of the attack that you might not notice, while the Z3/X version has the windmill spin right in your face on full display so you can see the less refined parts of the animation more clearly. Then again, Char flailing around like a dork while trying to act cool fits him like a glove, so having the animation be clunky is perfectly fitting for the pilot inside the robot.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Hokuto posted:

They've been doing SRW X promotional stuff with the Furiwake Oyakata, who is a sumo wrestler/coach that enjoys SRW games.

How comparable is this to getting John Cena in America?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hes a sumo wrestler, not a pro wrestler. hes a legitimate athlete. he was very popular in his day. if, say, shaq is a 95 and tiger woods is an 80 id say hes a 75 in terms of cultural relevance. im not exactly big into sumo though so i might be off on that, but ive heard of him before in passing just as someone who's keyed into japanese pop culture.

also his nickname was robocop and his favorite anime is gundam seed. Which, you know, fair. if he was being fake he would have said 0079 or unicorn, but seed being your favorite anime is like, an opinion. I respect it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 31, 2018

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

AradoBalanga posted:

I think most of the anger is at how rough the silly saber spin looks, when the Alpha 2/3 incarnation of the Sazabi (which acts as an easy point of reference) had the exact same attack motion, but with tighter execution. Personally, I think the main difference between games is that Alpha's version is a quick flourish at the end of the attack that you might not notice, while the Z3/X version has the windmill spin right in your face on full display so you can see the less refined parts of the animation more clearly. Then again, Char flailing around like a dork while trying to act cool fits him like a glove, so having the animation be clunky is perfectly fitting for the pilot inside the robot.

It looks a lot better at a different angle, the Z3 version mostly just looks like he's wafting his arm up and down instead of doing the doofy windmill thing. Char is a doof though.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

also his nickname was robocop and his favorite anime is gundam seed. Which, you know, fair. if he was being fake he would have said 0079 or unicorn, but seed being your favorite anime is like, an opinion. I respect it.

Endorph answered this way better than I could have. Also I agree, it's important to have personal hot takes.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Fittingly, SEED is the John Cena of Gundam shows.

Hokuto posted:

Endorph answered this way better than I could have. Also I agree, it's important to have personal hot takes.

I mean, during your last stream I learned I'll still "um, actually..." people over Crossbone Gundam. So... Same.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 1, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AradoBalanga posted:

To be honest a lot of the animations in this game feels like they stripped out half the frames and leads to them jerking around. Especially compared to the OG series animations which are very fluid. It's doubly odd because some animations are fluid, but others are just... stiff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, generally series tend to have their own animators, right? Compare the G-Reco animations to the Cross Ange animations, for instance. That's why you sometimes wind up with B/C-listers who look better than the main mechs of other shows, like that 3DS game where the random GN grunts from the 00 movie have better animations than 90% of the cast.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Z3.1 Arbalest vs like the Gundam Mk.II is a strong example of that. Though obviously the space de Danaan is the main character of FMP based on the effort spent on cut ins.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

Well, generally series tend to have their own animators, right? Compare the G-Reco animations to the Cross Ange animations, for instance. That's why you sometimes wind up with B/C-listers who look better than the main mechs of other shows, like that 3DS game where the random GN grunts from the 00 movie have better animations than 90% of the cast.

UX was a really strange and messy game. I think that one was less different teams and more them having made the animations in order of appearance for some reason while also learning how to animate at all. So early joiners get really bad animations while people that join super late (Like the aformentioned GN grunts) get really good animation.

Luckily the mess that was UX led to BX which, despite having a really lame original, has really drat good animations for everything in it. Plus it has both Galient AND Gorg, making it one of the best SRW games by default.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Ethiser posted:

The final attack for the Bilbine is so much better than anything the Sirbine has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jps91ieT1PQ

Also it looks like Dunbineis post plot. That seems crazy since the setting of this game is almost custom made to be able to tell its story.

I honestly found myself having similar thoughts, and it's why I'm looking forward to a new OG title. To me it almost feels like they're constrained by replicating the source material in the crossover stuff, whereas with the OG mecha they just do whatever wild poo poo they feel like as long as it ends with the reals flying away, silhouetted by explosion with glowing green eyes, and the supers standing triumphant in an Obari as gently caress pose.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Infinity Gaia posted:

UX was a really strange and messy game. I think that one was less different teams and more them having made the animations in order of appearance for some reason while also learning how to animate at all. So early joiners get really bad animations while people that join super late (Like the aformentioned GN grunts) get really good animation.

Luckily the mess that was UX led to BX which, despite having a really lame original, has really drat good animations for everything in it. Plus it has both Galient AND Gorg, making it one of the best SRW games by default.

Neither Galient or Gorg being in X is such a shame

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I'm interested in the opinions of people who are playing X's Expert Mode - as far as I know, the differences are

1) Enemies get significantly higher mech upgrades, to the point where some of them actually have their Custom Bonuses.

2) The SR Point for all missions are set to "Win battle without Retrying" (which I assume means no Game Over trick) instead of their usual.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, it would seem that X is taking some liberties with ZZ's plot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I need to make a list of "X was recruitable before Cima Garahau"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
We recruited Yazan.

Nothing shocks me anymore.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ok but can we just kill him instead?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Onmi posted:

If she wanted to be recruitable she shouldn't have betrayed Glorious Zeon!!!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

We recruited Yazan.

