Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Looks like the protomechs are all going topside. We probably need to get people up there to contest the high ground.

People also need to get their secondaries in because we could’ve definitely killed more then one mech this turn :)

Other then that we’re advancing together and that is always good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Without the nimble jumper quirk that the Spider had in the previous Luthein mission, there's no way to artificially extend your jump path to make it take you 5 hexes in to those woods for the +3 move mod. You'd get +2 movement and +1 from woods. You could just jump to 2329 facing 2328 to get +3 though. That gives you 3 base + 3 jumped + 2 enemy movement - 2 kick = 6 to hit, since I'm not sure if your cybernetics give you -1 to piloting like they do for gunnery.

The Sphinx would have 11 to hit you if you jumped, or 10 to hit you if you ran: 4 base + 2 ran + 2 TSEMP interference + (2 or 3, you running or jumping).

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Just a reminder to those who don't know: If I recall correctly, hitting the same target with two TSEMPs in the same turn will force a shutdown roll. Or it might force a shutdown outright.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If they want to all file out of the caves piecemeal into your gunline, you may as well let them.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Remind me how you calculate jump heat I’ve forgotten how :(

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Bloody Pom posted:

Just a reminder to those who don't know: If I recall correctly, hitting the same target with two TSEMPs in the same turn will force a shutdown roll. Or it might force a shutdown outright.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Hitting a target with TSEMP at all prompts a roll. Hitting with multiple TSEMPs imposes bonuses to the roll (more likely to shut down).

EDIT: Heat from jumping is one per hex jumped, minimum of 3 heat generated.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

TSEMP is a sliding scale. Against BattleMechs it does nothing half the time, gives a +2 to-hit on a 7-8, and forces a shutdown on a 9+. Multiple hits increase the die roll by +1, to a maximum of +4

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Affi posted:

Remind me how you calculate jump heat I’ve forgotten how :(

One point per hex.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

How does TSM work? I thought it was +2 MP, which would have made #1 a 4/6 and #7 a 6/9. What am I missing?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tsm kicks in at the start of your next turn.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Xarbala posted:

Tsm kicks in at the start of your next turn.

This is it. Or, to look at it a more mechanical way: your heat doesn't actually change until the end of your turn, even though most people keep a running tally during the turn. So TSM doesn't do anything until then.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Sorry, I was unclear. I'm asking about the unit cards for next turn, which show TSM as active.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
:killing:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

Sorry, I was unclear. I'm asking about the unit cards for next turn, which show TSM as active.

I forgot to adjust it. On both 'Mechs, so #1's actually at 4/6

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ardlen posted:

I think the card movement is just off- Legion 1 should be at 4/6 (5 base - 3 from heat + 2 from TSM). and Legion 7 should be a 6/9 (5 base - 1 heat + 2 tsm)

e:fb

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ardlen posted:

How does TSM work? I thought it was +2 MP, which would have made #1 a 4/6 and #7 a 6/9. What am I missing?

It's +1 walking MP and recalculating run MP from there

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

It's +1 walking MP and recalculating run MP from there

It's technically +2 Walking MP, but the heat penalties are already applying a -1 Walking MP at that point, so at 9 heat it effectively becomes +1 Walking MP.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mezzanon posted:

I was considering jumping over to the woods hex right next to the Sphinx and kicking it’s leg off.

Good/bad plan? Any way I can make my jump take a whole 5 hexes or do I only jump in a straight line?

Straight line. It's distance from starting hex moved, so no doubling back or other crazy flight schemes.

You could jump past him, to say 2329 and kick, or even Death From Above him and put your foot into his face (hopefully), though that would involve probably taking a lot of fire, especially the DFA which could be interrupted before you land if they shoot you hard enough :shrug:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 2, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Movement Phase
Legion #3 (Player)
- Invalid final facing: Hex 0734 is not adjacent, original facing kept.

:doh: Stupid typo on my part, I meant to land on 0834.

Since the Jaegermech didn't move, it's a mighty tempting target - but we might be better served by clearing the field of Mithrases first to remove a bunch of ER Large Lasers from play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Legion #6 (Player)
- Fires rHeavy PPC at watchtower hex 2335: No Line of Sight to target (blocked by radio tower 2234)!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at Clan MPP #1: No Line of Sight to target (blocked by radio tower 2234)!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at Clan MPP #1: No Line of Sight to target (blocked by radio tower 2234)!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 24!

There's no LOS from 2035 to 2335?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

My decision to fire at the towers if in doubt is looking better and better every moment.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Chronojam posted:

My decision to fire at the towers if in doubt is looking better and better every moment.

I'm suddenly wondering if the other two aren't worth pasting with a spare rHPPC shot apiece just in case they're more than set dressing and LOS blockers.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

There's no LOS from 2035 to 2335?

poo poo, I was drawing Line of Sight from #1.

I rolled an 8 and a 10 for AP Gauss Rifle damage which is more than enough to wipe out that infantry unit, so that's no longer in play.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I was reading the Night Lords novels last night. I almost think that the GoonLance could've done a "We have come for you" reference as well.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

Straight line. It's distance from starting hex moved, so no doubling back or other crazy flight schemes.

You could jump past him, to say 2329 and kick, or even Death From Above him and put your foot into his face (hopefully), though that would involve probably taking a lot of fire, especially the DFA which could be interrupted before you land if they shoot you hard enough ;0

Jumping 4 and landing in the (not sure if light or heavy) woods and then ppc and kick gives me very good odds to end the Sphinx. What’s my return fire looking like? (Sphinx has an army of lasers all at +2 due to tsemp)????

