Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Paracaidas posted:

Yes. That typical journalistic step of FOIAing someone's day job to find out if they've used that account to write emails regarding their conspiracy to create a falseflag narrative about homophobic racists in Georgia. Normal investigatory journalism, definitely not a fishing expedition meant to draw a connection for their employer that the target's side gig is creating a burden on them. Full circle, that's the sort of harmful and ridiculous nonsense that many in the Sady/Chu/etc circle pulled on Bruenig after someone revealed his primary employer, and they were rightly pilloried for it.

And you're frankly not paying attention if you haven't been seeing Abrams attacked from the left as a neoliberal masquerading as a progressive. Many of the attacks are even valid! The idea that she/her campaign is conspiring with Johnson to get an advantage by leaking a falseflag lesbian rumor in Georgia is.... not one of them.

Ah. The thread has since been deleted. Only alteration I've made is redacting the name of the journalist. Towards your point, I'll edit upthread to include this.

YMMV on how you interpret that (as well as his other claims that she deserved the harassment). I may be holding Matt to an unfairly high standard, but armed with the knowledge that the backlash (that you coordinated to generate/amplify) has included death threats and threats of sexual violence... I expect a reaction markedly better than "she deserves to reckon with that stuff, got some messages that the time has come, did my part, moved on"

Good morning!

You're consuming propaganda.

-Best,
Potato

Edit - I started making a second effort post from the perspective of a GA canvasser and someone who is used to handling fabricated wedges, but joepinetree has this, so I just want to throw my middle finger into the ring.

You need to consume media better. The Intercept should have been a big red flag that maybe this is a contrivance strung together from elements nobody irl actually believes in or gives two shits about in summary as they're normal.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FOIA is an element of factual reporting, Jesus :fuckoff:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FuriousxGeorge posted:

AKA, the greatest institutional barrier they face is in the primary, because it comes from within the party. There is no institutional barrier to winning the general, the only threat is centrist establishment Democratic purity testing. But the polling shows the people who hate the ever loving poo poo out of centrist stooges like Hillary outnumber the people who hate someone like Bernie. Nominating Bernie is a net win even with the purity testing centrist crowd defecting over lack of purity like they did for Obama in greater numbers in 2008 than progressives did for Clinton in 2016. Democratic rank and file+Democratic leaning independents actually being enthusiastic is a base that can never, ever lose. I am not exaggerating. Please both groups, and it's basically impossible not to win.

How many times does this really need to be explained? EVERYBODY loving HATES CENTRIST ESTABLISHMENT DEMS! Republicans hate them. Republican lean independents hate them. Democratic lean independents hate them. Most democrats barely tolerate them.

Anyone who would not vote for Sanders has no place in a pragmatic (election winning) big tent, so let them loving walk.

I think the issue here is that there are people who like centrist Democrats, "fiscally conservative, socially sensible" upper-middle-class professionals. They are both an absolute minority of the population, and hold considering power in major urban areas if not the country at large especially since they are essentially allied with the actual upper class.

The question is how to actually either beat them or get around them and their "bosses" so to speak.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's kinda dumb that there are so many restrictions to foia.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ardennes posted:

The question is how to actually either beat them or get around them and their "bosses" so to speak.

stop voting for them

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Freedom isn't free :911:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

joepinetree posted:

a- the FOIA (in a case where two campaigns are fighting over who started rumors and a person with a public job was one of the ones pushing one side the hardest) was about intimidation, b- It was intimidation trying to shut him up, and c- it was to shut him up because he dared stand up for a woman of color
While I get where you're coming from-that step, in the absence of anything more solid to connect the campaign to Johnson or his day job to his blogging, still feels as if it was a fishing expidition that had an obvious chilling effect component.

joepinetree posted:

Just like to say that Matt Bruenig wishes for women he disagrees with to be sexually assaulted is just bad faith.
:sigh: not the claim, open to any suggestion on how to reword it to make that more clear.

