Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

infernal machines posted:

also it looks like this

In all seriousness is there some sort of conspiracy to make these things ugly af? I can understand making a car "pretty" being difficult given the constraints a designer has to work with and shifting fashion tends, but you can't convince me that's the best they can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there are so many i3s around here that i’m convinced they’re bought as a form of conspicuous consumption

well they are conspicuous as gently caress

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

ok i tried to just request this when i saw this post but it took forever to put together

mines 35 products - 97.7 GB in zip format

That's weird, you'd think wikipedia would compress better

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

That's weird, you'd think wikipedia would compress better

we including talk pages here?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I love the i3s bicycle tires

also someone in my neighborhood has an i8 or whatever

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

if i didn't have to park on the street i'd prob get a bolt or something. or an i3 when they were selling them for like 50% off.

but yeah the i8 is proof enough that bmw can make an ev that's not goofy af, and it was just a stylistic choice for the i3.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TerminalRaptor posted:

In all seriousness is there some sort of conspiracy to make these things ugly af? I can understand making a car "pretty" being difficult given the constraints a designer has to work with and shifting fashion tends, but you can't convince me that's the best they can do.

early electrics looked like hot wheels because of limited power density in the batteries of the time so they needed all the aerodynamic help they could get. however, that cemented "looks goofy" as a signifier of "uses electricity/hybrid" and they sell enough that we're stuck with it for a while.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

if only there were some way i could spend five and a half figgies to ensure that no one would ever touch my dick again

bs cs

top 50

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

TerminalRaptor posted:

maybe netflix is bringing back family matters and hinted to bmw that they needed an urkel car for the new millennium

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

The_Franz posted:

maybe netflix is bringing back family matters and hinted to bmw that they needed an urkel car for the new millennium

urkel’s autonomous car, in a robot voice, after mowing down a pedestrian: “did i do that?”

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

President Beep posted:

urkel’s autonomous car, in a robot voice, after mowing down a pedestrian: “did i do that?”

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there are so many i3s around here that i’m convinced they’re bought as a form of conspicuous consumption

All luxury vehicles are conspicuous consumption

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

President Beep posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

President Beep posted:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

President Beep posted:

tech bubble: urkel’s autonomous car

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

President Beep posted:

e:

techbubble 4.52: urkel’s autonomous car, in a robot voice, "did I do that?"

is right at the thread title cap. just fyi

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 1, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

President Beep posted:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

TimWinter posted:

A 75 mile range and rear wheel drive turning it into a curling stone if there's any snow on the road doesn't really scream 'daily driver' to me.

edit: I mean, the i3 isn't a deathtrap with an autopilot that veers into oncoming traffic and unreachable power cutoffs in an emergency, so it might be a better purchase than a model 3 but it's not an everyman's car by any stretch.

I know a guy who uses one for a daily driver here in Minnesota and he loves it but he also won't turn on the heater in the winter because that wastes power

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

President Beep posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

I know a guy who uses one for a daily driver here in Minnesota and he loves it but he also won't turn on the heater in the winter because that wastes power

the wagon wheels are probably pretty good in the snow bc they would cut into it rather than drifting on top

or at least they could be if you could get more than one kind of tire in that insane dimension

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

ok i tried to just request this when i saw this post but it took forever to put together

mines 35 products - 97.7 GB in zip format

isnt the max size 50gb?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cinci zoo sniper posted:

isnt the max size 50gb?

That's the maximum individual file they'll give - in my case it's one 50 GB file and one file that holds the rest.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

That's the maximum individual file they'll give - in my case it's one 50 GB file and one file that holds the rest.

oic

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

the wagon wheels are probably pretty good in the snow bc they would cut into it rather than drifting on top

or at least they could be if you could get more than one kind of tire in that insane dimension

Those almost look like motorcycle tires; I wonder if they considered using those.

Tire life would be awful but so is the car's range so how many miles are you putting on them in the first place

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ADINSX posted:

Those almost look like motorcycle tires; I wonder if they considered using those.

Tire life would be awful but so is the car's range so how many miles are you putting on them in the first place

given that motorcycle tires are designed to lean while still providing a good, grippy contact patch, i’m not sure how great of an application that would be. if anything you’d be paying for a bunch of tread that doesn’t get used.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

President Beep posted:

we including talk pages here?

I really hope google spy data has talk pages attached where different engineers are going back and forth about gleaned information

- "Algorithms A3 and D6 both put this wednesday as the first time sentor mcmann got involved with his mistress"
- "Those only take his phone data into account, he left his phone at work and met with her three times in July but forgot to put his ipad in airplane mode[36][71]"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

speakign of, just got mine and it is surprisingly small - 6GB

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

speakign of, just got mine and it is surprisingly small - 6GB

“this is very unsettling.”

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
My Facebook ZIP was less than a megabyte.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

fishmech posted:

did they just send you a copy of everything your googdrive has access to?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doom Mathematic posted:

My Facebook ZIP was less than a megabyte.

mine was about 20mb

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

President Beep posted:

“this is very unsettling.”

i think that most of it will be years of backed up photos that went to google photos instead of google drive. ill check a bit later

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

I remember reading something about the “psychology of ugly cars” a while back around the era of the Pontiac Aztec and pterodactyl cruiser. basically... some people have bad taste and some people revel in their bad taste

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AWWNAW posted:

pterodactyl cruiser.

I would purchase this Chrysler product without hesitation

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

really the most upsetting thing isn’t the ugliness of these cars, it’s something about how they’ve been cynically crafted to appeal to the inner guy fiery in all of us

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ABC!

Always never

Be purchasing

Chrysler Products

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

President Beep posted:

ABC!

Always never

Be purchasing

Chrysler Products

which one do you work for

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/980566101124722688