Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Suddenly, two tethered balls of searing plasma whip across the deck, end-over-end, dismembering crew and destroying consoles as it flew along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Brawnfire posted:

Suddenly, two tethered balls of searing plasma whip across the deck, end-over-end, dismembering crew and destroying consoles as it flew along.

NNNNFFF that's the poo poo right there

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

WampaLord posted:

Okay but he was right at the end, so ultimately he didn't waste his life. He gets to go back to being young Jake with his alive dad.

Like I said, it just kind of misses the point.

Yeah, in hindsight. Sisko had no way of knowing Jake would ever figure it out. Jake had no way of knowing he'd ever figure it out. It only worked because you're not going to kill off the main character randomly in the middle of the show.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Are there any media with space triremes? I wanna see tons of ships just smashing into one another and swarming each other with laser spears.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Old Jake ended up being right AND it was an emotionally grueling experience, what's so hard about this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sir Lemming posted:

Old Jake ended up being right AND it was an emotionally grueling experience, what's so hard about this.

Goons are notoriously bad at empathy

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Visitor?

You mean the future without a Dominion war where billions and billions of people live stable happy lives including Jake?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kazinsal posted:

I would love to have him as a theatre professor. He may not have explicit passion about a specific project but he does seem to have passion about the craft and the characters he plays.

My dad had him as a theater professor and does a very good impression of the time Avery Brooks yelled at him for performing a McDonald's commercial instead of something artistic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Grand Fromage posted:

My dad had him as a theater professor and does a very good impression of the time Avery Brooks yelled at him for performing a McDonald's commercial instead of something artistic.

I’m still! Imagining! That it was shouted! Like this! At him!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

"Next time, I do NOT want a commercial."

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Brawnfire posted:

Are there any media with space triremes? I wanna see tons of ships just smashing into one another and swarming each other with laser spears.
Close.

Spelljammer was the most :krad: campaign setting.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Just watched "The Wire" in my DS9 rewatch. I had taken for granted that Garak was the best character for so long that it had almost become a joke in my mind. Now I'm reminded that it isn't a joke.

Garak owns. DS9 owns.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The_Doctor posted:

I’m still! Imagining! That it was shouted! Like this! At him!

Sisko talks like a black preacher. If you've ever been to a predominately black church, especially in the South, you know what I'm talking about.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Itzena posted:

Close.

Spelljammer was the most :krad: campaign setting.

I'm running a spelljammer campaign right now but the players don't know it yet!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Quark and Co being the aliens from Roswell is so good. This show is so good.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Windows 98 posted:

You were told...

Wait for the surprise.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Good episode. A+

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There are some really good episodes in season 4 that don’t get talked about a lot (also some that do).

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

McNally posted:

Actually, Jake's obsession with getting his father back caused his wife to leave him. As family-oriented as Sisko is, I can understand how he'd view that as terrible. Bear in mind that after Jake got married and became a renowned writer, he dropped all of that poo poo to focus entirely on rescuing his dad and spent decades of his life to that single purpose. THAT was the waste.

yeah doesnt it turn out that he only wrote the one book? like yes it was tremendously successful but it was the only thing he ever did, and the success only demonstrates that he had an incredible potential to write more fantastic stories and he wasted all of it essentially chasing his father's ghost

i'm not trying to be rude or a jerk but i'm honestly dumbfounded to hear someone say anything negative about The Visitor, it's easily one of (if not THE) best trek episodes, period. flawless hour of television, it takes full advantage of its genre, doing exactly what sci-fi is supposed to do. it's so relatable, and even believable despite the fantastical premise. it's so well written and especially soooo well acted*, it might be my favorite TV episode ever.

*there's a video blog podcast type thingy called The Alpha Quadrant made and starring who else but Harry Kim and mf'ing Nog, Garret Wang and Aron Eisenberg together with one or two different friends or guest stars each episode, discussing different new sci-fi TV show episodes, like STD, Orville, and others. It's surprisingly good, it's hilarious watching Nog clown on Harry Kim, although
a little Eisenberg goes a long way: dude TALKS. and TALKS. and TALKS.

but anyway, there's an episode where the guest is the lovely Armin Shimmerman. it's delightful watching him get absolutely fed up with how annoying Eisenberg is, you can look at his face and almost see his mind thinking "holy poo poo, I had completely forgotten what he's like off camera, why did I agree to this?" they swap some great and informative ds9 stories and during a discussion about The Visitor, Eisenberg talks about working with Tony Todd and how dedicated he was to his performance.

