Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Zero VGS posted:

You should get that Bitcoin heatstroke checked out...

I'm open to this view because its self serving for me on the implication mining will return to profitability so I hope youre right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGOUuXFucEg

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

And yet difficulty is not going down at all, in fact still expected to increase... wtf?

https://data.bitcoinity.org/bitcoin/difficulty/5y?t=l

Running at a loss because of their great belief in the power of bitcoin, surely

Yeah mining was super unprofitable in the months where bitcoin had crashed to like $200 but the hash rate never decreased. At the time it was theorized that the Chinese miners were just trying to evade currency controls, so in that context they can mine at a loss because profits were never the point

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Sorry, I got the GPU list wrong - it was 14 total, 8x 1060 and 6x rx580. They couldn't source the 1070s they wanted and bought all of those instead because they were tired of waiting.

They couldn't have paid 10k (I hope), but still in the thousands.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

8x 1060s, the card most people in this thread have been like "nah not worth the hassle for <$1/day"

lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Which is still an extra $200 / month in power bills at 15c/KWh to the landlord. I'm sure they will never notice that.

($200 can last me 5 months in electricity despite using the air conditioning everyday at 17c/KWh) :brag:

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somebody should make a cryptocoin that can only be mined on soundcard DSP chips. I want to see soundblaster arrays before history turns the page on this poo poo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

QuarkJets posted:

8x 1060s, the card most people in this thread have been like "nah not worth the hassle for <$1/day"

also the card which is going to have the biggest fall in resell value when next gen cards come out

if they paid more than about $300 per card for that setup they're gonna lose their shirts, new 1060s are staying in stock at $350 and trending downwards.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Picked up a 1070 for $350 locally. Not an incredible deal but I can live with that

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lube banjo posted:

Picked up a 1070 for $350 locally. Not an incredible deal but I can live with that

Cheaper than what I paid two years ago ($430) so doing better than I did.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The used 1070 I bought here in June was $325, so not bad given all that happened in the interim.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

lol

https://www.nicehash.com/profitabil...=0.725;a27=1.32

Lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

8x of those so $4/day for the whole setup, not counting the AMD cards.

Let's say you get a real bargain and get the 1060s for $300 each. $2400 for the cards, making $4/day, so 600 days just to break even if you don't pay electricity and if the BTC price remains stable and if the landlord doesn't come to complain about the spike in electricity costs

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 31, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

But difficulty goes up every month so even if everything stays the same, you earn 1-18% less every time difficulty rises...

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
wrong thread

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 31, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
6687.1 USD

Why are u guys not hodling

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Antlers posted:

Somebody should make a cryptocoin that can only be mined on soundcard DSP chips. I want to see soundblaster arrays before history turns the page on this poo poo.

OR something that uses the processor on hardware RAID cards. So you can RAID your RAID card..... :derp:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Palladium posted:

6687.1 USD

Why are u guys not hodling

BUY

THE

CRASH

I MEAN DIP

DIP

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Correction!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
put your funds into my dip

when I dip you dip we dip

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Paul MaudDib posted:

put your funds into my dip

when I dip you dip we dip

:golfclap:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
No double dipping. That's just gross yo.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

No double dipping. That's just gross yo.

But what if EVERYONE dips

This is the power of descentralization

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Saw a used 1070Ti locally for $500. Not low enough under retail for me to take a gamble for abused/no-warranty hardware. Needs to hit $300 for that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Uhh if it was an Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, or MSI you were wrong about that "no warranty" thing.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Craptacular! posted:

Uhh if it was an Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, or MSI you were wrong about that "no warranty" thing.

"Card shows as stolen, warranty claim denied."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Who the gently caress does that?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"Card shows as stolen, warranty claim denied."

Seems pretty unlikely.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Craptacular! posted:

Warranty doesn't exactly cover abuse and some idiot flashing poo poo firmware on it. Maybe your risk tolerance is different but I've seen too many atrocity mining rigs.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Warranty doesn't exactly cover abuse and some idiot flashing poo poo firmware on it. Maybe your risk tolerance is different but I've seen too many atrocity mining rigs.

The 10-series cards require signed firmware that, AFAIK, has not been cracked yet. So no shady firmware shenanigans like in ages past.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
nm, beaten

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

DrDork posted:

The 10-series cards require signed firmware that, AFAIK, has not been cracked yet. So no shady firmware shenanigans like in ages past.

