Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

padijun posted:

make me a mod so I can just nuke all these jokers making the podcast equivalent of "her elbows are ugly" in 2018

I think you might have read my comment as much more hostile than it was intended to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
YIMBYs issue is while they’re for new housing they’re against dictating who that housing should be for. The idea that the free market will build affordable housing and not more luxury housing is laughable and the huge flaw YIMBYs refuse to accept.

It’s people who think you can fix the housing crisis through market forces if only the Goverment would get out of the way , which is right wing as gently caress

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bay Area YIMBYs are basically doing trickle down economics with housing, which is probably the most concise way to sum up the problem with them.

Bay Area NIMBYs are far worse though. What I'm saying is nuke the Peninsula

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
the boys can't pronounce anything well and the guests pronounce everything too well

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Just love people who pronounce Mexico, Latino, Nicaragua, etc. like they're speaking Spanish when they're speaking English but then proceed to say Germany, Italy, and France instead of Deutschland, Italia, and Fronce.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I pronounce it "Uhr-uh-why" because of my Latin American Politics professor; I await my struggle session with the commissar.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's pronounced "ur gay."

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Most Americans probably haven't met a person from Italy, but probably know and talk to several people from lahteeno countries is why, I'd guess

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Love to complain about lack of outreach to German-Americans from the DSA.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The ramble about the white working class was like if they went "We can finally drop that dumb as poo poo talking point and be able to pin it on something else before people start making speeches about "normal people" or whatever the gently caress".

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Take the YIMBY support for the bill to completely remove local zoning control from any neighborhood with a bus route or train stop. Now rich neighborhood can just remove their bus route (they already blocked the train stops) and avoid this new dense development but poor neighborhoods would have even less control over the future of their community, hurray progress! But if you point this out, you're a NIMBY who hates freedom and housing.

Really DSA-LA goes into far better detail about why the bill and the general attitude of "let developers be developers" is dumb http://www.dsa-la.org/statement_in_opposition_to_sb_827

Maybe it's the terms NIMBY and YIMBY that make it look like a dichotomy. You can be both in favor of high density development as well as public housing or rent controls.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if you have a bunch of libertarians lining up behind something it's a safe bet it's rotten.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Just love people who pronounce Mexico, Latino, Nicaragua, etc. like they're speaking Spanish when they're speaking English but then proceed to say Germany, Italy, and France instead of Deutschland, Italia, and Fronce.

whooooooo fuuuuuuckin caaaaaaaares

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
sir you have commited a class 1 word not talk good felony come with us

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Maybe it's the terms NIMBY and YIMBY that make it look like a dichotomy. You can be both in favor of high density development as well as public housing or rent controls.

LOL in the show Shanti says that they intentionally frame the issue as "well if you're not a YIMBY you're a NIMBY obstructionist."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pharmaskittle posted:

Most Americans probably haven't met a person from Italy, but probably know and talk to several people from lahteeno countries is why, I'd guess

In California? No, I don't think there's anyone like that there.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

personally everyone should replace all their filler words with SKRRRRRT and pronounce every proper noun like a Chicago guy wearing seventeen different articles of Cubs apparel.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

i am deeply offended by the naturalistic verbal mannerisms of young women, as is my wont

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

also yes when cities have given the market free reign all it's produced so far has been techbro dorms and luxury condos while public housing and low-income neighborhoods get razed

I live in downtown Long Beach California and it's becoming the cool place to live now which means they are building high rises everywhere and section 8 housing is getting rid of their tenants so they can fix up the lovely apartments and charge way too much money for them.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I Before E posted:

personally everyone should replace all their filler words with SKRRRRRT

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/979762026909122561
https://twitter.com/crulge/status/980158960274690049

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

standardised testing is loving garbage

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

a big part of it is that rich, doting parents will be able to enroll their kids in SAT prep to help get them into the rights schools and compete in the global economy repeat

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
https://twitter.com/Trillburne/status/980180712635752450

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
SAT prep doesn’t even matter that much just pay attention in school and if you have a decent IQ you will be fine. Like they mentioned in a recent podcast the true problem is the fact that you have to get into a couple specific colleges to get a good job.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

SAT prep doesn’t even matter that much just pay attention in school and if you have a decent IQ you will be fine. Like they mentioned in a recent podcast the true problem is the fact that you have to get into a couple specific colleges to get a good job.

tell us more about IQ dude

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The SAT prep course I took definitely gave me a leg up in several ways, not least of which was that it was the embodiment of the access to knowledge and tutoring I had through my entire schooling career.

