Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MiddleOne posted:

Literally terrified of clicking the link due to what today is. Hbomb why would you do this :argh:

It's five minutes of Hbomb rambling in slurred speech about how Skyrim's opening sucks and how they keep rereleasing the game followed by forty minutes of credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

There are more things to nitpick about Skyrim but that review is good enough

But seriously I understand that Morrowind is RPG glory but I couldn't get into it even with all those QoL mods. I hated how all those flying things attack you. Even if it wasn't my cup of tea and I'm not treating myself to one of the greatest video game experiences of all time I do appreciate it and I like to hear about it. It's a shame that the Elder Scrolls franchise has watered itself down in subsequent editions. Most of the best RPGs are the ones that are not very accessible. Really looking forward to that Skyrim conversion mod that

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Twitter is run by literal nazis

Jack Dorsey loves Nazis. Biz Stone loves Nazis. Repeat this to yourself ad infinitum, and then DELETE YOUR TWITTER ACCOUNT.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7oCYQ00hBM
Haha holy poo poo yes Phelous!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm so glad that Twitter has protected us from Kyle's extremely offensive tweets.

https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/980465664296091648
I reported a profile for impersonating someone who literally said that they were David Hogg in their description and used his face as their profile picture. Twitter didn't ban them. I've noticed that reporting anything that is obvious harassment of the school shooting victims doesn't get any reaction. Sooo what the gently caress with this.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Dear Youtube content providers who I love, stop polluting my feed with bad Aprils Fools videos.
Tierzoo's was good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

I reported a profile for impersonating someone who literally said that they were David Hogg in their description and used his face as their profile picture. Twitter didn't ban them. I've noticed that reporting anything that is obvious harassment of the school shooting victims doesn't get any reaction. Sooo what the gently caress with this.

Jack Dorsey loves Nazis.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bethesda from 2006 to 2011 was pretty much untouchable because nobody really had an alternative to their type of gameplay. That peaked at Skyrim's release and they've been on a downward slope ever since. Not because their games have been getting notably worse but because they have done nothing substantial to improve their open world gaming experiences. Fallout 4 was treading water and they keep. Rereleasing. Skyrim. Over. And. Over.

The world where they had no competition in open world games no longer exists. It didn't even exist when Skyrim released, since New Vegas had come out the year prior and showed that you absolutely can improve upon the Bethesda formula and go in a wildly different direction. By the time 2015 rolled around you had stuff like Witcher 3 and Mad Max absolutely clowning the Bethesda formula while fallout 4 felt like it should have come out in 2012.

So I can understand putting little effort into a dissection of Bethesda games. It's about as much effort as they put into making them. They are utterly stagnant as developers.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DoubleCakes posted:

There are more things to nitpick about Skyrim but that review is good enough

But seriously I understand that Morrowind is RPG glory but I couldn't get into it even with all those QoL mods. I hated how all those flying things attack you. Even if it wasn't my cup of tea and I'm not treating myself to one of the greatest video game experiences of all time I do appreciate it and I like to hear about it. It's a shame that the Elder Scrolls franchise has watered itself down in subsequent editions. Most of the best RPGs are the ones that are not very accessible. Really looking forward to that Skyrim conversion mod that

You could play morrowind in Oblivion, which doesn't fix a lot of things but does definitely make it easier to engage with.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Jack Dorsey loves Nazis.
Yeah it's super scary. Didn't/doesn't he follow Cernovich?
I also tried to report that rear end in a top hat who was afraid to board a plane because some black dude working there had a beard. Like dude you literally called him a terrorist, posted a picture of his face and disclosed where he works. No dice.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Arcsquad12 posted:

By the time 2015 rolled around you had stuff like Witcher 3 and Mad Max absolutely clowning the Bethesda formula while fallout 4 felt like it should have come out in 2012.

Eh, what? Outside of being somewhat similar in setting Witcher and Mad Max has nothing in common with the Bethesda formula, they are still the only one in that race. Like unless you can effectively play some kind of fantasy Sims it's not even close to Bethesda RPGs.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DoubleCakes posted:

Even if it wasn't my cup of tea and I'm not treating myself to one of the greatest video game experiences of all time I do appreciate it and I like to hear about it. It's a shame that the Elder Scrolls franchise has watered itself down in subsequent editions. Most of the best RPGs are the ones that are not very accessible.

I feel like that's sorta one of the things that makes them so memorable and leads to having so much to talk about. When a bunch of games keep squashing stats or making builds mostly pointless, cutting down on choices & consequences type stuff, cutting down on dialogue mattering, giving you an obnoxious quest compass, putting everything on the beaten path, everyone ends up having much more samey playthroughs and that much less to storytime about.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

corn in the bible posted:

You could play morrowind in Oblivion, which doesn't fix a lot of things but does definitely make it easier to engage with.

counterpoint: much like everything else in oblivion, that game engine is loving gutter trash in every possible way. i tried morroblivion and it was complete dogshit.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

financially racist posted:

counterpoint: much like everything else in oblivion, that game engine is loving gutter trash in every possible way. i tried morroblivion and it was complete dogshit.

