Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I think the crust will form very fast due to lack of moisture and it'll end up dense and sad. You should start it in a dutch oven and form the crust after the spring via the smoker imo

Couldn’t he just put a water bath in the egg as well? I know nothing about bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Smoked a spiral ham was tasty but some parts were dry.. I didn't do the glaze because that poo poo is full of diabetes. 7.5/10 would so again, maybe next time I'll do a glaze / pour apple juice on/ foil wrap to make it not dry.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Coworker says he can't stand when people pour bbq sauce on the meat before trying it. I've had a few guests go to the sauce before trying but it's never bothered me. Any of you have issue with people slathering bbq sauce on everything before eating a piece?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Smoked some spareribs today using the 3-2-1 method. This time I added 1/4 cup of cherry dr pepper during the 2 hour foil wrap step and they came out super tender. Finished them up on the grill to crisp up the outside. My wife and the neighbor loved them.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

RisqueBarber posted:

Coworker says he can't stand when people pour bbq sauce on the meat before trying it. I've had a few guests go to the sauce before trying but it's never bothered me. Any of you have issue with people slathering bbq sauce on everything before eating a piece?

It sucks, but people are people and have their quirks. People instinctively put salt on things before trying all the time, and while I absolutely wish people would try the bbq before they sully it with sauce I know that the argument would be as futile as expecting someone to bite a burger before adding ketchup. Their loss, really.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I know my tastes by now, and I happen to know I like pork with sauce, and beef without.

I'll still make a dry rib every now and then, but I love saucing it before it's done because baking on and letting the sauce caramelize a bit on the ribs is totally amazing.

Still, BBQ is about doing things the way you wanna do them. I personally think it's insane when people dip a nice fatty brisket in some sauce, and I'm sure other people think that way of me when I do the same with some pork ribs.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So I had a go at sous vide brisket this weekend and it turned out a combination of amazing and disappointing. Definitely worth working the kinks out though, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

So the first thing is the meat, I'm in Japan and it's really hard to find brisket. The guy who used to sell them doesn't anymore, and all I could find at the moment was a 1kg chunk of wagyu brisket:

As you can see, there's way too much fat I wound up chucking maybe an eighth of the finished product, but oh well.

Here it is cut in half for the water bath:

And here it is after 24 hours at 155 degrees Fahrenheit:

Looks awful, right?
So, this is where things started to go off the rails. I threw the meat in the fridge over night, and fired up the smoker the next morning. Put together a salt and pepper rub, rubbed it and put it on the smoker for two hours at normal BBQ temperature, about 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Unfortunately a bark did not form at all, and I just ended up with really salty meat:

So, that was the bit that's going to require some fiddling to get right. I'm thinking some yellow mustard to help the rub stick and get some moisture might do the trick. Also might need to smoke hotter or longer, not sure.
But, all was not lost, because the meat itself was incredible:

I've tried making brisket a couple times before, and I've never understood what all the fuss was about until now. With a little bit of sauce to cover up the saltiness, this was amazing. I'm definitely going to be doing this again as soon as i can find some leaner meat to work with.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Stringent posted:

So I had a go at sous vide brisket this weekend and it turned out a combination of amazing and disappointing. Definitely worth working the kinks out though, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

So the first thing is the meat, I'm in Japan and it's really hard to find brisket. The guy who used to sell them doesn't anymore, and all I could find at the moment was a 1kg chunk of wagyu brisket:

As you can see, there's way too much fat I wound up chucking maybe an eighth of the finished product, but oh well.

[...]

I've tried making brisket a couple times before, and I've never understood what all the fuss was about until now. With a little bit of sauce to cover up the saltiness, this was amazing. I'm definitely going to be doing this again as soon as i can find some leaner meat to work with.

I did sous vide brisket before, both with a smoker step (but I smoked before the puddle, not after), and without a smoker step. Both turned out really well.

My favorite way to finish it after sous vide has been making burnt ends out of it in the oven to finish, and not worrying about trying to make a good bark. I'd say give that a try. About 30 minutes total at 350, with a new coating of BBQ sauce every 10 minutes, and you're in business.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I'm bad with pics but I made a side of smoked salmon for Easter. Did the Alton Brown recipe but only had it salted for half the time instead of the full 24 hours, I did that the first time and it ended up way too salty.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I grumble at my coworkers when they dump sauce all over everything but I also made the sauce so I'm not sure what I was expecting

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm bad with pics but I made a side of smoked salmon for Easter. Did the Alton Brown recipe but only had it salted for half the time instead of the full 24 hours, I did that the first time and it ended up way too salty.

