Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think I've mentioned it before, but I really wish that Second Life had been better and not full of weird sex maniacs. The potential was always there. Someone I know did some indie record release on there, and we all got to listen to it "live" and it all seemed pretty cool. Welp.

Beware, that's the premise of RPO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Every human technology is used for weird sex stuff, it's just something you have to accept about the species

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Thin Privilege posted:

Wait what happened to lowtax?

Lowtax found a good way to gently caress up your back.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Every human technology is used for weird sex stuff, it's just something you have to accept about the species

The problem with SL is that it ended up being basically nothing else. In theory people could reinvent themselves however they wanted, build whatever they wanted, and share it with others. In practice people just kind of made their lands invite only and then threw nothing but weird sex parties all day.

Aside from the trolling goons did some really incredibly creative stuff.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Screaming Idiot posted:

Beware, that's the premise of RPO.
RPO still has the weird sex stuff, so it's essentially just Second Life Before the Fall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The problem with SL is that it ended up being basically nothing else. In theory people could reinvent themselves however they wanted, build whatever they wanted, and share it with others. In practice people just kind of made their lands invite only and then threw nothing but weird sex parties all day.

Aside from the trolling goons did some really incredibly creative stuff.

Kinda turned out that the whole setup was only really at all useful for weird sex parties after the initial novelty wore off.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They reinvented themselves as sexually desirable millionaires who spend all day engaging in orgies. That’s what most of us would reinvent ourselves as in real life, too, if we could. Seems both predictable and reasonable, to me.

Second Life was cool and amazing, early on, and always had tremendous potential. I think the people in charge didn’t know how to realize that potential. They were good at crafting a cool cyber world, but not so good at guiding it.

My Second Life name was Dick Behemoth.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
In a better timeline, Second Life adapted quickly and overtook social media as the dominant form of communication

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm not sure if I'd call Ready Player One a better timeline.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kinda turned out that the whole setup was only really at all useful for weird sex parties after the initial novelty wore off.

Eh, that's not entirely true that was just the easiest thing for people to make given that you could just buy some game currency and pay for whatever you needed. A lot of popular avatar stuff was geared toward making yourself look young, attractive, and fashionable. It took no real effort to set up that sort of thing given how many people were all about weird sex parties. Apparently a lot of them were also overweight, boring, middle-aged middle managers with nothing else going on in life. I found it sad more than anything when I found that out.

Originally the game was marketed toward the shooter game side of it based on the whole "you could program stuff to counter other stuff!!!" but that turned out to be more of a wet fart than anything for what should be obvious reasons. The artsy creative side did OK for a while but there was just plain more interest in weird sex parties than actual art. Tragic, in a way.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still hope VR technology becomes ubiquitous enough that Web 3.0 involves VR websites being normal, but we as a species seem to be bent on making sure nothing cool ever happens :smith:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
God is dead, so we're going to get VR corporate offices composed of people paid minimum wage in 12 different countries

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
That's loving awesome.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
How's Two Worlds doing these days? I wonder about him sometimes, I was one of the people he dragged into friendship briefly, we were facebook friends for a while too - he unfriended me finally when he noticed I was seeing someone. That was like 8 years ago and we haven't talked since.

Anyone still talking with him, or keeping tabs on him, or something? At that time he needed a loving supervisor, idk how he is now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Like everyone who gets permad I assume they died instantly.

My object permanence is based only on posts on the something awful forums

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have no idea how I was never in any thread Two Worlds ran rampant, but he's one of the few "notorious" posters that I never encountered.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There was also that guy in his Helldump who imo was even more pathetic than TW. He was a friend of TW and was basically trying to get people to like him by helping helldump on TW or somethign?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

EmmyOk posted:

There was also that guy in his Helldump who imo was even more pathetic than TW. He was a friend of TW and was basically trying to get people to like him by helping helldump on TW or somethign?

There are a lot of sad things about Helldump-oids, but one of the saddest to me is people who are willing to throw their friends under the bus to gain approval of/avoid the attention of Helldumpers. It's sad both because they always seem like people who don't exactly have friendships to burn, and because I'm not convinced this ever works for them.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Danaru posted:

I still hope VR technology becomes ubiquitous enough that Web 3.0 involves VR websites being normal, but we as a species seem to be bent on making sure nothing cool ever happens :smith:

Back in the 00's when SL was still all the rage I saw a website on Portal of Evil that would try to make a virtual world out of any URL you gave it. They were always jumbled choppy-framerate chaos and you could crash the site by recursively virtualizing already-virtualized pages. VR might actually make it feasible. I mean they'd still be nightmarish nonsense, but easy to navigate and with good fps.