You can make the world more interesting, but the terrible putty faces are forever.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yardbomb posted:

I feel like that's sorta one of the things that makes them so memorable and leads to having so much to talk about. When a bunch of games keep squashing stats or making builds mostly pointless, cutting down on choices & consequences type stuff, cutting down on dialogue mattering, giving you an obnoxious quest compass, putting everything on the beaten path, everyone ends up having much more samey playthroughs and that much less to storytime about.

i can kinda see this. i always wished morrowind was more accessible just because when i first played it, i hated it, but it eventually became my favorite game ever. i totally understand why a lot of people bounce off it before 'getting it', and i think it's a shame because the poo poo morrowind does right is poo poo no other game before or since has done anywhere near as well as morroind did and i think everyone should experience the game in its entirety at least once. but yeah, i guess the only real way to 'streamline' the experience would also probably rob the game of a whole lot of its soul, and besides that i didn't like the streamlining that bethesda did to oblivion or skyrim at all.

Yardbomb posted:

You can make the world more interesting, but the terrible putty faces are forever.

*arranges items nicely on table, sits down on chair, items explode off table in every direction*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sarcopenia posted:

This is a company that had to come up with ridiculous excuses as to why Trump could be allowed to violate the site’s Terms of Service and not get banned.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

*arranges items nicely on table, sits down on chair, items explode off table in every direction*

*Takes an item off a table, everything else shudders and floats a foot upwards*

Maybe some day we'll be free from the curse that is gamebryo.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I'm the one who spent literally hundreds of hours in Oblivion, lol. Like, so much freaking time playing that game, doing all the mods. And Fallout 3 too.

After all that I'm not sure if I'll ever have much desire to play another one of those games, mind. I couldn't get the same from Skyrim or Fallout 4. I do wanna really get stuck into New Vegas some day though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Even with its bugs, New Vegas is still my favorite Fallout game

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Super Eyepatch Wolf has a new video about... wrestling?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQCPj-bGYro

And it's... good?!?!

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I think it was on the Giant Bombcast like a year and a half ago that talked about how weirdly connected wrestling is with nerd poo poo. There's a pretty significant overlap between people who are way into games, comics, and/or wrestling.

If this is said in the video uhh... whoops! Going to watch it later when I'm not surrounded by family.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

For all its many problems, I still like Fallout 4 because of the freedom it gives you. Yeah, the main quest is bad but the world and characters are well-made enough to serve as the backdrop for a crafting and exploration simulator, which is what I treat it as first and foremost. Plus some of the sidequests are cool and it’s always fun to see what the modding community comes up with. Remember that New Vegas was basically just a really big Fallout 3 mod, which couldn’t have existed without the original game (which I also like).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DoubleCakes posted:

Most of the best RPGs are the ones that are not very accessible.

And that's why I unironically the SaGa series.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wish my attention span worked worth a drat because New Vegas is entirely my kind of poo poo and I suspect I could get over the hump (and assemble the right mods) to finally try Morrowind but the longer a game is the more likely I am to get distracted and just drop it. And then it becomes a weird problem because starting entirely from scratch would be a pain, with no guarantee that I wouldn't fall off of it again (and probably sooner since I'm repeating stuff) while jumping right back in would suck about as much because I'll have forgotten everything. :(

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mr.Radar posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf has a new video about... wrestling?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQCPj-bGYro

And it's... good?!?!

Of course it is. Wrestling is good.

I'm really glad that he didn't spend time covering stuff everyone already knows about (Montreal being a big one) and instead dedicated time talking about how rad the Golden☆Lovers were/are. Really, he could've spent the entire video's length talking about the wonderful thing that is Dramatic Dream Team and it'd still just be the tip of that particular iceberg.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

John Murdoch posted:

I wish my attention span worked worth a drat because New Vegas is entirely my kind of poo poo and I suspect I could get over the hump (and assemble the right mods) to finally try Morrowind but the longer a game is the more likely I am to get distracted and just drop it. And then it becomes a weird problem because starting entirely from scratch would be a pain, with no guarantee that I wouldn't fall off of it again (and probably sooner since I'm repeating stuff) while jumping right back in would suck about as much because I'll have forgotten everything. :(

new vegas is stupid good. i kinda obsessively played that game for a few months pursuing all the endings and doing everything in the game just because the world hooked me so well. it was so well-constructed narratively and in terms of world building compared with everything bethesda has done post-morrowind. i'd kill for obsidian to develop the next elder scrolls game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'd kill for obsidian to develop the next elder scrolls game.

God I wish, New Vegas having been the previous game made FO4 all the more disappointing in it's writing and world and most other things.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRjo2WYvaTA

Noah Caldwell-Gervais revisits Dying Light. I'm considering picking up the game just from this review.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
When I sputtered out, I was just about done cleaning up Freeside, had earned the right to enter New Vegas proper (so not even quite into the main questline), but then got caught up in a tangle of sidequests (hell yes I want to prioritize saving Rex and helping Veronica). I was blown away by how goddamn complex and spider-webbed everything was. All the overlapping quests, locations, and characters are a real feat of design, but I fear that deluge of options might've been what helped burn me out on the game.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hel posted:

Eh, what? Outside of being somewhat similar in setting Witcher and Mad Max has nothing in common with the Bethesda formula, they are still the only one in that race. Like unless you can effectively play some kind of fantasy Sims it's not even close to Bethesda RPGs.