Nice! I agree his recipe is too salty if you cure it for 24 hours. Try using a dry rub of brown sugar and black pepper on after the pellicle forms; it forms a nice glaze/crust.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VERTiG0 posted:

Lets see some pics of the crumb , bud

Just for the record, I haven’t forgotten about this or the bacon pic (or the cheese pics). I just had a busy day. I’ll post that stuff real soon.

Meanwhile, has anybody here ever made smoked beef jerky? I found a shitload of recipes on Google and I’m wondering which ones are any good. Here’s a couple of them.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-beef-jerky-recipes
https://heygrillhey.com/dr-pepper-jalapeno-beef-jerky/

And here’s some lists of even more recipes.

https://www.jerky.com/pages/beef-jerky-recipes
https://www.jerkyholic.com/beef-jerky-recipes/

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Meanwhile, has anybody here ever made smoked beef jerky?

Yes, I've made the best beef jerky I've ever had in a smoker and it's super easy.

Buy london broil, avoid overly fatty cuts, cut into thin strips and salt both sides. ( I like to use kosher salt ) Buy this and only this and use it to marinade the meat strips in a ziplock bag for 12-24 hours: https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Aardv...dpSrc=srch&th=1

Ok so you don't have to buy that specific marinade or use a marinade at all I guess, but it's what I used in what I consider the best beef jerky I've ever had. ( You might want to buy 2 bottles and use the other yourself because that stuff tastes amazing, very balanced. ) Depending on your setup, you'll either need to lay the strips out on a racks or suspend the meat with wood skewers or something. If you have to suspend you'll probably want to drain the excess marinade.

As far as temps and how long, I do 180 degrees for 2-3 hours. I guess this is technically cooking the meat and not necessarily dehydrating, but idgaf. It's how I'll make beef jerky until I die.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Just saw this pop up, is it any good? https://tools.woot.com/offers/camp-chef-smokepro-stx-pellet-grill-2?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_3

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
That's a very good price. I just bought a Camp Chef pellet smoker, probably one model lower than that one, and I paid slightly more for mine.

I think it's a very good smoker. I can't speak to long term reliability yet as I've only had it for a couple of weeks but I'm enjoying it so far.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

this is goddamn killer, should i pull the trigger??

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Probably.

My only concern would be that it's not that large.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking to try my hand at smoking meats. Is that deal good enough I should just buy it? Are pellet smokers with digital temperature controls the gold standard? I see bigger electric ones for a lot less, are they not as good?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews-and-buying-guides/how-buy-smoker

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews-and-buying-guides/how-buy-grill/what-fuel-right-you

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks. After some reading, seems like a great choice. Anything I should beware of?

edit: Well, I bought one. Are there pellets that are better than others, or are they pretty much all the same? I know the different woods will be different, I'm just wondering if Oak from one place is going to be noticeably different than from another place.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 4, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've heard nothing but good things about pellet smokers, but don't own one. I have a propane, and my next will either be a pellet or electric. Or a fancy charcoal that has temperature control.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

This is real mystic and all, but uh, do you have anything to eat here?
All this talk about pellet, electric, and propane smokers makes me wish I could have a stick burner in my apartment’s back yard. I’m surprised my landlord allows my PBC, but I managed to convince him that it’s safe. As time goes on I’m getting more and more bored with the more hands-off smokers, and the more I want to be there, tending the fire, an integral part of the process. After all, isn’t that part of what smoking is about?

Also, anyone that is interested - Aaron Franklin’s book is only $2.99 on amazon right now. I’ve been reading it and it’s easily worth that amount. It’s a kindle version, so not the hard copy. You can read it on your phone, computer, tablet, or kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N6PFBDW/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1522879748&sr=8-1

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

BritishRacingGreen posted:

All this talk about pellet, electric, and propane smokers makes me wish I could have a stick burner in my apartment’s back yard. I’m surprised my landlord allows my PBC, but I managed to convince him that it’s safe. As time goes on I’m getting more and more bored with the more hands-off smokers, and the more I want to be there, tending the fire, an integral part of the process. After all, isn’t that part of what smoking is about?

