Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I'd probably want it just to be able to check coordinates/biomes and make very specific or underground markers, at the least. And maybe just to get a clearer image at last of the area I've been living in all this time. I doubt I'll be using its minimap though.

Yeah, y-level precision for waypoints is about all I would want it for. There's an optional bauble that prints your biome on screen in age 2 as well (along with X/Z coordinates, Y coordinates, and something having to do with speed that I never made.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Also The Simple Life is so straightforward and versatile that I did my play of it in a Lost Cities map, which provided a refreshing change of pacea.

Did you end up building inside already pre-existing buildings or clearing them out? I also saw that the pack has you starting a village too; so how does it work when you're already surrounded by buildings?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

If anyone is interested I started up a casual modded server

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853116

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just tried that trading post in Farming for Blockheads. I did not expect that villager falling from the sky to serve it. My cat heard that through my headphones and was wondering what the hell.

That was a great way to get the basic ingredients for fake meats.

Is there a good way to get a text file dump of the names of all the mods I installed? I want to share a candidate list for a new pack without vomiting all the raw file names.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Ugh, I did the BQ update thing for MSB3 and now I've got weird quest completions all over the book. Also why did they think adding AgriCraft was a good idea.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

MaliciousOnion posted:

Ugh, I did the BQ update thing for MSB3 and now I've got weird quest completions all over the book. Also why did they think adding AgriCraft was a good idea.

Well I was going to carry on with MSB3 but gently caress 10/10/10 crops in the ear.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm going to start the classic Regrowth for the first time. I already modified Agricraft to be less idiotic in the rush to 10/10/10 but should I install any other mods or keep anything else in mind?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MaliciousOnion posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't need one of every goddamn seed to progress. I'm probably going to cheat them in because who could possibly care?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Agricraft is one of those things you do once or twice then just cheat in from then on because it's totally self contained and influences nothing and isn't fun to grind.

Bouchacha posted:

Did you end up building inside already pre-existing buildings or clearing them out? I also saw that the pack has you starting a village too; so how does it work when you're already surrounded by buildings?
I never finished the pack, though I did get pretty far, but I remember mostly ignoring the Better Colonies thing or whatever the big Millenaire-like mod is being called these days.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Bouchacha posted:

I'm going to start the classic Regrowth for the first time. I already modified Agricraft to be less idiotic in the rush to 10/10/10 but should I install any other mods or keep anything else in mind?

Add Journeymap and Thaumic Energistics.

(You don't need to but I can't find my way anywhere without a map/minimap, and I don't like Thaumcraft without Thaumic Energistics so it's pretty much taste rather than requirements, otherwise the pack is fine imo)

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 31, 2018

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Black Pants posted:

Add Journeymap and Thaumic Energistics.

(You don't need to but I can't find my way anywhere without a map/minimap, and I don't like Thaumcraft without Thaumic Energistics so it's pretty much taste rather than requirements, otherwise the pack is fine imo)

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I dropped Journeymap in my mod folder but it doesn't get recognized by forge or activated as a mod. I tried different versions of forge too

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I tried SevTech, but I had a bad start in an archipelago far from any villages (1 hour of searching without finding any). Should I just make worlds until I start relatively near a village/darklands biome? I really don't wanna plan out longer journeys without a map and with awful GUI-less chests.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Elswyyr posted:

I tried SevTech, but I had a bad start in an archipelago far from any villages (1 hour of searching without finding any). Should I just make worlds until I start relatively near a village/darklands biome? I really don't wanna plan out longer journeys without a map and with awful GUI-less chests.
The GUI-less chests aren't all that bad and I think you can even use Quark's "quick stack to nearby" feature with them, but yeah you definitely want to upgrade as soon as possible.

Personally I think starting near a plains/foresty biome is probably worth restarting for, especially if you're still early on. Darklands biomes are fairly frequent but you will absolutely want an easily explorable landmass with some convenience for your main settlement because you are going to be doing a lot of overland travel.

