Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a reason Google photos doesn't work for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yes. I only want it to view images because even with screen pinning things can be deleted, share screen can be opened, the edit menu can come up. I want to be able to hand my screen pinned phone over without having to worry about the other functions.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

G-Spot Run posted:

Yes. I only want it to view images because even with screen pinning things can be deleted, share screen can be opened, the edit menu can come up. I want to be able to hand my screen pinned phone over without having to worry about the other functions.

Why are you handing your phone over to someone you don't trust to not gently caress with your pictures?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Pick any answer that you feel is appropriate to that question and then ask yourself: do I know an app that does what is being asked? If the answer is "No" you don't need to post your commentary on my phone usage. If the answer is yes feel free to chime in with a suggestion. Cheers.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

My concern was mostly privacy; my battery is fine. In particular I was thinking about Facebook and Yelp, because it's useful to have them be able to use your location when you check in somewhere (or in Yelp's case when you are searching), but there's not really a strong reason to have them be able to track your every move. I didn't necessarily want to limit the discussion to those two apps, though.

Is there a reason to check in places other than to provide them with your location information/limited history and provide better targetted advertising cause I'm not sure I see it

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

G-Spot Run posted:

Pick any answer that you feel is appropriate to that question and then ask yourself: do I know an app that does what is being asked? If the answer is "No" you don't need to post your commentary on my phone usage. If the answer is yes feel free to chime in with a suggestion. Cheers.

This is a good post!

I wish I could answer your actual question :(.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

G-Spot Run posted:

Can anyone tell me a gallery app that does nothing but browse photos. No feature creep, no delete/rename/edit/share, just scroll left and right through the images on the camera folder or pulled from Google Photos account. I've tried searching and every possible combination of "just browse images" and "gallery only" terms has come up with feature creeped apps because, I guess, every rear end in a top hat and their dog wants to make a buck on the play store.

Alternatively, how hard would it be to create such an app in ADK with my late 90s scripting experience if I finally got around to bothering?

Pay for the pro version of showstopper photos I guess and make an album with whatever photos you want. P much every gallery app is going to at least allow sharing and especially isn't going to allow pulling from google photos but with no other features

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.subwayinnapps.showstopper

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Blue Train posted:

Is there a reason to check in places other than to provide them with your location information/limited history and provide better targetted advertising cause I'm not sure I see it

Well there's the whole the social aspect, and I personally like it for remembering years later "where was that amazing burrito place that we went to last time we were here", etc. I don't mind giving Facebook / Yelp some limited location history and better advertising in exchange for that, but I also don't want them to know literally everywhere that I go if I can help it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

G-Spot Run posted:

Alternatively, how hard would it be to create such an app in ADK with my late 90s scripting experience if I finally got around to bothering?

Very hard. App development is very difficult, which is why good apps are so few and far between.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I feel like the most recent location'n'places api (well since it was changed from just the maps api) banks a snapshot of your location at the end of location services and supplies that to apps that ask for low-accuracy location info when off. It's usually like zipcode-ish from your last wifi or tower connection.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Thanks Blue Train, I'll give that app a shot. Taffer thanks for the advice also.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Taffer posted:

Very hard. App development is very difficult, which is why good apps are so few and far between.
This is not why good apps are rare (which is only really true relative to the number of apps out there, there are actually plenty of good apps to be found, they're just hard to find amongst the deadwood).

Good apps are rare because it's hard to make money out of apps, most developers make way more from iOS so focus their efforts there primarily, and a lot of apps are made by third party agencies that don't care about quality.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is there an app for tracking upcoming movies you'd like to watch and maybe gives you notifications when they're out or something like that?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use an app called SeriesGuide to keep track of TV shows. It has a movies section. There's an option for notifications, but I don't know if it's just TV or movies too.

It has some integration with Trakt, but it seems flaky. Honestly, I would go to Trakt and look at their list of apps that integrate with it (I believe there's a page on their site dedicated to apps).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

I use an app called SeriesGuide to keep track of TV shows. It has a movies section. There's an option for notifications, but I don't know if it's just TV or movies too.

It has some integration with Trakt, but it seems flaky. Honestly, I would go to Trakt and look at their list of apps that integrate with it (I believe there's a page on their site dedicated to apps).