Potato Salad posted:

I started making a second effort post from the perspective of a GA canvasser and someone who is used to handling fabricated wedges
I'd actually be interested to hear about this (even/especially not tied to this convo). I'll admit some oversensitivity to people linking side activism to creating a hassle for day jobs, given some of the local things I've seen, but it's also a different environment than GA in many ways.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yup. The rules haven't changed quickly enough as technology and tactics have evolved. But then, few people in power actually want to see more transparency into the behavior of people in power. Wish there was a greater sunlight constituency.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/KeeganNYC/status/980162108280266752

For something completely different: MS passed a law ~2000 that's (oversimplified) a state version of RICO and meant to allow prosecutors to prosecute and rollup gangs more easily. Cop orgs say that around half of MS gang members are white, many in white-only orgs. The legislature and cops have recently been pushing to expand this (and to potentially criminalize membership itself :eyepop:), insisting that it's a "safety issue", not racial or partisan.

Turns out, nobody white has been prosecuted under the initial law. ACAB.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

self unaware posted:

stop voting for them

Yeah, we're trapped.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Paracaidas posted:

Yup. The rules haven't changed quickly enough as technology and tactics have evolved. But then, few people in power actually want to see more transparency into the behavior of people in power. Wish there was a greater sunlight constituency.

not just that but they can just restrict whatever. you can't foia any of the important stuff on sandy hook for instance.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

how do I get involved in political campaigns

If you want to get involved as a volunteer, just google (or facebook search) until you find your local political party (presumably Democratic?) or congressional campaign. Email someone on the website/Facebook page saying you want to volunteer. Or find a general meeting or meet-and-greet or something listed on their website and show up.

Radish posted:

I can't believe people are donating to McCabe's legal fund. Politics aside the dude is rich and isn't trying to avoid jail or some unjust punishment, just get the majority of his pension. There are way better things to donate to.

Like yeah he was screwed and he should get his pension like any worker that was promised it but his legal team making it a charity case is pretty gross. It's especially irritating since the types of people donating to that I'm sure are the same people that don't care when regular people get screwed out of their pensions because of whatever bullshit reason.

The McCabes are upper-middle-class but I wouldn't say they're necessarily "rich". Obviously Jill makes decent money as a doctor, but they've got two kids in middle/high school in an area with a high cost of living - I wouldn't count on them being financially secure enough to drop six figures on legal bills.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jackson Taus posted:

The McCabes are upper-middle-class but I wouldn't say they're necessarily "rich". Obviously Jill makes decent money as a doctor, but they've got two kids in middle/high school in an area with a high cost of living - I wouldn't count on them being financially secure enough to drop six figures on legal bills.

Maybe don't donate money for the legal bills of secret police officials???

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Peven Stan posted:

There's nothing secret about the FBI. They are totally upfront about their willingness to murder your kids in an attempt to frame you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jackson Taus posted:

Obviously Jill makes decent money as a doctor, but
Oh god, she's *only* a doctor? Those poor children. They probably live in a single Tesla/mixed Tesla/Mercedes household and only go abroad for vacation once a year.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Peven Stan posted:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Oh god, she's *only* a doctor? Those poor children. They probably live in a single Tesla/mixed Tesla/Mercedes household and only go abroad for vacation once a year.

Oh I'm not saying they're not well-off, but there's a difference between "living comfortably" (of course they don't have Teslas or Mercedes don't be ridiculous) and "being able to absorb a sudden quarter-million dollar expenditure"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they live in a 750k home and he inherited two properties from his mother.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I can't believe some of you donated, jfc

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Holy Jesus.

A Sacramento deputy appears to have run down a protestor.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The same Sacramento PD (more overtly) allied with nazis?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

they live in a 750k home and he inherited two properties from his mother.

Truly the deserving HENRY class.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nonsense posted:

I can't believe some of you donated, jfc
You've got to be kidding me

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I sold plasma to send Rex Tillerson a fruit basket.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Office Pig posted:

The same Sacramento PD (more overtly) allied with nazis?

Of course. In fact that's exactly why they were protesting.

quote:

A protestor has reportedly been hit by a law enforcement officer’s car in Sacramento, where people are rallying in the wake of the killing of Stephon Clark, who police shot in his grandmother’s backyard because they thought his cell phone was a gun.

Buzzfeed’s Blake Montgomery reported on the incident via Twitter.