To be totally honest that's probably my biggest and most recurring complaint in Sevtech: it relies so much on just random wandering, walking or riding around until you just stumble upon things with no way to direct your journey and no recourse but to keep looking until you find it.
  • Horses
  • Village
  • Darklands biome (and then spawns within it)
  • Mulberry trees
  • Jungle biome/Parrots
  • Dark oak trees
  • Ore samples/deposits
  • Even more special ores like aquamarine, rock crystal, octine, etc.
  • Endermen, once they start spawning (you don't even get guaranteed drops
  • Someone mentioned bears too, later on?
I like working at home and the multi-step crafting across different systems. It can get pretty engaging. But so much of my game is just roaming around on horseback (in third person, for a better view height), just looking around for wherever my next macguffin resource has spawned.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, SevTech is basically Exploration gating: the mod. If you don't enjoy hunting for stuff in the world, don't play it. It is an unavoidable task. However, the new version (3.0.4) adds a bunch of stuff to help ease some of the pain.

* There's a necronomicon ritual for summoning a parrot. Parrots also spawn in Savannas. However, finding a parrot is entirely optional. I sure as hell never bothered.
* Shadow beasts now have a much higher chance to drop a shadow gem, and can drop multiple from a single kill.
* Rocks (and their samples) now show up underwater. However, this probably won't show up in an existing world until you generate more terrain.
* You can use animals other than a horse to power horse-powered machines.
* Rarer Geolysis ores spawn in The Betweenlands, and common types were removed. The Betweenlands is really nasty though, so I wouldn't really blame anyone for skipping this one.
* Dowsing rods/prospecting rods now have a 48 block range, up from 32.

Also, some random tips, since I've been engaging in minecraft-assisted self-harm playing this pack a bunch.

* Rivers and oceans have infinite water. I took my Wooden Basin down to the ocean near me and built a small platform out over the beach into the infinite water, and just did all my mixing/water bladder work there.
* There's a little cubby hole in a work stump for placing your Craftin' Rock.
* Use hoppers to fully automate the horse-powered tools.
* The big Shadow Beasts drop whole shadow gems. Turn a stack of cobblestone into 9 stacks of rocks, and right click the rock to throw it for a piddly 2 damage. It's slow, but it will kill a Shadow Beast from outside its shooting range.
* Zaphiel's Waltz (the thing you use to make cedar saplings) is a ludicrously effective and free way to grow a whole lot of plants. Like, you will struggle to harvest them fast enough.
* Abuse the fact that Minecraft is a game that lets you place and remove blocks to make murderholes for killing Lesser Shoggoths, as they are immune to Death By Stoning (and all ranged damage.)
* (Non-iron) backpacks are cheap, upgradable, and dyeable.
* Use waypoints to remember where resource veins are, then collect every sample you see. I made it through Age 2 without having to do any mining just off the backs of the samples I found in the world. (YMMV)
* Deserts loving rule for finding resources, because rocks are super easy to see. If you've chosen the Realistic world setting, head south to find deserts. Also, take cactus home with you as deserts are the only source of green dye and you need it in Age 3.
* Make a slimesling and slime boots in Age 2, and forever relegate your horse to machine bitch.
* Make climbing gloves in Age 2, because gently caress the Twilight Forest's parkour requirements.
* Don't just climb up the side of the Ur-Ghast tower, though -- you want to loot chests inside for goodies. I did break some towerwood to circumvent the dumb locking doors and their RNG-based key drops, though.
* Absolutely take the time to crack open the Secret Vault in a labyrinth, as it has a good chance to spawn excellent armor, silk touch tools, infinity bows, and of course the Mazebreaker.
* Alternatively, if you don't really want to open that vault, tactically employ creepers to blast open sections of the maze to harvest the Mazestone you need to progress to Age 3. You can bring TNT too.
* You can loot intact Carminite Reactors from the Ur-Ghast tower. (Don't set them off.) Also, break and collect every piston you see.
* Hollow hills and hydra dens spawn vanilla ores. It's not an oversight by the mod pack developer.
* Geolysis ore veins spawn in the Twilight Forest. Glaciers make it ludicrously easy to see rock samples; I've scored some bonus rock crystal samples this way.
* Avoid the surface of The Betweenlands. Once you've gotten Weedwood tools, tunnel into the earth and look for a cave. Try not to engage anything more dangerous than a Swamp Hag until you've scored the metal shears you need to make a bed. The Betweenlands wiki is extremely helpful.
* Attune to the Armara constellation. Use a venus flytrap or cactus to grind out the first level, then take the fall damage perk. Take off your slime boots and use the slime sling to intentionally fire yourself into the air to accrue fall damage. You'll get to level 6 this way in about 15 minutes. (You "ouchies" dudes were doing it super, super wrong.) Once you've done that and taken all the perks, enjoy near-invincibility as long as you only wear two pieces of armor.
* Better With Mods waterwheels are placed on axles. Don't spend a ton of time optimizing where you put this; in like three quests you'll unlock clay buckets and the ability to place water source blocks. Do place it out of earshot of your base, though -- they are loud and they never shut up.
* Blood Magic rules. It's optional, but spending some time on this will score you lots of quality of life sigils like Blood Lamp, Water, Lava, and so on. gently caress the torch recipe and its grass punching requirement.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Some really good advice there (building by a river is basically mandatory to start), and a lot of the new QoL tweaks would really have helped for when I was going through Age 1 and the early part of 2. The Baykok's bow has helped me a lot against standard mobs like archer skeletons (especially when I'm caught without a shield) but I did cheese him to kill him.
I may just reset my Betweenlands dimension (by deleting the folder) if they've changed up the ore generation for it. Could be worth my time, especially in later ages, but I imagine spotting samples on the dirt is not easy with all the loving ground that dimension has.

