Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That was really nice!

Reinhard and Kircheis are anime pretty boys surrounded by gruff old men... as they always have been. It's just crisper and more colorful now. Which is fine. New aesthetic. I can get used to it.

Important bits: Fleet battles looked great! CG ships are a huge improvement over the old anime. Music is acceptable! You'll never get better than the classical score of the old anime, but this stuff has a good classical style that definitely supports the action the same grand way the old stuff did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The character designs work better in motion than I expected, and the CGI looks fine on its own, but any time they put high-framerate CGI and low-framerate animation in the frame at the same time it's pretty jarring. That seems like something animators would've figured out how to avoid by now.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I look forward to it, I’ll check it out tomorrow

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Eiba posted:

That was really nice!

Reinhard and Kircheis are anime pretty boys surrounded by gruff old men... as they always have been. It's just crisper and more colorful now. Which is fine. New aesthetic. I can get used to it.

Important bits: Fleet battles looked great! CG ships are a huge improvement over the old anime. Music is acceptable! You'll never get better than the classical score of the old anime, but this stuff has a good classical style that definitely supports the action the same grand way the old stuff did.

I strongly disagree. Fleet battles were an overly shiny mess, the Valkyries just look like any other space fighter now, the music is terrible and the Empire looks gaudy as poo poo. I do like the new FPA uniforms though, they fit nicely with the green of the ships. Lapp's new look is good, but it doesn't fit with Yang's younger appearance. I also really dislike how when Yang took over command... the camera just kinda stuck on Reinhard's face? Let's not even talk about the crime of what happened to Cazellnu.

Considering the only thing this guy's directed has been Kuroko's Basketball, that can't have been accidental.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wait, that's not a loving photoshop?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

It is one.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

It is but when people are already taking the piss out of the choice of director, what with their very limited experience, for such a highly regarded classic of a series you can almost smell the Berserk from here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, I misinterpreted your post, I thought you were saying "it can't have been accidental he designed the 3D projection like a basketball because of his prior directorial work".

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
schennkopp is going to look like a bishy gently caress

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bongo Bill posted:

It is one.

Sad, was looking forward to the literal space jam

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Shake it, quake it, space KABOOM

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
The OP/ED of this new LOGH

http://moetron.news/post/172461231830/the-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-the-new-thesis

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Bongo Bill posted:

The character designs work better in motion than I expected, and the CGI looks fine on its own, but any time they put high-framerate CGI and low-framerate animation in the frame at the same time it's pretty jarring. That seems like something animators would've figured out how to avoid by now.

I feel one of the problems with 3D backgrounds behind 2D characters is that the backgrounds get perspective while the characters don't. It jars the mind that the background changes slightly with camera moves while the characters are generally unaffected. It'd probably help if the backgrounds were rendered as 2D images prior to putting in more mundane camera moves (still allowing for animated backgrounds when moving through a space is important). This might avoid the squiggly juxtaposition.

Overall I thought it looked fine. A few odd lingering shots on faces not doing anything and plastic CG but nothing too dramatic. The most minor nitpick I have, and this is so minor it's stupid, but the animators can't keep the FPA logo consistent at times. Instead of being a regular pentagon the corners slightly stick out, like a ninja star, except for when they don't. I only noticed this because one FPA officer turns his head and the FPA logo on his hat goes from ninja star to normal pentagon. 0/10 points, trash tier anime.

Character designs seem fine. Reinhard and K-dawg might be a bit on the bland side but they're prodigies, meant to be some of the youngest officers in the military so that's cool. I don't mind the more dorky redesigns of Cezallnu or Oberstien but I hope Jullian looks better in Uniform. Someone complained about the over the top style of the Imperial Ships bridge design but I think it suits their style. Commanders of ships are high ranking members of society and it makes sense they'd have a lot of pomp around a point of martial pride like their command seat. Reminds me of needlessly ostentatious ceremonial armour you'd see of old knights.

I'm excited to spend time with the FPA next week and I think that'll be a big decider for me.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

These are pretty good

Too bishy for my taste but pretty good anyways

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I watched the first episode and my thoughts were that it was watchable, but has issues. I really miss the classical music soundtrack, I thought it did wonders for setting a tone as well as helping things feel lively. There are a lot of sequences in the first episode where its just dead quiet apart from Rein and Red chatting, and they felt a little dry to me as a result.

