Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/980232511170072576?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do think this is kind of a big enough rolling snowball now that Ingraham might be in trouble. But the real question is what the state of things are a week from now. What I think is working in the favor of the boycott is that Conservatives really seem dead set on attacking Hogg and the kids and aren't hitting the brakes at Ingraham's behavior the way they might normally do.

As Chris Hayes said on his show the other night, something about these kids has made the right lose their minds. (And as his guest said, that "something" is that they've been effective and managed to see laws passed in a month that wouldn't have been possible for a long time.)

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I still think about fake butter, actually

I generally think of the MST3K "Fabio fever" invention exchange.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

With every one of these ad drop announcements have been waves of people (mostly trolls) coming out and proudly proclaiming they will never use that product or service again. I'm kinda hoping there are people out there who see this one and swear off ever using an aspirin again purely to own the libs.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

STAC Goat posted:

I do think this is kind of a big enough rolling snowball now that Ingraham might be in trouble. But the real question is what the state of things are a week from now. What I think is working in the favor of the boycott is that Conservatives really seem dead set on attacking Hogg and the kids and aren't hitting the brakes at Ingraham's behavior the way they might normally do.

As Chris Hayes said on his show the other night, something about these kids has made the right lose their minds. (And as his guest said, that "something" is that they've been effective and managed to see laws passed in a month that wouldn't have been possible for a long time.)

It shows how morally bankrupt their party is. I think the mask is off for a lot of people.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 1, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

STAC Goat posted:

I think that's the key. The kids would likely be willing ot let it drop, or understand they couldn't keep the rage going on by itself. But then you have constant attacks from Ted "poo poo Himself On Purpose To Avoid Vietnam" Nugent yelling at these kids for being upset for being put in a situation where they watched their friends be shot and killed. It just keeps the outrage front and center and they're literally doing it to themselves.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

It shows how morally bankrupt their party is. I think the mask is off for a lot of people.

And that's played out in real time with a lot of the kids themselves. Like Sam Zeif went to the White House and was a part of Trump's bullshit listening session and said he was actually cool with a lot of the ideas Trump regurgitated, but then he spotted the I HEAR YOU card in his lap and realized then and there "oh drat, this guy is full of poo poo," and has been showing up on TV wherever he can going at Republicans with a hammer for how callous they all are. Probably harder than David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez do, but he doesn't seem to garner the same level of attention that they do.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

in a dream world this snowball rolling down the hill will continue to gain steam and eventually someone will say "you know who is even worse than Laura Ingraham? Tucker "white people are scared of change" "you know who has it really hard? men" Carlson.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If a snowball gains steam it will melt.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

in a dream world this snowball rolling down the hill will continue to gain steam and eventually someone will say "you know who is even worse than Laura Ingraham? Tucker "white people are scared of change" "you know who has it really hard? men" Carlson.

It's been tried already. When O'Reilly fell last year, people immediately turned their attention to trying to oust Sean Hannity and Jesse Watters right behind him, because they are also alleged serial sexual harassers and assaulters. But Fox threw a Spartan phalanx up around them and made it crystal clear that Hannity, at the very least, could literally throw acid in a child's face on live television and they would never fire him for it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Alkydere posted:

I think that's the key. The kids would likely be willing ot let it drop, or understand they couldn't keep the rage going on by itself. But then you have constant attacks from Ted "poo poo Himself On Purpose To Avoid Vietnam" Nugent yelling at these kids for being upset for being put in a situation where they watched their friends be shot and killed. It just keeps the outrage front and center and they're literally doing it to themselves.

Yeah, on its own I think this would go away but on its own I don't even think Ingraham's tweet would have sparked the controversy and boycott in the first place. Its a part of the bigger picture of attacks and how the Right just seems utterly incapable of engaging with these kids with any modicum of respect or self control. And to that end there doesn't seem to be any sign they're going to suddenly get it together and stop so Ingraham might just become a kind of scapegoat for the broader behavior.