And current AMD cards, im sure most of us are aware but just in case someone is reading through this and doesn't. I'm pretty pro-used-mining-cards just based on the past but I'm a lot less happy buy a 580 with a mining bios flashed on it, for example. And for this last gen that bios was a significant difference in mining.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Running at tighter VRAM timings won't physically affect the card. The voltage is the same and everything. As long as they flash it back, it's no different to any other card.

It could be a problem if they didn't flash it back, and games aren't stable at the tighter timings, but in principle Ethereum is a pretty heavy workout and if it's stable there it should be stable anywhere.

I don't see much of a problem with miner cards beyond the relatively high number of power-on hours at unknown core voltage and fan settings/temps. Like, what miner isn't going to say that they ran it nicely for just two months before they decided to sell?

And frankly that's assuming they tell you at all. I mean, unless they list 10 of them at once, how do you know they're a miner? Hell, how do you know it's not a third-hand card that was mined on before they got it?

At this point, unless you have a card with a known provenance (a friend who you know doesn't mine/etc) then you pretty much have to assume every card newer than GCN 1.0 could have been mined on. The cards that are least likely to have been mined on are Fermi, Kepler, and Maxwell, but really you just don't know. Treat every used card like it was potentially mined on.

(Truth is, unless you can buy from a friend you'll just have to take what you can get, this is already factored into the prices of used cards, and it's truthfully not that big a deal. GCN 1.0 and 1.1 cards pulled tons of power vs today's cards and had lovely blowers that ran crazy hot, and there's a lot of cards that mined back in 2014 that are still doing fine for gamers today.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 2, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

I have done dozens of RMAs with all of the above manufacturers, on cards I've all bought secondhand, including mining cards, cards with the cooler re-pasted, and flashed Bios, and never once had a problem. The warranty is bound to the serial, and those 4 companies are happy to honor it, sometimes giving a free upgrade in the process. They are not supposed to give you a hard time about it nor do they have the bandwidth/wherewithal to go Sherlock Holmes your claim, so as long as you're not being a complete dick to them it should be perfectly fine.

Edit: with that said, EVGA has the smoothest process by far, then MSI, then Gigabyte, and Asus as the sloppiest.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Crosspost from altcoin thread:

I’m probably gonna be selling some of my EVGA GTX 1070 FTWs and SC2s soon (I have three of each). EBay has them between $400-450 so yeah, I’d rather avoid the EBay fee and rather a goon use them for their actual purpose rather than a shitheel miner like me.

Yeah, they were mined on for a solid four to eight months or so (one card is older than the others), but they were at 70% TDP max and peaked temp at 64C @80% fan speed and still have over two years of warranty so they’re in pretty loving good shape. I’ll probably post pics of the mining setup so people can see that it wasn’t a cardboard monstrosity, but had great airflow and was actually babied for when I planned on selling them.

I’ll link the SA Mart thread when I make it if any of y’all are interested.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You don't need to post in multiple threads to gauge interest in your cards, just poo poo or get off the pot.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Sorry :( I told him to. I am a GPU card selling consultant.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Bitmain announced their ASIC, the E3 miner, producing 180 MH/s at 800W The efficiency is actually terrible, effectively the same as a GPU in terms of hash/w (actually very slightly worse). They do note that these are "conservative" numbers but still, that's a little disappointing after all that build-up. Maybe some of the other ASIC companies have had better luck.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Bitmain announced their ASIC, the E3 miner, producing 180 MH/s at 800W The efficiency is actually terrible, effectively the same as a GPU in terms of hash/w (actually very slightly worse). They do note that these are "conservative" numbers but still, that's a little disappointing after all that build-up. Maybe some of the other ASIC companies have had better luck.

180MH is really good for 800 USD, you’d need like 6 1080Tis for that(plus the rig), so efficiency is not as big of a deal. GPU mining is ded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There's no way it's a coincidence that Bitmain is advertising exactly the same efficiency as a GPU, they have to be throttling them. Bitmain is trying to get a foot in the door here, so Ethereum doesn't immediately hardfork like Monero did. Then next generation they will start opening up the throttle (knowing Bitmain they are probably already pre-mining on a newer generation). Gotta boil those frogs slowly.

That or it's actually a bunch of GPUs on MXM cards or something, but I don't see any reason to doubt that an ASIC company is releasing an ASIC.

The whole "oh well maybe 180 MH/s or maybe faster, gee I dunno guys" schtick only adds to my certainty here. Don't bullshit me, Bitmain premines like crazy, they know exactly how fast these things are.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 3, 2018

• Locked thread