I actually like the CG used for the battle sequences. They do a good job of displaying the density and chaos that was lacking from the original anime. You can really believe that millions of soldiers could die when you see the number of ships on display in the remake.

The character designs are a mixed bag. I don't think the faces and body types look distinct enough, but I like the added level of detail in the uniforms a lot.

All in all I'd say it was not offensively bad, but not really good enough to be called good, either.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/infinite_bagel/status/980604187833585664

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
you guys watching the raws or something? I cant find ep1 of the new series.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
There was a raw on youtube but it's been taken down now. It'll probably pop up again, if not already, but I'd just wait for subs unless you're really itching to see Reinhard look pretty.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Captain_duck posted:

you guys watching the raws or something? I cant find ep1 of the new series.

Technically doesn’t air until tomorrow IIRC, but there was a ts of it floating around. Not subbed though

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's not great but not horrible to me, either. I guess keeping my expectations low helped.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I’ve actually never seen the first two episodes of the original anime, since they got replaced by the movie.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It's not great but not horrible to me, either. I guess keeping my expectations low helped.
Yeah. Nostalgia is gonna hold me back for sure but by itself it seems like it'll be serviceable enough. There's quite a few structural changes already I'm not thrilled with but I guess I can see why they did them for the sake of fitting a more modern formula.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Well it was certainly better than most of the stuff from the last many many years and sticking to what made LOGH LOGH this far so they can go right ahead. At least the guys aren't suffering from growth hormone issues in the neck muscles.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Back when that Trump staffer got drunk and went on like all the afternoon political talk shows in one afternoon, someone in the CSPAM thread posted this:

Gives me warm fuzzies to know LoGH is still somewhat in the zeitgeist :)

Billzasilver posted:

I've actually never seen the first two episodes of the original anime, since they got replaced by the movie.

The movie really does a better job setting the stage than those 2 episodes. Even compared to other parts of season 1 the animation and pacing of those 2 in particular is a bit poo poo.

They're both a little awkward if you watch My Conquest first, as pretty much the same things happen in both. I guess at the time they thought people would only have seen one or the other.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The character designs are less than expressive and the music is awful, but other than that, that sure felt like Galactic Heroes alright. I appreciate how the cg spices up the space combat at least a tad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
LOGH had a very successful run in tviv and got spread around rhe forums pretty far from that iirc. Plus people posting memorable scenes like the alcohol friend speech

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I was fearing for a trainwreck and very thankfully this looks like it will not be one. Hopefully it manages to hold up long-term too.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like the new opening. Especially the bit at the end where the title shows up. The music in that bit makes the series feel 'important'.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

So here's my thoughts on the first ep: It was fine. There was plenty of little details that boiled down to "but that's not how the OVA did it" that irritated me, but anyone fresh would be about as psyched as someone watching the janky rear end first ep of the OVA. I have the sensation this wont be a full adaptation so it feels sorta pointless, and they have tuned the inherent homoerotic feel of the first show to almost suggestive, but I feel like that was intentional.

I hate that the guns act like star wars blasters rather than lasers/beams. It feels much less impactful. It turns the valkyrie capital ship sinkings from "holy poo poo" moments to "ok." moments.

Seeing fighters again brought up a funny thought tho: It's kinda weird that out of allll the cast in LoGH, we don't have a fighter pilot or squadron on the Empire side that gets any attention, or even a name. Maybe it's there's one in the gaiden eps, but considering we have the Feddy squad with pippen et al, that there's not even a glimpse of the other side's is strange.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DamnGlitch posted:

I hate that the guns act like star wars blasters rather than lasers/beams. It feels much less impactful. It turns the valkyrie capital ship sinkings from "holy poo poo" moments to "ok." moments.

