Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gadzuko posted:

there is definitely something in development.

new thread title tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Basic Chunnel posted:

They haven’t announced anything

Okay, they prominently displayed a date implying a reveal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
and also the game came out like a year ago so why else would anyone still be in the studio working on stuff for the game

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It is not a marketing push, it is just a morsel for fans / a bone thrown after so much gloomy talk of the game’s future. There’s no ARG, just the sort of winky breadcrumbs that Redditors obsessively dig into. Of course they’re going to formally announce it at E3.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Announcing Prey: Game of the Year Edition, that includes all pre-order content and DLC!

In other words, just the fancy shotgun

Dancer
May 23, 2011
And 3 upgrade points, and some mats :v: .

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So I've been fighting mind-controlled humans in the crew quarters, and I find that I keep killing them, even though I'm using the stun gun. Is there some trick to this? I'd prefer not to kill anyone if I can help it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If they get too close to you they'll blow their own heads off. They can also set off environmental conditions that kill them as they have no sense of self preservation, and if Typhon are around attacking they can run into the line of fire. You basically have to carefully lure/herd them into a situation where you can take them out from a distance and ensure their bodies aren't anywhere close to anything dangerous. Either than or take out the telepath controlling them before they can get anywhere near you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Heads blowing up when they were close and alert to you was something I had to look up. I don't remember if the game really tells you about that. I thought it was the stun gun doing it and maybe I had to take out the telepath without engaging the people at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kibayasu posted:

I don't remember if the game really tells you about that.

From memory, the first telepathically controlled humans you spot who can actually see you too are locked behind a door, and they warn you to keep your distance and not get too close. Maybe it's not an explicit warning about their heads blowing up, but the message to keep your distance is there.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

It's not unheard of to release DLC the same day it's announced at a major news conference that's watched live worldwide.

It would be a bigger attempt at marketing than what they tried for the base game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

https://twitter.com/OracularDream/status/977376492593262592?s=20

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Krazyface posted:

So I've been fighting mind-controlled humans in the crew quarters, and I find that I keep killing them, even though I'm using the stun gun. Is there some trick to this? I'd prefer not to kill anyone if I can help it.

Also, telepaths tend to kill humans if they die too close to them. Not sure if that's just because they do some small bit of damage as an explosion when they die or if it's an intended thing that they kill their puppets with them when they are able to. Lure people away from the telepath before dealing with it.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Krazyface posted:

If you don't mind getting Typhon powers, any level of Mindjack will safely KO them from distance, and you can stay concealed doing it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

Also, telepaths tend to kill humans if they die too close to them. Not sure if that's just because they do some small bit of damage as an explosion when they die or if it's an intended thing that they kill their puppets with them when they are able to. Lure people away from the telepath before dealing with it.

I think that if you stun a telepath and then kill it the surrounding people are only knocked unconscious.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
How am I supposed to deal with military operators? I put all my points toward being able to fight well with my shotgun and those guys are an enormous drain on my resources. Are you supposed to just run past them? I really hate this part of the game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stungun. Even partly upgraded stungun is great against them.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Gloo up the operator dispensers

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

MikeJF posted:

Stungun. Even partly upgraded stungun is great against them.

Also EMP grenades or machine mind. You should have a few more tricks up your sleeve than just "good with a shotgun" by the time you're running into military operators

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

fridge corn posted:

Gloo up the operator dispensers

This doesn't seem to work, they just break through the glue.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I finished the game earlier today. Kinda odd that releasing a mimic on that one prisoner doesn't count as murder, nor does unwittingly setting off the fake cook's recycler grenade, but hey! Pacifist run!

I really enjoyed how your relation to the different spaces in the station change as things go on. The lobby is this rich, dangerous, exciting place at first, and then it's kind of safe and mundane, and then later you start getting technopaths and the nightmare in there. Or how after I cleared Hardware it felt like a place I owned, and it had an airlock and a recycler/fabricator, and lots of room to sneak around, but the recurring power failures and passage between the two levels makes it kind of crap to return to in the long run. The only place that didn't really change was Crew Quarters, that was just generally a nice place to be, even when I first got there.

Also, it was great that I didn't have to shoot a giant Phantom with a million bullets or whatever at the end.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Incessant Excess posted:

This doesn't seem to work, they just break through the glue.

Yeah, I could never figure out what I was doing wrong when trying to gloo-up operator dispensers, the things always just broke through.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hacking can be a bit tedious but is also quite effective for dealing with military operators- I believe that once you have hacked all the operators in the area the dispensers don't churn out more, and now you have a q-beam equipped air force to murder all the Typhon.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that's a lot of effort though. IMO maxing out the stun gun or electric magic attack (or machine mind magic) combined with just running past everything is the best way to deal with it. You're in the end-game, time to rush through this stuff and go home!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, I just went for mind-electricity all the way; my roommate didn't take typhon powers and did not upgrade his stun gun against my advice, so he wound up doing hacking instead. On the plus side, he had maxed out leverage, which meant blocking the dispensers was easy.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Entropic posted:

Yeah, I could never figure out what I was doing wrong when trying to gloo-up operator dispensers, the things always just broke through.