Yeah. I use an off-set firebox smoker even though it's not "perfect" for this poo poo (also I have to replace it every 3-4 years cause I'm cheap) cause drat I wanna play with the fire.

Works awesome, makes killer stuff.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

As time goes on I’m getting more and more bored with the more hands-off smokers, and the more I want to be there, tending the fire, an integral part of the process. After all, isn’t that part of what smoking is about?

For me, absolutely not. It’s about the stuff that affects flavor and the end product.

Heat is heat, smoke is smoke, how much work it took to get there is irrelevant to me.

Also, smoke + sous vide + smoke on a pork shoulder is p good.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you just want to play with fire, which I understand, you can get a little backyard fire pit and poke it with sticks and throw a handful of dried leaves in it. You can do that at reasonable times of your choice, and not for 8-hour stretches beginning at ungodly hours.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

If that is what appeals to you, don't let folks here deter you. I've got a Horizon stick burner and a WSM so that I can choose what type of experience I want. Some folks don't like how much attention has to be paid to a stick burner, but on a Sunday with nothing to do but smoke, drink, and lounge around, a stick burner is paradise.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

To each their own, but I love barely paying attention to it and having delicious meat to eat at the end.

However I do love smelling like a campfire. :v:

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

This is real mystic and all, but uh, do you have anything to eat here?

Anne Whateley posted:

If you just want to play with fire, which I understand, you can get a little backyard fire pit and poke it with sticks and throw a handful of dried leaves in it. You can do that at reasonable times of your choice, and not for 8-hour stretches beginning at ungodly hours.

Fire pits are illegal throughout Boston, MA, so I wouldn’t be able to even have that. Fire codes around here are incredibly strict. Technically my smoker is placed illegally because it’s supposed to be over 10 feet from my apartment. Trouble is that I live on a steep hill, and my back yard is the side with the incline. I only have about 10 feet of slanting back yard leading to a 2 story cliff. Also it’s incredibly windy because the backyard faces the harbor and the wind comes up hella fast off the water, sometimes seemingly straight at my smoker. If I were to place it 10ft away from the house the wind would ruin every single cook, which is why I have it tucked against the foundation and rear staircase.

You have a good point about having to tend to the fire at ungodly hours, but personally I feel like I’d rather be the one cooking. If I wanted a somewhat hands-off cooking experience I’d at least get a Rec-Tec pellet smoker or something that combusts some sort of wood. IMHO electric smokers are just outdoor ovens.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have an electric smoker, the MES 30 inch, because I live in an apartment in a city that also has strict fire codes and it seems to produce meat that is smokey, which is something my oven cannot do.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a dogshit offset smoker. I would probably go insane trying to keep it going for a 10 or 12 hour pork butt smoke, but I doubt I will ever do one without sous vide first, so it’s only a couple hours. I have done ribs that took 6-7 hours, and I think I used about 15 pounds of charcoal and 5 pounds of smoking wood that day. It makes delicious food but drat if it doesn’t vary ~150*F some days.

That said, I have found it fun trying to understand how to control airflow for temperature and I’m thinking of making a couple modifications this summer which should also be fun. Anybody else modified their own smokers?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You have a good point about having to tend to the fire at ungodly hours, but personally I feel like I’d rather be the one cooking. If I wanted a somewhat hands-off cooking experience I’d at least get a Rec-Tec pellet smoker or something that combusts some sort of wood. IMHO electric smokers are just outdoor ovens.

Your definition of cooking is weirdly specific. So much of bbq is not hands off regardless of heat and smoke management. More power to ya, Fire Marshall.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I bought a pellet grill and it's great because playing with fire is fun and all but I don't want to do it for an 8 hour cook; I have too much TV to watch.

I have a real small smoker (GMG Davey Crockett) so I'm picking up a rack to increase my cook space. Will this affect anything in a significant way when using indirect heat? I'm assuming it won't really make much of a difference, maybe slightly lengthen cook times?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

I have an electric smoker, the MES 30 inch, because I live in an apartment in a city that also has strict fire codes and it seems to produce meat that is smokey, which is something my oven cannot do.