Beams are always superior. Like the Death Star tearing through Rebel ships at Endor, and cities in Rogue One. Or even more so, the scene in Babylon 5 where the Shadows first reveal themselves and slice open the Narn ships like a knife through cake. I suppose you could do it with blaster style weapons but I can't see how you'd create such iconic shots.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I just hope I can still have my LOGH drinking game of “drink every time the empire is toasting a glass of wine, and every time the alliance pounds down straight whiskey or spiked tea/coffee”

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

FAT BATMAN posted:

I just hope I can still have my LOGH drinking game of “drink every time the empire is toasting a glass of wine, and every time the alliance pounds down straight whiskey or spiked tea/coffee”

You clearly never played that game with the original series. Proof: you're still alive :beerpal: Serioustalk, I did always like how the Empire breaking a wine glass meant poo poo was about to get REAL.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
this was not a terrible trainwreck but i still did not think it was actually good

old version looks better, the new ost is terrible (not like i expected it to match what is literally a collection of the best classical music ever), and rein and kircheis' relationship is not nearly homoerotic enough for me

also yang in that end of episode speech was just way too confident, so i hope they haven't taken too many character liberties to make him more a marketable protagonist by not making him into a lazy, depressed drinker

im gonna continue to give it a chance, because this property will never get another chance, but maaaaaaan.

e; also the CG, like I originally thought, already looks dated to me. this won't have a timeless feel like the original because of that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

There is one thing that bugged me and that was the placement of the Alliance fleets; supposedly they're about to encircle Reinhard's fleet but they're all coming from roughly the same direction. I'll need someone to confirm this, but I recall them in the OVAs being shown as having already surrounded Reinhard, and that made it make more sense that a bold and sudden movement from his fleet would succeed in surprising them and killing the first fleet before the others could react. In this it felt like the FPA fleets should've been close enough to each other to join in battle pretty much instantly. I know the episode makes a point on the Alliance admirals being idiots who don't give a poo poo but even so.

DamnGlitch posted:

Seeing fighters again brought up a funny thought tho: It's kinda weird that out of allll the cast in LoGH, we don't have a fighter pilot or squadron on the Empire side that gets any attention, or even a name. Maybe it's there's one in the gaiden eps, but considering we have the Feddy squad with pippen et al, that there's not even a glimpse of the other side's is strange.

Tbh I didn't mind the guns being blasters too much because seeing the barrage coming at the Alliance ships was a really good shot.

For fighter pilots; I don't really think we ever focus on anyone fighting on the Empire side that isn't a high-ranking officer? Closest we get is Emil and he's not exactly a soldier.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
new kircheis looks like he needs to sneeze

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

YF-23 posted:

I'll need someone to confirm this, but I recall them in the OVAs being shown as having already surrounded Reinhard,

They had. They were positioned in a sort of 10-12-2-o'clock spread relative to the Imperial fleet.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
i always pronounce kircheis as kir-hi-eis in my head even though i know that's not how you say it at all

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Tbh I didn't mind the guns being blasters too much because seeing the barrage coming at the Alliance ships was a really good shot.

For fighter pilots; I don't really think we ever focus on anyone fighting on the Empire side that isn't a high-ranking officer? Closest we get is Emil and he's not exactly a soldier.

We had those gunner guys until they died horribly.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It makes thematic sense for us not to spend much time with commoner imperials, since it reinforces that it's a political system where they don't have a voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

YF-23 posted:

There is one thing that bugged me and that was the placement of the Alliance fleets; supposedly they're about to encircle Reinhard's fleet but they're all coming from roughly the same direction. I'll need someone to confirm this, but I recall them in the OVAs being shown as having already surrounded Reinhard, and that made it make more sense that a bold and sudden movement from his fleet would succeed in surprising them and killing the first fleet before the others could react. In this it felt like the FPA fleets should've been close enough to each other to join in battle pretty much instantly. I know the episode makes a point on the Alliance admirals being idiots who don't give a poo poo but even so.

I haven't seen this yet, but in the original the Alliance forces were still far from surrounding Reinhardt's force to the point where they were several hours away from each other and Reinhardt was able to give his men some downtime in between engagements.

The Alliance had their heads up their rear end about how superior they were and had a grand plan that required perfect timing and hinged on the enemy not actually doing anything except dying. When Reinhardt decided to take the first move and proactively attack, the Alliance force was mostly helpless because things hadn't come together and the fleets were way out of position and unable to support each other.

It's not really that far-fetched because that's essentially what happened to the IJN at Midway.