I'm just amused at using Mad Max as an example. The game is fine, but like, really by the numbers open world exploration that's got too much of a grind, as well as being nothing at all like the Bethesda games it supposedly clowns.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

rudecyrus posted:

Noah Caldwell-Gervais revisits Dying Light. I'm considering picking up the game just from this review.

Dying Light is like the one zambo game you can recommend to people even after the genre's long since worn out it's welcome.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

khwarezm posted:

I'm just amused at using Mad Max as an example. The game is fine, but like, really by the numbers open world exploration that's got too much of a grind, as well as being nothing at all like the Bethesda games it supposedly clowns.
Yeah it’s ok, but very repetitive

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hel posted:

khwarezm posted:

Then allow me to clarify. When I said "alternatives" to Bethesda open world RPGs, I didn't mean games that tried to be Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Hence the word alternative. Bethesda games are still Bethesda games, but if you want your open world fix of fantasy or post apocalyptic settings, there are better games out there. Skyrim wasn't even the best RPG that came out in 2011, just as Fallout 4 wasn't the best RPG that came out in 2015. They have stagnated while other games have seen what works in Bethesda games and improved upon them while remaining their own entity rather than trying to ape Bethesda.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Yardbomb posted:

God I wish, New Vegas having been the previous game made FO4 all the more disappointing in it's writing and world and most other things.
There is a group of modders trying to upscale New Vegas in the FO4 engine, but the problem is that there are some weird legal issues with the voice files.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dragonatrix posted:

Of course it is. Wrestling is good.

I'm really glad that he didn't spend time covering stuff everyone already knows about (Montreal being a big one) and instead dedicated time talking about how rad the Golden☆Lovers were/are. Really, he could've spent the entire video's length talking about the wonderful thing that is Dramatic Dream Team and it'd still just be the tip of that particular iceberg.

I'm really glad we in the nerd community are moving away from 'hur hur wrestling is fake idiots' to actually talking about how this poo poo is just anime/soap operas done live because there's so much more crazy/silly poo poo to talk about than the most obvious cheap takes.

Golden Lovers are loving rad, that's a much more fun thing to talk about than the same thing even non-fans probably know the spark notes of.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fallout 4 suffers from diminishing returns since it's the fifth Gamebryo starting from Oblivion. It's a marginal improvement on prior titles but it's not innovative at all. You can pick up any object you find but that fluff doesn't cut it anymore. You can build your own house, at the expense of there being few towns in the game and there being no real purpose to the building system.

It baffles me Bethesda keeps trying to do this personal family-drama nonsense in Fallout when the appeal has always been being a silent protagonist exploring a foreign land.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The town building thing was so half-assed, they should have left it out

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

rudecyrus posted:

I picked up a copy of Homefront 2 (dirt cheap too) based on Noah's review of the series and was pleasantly surprised. I then grabbed the Expansions (also really cheap, thanks angry commenters) after his videos look at those. Again I wasn't disappointed.

Oh in some other news Cinema Nippon for their April fools joke did a legitimate review of an Italian film Sacco and Vanzetti. Its a very good film and the review isn't bad, I don't like the guest they brought on, but he does bring some interesting knowledge of Italian cinema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdnznPf9gDA

Also I'm mentioned in it as one of the research assistance as I gave them some recommendations for reading about the subjects the film touches on. :anarchists:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FlamingLiberal posted:

The town building thing was so half-assed, they should have left it out

This is the actual core issue with Fallout 4 imo. The idea of being this force for building in the wasteland - whether you're a brutal conqueror or a liberating hero - is compelling but instead of having some kind of system where the wasteland visibly improves in a satisfying way, they foisted the task onto the player and modding community and said "gently caress it, they'll spend 50 hours playing a lovely version of SimCity with bad tools, right?"

Even with the bad main plot, Fallout 4 had huge potential in its concept. Hell, I don't even think the main plot was inherently a bad idea, they just decided to implement it in the worst possible way.

Also hbomb you should make an actual unironic video about Skyrim later. :colbert:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The lovely Stuart Ashen has done a nerdy version of Blockbusters! Featuring Nostalgia Nerd, Octav1us Kitten and MrBiffo. The sound's great, the people are awesome and it didn't cost $90,000 to make!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv9HcIXlLH0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It baffles me Bethesda keeps trying to do this personal family-drama nonsense in Fallout when the appeal has always been being a silent protagonist exploring a foreign land.

Pretty much, the FIND YER DAD plot point in FO3 was forgettable and the one highlight was the "Son, we're gonna have to have a talk about nuking that city later!" line. FO4's whole YER FAMILY plot had a lot more problems than being forgettable though, the exact opposite even was one of them, because it was hard to go too long before some dialogue or another would have SHAUN?! coming out of your mouth again, plus the "This is your loving wife and potato baby" to "poo poo THE BOMBS ARE DROPPIN" thing like 10 minutes apart and expecting you to care at all.

• Locked thread