Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wromg character nevermind

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kaincypher posted:

so, just to make sure, but Marco and Kelly are an official couple right?

I don't think so-obviously Kelly came with him to the wedding, and they danced together in Stump Day, but there's been no physical affection or dialogue that would hint they're currently anything more than friends. That said, it's definitely been implied that Kelly wants to get together with Marco, and there's probably going to be some hurt feelings when she realizes he's still hung up on Star.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 25, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All this magic stuff has really started to take a toll on Marco's perception of reality.

Also, Meteora is probably not going to come out of this happy however things go down.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inescapable Duck posted:

All this magic stuff has really started to take a toll on Marco's perception of reality.

Also, Meteora is probably not going to come out of this happy however things go down.

I have a feeling that Meteora is going to be brought down to her lowest point, and then Star and Eclipsa will try to pull her out of it, and help her build her life back up from scratch - no strings from St Olga's, her life will be Pure Meteora, however she chooses to live it. She just has to deal with some growing pains first - losing her butler's life and her bodyguards loyalty is necessary for her to excise all past problems from her life and try again. That's probably partly why she looks younger the more she changes - she may end up looking Star's age by the time she completes her change, and maybe even joining her and the rest of the royal children in trying to make Mewni better in the long run.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Nah, I'm pretty sure Meteora is long past the point of redemption. Her backstory is tragic, but she's still an exceptionally cruel individual who also happens to be more than a little crazy. However this goes, there's no way it ends well for everyone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hard to say given she's been literally brainwashed into being who she is nearly all her life; the flashback has her being strapped into the Clockwork Orange device and taught to suppress her nature in ways that she ended up doing to herself once her caretaker was gone, in a pretty tragic example of the cycle of abuse. And nobody else knows that she's Meteora yet, and her being the true heir to Mewni is the only part of her identity she has to go on now, and something she probably has a pretty good argument for having the right to pursue. She's otherwise destroyed pretty much everything tying her to her old life, though still getting weird over Rasticore, and clinging to the few things she actually enjoys or can look forward to.

Could be set up for a few things, especially if she actually has a reunion with her mother, and a theme of her having the opportunity to make a desperately needed re-invention of herself and move past what she's suffered.

Also, lol that St O's has become a petty teen princess tyranny of examinations. I'm sure there's sororities that ended up like this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Hard to say given she's been literally brainwashed into being who she is nearly all her life; the flashback has her being strapped into the Clockwork Orange device and taught to suppress her nature in ways that she ended up doing to herself once her caretaker was gone, in a pretty tragic example of the cycle of abuse. And nobody else knows that she's Meteora yet, and her being the true heir to Mewni is the only part of her identity she has to go on now, and something she probably has a pretty good argument for having the right to pursue. She's otherwise destroyed pretty much everything tying her to her old life, though still getting weird over Rasticore, and clinging to the few things she actually enjoys or can look forward to.

Could be set up for a few things, especially if she actually has a reunion with her mother, and a theme of her having the opportunity to make a desperately needed re-invention of herself and move past what she's suffered.

Also, lol that St O's has become a petty teen princess tyranny of examinations. I'm sure there's sororities that ended up like this.

The Meteora thing definitely has an undercurrent of freedom from rigidity - as soon as Miss Heinous was thrown out of St Olga's, this was an inevitability as she was free to wander as she pleased. Initially that was to attempt to get revenge on Marco, but then wandering into her nursery triggered the true awakening. As such Meteora is moving much more fluidly than she did before, and her hair is falling out of place and going to the Princess Hair that Star and her Mother sport as teenagers. Now, what was once a schoolmarm trapped by her own rules is now a free spirit, with the agency and power to pursue anything that her heart desires. Of course at the moment things are starting to fall too far in the other direction for her as she has clearly lost some of her mind, probably due to the shock of a whole new person coming to the fore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like she was ever particularly sane and stable in the first place, she's been Miss Heinous kept in place by brainwashing for possibly literal centuries, and clearly had an unstable, sadistic and deeply angry streak under all that.

...oddly enough, between the reveal of her heritage as a half-mewman half-monster, complete with tail, the particular kind of monster heritage she has, being royalty, her incredible power and mental instability, suddenly Meteora is a clear counterpart to Tom. Her father was pointed out ages ago as clearly a similar kind of demon to Tom (and especially so now we've seen Tom's mother) and it seems she's inherited the physical part of that strength rather than Tom's infernal magic power. (and there's a whole bunch of loaded ideas with how Tom insists on being a 'demon', and hides his tail, so Mewmans think of him as something different from a monster. Also that Tom is clearly way more powerful than your average monster, on top of being rich)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's not like she was ever particularly sane and stable in the first place, she's been Miss Heinous kept in place by brainwashing for possibly literal centuries, and clearly had an unstable, sadistic and deeply angry streak under all that.