He spent hours talking with Eisenberg about Cirroc Lofton, not just about the character of Jake but about Cirroc himself, to get a feel for the real guy and help further inform his performance. It really paid off too: obviously Tony Todd is super recognizable, just his voice alone is unmistakable, and he's been so many different characters under so many different prosthetics and shades of makeup. and while he doesn't look much like Cirroc at all, I always found it super easy to suspend my disbelief and say "yep, that's Jake right there, that's who Jake grows up to be" without ever questioning it one bit.

His scenes with Avery are particularly moving, quite a feat as this is their first interaction together and yet it feels every bit as though we are seeing a now grown son finally, momentarily reunited with the father he has sacrificed his entire life to chase and rescue. The love is almost palpable. you can absolutely buy that Tony Todd is that man, that he is the guy who did all of this because he loves his dad Avery Brooks so drat much. God, I could keep gushing over this episode forever :allears:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I honestly don't get the people criticizing aspects of The Visitor myself, either. Like, I try hard not to judge people for having different opinions, or toss around accusations of brokebrainedness, but this 'why was Sisko so sad that Jake wasted most of his life and sacrificed his family and killed himself to get him back, it worked and he's erased and Jake gets to live a different life, so why should Sisko be upset, so what' stuff is just, like, :ohdear:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Star Trek fans not understanding feelings and emotions :monocle:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md3dHyZJG9E

I love these

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
The scene of Paris riding around on what is now the set of The Good Place on the Universal backlot...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

marktheando posted:

Ah of course. The holodeck image analysis scene was really cool.

That scene still creeps the gently caress out of me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty sure you can make 10 videos with clips from Voyager like that

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

not sure the sets actually got better

I'm guessing that was Nemesis. So lame even the set decorators couldn't be bothered anymore.

Compare Stellar Cartography in Generations to Nemesis. Or hell, even Voyager's TV show set to Nemesis'.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

just finished seasons one through six, there might be something good in seven but as it stands that video not only contains every single decent moment in the show so far but is also on its own better than any/every individual episode

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I wish Voyager was just the doctor, Janeway(minus her holodeck episodes), and seven of nine and a bunch of faceless mooks.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It basically is.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It basically is.

Well I'd say Tuvok, and to a lesser extant, Tom had their moments.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tom hosed a spaceship and a salamander

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sisko dropping off the face of existence evidently prevented the Dominion War and saved billions of lives

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

Sisko dropping off the face of existence evidently prevented the Dominion War and saved billions of lives

There are many alternate futures

In this one, section 31 closed the wormhole and giganuked the founders home world

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Windows 98 posted:

The best part of Little Green Men is Nog pondering how much Sisko looks like the leader of the Bell Riots.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

There are many alternate futures

In this one, section 31 closed the wormhole and giganuked the founders home world

Janeway basically broke all kinds of laws of God and man and did this to the Borg in Endgame, a race made of slaves who can be fully liberated and return to their lives unlike the Dominion manufactured species, and no one made a peep!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

Janeway basically broke all kinds of laws of God and man and did this to the Borg in Endgame, a race made of slaves who can be fully liberated and return to their lives unlike the Dominion manufactured species, and no one made a peep!

Well they did "promote" her to admiral to keep her from causing any more trouble, pursuant to Star Fleet regulations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At 4:41 just now, the NCAA women's basketball final went into the 4th quarter tied 41-41. Should I decompress the main shuttlebay or something?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

At 4:41 just now, the NCAA women's basketball final went into the 4th quarter tied 41-41. Should I decompress the main shuttlebay or something?

It's like letting the air out if a balloon!

Wait... no... uh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Railing Kill posted:

Just watched "The Wire" in my DS9 rewatch. I had taken for granted that Garak was the best character for so long that it had almost become a joke in my mind. Now I'm reminded that it isn't a joke.

Garak owns. DS9 owns.

Rom is the best character, Garak is 2nd.