In his dark and blurry footage, you can see a chaotic scene that appears to show a sheriff’s vehicle strike a protester who walked in front of the vehicle, and then an observer scream “oh my God.”

In a second clip, firemen load a stretcher into an ambulance. The victim is apparently a woman.

“The father says the woman was standing in front of the vehicle as protesters tried to break out the windows of the sheriffs Deputy’s vehicle,” says Sacramento reporter Bob Moffitt of Capital Public Radio News.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/eugenegu/status/980334795870781441

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Countdown to "I feared for my life"

Radical concept: Maybe we shouldn't let these fearful skittish saltines be cops??

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Countdown to "I feared for my life"

Radical concept: Maybe we shouldn't let these fearful skittish saltines be cops??

But then how will they feel powerful?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

But then how will they feel powerful?

That sounds like a personal problem and another reason we need to pour money into mental health and get everybody in therapy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sounds like a good reason to pour money into a police force trained to know no fear

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

quote:

The tank stopped.

LMAO

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I mean, the tanks did stop, until some police came and dragged the guy away.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, the tanks did stop, until some police came and dragged the guy away.

Yea. I would love to see an interview with the guy who stood in front of the tank at Tiananmen Square. You know, just to hear his thoughts on how it all went down. Unfortunately...

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Sounds like a good reason to pour money into a police force trained to know no fear

A Salamander would have been more appropriate, but I'll allow it.

Fear denies faith.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Mornacale posted:

Your argument is hilariously circular. Leftists must be kept from the levers of power because they're unelectable because people like you will go to any length necessary to keep them from power, up to and including supporting neofascism.

That’s not at all what my argument is, and even if it were, that argument isn’t circular.

:allears: the Chinese government machine gunned and crushed with tank treads thousands of protestors literally the night before in Tienanmen. That’s why tank man was pissed!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Paracaidas posted:

While I get where you're coming from-that step, in the absence of anything more solid to connect the campaign to Johnson or his day job to his blogging, still feels as if it was a fishing expidition that had an obvious chilling effect component.

Johnson is a political consultant and media presence. It was in fact such an obvious step that two different reporters from two very different news organizations (unless you think AJC and Cox media are somehow aligned with the intercept) did the same thing. And even if you think that the FOIA was messed up (it wasn't, I am a college professor at a public university and it is always made explicitly clear that our emails are part of the public record), the motives you assigned to the entire news organization requires just about the most bad faith assumption at every step of the way/

quote:

:sigh: not the claim, open to any suggestion on how to reword it to make that more clear.

quote:

Matt Bruenig, probably posted:

But why does nobody threaten Hermione with sexual violence for her political opinions?

On a different matter altogether, a reminder that McCabe doesn't lose his pension for being fired, it just means that he can only start withdrawing from it at age 57. It is pretty gross that people are donating so that a rich guy can retire at 50 instead of 57.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

joepinetree posted:

On a different matter altogether, a reminder that McCabe doesn't lose his pension for being fired, it just means that he can only start withdrawing from it at age 57. It is pretty gross that people are donating so that a rich guy can retire at 50 instead of 57.

How rich is McCabe?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

SimonCat posted:

How rich is McCabe?

Rich enough that he bought a $715 k house back in 2006 and his wife is a pediatric emergency doctor, a specialty that on average makes over $250k a year.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
People aren't donating to McCabe so he can start drawing his pension 7 years early, people are donating to McCabe to signal that the people Trump fires to attempt to cover his rear end on the Russia scandal won't be left out to dry. It's deterrence. Trump, by firing McCabe on the day before he retires, is attempting to intimidate Federal employees who might defy him. We, by supporting McCabe, either financially or rhetorically, are attempting to reassure federal workers that they won't be SOL if they stand up to Trump.

This is not a particularly complicated concept, and yet it seems to be far beyond the ken of a certain type of partisan.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

joepinetree posted:

Rich enough that he bought a $715 k house back in 2006 and his wife is a pediatric emergency doctor, a specialty that on average makes over $250k a year.

Oh, so not rich then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5rQfy9MTU8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Did you donate?

• Locked thread