...oddly enough, between the reveal of her heritage as a half-mewman half-monster, complete with tail, the particular kind of monster heritage she has, being royalty, her incredible power and mental instability, suddenly Meteora is a clear counterpart to Tom. Her father was pointed out ages ago as clearly a similar kind of demon to Tom (and especially so now we've seen Tom's mother) and it seems she's inherited the physical part of that strength rather than Tom's infernal magic power. (and there's a whole bunch of loaded ideas with how Tom insists on being a 'demon', and hides his tail, so Mewmans think of him as something different from a monster. Also that Tom is clearly way more powerful than your average monster, on top of being rich)

Demons are monsters. To use an analogy, Tom is African royalty when he's in the Underworld but he's just another black guy when he's on an elevator in Mewni.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much, yeah. The same people who cultivate the attitude to keep minorities an underclass generally ignore it for minorities who happen to have money.

Also, another realisation; remember when River traumatised Star by joking about how anything like her butterfly form would result in her parents disowning her, sending her away and quietly adopting another girl to be the princess? She might have been right to be scared because that's exactly what they did before.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I thought this was a great gif-able moment.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

kefkafloyd posted:

I thought this was a great gif-able moment.

You were right.

Something about the episode that I thought was interesting how that it mirrored Face the Music/Starcrushed in that both Marco and Star's confession to the other was forced upon them by external actors-for Star, Ruberiot during Song Day and Moon forcibly evacuating her to Mewni, and for Marco, Alex Hirsch's creepy goblin. It's a sweet and sad parallel-they value the friendship they have with each other more than anything else, to the point that they're willing to destroy themselves rather than risk what they have. And paradoxically, by bottling up their feelings and trying to hold onto their platonic friendship, their relationship has become a shadow of its former self.

man those two really need to talk things out, and not while trapped in a photo booth by a demented goblin played by Alex Hirsch

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kaincypher posted:

so, just to make sure, but Marco and Kelly are an official couple right?

they drat well should be

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Man, I was really hoping Marco and Star would stay friends so we'd have an example of a male-female friendship on a cartoon aimed at young people. We need more of those.

Oh well, a love story that spans a lot of time and is as messy and complicated as relationships between teens are is also good.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

they drat well should be

It's fairly clear at this point that Marco only hung out with Kelly so he would have an excuse not to hang out with Star when Tom's around.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's fairly clear at this point that Marco only hung out with Kelly so he would have an excuse not to hang out with Star when Tom's around.

They're both rebound relationships. I think we haven't seen the last of Tad, either.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They do seem to get along pretty well, though. Almost wonder if Kelly is a bit of a replacement, both for Marco and for the show in general, for Jackie-Lynn.

I want to see what happens if Marco moves into Kelly's hair.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/978808131302993921

:toot:

Also:

https://twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/978731545379749889

Man I'd love a DVD set with commentary once the series is over, if only to find out how much was actually planned in advance. Here's to hoping the Gravity Falls set does well enough to convince Disney to give Star the same treatment.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Just watched this week's episodes. The pacing felt a bit weird for the first episode and the first half of the second, but then "Tough Love" gets going and that ending...woof. Season 2 spent the first part of its hour-long ending setting up the second part, but this time all the setup is done and we still have an hour-long special to go.

Incidentally, "Tough Love" proves once and for all that Eclipsa isn't out for revenge or the throne of Mewni, because if that's what she wanted she missed her chance to change sides. She may have gone against Moon at the end, but her reasons were clearly unrelated to that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just saw them myself - I like that Eclipsa (second episode) Clearly recognises that Star is the best hope for her and Meteora's future, and that Moon is a strong ally, and clearly thinks of them as real friends. She recognises that the actions of Moon's great-grandma don't impact on Moon or Star themselves, that they are the same family but better people. In her eyes, their actions have earned them the throne, Star especially. She just wants Meteora to see that.