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mezzanon posted:

Jumping 4 and landing in the (not sure if light or heavy) woods and then ppc and kick gives me very good odds to end the Sphinx. What’s my return fire looking like? (Sphinx has an army of lasers all at +2 due to tsemp)????

2129 looks light light woods to me, if you're still wondering, so I think the Sphinx would be hitting you on 10s (4+2(TSEMP)+1(you moved 4)+2(Sphinx ran)+1(light woods)).

You'd also be at risk for eating ER Large Lasers and AP Gauss from at least 3 of the Mithras and whatever the Jaegermech throws your way. You could decline LOS from the Mad Dog if I'm figuring that right.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 2, 2018

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

2129 looks light light woods to me, if you're still wondering, so I think the Sphinx would be hitting you on 10s (4+2(TSEMP)+1(you moved 4)+2(Sphinx ran)+1(light woods)).

You'd also be at risk for eating ER Large Lasers and AP Gauss from at least 3 of the Mithras and whatever the Jaegermech throws your way. You could decline LOS from the Mad Dog if I'm figuring that right.

You missed the +1 for jumping, so it should be 11s. So it's a total +3 mod against everything (4 hexes, jump, light woods).

I'd say it's pretty safe from the Sphinx but I don't have too much time to number crunch on the other potential shooters until tomorrow. I'll have a lot of time to sit down, figure out the map, plot where I want to go and see what everyone else is trying to do/help run some math if people are trying to decide between certain moves or whatnot.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 2, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fraction Jackson posted:

You missed the +1 for jumping, so it should be 11s. So it's a total +3 mod against everything (4 hexes, jump, light woods).

I'd say it's pretty safe from the Sphinx but I don't have too much time to number crunch on the other potential shooters until tomorrow. I'll have a lot of time to sit down, figure out the map, plot where I want to go and see what everyone else is trying to do/help run some math for everyone.

I did miss that, because the quickstart rules don't have that in the chart. Now I know, thank you!

You won't be the only target of the other shooters - hopefully - so I'd say the risk there is sufficiently spread around the rest of us that you should be safe.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I did miss that, because the quickstart rules don't have that in the chart. Now I know, thank you!

No worries.

I'm pretty sure other people in the thread can attest that if there's one thing I do know about Battletech it's things involving jump jets so I just wanted to live up to my reputation there.

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012
How effective is AP Gauss against vehicular targets, damage wise? I'm sure it came up before, but I can't recall

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

chktshadeclaw posted:

How effective is AP Gauss against vehicular targets, damage wise? I'm sure it came up before, but I can't recall

3 damage. Honestly not bad for 1 heat and relatively long range.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 2, 2018

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
Blank post because I answered my own question

Leith Maclaine fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 2, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

poo poo, I was drawing Line of Sight from #1.

I rolled an 8 and a 10 for AP Gauss Rifle damage which is more than enough to wipe out that infantry unit, so that's no longer in play.

Whew OK I was going nuts trying to figure out what the new LOS rules must be! Thanks. :)

Also this means no enemies behind us as we advance, yay

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Leperflesh posted:

Whew OK I was going nuts trying to figure out what the new LOS rules must be! Thanks. :)

Also this means no enemies behind us as we advance, yay

Until those Protomechs swarm down out of the upper level behind us and play hammer to the anvil. Maybe half of us should go topside and delay the protos until the lower levels get cleared out.

The lower lances could come up behind the protos and pincer them in turn?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It looks like the only reason to rush the tunnels is to prevent the Turkina Z from finishing it's repairs. The train that you need to kill appears to be coming out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

It looks like the only reason to rush the tunnels is to prevent the Turkina Z from finishing it's repairs. The train that you need to kill appears to be coming out.

There's also the advantage, possibly, of forcing close distances (to get kicks in) and restricting lines of sight (to reduce incoming fire) but yes I agree.

I'm (#6, red right shoulder blue left shoulder) currently planning to jump 5 to the light woods in 1931, facing 2030. That gives me several choices of shots this turn, makes use of the light woods for cover, and next turn I can either run 8 to 2727 for a high move mod, or jump to 2026 for possible partial cover and a little more heat. Either way does not shut off the option of jumping topside to go into the tunnels up there. Whatever we do, I suggest we do it in (at least) pairs, nobody should head into a tunnel entrance totally alone.

Oh hey, Can a protomech occupy the same hex as a battlemech, the way vehicles can? Those two tunnels topside may get too crowded for the enemy to advance efficiently if they can't. Could be very nice option to plug four mechs up there, two per tunnel, and just fill them with burning wreckage.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Leperflesh posted:

Oh hey, Can a protomech occupy the same hex as a battlemech, the way vehicles can? Those two tunnels topside may get too crowded for the enemy to advance efficiently if they can't. Could be very nice option to plug four mechs up there, two per tunnel, and just fill them with burning wreckage.

Looks like protomechs count as vehicles for purposes of unit stacking in hexes; that is to say, up to two units per side, but only one of the four can be a Battlemech. So no bodyblocking in the tunnels, so far as I can see.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, they'll very much try for the "run between the legs" maneuver. Which puts them at convenient kicking range but doesn't stop them from escaping on the next turn.

It might be fun to try but it'd also make you vulnerable to frenzy attacks in turn. Not that ProtoMech Frenzy attacks are particularly dangerous to anything but infantry.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 2, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Quick question, since it looks like my PPC is on my left arm:

Can I: Jump 4 hexes to 2129, face north, fire my PPC at the tank that's slightly to my left and then throw a kick at the sphinx that will be on my right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's fire arc dependent but as long as the Sphinx is in one of your 3 front hexes you can kick it.

• Locked thread