SeriesGuide is great but I've never used the movie tab. IMDB has an app and there's also something called CineTrak. 4.2 * each :shrug:

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I want to buy my dad a subscription to a streaming music service for his birthday. He's 74 and likes to keep things simple. What I'd really like is for him to be able to use it hands-free in the car, like I use "Hey, Siri" with Apple Music. (Sorry.) He's got a Samsung Galaxy S7.

Would you recommend Spotify Premium or Google Play Music? (He doesn't have a Gmail account, so I don't know if that would make a difference.) Or is there a better alternative? Again, simple is best, but I really want him to have access to a huge library. He loves music and I think it'll blow his mind to have access to pretty much anything he wants without having to use a CD or mp3s.

Thanks!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I find that Google play music works really well with Google Assistant and voice commands

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blue Scream posted:

I want to buy my dad a subscription to a streaming music service for his birthday. He's 74 and likes to keep things simple. What I'd really like is for him to be able to use it hands-free in the car, like I use "Hey, Siri" with Apple Music. (Sorry.) He's got a Samsung Galaxy S7.

Would you recommend Spotify Premium or Google Play Music? (He doesn't have a Gmail account, so I don't know if that would make a difference.) Or is there a better alternative? Again, simple is best, but I really want him to have access to a huge library. He loves music and I think it'll blow his mind to have access to pretty much anything he wants without having to use a CD or mp3s.

Thanks!

I switched from Google Play Music to Spotify Premium because the Spotify app is much better as well as the sharing options. I also have had a much better time with the Spotify new music discovery features.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Spotify is extremely good. To use voice control you will need to link the Google account to Spotify and select Spotify as the default music provider, so there is some initial setup required

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

Blue Train posted:

Spotify is extremely good. To use voice control you will need to link the Google account to Spotify and select Spotify as the default music provider, so there is some initial setup required

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about with either service, since he doesn't have a Google account and is resistant to making one because...well, because we keep suggesting he make one :rolleyes:

I used to subscribe to Spotify Premium and I loved it, I just couldn't justify having two paid music services when they gave me pretty much the same content.

e: Nevermind! A miracle has taken place and he got a Gmail account, like, a month ago and I didn't know about it.

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 1, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Another thing to keep in mind is it seems that ok google won't work with the screen off, you need to press the home button and then say it. If there is a charger in the car there should be a setting in developer settings I think to keep the screen on while charging that could act as a work around. S voice may be able to do it but I don't have a Samsung phone so can't confirm

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7/845149-assistant-samsung-galaxy-s7.html

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good proximity-based alarm app (i.e. one that sets off an alarm when you get close to a specific location)?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

docbeard posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good proximity-based alarm app (i.e. one that sets off an alarm when you get close to a specific location)?

llama was good for this and still should be but hasn't been updated for a while, trigger or tasker can do it as well but are not free. Could also try automate:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.llamalab.automate

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 1, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Blue Scream posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about with either service, since he doesn't have a Google account and is resistant to making one because...well, because we keep suggesting he make one :rolleyes:

I used to subscribe to Spotify Premium and I loved it, I just couldn't justify having two paid music services when they gave me pretty much the same content.

e: Nevermind! A miracle has taken place and he got a Gmail account, like, a month ago and I didn't know about it.

My dad was like this. Eventually I just created an account with a username that matched his main email address and then have him a sticky note with the password.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

That's bad advice as apps which want location and can't get it will keep requesting it over and over, never sleeping.

Do you have examples of apps that do this? I've never had location on for any of my phones and I've never seen what you're describing. It's never been a problem.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Scudworth posted:

Do you have examples of apps that do this? I've never had location on for any of my phones and I've never seen what you're describing. It's never been a problem.

Back in the day the go-to example of it happening was Facebook, though never having used Facebook in any form I can't vouch for it. It's not something that could easily be diagnosed or even shown without root and examination with wakelock diagnostics tools because that kind of abuse doesn't show up in battery stats because it would always be "Android OS" that was causing the drain. That kind of log access hasn't been easy to get for years now and it's not like it was easy to track down when it was easy.

I do think that's mostly been taken care of now. I'm pretty sure there's no way around the location provider in a modern phone given that it's what, four years old now? I thought at some point Google forced everyone over to the new provider by feeding garbage data to the old methods (or was that Cyanogenmod that did that?).