I think if I ever play this pack again I'd just turn a block finder/ore xray on from the start. Give me highlighted ore deposits (or at least samples) and I'll be a lot better off because mining aimlessly and wandering for an hour isn't really that fun to me, and something like that can point you in the right direction and be just cheaty enough to not ruin your experience.

What's your recommended method of getting up and down to those deep ore deposits? I found lapis, gold, and rock crystal in quick succession and my method was making a borehole all the way down, 2x1 (to avoid falling into lava), then using the work blade to carve a ladder back up straight into the stone. But this was pretty tedious and the ladder blocks convert basically at random so getting back up took a lot of time, too.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

AceClown posted:

Well I was going to carry on with MSB3 but gently caress 10/10/10 crops in the ear.

With all the options in the pack for fast crop growth, you don't even need 10/10/10 crops, it's just dumb that it's an entire chapter dedicated to grinding out every single crop. Not sure if grinding leaves for gardens still works but might be worth trying.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Does the Pam's Harvestcraft Market still work in the latest version of MSB3? Might be a way to cheese your way through. Shipping bins + cocoa beans = lol.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

* Better With Mods waterwheels are placed on axles. Don't spend a ton of time optimizing where you put this; in like three quests you'll unlock clay buckets and the ability to place water source blocks. Do place it out of earshot of your base, though -- they are loud and they never shut up.

Alternately, install Dynamic Surroundings and disable the BWM sounds from the list.

Vib Rib posted:

What's your recommended method of getting up and down to those deep ore deposits? I found lapis, gold, and rock crystal in quick succession and my method was making a borehole all the way down, 2x1 (to avoid falling into lava), then using the work blade to carve a ladder back up straight into the stone. But this was pretty tedious and the ladder blocks convert basically at random so getting back up took a lot of time, too.

I just dug a 3x3 staircase down with the center cleared out.

I ended up starting over, AGAIN, with 3.0.4 of sevtech, and I actually got up to and found rock crystal ore so astral sorcery is a go. However, I just realized I hate the concept of astral sorcery so I may be done with the pack regardless. :v: Also, abyssalcraft is a dumb mod and the random events from charging the necro book are dumb. Ask me how many times I toggled it to peaceful to get rid of the latest wave of nonsense. (don't)

Give me pure tech with blood magic, thaumcraft, and ars magica 2 as accessories any day.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 1, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Bouchacha posted:

I recommend cheating in a drawer controller once you get the first few better drawers in the quest line. You do get one granted at the end of the chain but it's really, really far away from when it would be most useful.

I've been itching to get back into minecraft mods but SevTech seems really obnoxious to me. I might try it anyway. I also keep really wanting to play with my rift but the question "does vivecraft work with this mod pack" seems to be cross-referencing every single mod in it and finding some critical one that doesn't work and just checking back in 6 months to see if someone patched it or just waiting for the next big pack.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 1, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

Alternately, install Dynamic Surroundings and disable the BWM sounds from the list.

I just dug a 3x3 staircase down with the center cleared out.

