Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What the hell happens next?
This poll is closed.
They literally set fire to the ring by accident 2 2.22%
They literally set fire to the ring on purpose 6 6.67%
Film 6 months of content accidentally using WWE prop belts 6 6.67%
Rehire Jeff Jarrett 23 25.56%
Start splicing in archival footage of AJ Styles and pretending it's current 23 25.56%
Accidentally switch the live Pop TV feed to the WWE Network 6 6.67%
Lose the keys to the production truck, film 6 months of content in the parking lot with a Samsung 7 7.78%
Sue a fan who flips the bird on air, lose all company rights to said fan 13 14.44%
Somehow everything gets good and they start making money (Comedy Option) 4 4.44%
Total: 90 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bigass Moth posted:

Don’t assault children.

put Chuck Taylor in jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Super No Vacancy posted:

not a ringing endorsement of what

I’m saying if ROH is number 2...I’m not impressed.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

not impressed with what the industry? fans’ taste?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I keep hearing Ring of Honor is the strongest its ever been but I dont know who is even in roh anymore

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Super No Vacancy posted:

not impressed with what the industry? fans’ taste?

I don’t know. It just comes off so...corny to me. I’m not saying there isn’t talent there. I think Dalton Castle is very charming and I’ve been a Jay Lethal mark for a while. But the whole promotion just feels like the B-movie equivalent of a wrestling promotion. The Troma of pro wrestling. Only boring instead of cool. I don’t know, am I making sense?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I keep hearing Ring of Honor is the strongest its ever been but I dont know who is even in roh anymore

Financially they probably are, in ring lol no.

It’s not bad right now but there’s nothing that great and the Bullet Club is pretty much the only thing keeping it from being totally skippable.

Their desire to lock guys into exclusive deals really hosed themselves over.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
ROH is where you go to watch new japan guys at a decent time of day

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fart blood posted:

I don’t know. It just comes off so...corny to me. I’m not saying there isn’t talent there. I think Dalton Castle is very charming and I’ve been a Jay Lethal mark for a while. But the whole promotion just feels like the B-movie equivalent of a wrestling promotion. The Troma of pro wrestling. Only boring instead of cool. I don’t know, am I making sense?

Troma's a really off-base comparison, since their whole thing was guerilla filmmaking on next to no budget which caused their stuff to come off as funny (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not).

ROH is owned by major media conglomerate who refuses to spend much money on them, but because they have some extremely talented guys, it's sometimes good anyways. It's not really a valid comparison. I sort of agree that exclusive deals hurt them, but I also feel that as they grew, it was something that was bound to happen. Ideally you want your talent to be seen as something special people can't get elsewhere.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

Not exactly a ringing endorsement...ROH has been on the decline for a long time. The special feeling of 2005–2006 is long gone.

Their business is doing better now than it ever has been and it's not even close.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Their business is doing better now than it ever has been and it's not even close.

I consider it a badge of honor to be corrected by you.

That being said, I don’t feel as into the product as I felt in 2005.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

fart blood posted:

The product has less buzz about it than ever but it's been exposed to such a wide audience that it's doing better than ever. Like a lot of things in wrestling.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Troma is closer to DDT or CZW than ROH

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
ROH is more cannon films

Or no wait that might be ECW

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
TNA is an Asylum rip-off company that somehow sticks around for decades.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

TNA is an Asylum rip-off company that somehow sticks around for decades.

The Broken Hardys was their Sharknado

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WWE is WWE Films. Nothing good comes out of them, but people will still watch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The first See No Evil was alright (I haven't seen the second one)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The first Marine was pretty good too, as big dumb action movies go.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was legit weirded out by the violence in that movie. I don't know why, it's hardly the worst thing I've seen but something about the way it was put together came across as unsettling to me :shrug:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I was legit weirded out by the violence in that movie. I don't know why, it's hardly the worst thing I've seen but something about the way it was put together came across as unsettling to me :shrug:

Was it the knowledge that Vince insisted that the lead have a two foot penis in it an there is almost certainly deleted scenes with the prop willy in it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was See No Evil wasn't it? I was talking about The Marine.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Was it the knowledge that Vince insisted that the lead have a two foot penis in it an there is almost certainly deleted scenes with the prop willy in it?