Either way I'm guessing most of the problems of that sort probably dried up when revokable permissions became the norm. There was that transition period before they went to them but after people found the code buried in Android and someone wrote that UI for it that caused apps to go apeshit when you could selectively deny them information. That was most definitely a thing for a while there.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cyanogenmod would feed garbage data to apps through privacy guard if desired before android introduced granular permissions

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Back in the day the go-to example of it happening was Facebook, though never having used Facebook in any form I can't vouch for it. It's not something that could easily be diagnosed or even shown without root and examination with wakelock diagnostics tools because that kind of abuse doesn't show up in battery stats because it would always be "Android OS" that was causing the drain. That kind of log access hasn't been easy to get for years now and it's not like it was easy to track down when it was easy.

I do think that's mostly been taken care of now. I'm pretty sure there's no way around the location provider in a modern phone given that it's what, four years old now? I thought at some point Google forced everyone over to the new provider by feeding garbage data to the old methods (or was that Cyanogenmod that did that?).

Either way I'm guessing most of the problems of that sort probably dried up when revokable permissions became the norm. There was that transition period before they went to them but after people found the code buried in Android and someone wrote that UI for it that caused apps to go apeshit when you could selectively deny them information. That was most definitely a thing for a while there.

Most large data-mining apps (facebook) got around granular permissions by making the target SDK less than 23. This allows them to skip granular permissions and just get Literally All Permissions on install even on devices on 23 or higher. Thankfully, Google is enacting a new policy this year that will ban all apps from the play store that use a target that's more than 2 years old. About loving time.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I think you will find that was ensuring users of old devices could still run the latest version of the app rather than a way to get around the new permissions model. Ugh gently caress facebook

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

Most large data-mining apps (facebook) got around granular permissions by making the target SDK less than 23. This allows them to skip granular permissions and just get Literally All Permissions on install even on devices on 23 or higher. Thankfully, Google is enacting a new policy this year that will ban all apps from the play store that use a target that's more than 2 years old. About loving time.

Yeah and that's exactly what I said that kicked off this discussion. The ban though is an unmitigated good thing.

Speaking of, how many apps has anyone come across recently that don't have granular permissions? I haven't seen one in an awfully long time.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 2, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blue Train posted:

I think you will find that was ensuring users of old devices could still run the latest version of the app rather than a way to get around the new permissions model. Ugh gently caress facebook

I don't think this is a serious post, but for anyone else reading, that's not the case! Old devices can still run the latest versions of apps, the apps just have to specifically handle cases where OS versions differ, e.g. permissions.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Obsurveyor posted:

Sounds more like poorly written apps to me. Never seen this on any of the apps I use that are based around location use like Google Maps or Strava, despite being open and wanting location.

fake edit: In fact, according to the SDK, location is provided via a callback, which means that the app will periodically be told what the location is, not query it over and over so the situation you've described is literally impossible.

this is incorrect. if an app requests a permission and the user says no in the little system popup, the app is free to request the permission again, which will result in the user seeing another popup request for it. if the user ticks the "don't ask again" box when saying no then the requests will be hidden. either way you are incorrect that an app cannot request a permission more than once. the behavior you are describing is what happens with certain location APIs after the user already agrees to give the app access to that permission

i'm also completely baffled at someone who knows to read android SDK docs has never encountered an app making more than one popup for a permission :wtf:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

MuPDF is a lightweight interface for a snappy PDF rendering engine. Does just enough to let you open a PDF on your phone without wanting to kill yourself.

Is this still the go to PDF reader, or is there a better option?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I just use the one that comes with google drive

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I've been using xodo lately for my pdf reading, after somebody recommended it to me. Seems to do the job!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Turns out my phone came with a nice little PDF reader. I had no idea. But thanks!

Also, Flamingo is Twitter's latest victim.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Turns out my phone came with a nice little PDF reader. I had no idea. But thanks!

What a loving letdown :(

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Kheldarn posted:

It already happened a few months ago. It'll probably be back up soon.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I don't know what the overall opinion of it is, but I've been using Talon for Twitter over the past year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ghostpilot posted:

I don't know what the overall opinion of it is, but I've been using Talon for Twitter over the past year or so.

I've used it, it's good. Still prefer Flamingo and hope it keeps getting updates but it sounds like not.