Also, friendly reminder. Ted Nugent is a pedophile who not only wrote songs about how he liked to have sex with teen girls but adopted one so he could legally have sex with her. He's also the guy who swore he'd shoot Obama and Hillary and would gun down standins of them on his show stages. Also he posted this:

So while the part where he poo poo in his pants for days to dodge the draft is funny its also almost kind to refer to him with that story over any of those truly evil ones.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

It's been tried already. When O'Reilly fell last year, people immediately turned their attention to trying to oust Sean Hannity and Jesse Watters right behind him, because they are also alleged serial sexual harassers and assaulters. But Fox threw a Spartan phalanx up around them and made it crystal clear that Hannity, at the very least, could literally throw acid in a child's face on live television and they would never fire him for it.

What does Hannity have that O'Reilly didn't?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Tens of millions of dollars less in sexual harassment settlements that Fox New paid and couldn't give an answer for why they still gave him a massive new contract.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, on its own I think this would go away but on its own I don't even think Ingraham's tweet would have sparked the controversy and boycott in the first place. Its a part of the bigger picture of attacks and how the Right just seems utterly incapable of engaging with these kids with any modicum of respect or self control. And to that end there doesn't seem to be any sign they're going to suddenly get it together and stop so Ingraham might just become a kind of scapegoat for the broader behavior.

Also, friendly reminder. Ted Nugent is a pedophile who not only wrote songs about how he liked to have sex with teen girls but adopted one so he could legally have sex with her. He's also the guy who swore he'd shoot Obama and Hillary and would gun down standins of them on his show stages. Also he posted this:

So while the part where he poo poo in his pants for days to dodge the draft is funny its also almost kind to refer to him with that story over any of those truly evil ones.

I'm more bringing up the story because of how hypocritical it is in this context.

Ted Nugent: "I really don't want to be forced to go to a clusterfuck of a war where I, myself, will likely be shot so I'll poo poo my own pants to avoid the draft."
Also Ted Nugent: "These kids who don't their schools to be turned into a warzone are SOULLESS TRAITORS AND BULLIES! RAH! RAH! AMERICA! BOMB THE MIDDLE EAST!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

STAC Goat posted:

Tens of millions of dollars less in sexual harassment settlements that Fox New paid and couldn't give an answer for why they still gave him a massive new contract.

That, and after Beck, O'Reilly and Megyn Kelly all leaving in rapid success, Hannity is literally their last marketable prime time face before they have to turn the whole network over to Tucker Carlson, and Fox would rather implode than let that happen. They have no one lined up to replace Hannity if he goes, so they will let Fox burn to the ground around him if need be.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Alkydere posted:

I'm more bringing up the story because of how hypocritical it is in this context.

Ted Nugent: "I really don't want to be forced to go to a clusterfuck of a war where I, myself, will likely be shot so I'll poo poo my own pants to avoid the draft."
Also Ted Nugent: "These kids who don't their schools to be turned into a warzone are SOULLESS TRAITORS AND BULLIES! RAH! RAH! AMERICA! BOMB THE MIDDLE EAST!"

That's not why he dodged the draft.

He supported the war and said he would have been the most badass soldier of all time if he'd gone but that he was too important and wanted to stay at home and get laid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I genuinely think there's a chance that by the time 2020 rolls around the Fox News Primetime lineup will be something like "That black lady from Outnumbered", "Some Blonde Lady", and Juan Williams when they're the only ones left standing.

Either that or Hannity leaves after being named Trump's 10th NSA.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Didn't Hannity survive his wave of sponsors dropping by taking a week off?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Republicans posted:

Didn't Hannity survive his wave of sponsors dropping by taking a week off?

Bill-O did too a few times as well until it didn't work.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Hannity will stroke out and then Fox will panic.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Alkydere posted:

Bill-O did too a few times as well until it didn't work.

He probably could have weathered sponsor losses if he didn't cost them so much money in settlements.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

paternity suitor posted:

People use this kind of logic with athletes too, and it's not how humans work. This is what they do, it defines them in a lot of ways, and they take pride in that. Money isn't everything, even if you're a greedy conservative. People have egos and want to feel important and useful, and fame and power are more appealing than money to certain people. If you're a talking head and you have your show cancelled in disgrace, no amount of money in the world is going to make you feel better. You would live the rest of your days in leisure, feeling like a powerless failure, and wondering what-if.

a top tier athlete is competing at the highest levels of their sport. they spent their entire lives on it. these people are just spewing bad opinions they spent zero time thinking about.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Came here to post this. pro-click. Here's the AV Club write up on it

Behold this chorus of local news teams, reading in unison from an identical script of conservative talking points

https://news.avclub.com/behold-this-chorus-of-local-news-teams-reading-in-unis-1824232244

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Ok.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’m at my girlfriend’s lovely conservative family’s Easter party and they have Fox News on. I can’t hear it over the kids running around but just the visuals are enough to get the gist.