Also I thought the first episode of the pair was at least funny.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Do like the direction they've taken with Eclipsa. This new conflict is a good progression from the pure, monochrome villainy we got with Toffee.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved her conversation with Meteora:

"What would you like me to call you?"
"Baby Smooth..."
"Oh... OK:???:"
:kimchi:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
On the bright side, Moon getting her soul sucked out isn't anything she isn't used to. And it was only half a soul this time. Toffee made sure to go all the way, Meteora is weaksauce by comparison.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Looks like Moon might have retreated to the Magic Dimension? That's probably going to help her recuperate from...whatever Meteora did to her, but I imagine she'll be incommunicado for a while, at least until Star probably has to go drag her out.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Man, Moon really does gently caress everything up doesn't she?

Also the Ponyhead episode was honestly pretty bad.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 31, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nephthys posted:

Man, Moon really does gently caress everything up doesn't she?

It's hard to blame her, since Meteora is a rampaging psychopath that left a trail of destruction and corpses in her wake. Her real mistake was in underestimating Eclipsa, which is ironic considering Moon's own words at the start of the season-that a parent would do anything for their children.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Regarding the Ponyhead episode

I think they really dropped the ball, in an episode about depression, to have the solution be the depressed person just realizing it's all in their mind and willing herself better. That's not how depression works and it's not a good message for kids who might actually suffer depression one day.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Eclipsa and Moon's next meeting is probably going to be a little awkward. "You tried to beat up my daughter when I was close to getting through to her. That was very very poor parenting Moon :mad:"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pakled posted:

I think they really dropped the ball, in an episode about depression, to have the solution be the depressed person just realizing it's all in their mind and willing herself better. That's not how depression works and it's not a good message for kids who might actually suffer depression one day.

Not only that, but considering how a major theme of the series has been 'change happens, accept it, trying to hold on to the past will only make things worse', having the resolution of Pony Head's horn getting torn off literally be a revision to the status quo the very next episode felt really out of place. I didn't mind the episode overall since I have the very specific kind of brain damage that makes me enjoy Pony Head being terrible, but it was definitely a major missed opportunity.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Pakled posted:

Considering the Korean drama's reveal is that the protagonist was just being a drama queen, I think Pony Head was pouting and not clinically depressed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I quite liked about the second episode was that Meteora doesn't consider her time as Miss Heinous to be wasted years or a double life - Meteora was the Headmistress at St Olga's and she still loved every minute of it and regrets being ousted. Also like the exchange regarding that with her mother:

"I was a great Headmistress..."
"You did steal the souls of your pupils to maintain your youth..."
"Oh... you noticed :("

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Promo for the season finale is out:

https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/980157970041528320

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Considering the Korean drama's reveal is that the protagonist was just being a drama queen, I think Pony Head was pouting and not clinically depressed.

Yeah. It's that. Ponyhead is just the kind of person to fake, or exaggerate a depression, just to get attention.
She has been pretty much the worst from the beginning of the series and never really tried improving anything about herself, because of her blown up ego. So I hope there aren't children who feel like they should identify with her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hoo boy, Meteora. It looks like she's come to embody the worst traits of monsters and mewmans, with the entitlement to take what she wants down to draining the souls from others to increase her power and maintain her beauty, to destroy and dominate on a whim, and take the throne despite having little she really wants or needs with it besides her birthright- and she has both massive brute force and destructive magic.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Season finale already? What a bummer. No way this won't end without a cliffhanger of sorts, even with four episodes. The end of the Toffee arc settled all the immediate plotlines and they still made room for more story. Guess somebody needs to put the Magical High Commission in their place as is.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Pakled posted:

I agree. Also, the only conflict is that Pony is depressed and the way she resolves it is by just watching her show. The only reason there's a whole chase scene altogether is to have Pony doing something other than watching TV. If Star hadn't shown up and had a chase scene the episode would have played out the same regardless. It was pretty weak.

The second episode made up for it though, even if the ending was pretty baffling.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not only that, but considering how a major theme of the series has been 'change happens, accept it, trying to hold on to the past will only make things worse', having the resolution of Pony Head's horn getting torn off literally be a revision to the status quo the very next episode felt really out of place. I didn't mind the episode overall since I have the very specific kind of brain damage that makes me enjoy Pony Head being terrible, but it was definitely a major missed opportunity.

I too have that specific brain damage that let's me enjoy how annoying ponyhead is, but nothing really happened this episode.I think not having this korean show be a meta parody of the shipping drama (Ember Island Players style) is a missed chance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It seems to be mostly to establish that unlike some other settings, flying pony head horns aren't actually very important.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3de8y4vBRjg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Quality content by Disney.