Nothing shocks me anymore.

To be fair, if you tone down Yazan's murderousness a little bit he's pretty believable. Dude's main personality trait is "loving loves fighting" and that description fits a lot of the player cast already. Given that his primary crimes are "killing good guy characters"(which doesn't happen in SRW most of the time) and "killed his own idiot superior"(something we're trying to do constantly anyway), well, yeah.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Basically I wish they'd just drop vita and do everything on the PS3/PS4 engine; regardless of the crappy translation in OGMD the animations in V just look so stilted sometimes relative to big console games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man I love Shibaraku. I love his hippo face and I love his silly robot.

Edit: Yazan just seems out of place in Gundam since it’s full of sad sacks who haven’t squared themselves with their job as soldiers. He’ll be in the same game with Io someday and we’ll see he’s the far more well adjusted of the two.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 1, 2018

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
So apparently X borrows story elements from the Buddy Complex mobile game (which I've not played and barely know anything about), which leads to this.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

To be fair, if you tone down Yazan's murderousness a little bit he's pretty believable. Dude's main personality trait is "loving loves fighting" and that description fits a lot of the player cast already. Given that his primary crimes are "killing good guy characters"(which doesn't happen in SRW most of the time) and "killed his own idiot superior"(something we're trying to do constantly anyway), well, yeah.

He even goes back to working for the Federation later. Getting Yazan on your side is just a matter of giving him a target he wants to kill more than you and looking the other way for his methods. He's a monster, but he's a straightforward, useful monster.

Glemy Toto is just a creepy piece of poo poo.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Onmi posted:

Anavel Gato, Char Aznable, Haman Karn (love her, but come on, you saw what she tried to do in ZZ), Glemmy Toto, Yazan Gable, Jerid Messa, Full Frontal, Gabil from Macross 7, and a lot more than I can remember right now.

Edit: Katejina and Chronicle.

Justin_Brett posted:

If she wanted to be recruitable she shouldn't have betrayed Glorious Zeon!!!

We could save Reccoa despite her betraying AEUG because she thought they didn't respect her, then sided with Scirocco, a man who respects no one but himself. At least Cima had evidence they didn't respect her and blamed her for something that wasn't her fault, Reccoa was just nuts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gabil is 'recruited' at the end of MX7 so at least that makes some sense. He's the only non-Glepenich protodevlin to survive.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man I love Shibaraku. I love his hippo face and I love his silly robot.

I love his straight face in front of girls more. That series is one of the main reason I got SRW X. I love that show when I was a kid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inferno-sama posted:

Anavel Gato, Char Aznable, Haman Karn (love her, but come on, you saw what she tried to do in ZZ), Glemmy Toto, Yazan Gable, Jerid Messa, Full Frontal, Gabil from Macross 7, and a lot more than I can remember right now.

Edit: Katejina and Chronicle.
Jason Beck.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I absolutely love that in the first major OG plot stage Amari runs off on her own, but Aida follows her and they have a little bonding moment and a character moment for a Gundam character right there in a stage where the main plot is Amari coming out as an apostate and Iori being revealed. It gives me real good feelings about this game's writing in general.

Also I don't know if this'll stick until endgame but I'm actually interested in how Amari works as a villain/rival which is not a feeling I ever had about Chitose.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Inferno-sama posted:

There's a route split in Alpha 2 that lets you choose between Haman Karn and equipping the GP-02 with nukes.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I wonder what that stage will look like when it's translated. Without being able to read, it looks like:

"Those new arrivals are being attacked by golems."
OG: "Well, we can't let that happen. But they're mindless automatons and no one could expect people being pulled into this world at this exact place and time. It's probably an accident."
Masked Superior: "It's not an accident. Time for you and your alien friends to die, traitor."
OG: "Wait, you were actually evil? I was feeling unfulfilled, but had no idea this was going on."
Masked Superior: *starts losing* "Well, that's what I get for using this cheap AW. Time to exit stage right."
OG: "Oh screw that! *pulls new move out of nowhere, tearing off mask* You! ...Should I be surprised by this?"
Other OG: "No, but they should be."

It doesn't have the same wow factor V did, but I'm seeing a lot of neat character scenes - especially with Wataru.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I actually forgot you could recruit loving Gabil in two different games. Are there many Gabil fans out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Caphi posted:

I absolutely love that in the first major OG plot stage Amari runs off on her own, but Aida follows her and they have a little bonding moment and a character moment for a Gundam character right there in a stage where the main plot is Amari coming out as an apostate and Iori being revealed. It gives me real good feelings about this game's writing in general.

Also I don't know if this'll stick until endgame but I'm actually interested in how Amari works as a villain/rival which is not a feeling I ever had about Chitose.

The short answer for Chitose is, obviously, she doesn't. Her main motivation is wanting to help and not wanting to feel useless so you yell at her a couple of times and tell her she isn't useless and that the Gardim are obviously lying to her and using her desperation to manipulate her. Then she joins and you give her the Vangray II and that's pretty much it. I vaguely remember her motivation for staying behind is feeling like she'll just get in the way as well as Soji's reason of just deciding to make a life for himself in AD World. She's just nice and sweet and good so it doesn't really work at all outside of it being remotely believable that she'd fall for the trick because she wants to help that badly.

If only there was a way to get the major dunks on Soji AND Chitose's ultimate wholesome niceness at the same time.

• Locked thread