It really is impressive how simultaneously well-done propaganda and atrocious garbage Fox News is.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grand Prize Winner posted:

When a substance goes directly from solid to gas it's called sublimation, not melting. Idiot.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
http://www.businessinsider.com/russian-bots-support-fox-news-host-laura-ingraham-amid-advertiser-exodus-2018-3

Russian bots are trying to prop up Ingragam.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

STAC Goat posted:

I genuinely think there's a chance that by the time 2020 rolls around the Fox News Primetime lineup will be something like "That black lady from Outnumbered", "Some Blonde Lady", and Juan Williams when they're the only ones left standing.

Either that or Hannity leaves after being named Trump's 10th NSA.
And yet Shepard Smith will somehow still be around

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

When a substance goes directly from solid to gas it's called sublimation, not melting. Idiot.

What if this snow ball is ball of hot ice on one of those giant hot water planets?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Is it just me, or have there been far more people using the term "liberal" to mean "right-winger" recently?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mr Interweb posted:

Is it just me, or have there been far more people using the term "liberal" to mean "right-winger" recently?

In international terms, "liberal" generally means center-right. The American political spectrum is so close to fascism that our liberals are the left-wing, but that doesn't make them left-wing in absolute terms.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mr Interweb posted:

Much like South Park, some goons don't like conservatives, but hate liberals. :smuggo:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I am buoyed somewhat that actual news organizations are able to identify and call out blatant bot campaigns and what their objectives clearly are now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FlamingLiberal posted:

And yet Shepard Smith will somehow still be around

all according to keikaku

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Mr Interweb posted:

No, they are referring to liberals that didn't do a hard shift off the left side of the planet like CNN and the Democratic party did.

Aka, liberals who have the gall to think civil rights apply to everyone and stripping away civil rights is bad. Even if you don't agree with the people exercising those civil rights politically.

I'm not even joking on this. You are calling literal 90s democrat thinkers right wingers. That says a lot.

Haha, read the notes on how they determined what is a Russian linked account. The article was written based of two groups that followed a 1,500 and 600 Russian accounts that can overlap between the groups. So, yea, it is a propaganda article. So, realistically, less than 2000 accounts control twitter according to the AP. Yea, 100% propaganda.

At least the accounts being followed are said to be openly Russian companies, known bots, or people who openly support Russia. Better than the 'anyone who ever liked or followed a Russian account used russian characters, or ever has data flow through russia.'

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 2, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Two Feet From Bread posted:

No, they are referring to liberals that didn't do a hard shift off the left side of the planet like CNN and the Democratic party did.

Aka, liberals who have the gall to think civil rights apply to everyone and stripping away civil rights is bad. Even if you don't agree with the people exercising those civil rights politically.

I'm not even joking on this. You are calling literal 90s democrat thinkers right wingers. That says a lot.

lol excellent post/avatar combination, also you're a moron op.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

In international terms, "liberal" generally means center-right. The American political spectrum is so close to fascism that our liberals are the left-wing, but that doesn't make them left-wing in absolute terms.

No I understand that. But I'm hearing American people describe right-wingers as liberal.

Two Feet From Bread posted:

okay now this I don't understand at all

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mr Interweb posted:

No I understand that. But I'm hearing American people describe right-wingers as liberal.

Ah. Context?

Right-wingers self-describing as "classical liberal" is on the rise again, example: Jordan Peterson. So that might be why.

A lot of right-wing "intellectuals" have been trying to position themselves as the true protectors of liberal values against the "regressive left and SJWs."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

eNeMeE posted:

Think this is it - cons buy more of the offending products so they can destroy them

They came out with a new one lol

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/980551560836059142

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

Ah. Context?

Right-wingers self-describing as "classical liberal" is on the rise again, example: Jordan Peterson. So that might be why.

A lot of right-wing "intellectuals" have been trying to position themselves as the true protectors of liberal values against the "regressive left and SJWs."

I can already tell that everything about and in any way associated with this strategy is going to piss me off.