I ended up starting over, AGAIN, with 3.0.4 of sevtech, and I actually got up to and found rock crystal ore so astral sorcery is a go. However, I just realized I hate the concept of astral sorcery so I may be done with the pack regardless. :v: Also, abyssalcraft is a dumb mod and the random events from charging the necro book are dumb. Ask me how many times I toggled it to peaceful to get rid of the latest wave of nonsense. (don't)

Give me pure tech with blood magic, thaumcraft, and ars magica 2 as accessories any day.

Age 3 unlocks "Super Sound Muffler" which lets you whitelist or blacklist specific sounds in an area. This became extremely important when it came time to grind netherrack in a millstone, which repeatedly plays the Ghast "hurt" sound next to the millstone. :gonk:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/java-edition-textures-finally-perfected

This is a real dumb april fools' joke.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You say that like there's a not-dumb April Fool's joke.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Well color me stupid I thought my video card was making GBS threads out or some weird texture pack was defaulted into sevtech since I had just updated it. Kinda rude to force my game to look loving awful for a day.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Well color me stupid I thought my video card was making GBS threads out or some weird texture pack was defaulted into sevtech since I had just updated it. Kinda rude to force my game to look loving awful for a day.

April Fools is a poo poo holiday in our online modern world because everyone just makes their poo poo obnoxious to use for 24 hours and calls it a joke.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
What is the current kitchen sink pack to be playing? Also, does it have any biomes with decent amounts of flat land?

I want to automate everything and have it look nice.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 1, 2018

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005
What I thought was a joke was Ender IO being released but turns out it actually has. Happy days.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Magmarashi posted:

April Fools is a poo poo holiday in our online modern world because everyone just makes their poo poo obnoxious to use for 24 hours and calls it a joke.
There should be a "ha ha okay I get the joke very good" button you can press to put it back to normal.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

You can override the dumb 8-bit color palette by installing a texture pack.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Regarding BWM's sounds, at some point they made the machine sounds much harsher and obnoxious. I made a resource pack to set them back to their quieter versions. You can get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcmy9gasb0kf8xr/BWM%20Gentler%20Sounds.zip?dl=0

It makes the sound of axles a gentle wood creaking, the millstone quieter, and the bellows totally silent.
It doesn't do anything for ghasts, unfortunately, so grinding up netherrack still sounds horrible, but at least you can be in the general vicinity of mechanical power setups without it driving you insane!

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Playing Enigmatica 2 and the quest book is doing this weird thing where it constantly scrolls to the top so I can't get to the lower categories of quests. Is there any way to stop it doing that?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Vaxine posted:

What I thought was a joke was Ender IO being released but turns out it actually has. Happy days.

I'm not entirely sure whether the whole setting bedrock on fire to obtain some special dust mechanic is legit or an elaborate april fools prank.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Fortis posted:

Regarding BWM's sounds, at some point they made the machine sounds much harsher and obnoxious. I made a resource pack to set them back to their quieter versions. You can get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcmy9gasb0kf8xr/BWM%20Gentler%20Sounds.zip?dl=0

It makes the sound of axles a gentle wood creaking, the millstone quieter, and the bellows totally silent.
It doesn't do anything for ghasts, unfortunately, so grinding up netherrack still sounds horrible, but at least you can be in the general vicinity of mechanical power setups without it driving you insane!

There's also an item in Age 3 called the Super Sound Muffler that lets you whitelist/blacklist sounds in its vicinity already in the pack. The netherrack grinding is the vanilla ghast "getting hurt" sound.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I just installed new video card drivers last night so I spent about 20 min reinstalling poo poo and rebooting before I finally noticed the announcement.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Does anything in SevTech require piranhas? They're seriously awful and if I can disable them I'm gonna.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

You say that like there's a not-dumb April Fool's joke.

Google included a minigame of Where's Waldo in maps. Checkmate.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Homestar Runner released an april fool's video that turned into a regular Strong Bad Email after the first minute.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Fortis posted:

Does anything in SevTech require piranhas? They're seriously awful and if I can disable them I'm gonna.

Nope. They're completely harmless if you make a raft (or a boat later) though. They can't really attack you while on it, and you can whack them with a sword while still on the vehicle.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How are the cool kids mining cobalt in 1.12.2? My steel pickaxe head apparently doesn't have what it takes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How are the cool kids mining cobalt in 1.12.2? My steel pickaxe head apparently doesn't have what it takes.

Obsidian, or alumite if it's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

doesnt adding a diamond to it bump it up a lvl? (or you dont mean tinkers?)