The education system is shaped entirely by capitalist principles and must be reformed.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

just pay attention in school and if you have a decent IQ
two small points doing hella heavy lifting right here

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

just be white and be white

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The SAT prep course I took definitely gave me a leg up in several ways, not least of which was that it was the embodiment of the access to knowledge and tutoring I had through my entire schooling career.

The education system is shaped entirely by capitalist principles and must be reformed.

yea PSAT stuff isn't magic but they're glorified extra tutoring sessions and those do help and represent a privilege not available to all.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I never took the SAT; in my area the ACT was the test everyone took for college.

I took it hungover and got a 32/36 first try then went to a glorified community college and dropped out so lol at standardized tests being a worthwhile measure of anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Source your quotes.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004
The article isn't really a strong defense of the SAT or standardized testing, but just proposing it's at least a better alternative to "holistic" admissions approaches. It's a lot easier for a smart kid with lower income to do better based on AP tests / SATs than it is to have access to interesting/unique (based on judgement of admissions folks at elite schools) extracurriculars or smart parents that can proof read their application essays. There's unquestionably a correlation between income and performance on the SAT, but it's a lot more feasible for a lower class family to spend $200 on test prep books than take up sailing, start a "business," or land an interesting high school job beyond the service industry. Especially with the internet I'm sure you can type in the text of just about any test prep book question and find an explanation how to solve it. The expensive test prep courses/tutors offer an advantage, but it's largely due to forced repetition and personalized help -- they aren't providing cheat codes. No admissions approach will be perfect.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 1, 2018

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
hell yeah bulkiest toaster is back :coolfish:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you want progressive admissions, the SAT is a small factor. What you really need to do is fund the public universities because aside from a very, very small group of elite private schools with endowments in the tens of billions range, the biggest factor in college admissions is which students the college can afford to accept.

Serf
May 5, 2011

imagine believing in IQ

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Serf posted:

imagine believing in IQ

IQ is real as far as it measures something that is real. The real question is what exactly does it matter.

It’s not like 70 IQ people have any less valid lives.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

i would love to see an alt right guest go on the chapo trap house. Mike Enoch or bulbusaur from the daily Shoah would be really great. They are both smart and funny so I think they might have a really good conversation on where we need to be headed. Kind of a dialectic between left and right

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

IQ is real as far as it measures something that is real. The real question is what exactly does it matter.

It’s not like 70 IQ people have any less valid lives.

I mean, in the same way skull measuring actually does measure how your skull looks, but that 'something that's real' is meaningless and arbitrary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

quote:

I think some of you are missing some of the more symbolic themes of the film that show the black man's subconscious struggles I think it is interesting that the villain of the film is essentially an American black who talks in an American style, lived in Oakland, has a hip hop aesthetic, was a CIA creation, and has an absentee father and was abandoned by his only other father figure (the king). How many black people in America does this represent in some fashion? Last time I checked the black community had like a 70% out of wedlock birth rate. Contrast this with T'challa who has a present father figure and lives in a well rounded culture without BET or the CIA selling crack. He embraces science and technology and is much more well rounded individual. Wakanda itself basically represents the heart and soul of the black man and the events of the film are a power struggle over who will control the black man. Either an authentic embrace of civilization and science represented by the T'challa and his family, or an anti-science imperialism based on hip hop ghetto black values and the knockout game. Which in turn are pretty much constructs of slavery imperialism and the CIA.

high iq posting