Physically wading through stupid forum slapfights was good for a few laughs, a convincing paleofuturistic vision of cyberspace Hell

It was cripplingly slow and must have been really horrible to develop/admin to not have survived on sheer novelty value. I can think of a zillion "wonder what this would look like as a 3D universe lol" web pages

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Syd Midnight posted:

Back in the 00's when SL was still all the rage I saw a website on Portal of Evil that would try to make a virtual world out of any URL you gave it. They were always jumbled choppy-framerate chaos and you could crash the site by recursively virtualizing already-virtualized pages. VR might actually make it feasible. I mean they'd still be nightmarish nonsense, but easy to navigate and with good fps.

Physically wading through stupid forum slapfights was good for a few laughs, a convincing paleofuturistic vision of cyberspace Hell

It was cripplingly slow and must have been really horrible to develop/admin to not have survived on sheer novelty value. I can think of a zillion "wonder what this would look like as a 3D universe lol" web pages

this would make Twitter absolutely insane

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Antivehicular posted:

There are a lot of sad things about Helldump-oids, but one of the saddest to me is people who are willing to throw their friends under the bus to gain approval of/avoid the attention of Helldumpers. It's sad both because they always seem like people who don't exactly have friendships to burn, and because I'm not convinced this ever works for them.

And yet it didn't stop this catching on everywhere else on the internet!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Syd Midnight posted:

Hey guys I figured out how to put E/N on a monitor in SL, now you can stand there and read it.

lmgtfy?q=how+do+i+make+my+second+life+avatar+shake+his+head+but+with+shame

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I remember trying to get into Second Life to grief, but it ran like dogshit no matter what hardware I threw at it.

I am fairly confident that if I tried to run it now, on my desktop with a 1070 and 32 gigs of RAM, it would still run like dogshit

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The first time I ever heard of Something Awful was as a part of a 4chan Second Life raiding group that met up with an SA Second Life raiding group. Someone from the SA team gave me a gun that shot out a cube that spawned copies of itself exponentially and eventually crashed the map sector :unsmith:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The early 2000s were a weird time to be online and I do not miss them in the slightest

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I was not a good person or a good poster in the early 2000's. I think a lot of us are in better places now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mod Edit: Don't link to KiwiFarms

Somebody has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Apr 3, 2018

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Don't link to kiwifarms, please.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Paladinus posted:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BiggerBoat posted:

Mod Edit: Don't link to KiwiFarms

So do you professionally go out and stalk the mentally ill or is it just a hobby?

I can’t believe the internet has made the delusion of gang-stalking a real thing.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Apr 3, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Helldumping has professional leagues now.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Aw man PoE. I always wondered how many people from that site wandered here, SA had a lot of cross interests at the time.

I was way too young to be on it and never registered, but it was a great peanut gallery for weird poo poo you stumble across online.

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here

Paladinus posted:

Not emptyquoting. They made memes out of a friend's suicide note.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Judas Horse posted:

Not emptyquoting. They made memes out of a friend's suicide note.

Was it the guy who asked his parents to take a gender studies class? Because so did FYAD.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

A Spider Covets posted:

Aw man PoE. I always wondered how many people from that site wandered here, SA had a lot of cross interests at the time.

I was way too young to be on it and never registered, but it was a great peanut gallery for weird poo poo you stumble across online.

I came here from PoE

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What was PoE? Google just turns of Path of Exile and Pillars of Eternity

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

^^^^ Portal of Evil

I can't remember how I got here

on an entirely unrelated note I started smoking weed in 2003

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol the portal of evil ED entry opens up with a big goatse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

VanSandman posted:

So do you professionally go out and stalk the mentally ill or is it just a hobby?

I can’t believe the internet has made the delusion of gang-stalking a real thing.

No. He came up in the thread earlier and someone mentioned "what ever happened to Two Worlds"?

Sorry about the link.