Similar, in a townhome with a small deck. HOA doesn't allow charcoal grills, no one has complained about my MES30.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

katkillad2 posted:

Yes, I've made the best beef jerky I've ever had in a smoker and it's super easy.

Buy london broil, avoid overly fatty cuts, cut into thin strips and salt both sides. ( I like to use kosher salt ) Buy this and only this and use it to marinade the meat strips in a ziplock bag for 12-24 hours: https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Aardv...dpSrc=srch&th=1

Ok so you don't have to buy that specific marinade or use a marinade at all I guess, but it's what I used in what I consider the best beef jerky I've ever had. ( You might want to buy 2 bottles and use the other yourself because that stuff tastes amazing, very balanced. ) Depending on your setup, you'll either need to lay the strips out on a racks or suspend the meat with wood skewers or something. If you have to suspend you'll probably want to drain the excess marinade.

As far as temps and how long, I do 180 degrees for 2-3 hours. I guess this is technically cooking the meat and not necessarily dehydrating, but idgaf. It's how I'll make beef jerky until I die.

I’ll definitely have to try that at some point. I think I’ve seen a bunch of people recommend Secret Aardvark over in the Hot Sauce thread.

Any thoughts on the meat? I know I need to use lean cuts to make jerky; Amazing Ribs recommends eye of round, top round, and bottom round, but I like the long flat rectangular strips you get at gas stations, and I’m kinda wondering whatall I’d sacrifice by using flank steak or skirt steak since they’re already flat and easy to cut into strips.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Any thoughts on the meat?

I buy London broil, but google is telling me that it's not a cut of meat... so honestly I don't know what meat I'm buying but it's relatively flat, not overly fatty and excellent for beef jerky and where I buy my meat they call it London broil.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

katkillad2 posted:

I buy London broil, but google is telling me that it's not a cut of meat... so honestly I don't know what meat I'm buying but it's relatively flat, not overly fatty and excellent for beef jerky and where I buy my meat they call it London broil.

what is often referred to as London Broil is Flank Steak.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
What I usually see called London Broil is top round. Flank steak tends to be a more fatty, and is usually pricier too. Anyway in terms of making jerky any lean cut of beef that can be sliced thinly should work: top round, bottom round, or sirloin would be my first choices.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/cutasterfee/status/982359749852389376

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I have been noticing a distinct lack of naked fat chick talk in here...

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lawnie posted:

I have a dogshit offset smoker. I would probably go insane trying to keep it going for a 10 or 12 hour pork butt smoke, but I doubt I will ever do one without sous vide first, so it’s only a couple hours. I have done ribs that took 6-7 hours, and I think I used about 15 pounds of charcoal and 5 pounds of smoking wood that day. It makes delicious food but drat if it doesn’t vary ~150*F some days.

That said, I have found it fun trying to understand how to control airflow for temperature and I’m thinking of making a couple modifications this summer which should also be fun. Anybody else modified their own smokers?

It was not a sad day when I said goodbye to my offset. Like you said, it eats charcoal out the wazoo and trying to keep a consistent temp is impossible unless you are godlike status. What it really does though is teaches you quite a bit. As for mods, you can probably look at chargriller mods. Usually involves flipping the pan upside down and some dryer duct on the vent side to promote a better draft and more even temps across the grate. Which of course is another PITA with an offset.

baquerd posted:

Thanks. After some reading, seems like a great choice. Anything I should beware of?

edit: Well, I bought one. Are there pellets that are better than others, or are they pretty much all the same? I know the different woods will be different, I'm just wondering if Oak from one place is going to be noticeably different than from another place.

Look for ones that have no fillers. Trager pellets are full of fillers. Pellets absorb moisture so keep airtight as possible. But you can always dry them out in the oven or a microwave if it becomes an issue.

tater_salad posted:

Smoked a spiral ham was tasty but some parts were dry.. I didn't do the glaze because that poo poo is full of diabetes. 7.5/10 would so again, maybe next time I'll do a glaze / pour apple juice on/ foil wrap to make it not dry.

Do the glaze. Makes a world of difference and I'm not a big ham glaze guy. But after this past Easter I'm a convert. Even the glaze included with the ham was decent, no HFCS or other crap.