Jerusalem posted:

That was See No Evil wasn't it? I was talking about The Marine.

Yea it was and the penis was 3 feet IIRC

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

No one likes or watches Ring of Honor now it just does big business.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
I feel the same way as fart blood tbqh. Back in the day ROH was the best promotion in the US in terms of the actual wrestling. Now it's 3rd, maybe 4th including NXT.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think the real takeaway from ROH's increased business (even with supposed minimal buzz among hardcore fans) is that they successfully marketed themselves as "the WWE alternative" way better than TNA ever hoped to.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Even than I'd wager New Japan actually is bigger and has more buzz in North America than ROH does right now

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

in terms of placement, NJPW sits prettier on US TV. They're the leadin for Friday Night MMA so they're starting to get more crossover from weirdo fight fans than WWE or ROH gets. ROH leads into the nightly depression insomnia infomercial cycle.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm not even talking about their TV reach (even hardcore fans will admit that ROH TV is pointless), but the massive live gates are hard to downplay, and I don't think it can all be chalked up to the Bullet Club (though that's undoubtedly a big factor). And it's not like Sinclair is pumping money into the promotion, they just use ROH as a cheap late-night dumping ground in between MAGA propaganda pieces.

I dunno, I'm not trying to stan for ROH or anything. But they're clearly connecting with a larger audience than usual, and it's worth exploring why they got big and build off that. Otherwise, you go down the road of WCW getting mad that something got over against plans and squashing it, then wondering why they're not making money.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Benne posted:

I'm not even talking about their TV reach (even hardcore fans will admit that ROH TV is pointless), but the massive live gates are hard to downplay, and I don't think it can all be chalked up to the Bullet Club (though that's undoubtedly a big factor). And it's not like Sinclair is pumping money into the promotion, they just use ROH as a cheap late-night dumping ground in between MAGA propaganda pieces.

I dunno, I'm not trying to stan for ROH or anything. But they're clearly connecting with a larger audience than usual, and it's worth exploring why they got big and build off that. Otherwise, you go down the road of WCW getting mad that something got over against plans and squashing it, then wondering why they're not making money.

It's not late night everywhere. I know here in Columbus, it's usually on Saturday afternoon, then Saturday night around 10, then Sunday (technically Monday) at Midnight.

Also, anytime they have a show around here, they run ads like crazy on the Sinclair stations and get wrestlers on morning shows, etc.

They do a pretty good job of leveraging the Sinclair thing to reach out to casual viewers.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Web Jew.0 posted:

I feel the same way as fart blood tbqh

Boy out of context this sounds ridiculous

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

so I found out Ashley Remington is ROH champ which simultaneously answers the question "whatever happened to Ashley Remington" and "Who is ROH champ anyways"

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/963777842982080514

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Does he still do "I break on one" as Dalton Castle because I loved that poo poo

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd go on the Jericho Cruise if I weren't dirt poor

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sami loves being Sami

https://twitter.com/TheSamiCallihan/status/980837172486995974

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016
ROH attendance is up from this time last year. I don't think they've had a single show that hasn't sold out in 2018. This Saturday they'll draw around 6000 people. Nothing can stop their upward trend. New Japan wouldn't even have had a following in America if it wasn't for ROH and the platform they provided.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This thread has gotten way off topic.

Anyone playing Kirby Star Allies?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

yeah it's a fuckin riot

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Roque11 posted:

ROH attendance is up from this time last year. I don't think they've had a single show that hasn't sold out in 2018. This Saturday they'll draw around 6000 people. Nothing can stop their upward trend.

Ah yes, pro wrestling, where small independent companies have unlimited growth and certainly don't spectacularly collapse on a whim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Yep it’s fun as hell