If you put something bulky in front of the dispensers it will also stop them being made. It's a bit touchy though as to how you place them so once you hear the machine saying to unblock the aperture it's best to not touch it at all.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

aniviron posted:

Hacking can be a bit tedious but is also quite effective for dealing with military operators- I believe that once you have hacked all the operators in the area the dispensers don't churn out more, and now you have a q-beam equipped air force to murder all the Typhon.

Honestly I think most games are improved by just removing minigames (maybe not DX:HR). I modded the hacking minigames out of ME2 and everything was better, i'm pretty sure Prey would be the same. Even if you want to add in time pressure you can just make it take 6 seconds or whatever where you're unable to take actions.

todd_777
Dec 31, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

How am I supposed to deal with military operators? I put all my points toward being able to fight well with my shotgun and those guys are an enormous drain on my resources. Are you supposed to just run past them? I really hate this part of the game.

Use the stun gun to disable them. It's a state that occurs a few HP before dead. A disabled operator is as good as a dead operator, and won't trigger the respawn.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anyone have any experience running any of these mods?

https://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/22
https://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/7
https://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/23

The first is a graphics overhaul that seems neat but I don't know if it does enough to be noticeable, the latter two are gameplay tweaks targetting what made me stop playing (running out of ammo constantly and feeling super weak in combat to the point where I was getting too frustrated to be having fun)

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

hampig posted:

Honestly I think most games are improved by just removing minigames (maybe not DX:HR). I modded the hacking minigames out of ME2 and everything was better, i'm pretty sure Prey would be the same. Even if you want to add in time pressure you can just make it take 6 seconds or whatever where you're unable to take actions.

Hacking/lockpicking minigames are always garbage. Thief with its differently shaped lockpicks was the only one that got it right because lockpicking happens in real time so you've got a risk of being caught (although I'd kinda hesitate to call Thief's lockpicking a minigame).

flatluigi posted:

The first is a graphics overhaul that seems neat but I don't know if it does enough to be noticeable, the latter two are gameplay tweaks targetting what made me stop playing (running out of ammo constantly and feeling super weak in combat to the point where I was getting too frustrated to be having fun)

If you feel weak in combat then that just means you gotta inject more alien drugs into your eyeball.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory had a good lockpicking minigame

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

flatluigi posted:

Anyone have any experience running any of these mods?

The first one is pretty neat, but

Gobblecoque posted:

If you feel weak in combat then that just means you gotta inject more alien drugs into your eyeball.

this.

Get necropsy to make more neuromods. Get materials expert to get better recycling yields. Get leverage and hacking to get access to more caches of rare materials. Get firearms to make your guns more shootier. Upgrade the damage of said guns to make them more ammo efficient. Pile up reployers and typhon corpses and throw recycling charges at them.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I finished the game this weekend, what worked for me against the military operators was stun gun + running past the majority of them.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

flatluigi posted:

You're really only weak for the very beginning of the game up to the point where you become Telekinesis Shotgun Demigod

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

flatluigi posted:

The first is a graphics overhaul that seems neat but I don't know if it does enough to be noticeable,

For the most part what it does is make every light on the station a dynamic shadow caster. I guess this one comes down to preference; the shadows can look really nice, but in some places the softer mood created by the non-dynamic lights looks better imo. It certainly doesn't make the game look worse, so do it if you want.

As far as difficulty goes: If you're early on in the game, it gets much easier, as the others have said, eventually you get past an early-game hump and become quite strong. If you're more than 10 hours in and struggling though, maybe just turn down the difficulty.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And the supply issues are a deliberate gameplay control factor too, although I'm not sure how well done it is.

If you give yourself more ammo, the upgraded pistol will basically end up as your machine gun.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Im on my first play through and I'm only using the human abilities. Gold pistol, shotgun and stun gun get a lot of use. Recycling all the psi needles really make it so that resources aren't a problem, ever.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

MikeJF posted:

And the supply issues are a deliberate gameplay control factor too, although I'm not sure how well done it is.

If you give yourself more ammo, the upgraded pistol will basically end up as your machine gun.

On my first playthrough ammo was rare enough that it became attractive to use gloo/wrench combo, or stealth, or alien powers, which seems like exactly what you'd want it to do.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I was 10 hours in and it was getting pretty frustrating, mostly because I definitely picked all the wrong neuromod upgrades. It'd been months and months since I last played, too, so I was tempted to (and did end up going through with) just restarting completely.

The graphics overhaul mod turned out to drop my FPS from a ~90 average to a ~25 average even in the 'lighter' version of the mod so that went out the window. I skipped on the cheat-y resource boon mod too, and instead just ran with the 'make recycle grenades give more materials' because why the gently caress not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
On my playthrough i didn't use the Q beam (you had to take damage to use it, gently caress that) so I ended up using the shotgun and grenades for everything. Pistol was used solely to plink away at fuckers at a machine gun pace from a distance. My clicking speed it obscene at this point, pretty sure i'm going to ruin my mouse.